Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Let me get this straight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me get this straight.

I have the original "box" BX100, have had it for almost two years now. Several features seem to have been removed in this recent update and I'd like to validate that I'm not missing something special as they are features that are no longer supported.
    1. Wish List.
    2. Pre-Download (Cache) any movie I choose to rent (and pay for).
    3. Not require internet access to use/view something I have downloaded already.

Now for some people these items were not overly significant, but in an attempt to sit down and watch IronMan 2 tonight that I paid for 15 days ago (and presumably pre-downloaded at the time). I selected the movie and was all ready to watch and all I got was a hesitating pausing display of the Paramount Studios animation and splotchy audio, assuming there was an issue I fast forwarded and it contines through the movie. I went around through the menus and found that the movie did not seem to be downloaded. I started the download again and now since my connection is not overly quick (1.5Mb) I now have some 3-4 hours for it to download and have to start watching it tomorrow before 21 hours has passed so I can finish it before my time runs out.

Very unsatisfied with the experience with this update and hope some of this is resolved soon.

Re: Let me get this straight.

I am a STB owner too. As I understand it....

1. Wish List - Wish List functionality is still there, though you will have to re-build the list you had.

2. downloading - there is still the option to download to watch later, but the default is streaming. Now, I understand there is a bug in brazil where the software thinks the hard drive is full when it actually isn't. Based on what has been posted in other threads a bug has been filed to create a correction in an upcoming release.

3. Need for Internet access even for a downloaded movie. - I saw a very brief mention of that in another thread and that surprised me too. They used to actually sell travel kits for the STB. Now you can't take it away on vacation or whatever.

losing the wishlist was somewhat frustrating but I have since rebuilt it. I do want to see the downloading bug corrected though I have to say i streamed a movie over the weekend and it was pretty impressive. I've never moved my vudu or attempted to watch a movie while not connected to my router but I could see where that would be an issue for those who commonly used that feature.

Comment

Times, technology, and the market does change. Based on the statistics so far 20% of internet bandwidth is used just to stream video content. In my opinion VUDU made the correct choice to embed their software in internet enabled appliances such as LG and VIZIO.

I too have dedicated VUDU boxes and have always been impressed how they have made the effort to keep their older technology devices "alive" with software updates. When you think about it the cost of supporting the old delivery model and the new streaming model a company has to make a financial choice and I am glad they made the decision to invest in the development and keep the dedicated VUDU box alive in the world of streaming.

Comment

Being able to download movies and use the box remotely without an internet connection was the only reason we still had one of the old boxes (we have 4 LG Bluray players with Vudu). I guess this means we will replace that one with the streaming device too.

Comment

I'm in an area with subpar HSI, so the bx100 with hdx downloads is paramount to me. If I could get like 20 Mbps down cable or something, I would be fine with all streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
            Times, technology, and the market does change. Based on the statistics so far 20% of internet bandwidth is used just to stream video content. In my opinion VUDU made the correct choice to embed their software in internet enabled appliances such as LG and VIZIO.

I too have dedicated VUDU boxes and have always been impressed how they have made the effort to keep their older technology devices "alive" with software updates. When you think about it the cost of supporting the old delivery model and the new streaming model a company has to make a financial choice and I am glad they made the decision to invest in the development and keep the dedicated VUDU box alive in the world of streaming.
            I agree with a lot of what you said, Ron......100% on VUDU continuing to support the STB....If 20% of bandwidth is being used for streaming NOW, you know darn well the ISP's are not going to stand by and let streaming gobble up their video-oriented business, they can place caps on bandwidth, that will seriously damage streaming's growth... There are a lot of people out there who don't have the bandwidth to stream, their only option is to download....That is why I think VUDU included the ability to download in Brazil, but they can even expand this functionality more......I am happy about VUDU keeping the box alive, but the service needs to expand more to provide portability.....Netflix is practically ubiquitous......They are on other mfg's set-tops, etc..... Believe it or don't, I feel STB's are still needed for those people who want a hard-drive based solution, or already have a TV or Blu player.......

I like the idea of cloud storage of movies, and VUDU's ability to change things, upgrades, interface tweaks, etc. immediately......I would like to archive my films locally.....i.e., if there was any way to upgrade the HDD in the box, to allow for downloading of films to it, that would allow the box to be transported to my cottage, 2nd residence, etc.....I know there isn't a way because the drive is married to the box.........but it would be nice, just a thought..

Comment

Originally posted by elwaylite View Post
              I'm in an area with subpar HSI, so the bx100 with hdx downloads is paramount to me. If I could get like 20 Mbps down cable or something, I would be fine with all streaming.
              The weird thing to me is, you can download the HDX movie to the hard drive on your STB (assuming they fix the outstanding bug) so what is the internet requirement for? It almost sounds like the Brazil software needs to be able to phone home for some purpose regardless of whether you are streaming or have downloaded.

I would really be interested in understanding more about this - why is the internet required for a downloaded movie. As I mentioned above, I've never unhooked my stb from my router in the 3 years I've owned it. But I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
                The weird thing to me is, you can download the HDX movie to the hard drive on your STB (assuming they fix the outstanding bug) so what is the internet requirement for? It almost sounds like the Brazil software needs to be able to phone home for some purpose regardless of whether you are streaming or have downloaded.

I would really be interested in understanding more about this - why is the internet required for a downloaded movie. As I mentioned above, I've never unhooked my stb from my router in the 3 years I've owned it. But I am curious.
                I agree, and would like to know. Wonder if it's a drm deal.

Comment

You have no idea how bad it REALLY is.
                  You have NO downloads anymore...
                  You can't view ANY MOVIE YOU PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED AND STORED without an internet connection....

And if you leave VUDU.....
                  ALL of your purchases are gone!

Please read my October 30th post titled "Like a thief in the night" (assuming the moderators let it through) and you will be 'enlightened'.
                  They are NOT going to get away with this.
                  I'm letting everyone know that i can touch just what they have done.

Hit me back.
                  dh1960

Comment

No question, it is a DRM thing......The studios want to maintain control over their product, to make sure one has the proper license to view a film....It appears in the digital domain, Licenses are the thing......You don't own the film, per se in the physical sense, but license it......Yes, I have purchased a lot of films via VUDU, and there is a reason for that......

The studios will have to change their strategy big-time when the economy goes into it's death spiral....They will lose customers because people won't have any money to go to, rent, or buy movies...The licensing scheme presently in effect, particularly for purchases, is arcane to say the least.......I again read the VUDU TOS and the restrictions are incredible.....Despite this, I decided to support the service anyway, and it has served me well thus far, but I still can't understand what happens if VUDU goes under.....Why are the licenses non-transferable( I don't mean to another name, but to another service if VUDU goes under) is beyond me....Does that mean I lose hundreds of dollars in films just like that? Before that happens I hope a Digital Rights Locker, i.e. UltraViolet, will be in place which will allow access to purchased content no matter where it was bought.....

I just hope the legalese of the TOS will not be the case in real life, as Wal-Mart's reputation will be at stake, I hope they show respect for the people who supported their venture into digital distribution.......We shall see.....

Comment

So if the connection requirement is due to DRM, then how is it I can rent a movie in iTunes load it onto my iDevice and turn off the antenna's and watch it during the license period on that? I don't need an internet connection to watch a movie, this is a draconian work around for a problem that didn't exist.

In a way I'm much more the renter than the buyer as far as movies so I'm not at nearly as much risk as many out there, but "progress" isn't always progress.

Comment

Are these HD movies you are talking about? I agree with your sentiment about this issue.....The new Boxee situation for example, one can view only SD content using a PC or Mac, I'm not sure if movies can be downloaded via the software.....On the box itself HD formats can be viewed......

I do not blame VUDU for this situation, these are agreements that were made with the studios because they are the content owners, they put draconian restrictions on what a consumer can do with their content.......I am all for the fair use doctrine, particularly when it comes to purchases.....I should be able to download and store my films locally, not require an internet connection to play them, etc.......As I have said before, the day will come where the main concern for families in this country will be putting food on the table, not what movie am I gonna watch, and Hollywood can go to he**!! Hollywood, in it's arrogant wisdom does not recognize the economic situation yet, but they will in due time, they will have to loosen up or go bankrupt....

If they are so worried about piracy, why do some movies open overseas(where the pirates are) before the North American market? Things that make one go HMMMM!

Comment

My guess is this is a restriction imposed by the Brazil platform rather than a DRM issue. Downloading and disconnecting from the internet was not an issue prior to the upgrade. There was a thread on one of the other boards (what don't you like board) where a poster was pretty upset. He claimed any movies purchased under the old platform were wiped off the hard drives of the stb's and had to be streamed each time from here forward. Not sure if that is true or not, but here is his thread:

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=37991

Personally, I don't purchase anything digitally that I can't make my own backup of. So, I only rent from vudu for that reason but this guy claims to have had hundreds of movies beween multiple stb's that were simply gone.

Comment

Just to offer a counter perspective. I wouldn't buy anything that I had to store on hardware in my house. I would only buy movies that my license lived in the cloud. I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours managing a home digital video library. I just want to own the right to stream movies if I own them at all. Realistically I find that renting makes much more sense for me from a monetary standpoint anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
                              I am a STB owner too. As I understand it....

1. Wish List - Wish List functionality is still there, though you will have to re-build the list you had.

2. downloading - there is still the option to download to watch later, but the default is streaming. Now, I understand there is a bug in brazil where the software thinks the hard drive is full when it actually isn't. Based on what has been posted in other threads a bug has been filed to create a correction in an upcoming release.

3. Need for Internet access even for a downloaded movie. - I saw a very brief mention of that in another thread and that surprised me too. They used to actually sell travel kits for the STB. Now you can't take it away on vacation or whatever.

losing the wishlist was somewhat frustrating but I have since rebuilt it. I do want to see the downloading bug corrected though I have to say i streamed a movie over the weekend and it was pretty impressive. I've never moved my vudu or attempted to watch a movie while not connected to my router but I could see where that would be an issue for those who commonly used that feature.

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.

Comment

Working...
                              X