Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Blu-Ray Pricing Heading Up, Not Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray Pricing Heading Up, Not Down?

Well there were new players announced this week:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/26...yer-costs-17k/

$17,000 for a player...I think I will skip this one

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/26...y-players-sin/

Comes in about $400 to $500. Still too much for the masses....and don't forget the studios are shooting for an average disk price of $25+

Re: Blu-Ray Pricing Heading Up, Not Down?

Originally posted by RonV View Post
    Well there were new players announced this week:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/26...yer-costs-17k/

$17,000 for a player...I think I will skip this one
    I just bought one the other day so I could have something to set my VUDU box on.

Does anyone have any experience with Sony LCD's, good or bad?

I'm thinking about buying one. So far I've pretty much stuck to Aquos.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
      I just bought one the other day so I could have something to set my VUDU box on.

Does anyone have any experience with Sony LCD's, good or bad?

I'm thinking about buying one. So far I've pretty much stuck to Aquos.
      The best place to look for feedback on Sony is on AVS forum. I just read somewhere that Sharp is now producing the "Glass" for Sony.

Comment

I'm not real happy with Sony these days. I've been a big Sony fan in the past, but in the last 12 months, I have had a 4 year old Sony TV go on the blink (replaced with an Aquos), a 4 year old Sony receiver die (center channel went intermittent) and a 3 year old DVD player die.

My 37" XBR from 1994 still works great down at my parent's house (replaced it with my 50" LG plasma) and my 13" Sony from 1986 still works well. I also have a Sony Digital 8mm camera that works well.

So I guess I have a mixed feeling about them. I have heard though that their quality is on the way back up. I've heard nothing but good things about their new TVs and the BluRay stuff is very nice.

Comment

Ron, I'd not worry too much about prices for Blu-Ray. Sony's players aren't scheduled to be released for a few months and could be adjusted before the release based on market prices for other Blu-Ray players. Also, we probably shouldn't expect to see cheap players from Sony due to its brand positioning. Now that Blu-Ray is the only option, more manufacturers will jump in and reduce costs just like with DVD players.

With regards to media prices, it'd be nice to see them come down. Up to this point, you couldn't really rely on MSRP or even street prices because of constant promotions. It'd be interesting to see how many promos will happen now that Blu-Ray Group doesn't have to compete with HD-DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            I'm not real happy with Sony these days. I've been a big Sony fan in the past, but in the last 12 months, I have had a 4 year old Sony TV go on the blink (replaced with an Aquos), a 4 year old Sony receiver die (center channel went intermittent) and a 3 year old DVD player die.

My 37" XBR from 1994 still works great down at my parent's house (replaced it with my 50" LG plasma) and my 13" Sony from 1986 still works well. I also have a Sony Digital 8mm camera that works well.

So I guess I have a mixed feeling about them. I have heard though that their quality is on the way back up. I've heard nothing but good things about their new TVs and the BluRay stuff is very nice.
            Thanks for the feedback.

I forgot to say in my last post, that I'm totally happy with Aquos, but as far as I know, they don't yet have a 120Hz model with 5:5 pulldowns yet. (as per my signature).

Comment

Blu-Ray prices dropping? Nope.

Sony's two new Blu-Ray players since the death of HD DVD are priced at $400 and $500. As of now there is no indication of Blu-Ray software prices dropping either. What happened to prices dropping as soon as there was a single format? The $500 model there is technically a profile 2.0 player, but still, $500 so that it can now do what every HD DVD player could do three months ago? These are still WAY out of reach for the average consumer when it comes to DVD players. Hopefully this will bolster HD VoD services such as Vudu. I certainly hope so.

Comment

It's way, way too soon to start talking about price drops on BluRay hardware. These are higher end boxes and they were in development and pricing was planned long before HD-DVD went the way of the Edsel. Until the "Chinese Dissident Prison Labor" hardware suppliers start cranking out BluRay players that sell at CVS, we won't see a tremendous amount of cost reduction. The Blue lasers are much more expensive to produce than red lasers (it's a more expensive process and the yields are lower). Part of the high cost has been due to it being a new market but part is also due to the fact that component prices are simply higher.

Volumes have to increase in order for prices to come down. But they have dropped by nearly 50% in the last year or so. Not long ago, a Sony BluRay player cost you between $800 and $1000. Now, it's going to be $400...

Comment

And still not capable of what a $100 HD DVD player could do.

Comment

And when was there ever a $100 HD-DVD player where that was not a fire sale price?

Comment

And when was there ever a $100 HD-DVD player where that was not a fire sale price?
                      Actually mine was $149 in November of last year....not a fire sale...and it still does more than BD does today. Remember BD is still in devlopment and still doesn't have a manditory requirement for PIP support or network enhancments as HD-DVD did.

Comment

Well then lets say $150 which was the retail price for the A3.

Comment

Let's not turn this into a flashback to the format war, but it's a well-documented fact that Toshiba sold players below cost even before fire-sales that followed Warner Bros. defection. Sure, they weren't losing as much as they were in the beginning when HD-DVD players were actually PCs, but they still subsidized prices enough for pretty much all other manufacturers to get out of HD-DVD player business except for dual-format players (even cheap Venturer couldn't compete).

Bottom line is that in 2-3 months we will have final spec'd 2.0 players (<$300, I bet) and all will be good. This is just like DVD rollout when there was some messy stuff with hardware. Also, Blu-Ray players WILL get cheaper due to new smaller/cheaper laser components that were annouced recently.

P.S. FYI, I don't own either format and may not get a Blu-Ray player at all if Vudu keeps improving

Comment

I doubt I'll ever use my HD-DVD player to play HD-DVD titles again, but fortunately it works well as a progressive scan player for regular DVD's. So my investment wasn't a total loss.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
                              I doubt I'll ever use my HD-DVD player to play HD-DVD titles again, but fortunately it works well as a progressive scan player for regular DVD's. So my investment wasn't a total loss.
                              I'll still be using mine. I have 6 HD DVD players now with over 350 titles. And I have over 180 BD titles with two players.
                              But even with all those HD DVD/BD titles, my VUDU boxes are still getting more love from me.

Comment

Working...
                              X