Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Possible to permanently turn off purchase only movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possible to permanently turn off purchase only movies?

Originally posted by Broman View Post
    2. Larger purchasable library. Rent library seems equal with the ATV2
    Actually, Vudu has something like 4000 movies for rental. ATV2 has less than 1000.

ATV2 has the advantage of:
    1. IMHO cleaner interface
    Only in the UI. Trying to RW/FF through content on ATV is a nightmare. Yeah, there is chaptering but try skipping backwards 5 seconds quickly to hear missed dialog on ATV. It's no where near as clean in that area as Vudu.

5. Slightly larger HD movie selection
    By what measure? Vudu has over 100 HD movies now. ATV was to have 100 by the end of Feb. But since there's no way to get counts on ATV unless you do it manually, I guess we don't really know now do we?

Movie pricing seems almost the same on both units. Apple's cheaper on the HD movies, Vudu has some older movies that are cheap to rent. I think in the end it'll even itself out and they are really both on par.
    Agreed. They are pretty close and each has some advantages over the other. Neither is a clear cut winner at this point. It all has to do with your preferences and what you want. I agree with any of your points that I didn't dispute! Apple has the edge on TV shows, podcasts, etc. Both just make life more fun!

As for continuing to make things better - ATV has been out for over a year and there have been 2 additional software releases. Vudu has been out for not even 6 months and there have been 6 software releases. Vudu's plan is to roll out new updates approximately every 4 to 6 weeks. Each update adds new and improved functionality or features. I wonder how long it will take Apple to come out with a new update that isn't just bug fixes.

Back on topic, I believe that sooner rather than later, that Vudu is going to have the features you want. It will not be the same box 6 months from now it is today. I doubt you can say that about your ATV.

Comment

wow... I get told to stay on topic from one Mod and then another comes in and corrects my personal opinions. Interesting.

Either way, I'm not putting out $300 in the hopes that the company does something I'm looking for down the road. ATV2 does what I want now in the interface. ATV2 isn't flawless or a complete package either. My major gripes are the crappy Apple remote (can use a universal remote which makes up for a lot), as well as the heat and esthetics of the unit itself. Beyond that I was just trying to buy a different interface for a second TV and was lead to believe that my experience could be better with the Vudu. For me, I think ATV2 is a better interface and choice. The 30 day guarantee is a nice offer from Vudu. I do appreciate that.

but to get back on topic...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
        It's your choice, but given how simple it is to set the filters to "Available to Rent", I'm surprised.
        BTW you are correct it is simple. However I dislike having to do it every time I go to find a movie. Permanent selection or the ability to turn off purchase only was the topic of the thread.

Comment

wow... I get told to stay on topic from one Mod and then another comes in and corrects my personal opinions. Interesting.
          Yeah, well I'm a rebel. And I made a feeble attempt to bring it back to the topic at the end.

And I apologize if you feel I was trying to correct your personal opinion. I can't do that no matter how hard I try. I was simply attempting to engage in discussion on the topic and give you my opinions. I agree with most of what you say.

And given what you want, perhaps Vudu isn't the right thing for you right now and that's fine. Maybe some day it will evolve into what you want and then you can always buy one down the road a bit.

At the least, I am glad you came in here asking the questions. I'm sorry we weren't able to give you the answer or answers you wanted to hear.

Comment

BTW you are correct it is simple. However I dislike having to do it every time I go to find a movie. Permanent selection or the ability to turn off purchase only was the topic of the thread.
            OK. I have to ask. Given that you acknowledge it is simple, is that really the only reason you are returning the box? It really doesn't sound like a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I'm curious if maybe there is more behind your decision to return it.

Comment

I think, the OP should be concerned with how much content is available on AppleTV (movies; iTunes still rules TV). Macworld came out with a story yesterday that says that there are only about 400 movies for rent on ATV. Compare this with 4,000-odd rentals on Vudu.

Comment

Either way, I'm not putting out $300 in the hopes that the company does something I'm looking for down the road. ATV2 does what I want now in the interface. ATV2 isn't flawless or a complete package either. My major gripes are the crappy Apple remote (can use a universal remote which makes up for a lot), as well as the heat and esthetics of the unit itself. Beyond that I was just trying to buy a different interface for a second TV and was lead to believe that my experience could be better with the Vudu. For me, I think ATV2 is a better interface and choice. The 30 day guarantee is a nice offer from Vudu. I do appreciate that.

but to get back on topic...
                Well my 2 cents.

I have both ATV and VUDU and am just getting into the actually using them mode instead of evaluation mode.

And so far just from personal experience I'm watching more VUDU than ATV.

Not because I'm biased one way or the other, but because VUDU has a better selection of movies I want to watch that also contain my minimum quality requirements of DVD quality or better AND DD5.1 audio.

I'm a rental only person and agree it's a pain to waid thru VUDU to find what I want. But I find it a bigger pain to find what I want with ATV.

We just finished watching Trade and In my Backdoor, on VUDU. Both of them pretty much sucked but the picture and sound quality definitely met or exceeded our expectations.

So go with ATV, but in my opinion you might think twice about keeping them both as a way to increase your options for obtaining and viewing content.

Regards

Comment

Yes it is a big factor. On the ATV2 if you see a movie anywhere on the screen you can rent it, otherwise it doesn't show up. On the Vudu I keep feeling let down or frustrated because movies I'd like to rent are purchase only. Out of sight out of mind IMHO is better if your purely a movie renter

Between having to check that off each time for a search, as well as some general interface aesthetics compared to the ATV2, I don't think the value is there at this price point for me.

Comment

Between having to check that off each time for a search, as well as some general interface aesthetics compared to the ATV2, I don't think the value is there at this price point for me.
                    And you don't consider the lack of content on ATV as reducing its value more than "having to check off each time"? I am having a hard time understanding that. This really sounds like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Comment

For newer movies I'm not having an issue finding stuff to watch. I suppose for older films it would be more comprehensive with Vudu. I've actually found things on the ATV that Vudu doesn't have and vice versa. Maybe my perception is off, but It feels as though ATV is getting some films before Vudu. Haven't had the Vudu long enough to test that out. Either way I don't feel short changed by apples content, which I think your driving at.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have picked some older films to watch only to have bad luck in selection and have it be a purchase only. This is very frustrating. While it can be solved by checking off the rent only button I don't like having to use the genre search feature every time I want to find a movie. The main screen for example, it's a mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                        It's your choice, but given how simple it is to set the filters to "Available to Rent", I'm surprised. There's even some titles that you see in there that are purchase only that you might want to buy.
                        It would be nice if the "Available to Rent" filter were even simpler; that is, make so that it stays on permanently. I am a "rental only" person, but will buy occasionally. But if I buy, I want to own the actual DVD. Another option with Apple TV is you can use a program like Handbrake (on my Mac), borrow or rent a DVD (say from Netflix), and rip and transfer the movie to Apple TV and play it later at your leisure (and return the DVD to Netflix and get the next DVD in your cue!).

Nonetheless, I really enjoy Vudu and hope it succeeds--but it would be great to be able to turn on a permanent "rental only" filter.

Comment

Why not just add a "rental only" option on the home screen?

Comment

Originally posted by orccro1 View Post
                            Why not just add a "rental only" option on the home screen?
                            Well, we've asked for the ability to have a user preferences setting where you go in and set what genres, studios, star ratings, rental or purchase status, etc. that you want to see by default. You could always manually go in and change it for the short term but your default prefs would be across the board until changed.

We'll ask for it again.

I think this would be something that would suit everyone.

My biggest question is there are contractual obligations with the studios on showing certain films (ie: if we put this movie up for rental, then you must show users this other film that is purchase only).

Comment

And the only way to get around that would be a filter you can implement to only filter rental titles, which the VUDU has.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                                And the only way to get around that would be a filter you can implement to only filter rental titles, which the VUDU has.
                                It would be great if this filter was global and permanent. That's my beef with the system. For me, it's all about the letdown of selecting a purchase only movie.

I think Vudu probably has the leverage now that they've proven it's a viable movie revenue option for the studios. Apple isn't being forced to include both... I would imagine the possibility is there for Vudu to negotiate for the sake of the end users who want to rent only.

I think having the box hit the end user with all filters off and giving the user the option to go in to the system and turn off purchase movies is quite reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                                X