Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu will lose to Apple TV and Netflix if they continue being complacent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu will lose to Apple TV and Netflix if they continue being complacent...

I hope one day they figure a way to encode HDX downloads with HD Audio, at that point, Id not ever get anything optical again.

Only reason Im buying the Alien flicks, is I know the audio will be awesome.

Im a big PQ guy, and Ive actually stopped recording about 7 weekly tv shows, and buy them off Amazon for 94 cents each, per week. My locals, even OTA, dont look very good. If all studios would go to 99 cent rentals in HD, Id probably drop pay tv. The PQ of Top Gear in 1080i, from Amazon VOD, is AWESOME.

Comment

Originally posted by randym431 View Post
      I have then all. ATV is good in that thru itunes you have a hard copy you can xfer and play on the other apple devices. VUDU is great in that you can now own for as little as $5 and they have some really hard to find movies like the old TERMINAL MAN and PARENTS (two of my favs). I too am worried about collecting a lot of vudu purchases then having vudu go belly up. Thats exactly what happened to wal-marts movie program they once offered a long time ago. Called walmart movie downloads, walmart closed it down and if your movie content rights got messed up (as it always did), walmart wasn't there to fix it. So bye bye purchases.
      As to 720p vs ??? I think 720 looks just fine for 99% most people. We're getting too picky about 720 vs 1080 for most people to even see a difference with your average 42" HDTV. And I believe if the new 3D tv catches on (doubtful...), those 3D movies are all in 720P ???

I like vudu but might add the vudu "box" to have a hard drive. I like ATV cause I can play movies on ipad and iphone also, and have a hard copy. Vudu's media pricing and available content is so far a huge plus for them. But with all this media streaming war going on you have to be nervous.
      I heard about Walmart's foray into the digital download domain.......I think VUDU would be wise to address this issue in order to satisfy their customers...I personally have 160 movies that I own via VUDU.......I don't think they would be foolish enough to offer films for purchase then down the line go belly up, with customers left holding the bag.........That would not be good business.....I did not see any reference to this issue in their TOS, unless I missed something.....If I decide I do not want a movie anymore and delete it, then of course I would have to pay to purchase it again later, but customers should not be penalized if VUDU goes away........

One thing you said, what kind of "hard copy" are you referring to? Can you download a film to a hard drive for archival reasons? Just curious....

Comment

I see VUDU will be available on Boxee now.
        This will be a welcome addition for VUDU access.

Vudu’s HD On-Demand Movie Service Arrives on Boxee

Comment

I see red box may partner with walmart for their streaming service. Wonder where vudu fits in there?

Comment

Originally posted by elwaylite View Post
            I see red box may partner with walmart for their streaming service. Wonder where vudu fits in there?
            we now need it on PS3 with a monthly subscription option

..... if they can get onto the Sony platform - that will be great.

It seems the management is starting to listen to its customers....

Comment

...another streaming service entrant....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/r...ess-next-year/

Comment

The interesting thing there is, it has been said Walmart is a potential partner.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I read there will be no partnering with Walmart due to the Boxee deal....Why this is I don't know....

Comment

I'm using a BD player for vudu and can tell you that vudu is the best streaming rental there is. It's the only provider that can offer the most 1080p with surround sound new movies. I would say that XBOX 360 Live Zune comes in second.

Remember, they are a rental/purchase (I only buy optical media) service and do it well. They have new movies. Others, to include your precious apple only do 720p and good luck getting the HT HD experience without at least 5.1 surround sound.

Netflix is good for the newish movies via mail on optical media. Their streaming service is okay at best because they are ONLY stereo. The next issue is that they have little HD content and only 720p. The REAL problem with Netflix is that they have OLDER movies for streaming. The is THE BIGGEST problem.

I like buying Blu-ray movies but am selective at what I purchase. I then like the optical media coming in but that process is slow. I only do one at a time because it gets expensive quickly. The all-you-can-eat streaming is what catches most people, as long as they're okay watching older flicks.

Then there are movies I don't want to buy that I don't want to wait for in the mail and want to stream. I like to watch the action ones in HD and surround sound so that leaves me with FiOS and on-demand. I subscribe to all the premium channels and look there first. If I can't find it then I'll see what they have for paid on-demand. This delivery mechanism is practically flawless and the best quality. The next choice is vudu and then Zune.

The rest of the movies can be found with the other services and they can usually be viewed via my plasma's speakers. This is where "value" comes in where you see where you can rent it the cheapest if Netflix streaming doesn't have it.

None has every movie ever made. It's like your cable provider, all the channels and "free" on-demand are like the Netflix streaming service (only better quality) where you wont find the new stuff. The paid on-demand stuff is the optical media part but you don't have to wait, but it will cost you extra with the cable provider per movie (but you pay for it with the amount of optical discs you can have out at once - 8 DVD @ 48).

Having a subscription service and a rental service complement each other. They can both coexist.

Comment

The real question is what does happen to physical media in the next 5 years. Blu-ray hasn't stopped the decline in sales media as many in the industry has predicted. Look at video rental stores gone, Netflix is hanging on due to their efficient distribution network and their foray into streaming, but even they have reached "saturation" and their rapid customer acquisition has ceased.

Streaming delivery of high quality content is the future. VUDU has an advantage right now they are selling and renting of content the day it's released by the distributors and there seems to be more titles each week that allows the purchase of HDX content.

I have a lot of friends that use Netflix that have commented that the Netflix streaming service is their "B Movie" experience. This leaves first run titles to their disk delivery model. Also the "all you can consume" for one price was great in the early days of subscribing to Netflix but lately they just don't watch as many disks. I will openly admit that I don't subscribe to Netflix so I can only use their comments in my example.

Apple TV doesn't allow the purchase of content through their device, and they seem to forgot that HD goes beyond 720p. For the long term I can see the partnership with Netflix to be the primary way that Apple keeps their name on the TV Screen with Apple TV since Apple cannot provide a tightly controlled distribution for studio content like they did with the iPod and iTunes.

VUDU, Netflix, and CinemaNow are vying for the eye of video content and embedding their services into as many devices is great and allows for competition. Each consumer will chose what features and quality and make their own determination of the service that meets it. I am one that see VUDU on top in the long term in the area of quality content delivered instantly.

Comment

Super post, Ron.....I see more and more HDX content for purchase as well, hardly any from major studios, except Disney.....Quite frankly, I think the state of the economy has a lot to do with the decline in disc sales..With a nearly 10% unemployment rate and no end in sight for that, it doesn't surprise me....

I hope you are right about VUDU's future, but who knows what will happen in 5 years time....This nation is in crisis and so many people don't see the light at the end of the tunnel is a train....I think the VUDU service is the best thing going right now and I am investing in it...The studios need to get a grip on what is happening in the real world......Hopefully, they will.....
                        Another fly in the ointment are the ISP's....Are they gonna just sit back and let their distribution systems become dumb pipes? I don't think so....They have a lot of money tied up in video distribution and will not go quietly into the night.......This is the one thing I am concerned about regarding streaming video.......They can start streaming services themselves, that could threaten third party entities to go out of business or get out of the streaming game.....Walmart ditched streaming once before, but to be fair lately I have seen a commitment from them to invest into the VUDU service and so far I am impressed.....

In terms of VUDU being a distributor of quality, they will need to show VALUE to the consumer...There are a lot of VOD services to compete with....The average consumer is not as obsessed with PQ as we may be....There has to be other reasons for a consumer to pick VUDU over a competitor.....The plus in their corner is that they have the worlld's largest retailer backing them...Who knows more about value than Walmart......

Comment

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/22/n...n-bumps-unlim/

not to be negative.. but I knew this was coming... they will go HD all the way on us soon...

Give us a monthly plan say SD for $15, HD for $30, and HDX for $45.... I'll buy...

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                            I have a lot of friends that use Netflix that have commented that the Netflix streaming service is their "B Movie" experience. This leaves first run titles to their disk delivery model. Also the "all you can consume" for one price was great in the early days of subscribing to Netflix but lately they just don't watch as many disks. I will openly admit that I don't subscribe to Netflix so I can only use their comments in my example.

In the early days of Netflix it was a pay per disc model. You payed for each rented disc. This was the case when I first joined Netflix in the late 90's. The only reason I ever switched to the "all you can consume" model was because I was forced to. They had introduced it and I had no plans of changing to that. But eventually they elimintaed the pay per disc plan and i was forced into the "all you can consume" model.
                            Which in the end worked out even better.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                              In the early days of Netflix it was a pay per disc model. You payed for each rented disc. This was the case when I first joined Netflix in the late 90's. The only reason I ever switched to the "all you can consume" model was because I was forced to. They had introduced it and I had no plans of changing to that. But eventually they elimintaed the pay per disc plan and i was forced into the "all you can consume" model.
                              Which in the end worked out even better.
                              Yes I was reading some blogs today that folks have had netflix DVD's sitting on coffee tables for months at a time. As the "all you consume" of the "great" titles run thin they are now getting the to the bottom of their movie queue and don't show much interest in watching as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X