Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU Version 1.3 Sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU Version 1.3 Sighting

Originally posted by rstone View Post
    I purchased the movies, I didn't "lease" it, so therefore I should have access to it. I never signed some licensing agreement when i first got my box that stated I was not actually purchasing the movies I paid full retail price for
    Again, I am sorry for your issues and the loss of your purchases.

IANAL, but the Vudu terms of service states:

"You understand and agree that the Content is licensed by Vudu from content providers......No right, title or interest in the Content is transferred to you. All Content is licensed, not sold, transferred or assigned to you..."

Since by creating a Vudu account, you have accepted the terms of service.

All digital downloads are this way. At any time the license to whatever digital downloads you have purchased can be revoked. The same goes for iTunes, for example, if you have purchased thousands of dollars in music.

Now, I don't want to get into a ****ing match and it isn't my intention, but I'm solely pointing out that what you purchased was the right to a license to the material. By deleting content you chose to give up your right to that license. I agree that it should have been made clear to you and Vudu is very good about making sure customers are happy. They don't need someone who has purchased as much as you going out and convincing all your friends not to buy the box. So as I had said before, please contact them and see if you can work it out...There may be some recourse...
    Last edited by NA9D; 03-04-2008, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
      By deleting content you chose to give up your right to that license.
      You care to show me where in the TOS it states that? Couldn't find it? Well, neither could I, as there is absolutely no where in that TOS where it specifically state in the TOS that by deleting content you give up your licensing rights to it. So I would beg to differ with your interpretation of the TOS. Regardless, I will do as you suggested and speak with customer care regarding this matter tomorrow.

By the way NA9D, Microsoft also licenses it's OS, now can you imagine what would happen if Microsoft told their users that once they delete it they could not re-install it or use again without purchasing another copy, you know how fast a class action lawsuit would happen, I do. Food for thought.

Comment

I think RStone's case is unique. When he had Vudu delete the content, he was most likely not made aware of the rules that are now in place. As such, I would hope that Vudu would try to make right by him. RStone, I would recommend not getting so worked up until you have at least talked to customer service and see if they can do something for you. If not, then I must say that I feel bed for you.

Now, moving forward, we all agree that the limitation makes little sense but it is what it is. It certainly does make the feature less useful to me but not entirely useless. There are some movies that I wanted to watch that were only available for purchase that I did not because I didn't want to fill up my hard drive and I have no interest in owning and storing a movie collection on my Vudu box. If I could have deleted them to avoid filling up the box, I would have gone ahead with the purchase fully intending to delete them when necessary making them just expensive rentals. This isn't much different than me deciding to watch a movie in a hotel room and paying a similar price.

I agree this isn't what everyone would do but I am really glad that it is at least an option for me now. I do hope that as VOD matures, all of this silliness in the rules goes away.

Comment

You have a point and a valid one. I agree that in your position I'd be peeved as well. I really hope that they do help you out in some way. I'm not a lawyer and so my interpretation of anything is untrained. I'll defer to people who have more knowledge in this area than myself. Like I said, I don't want to get into a ****ing contest here and that's not my intent at all. I am really sorry that this has happened...

Originally posted by rstone View Post
          You care to show me where in the TOS it states that? Couldn't find it? Well, neither could I, as there is absolutely no where in that TOS where it specifically state in the TOS that by deleting content you give up your licensing rights to it. So I would beg to differ with your interpretation of the TOS. Regardless, I will do as you suggested and speak with customer care regarding this matter tomorrow.

By the way NA9D, Microsoft also licenses it's OS, now can you imagine what would happen if Microsoft told their users that once they delete it they could not re-install it or use again without purchasing another copy, you know how fast a class action lawsuit would happen, I do. Food for thought.

Comment

Hey Ryan,

I'm on this and I'm going to be bringing this up with the "higher powers" at Vudu to see what we can do. As far as I know, this is a licensing limitation since not all movies are bound by this. There are quite a few that will allow re-distribution. I'll keep you posted once I hear back from upper managment. I apologize for all this.
            Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

I saw this update last night and got pretty excited over the archive/delete option. I have not had time to explore so I have a question about this. Is there currently an indication on the movie description page wether or not a movie or television show is archivable or not. If not could something like this be implemented. I like knowing if a movie is widescreen or full screen, what the rating of a movie is, and now with this feature I would like to know beforehand wether or not I can archive a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by kikar View Post
                I saw this update last night and got pretty excited over the archive/delete option. I have not had time to explore so I have a question about this. Is there currently an indication on the movie description page wether or not a movie or television show is archivable or not. If not could something like this be implemented. I like knowing if a movie is widescreen or full screen, what the rating of a movie is, and now with this feature I would like to know beforehand wether or not I can archive a movie.
                I think you are asking this about a movie before you purchase it. Is that correct? All content on your box is shown if it is archivable when you go into the archive/delete area.

One hundred percent of the TV shows are archivable. Just about all the old classics and the indie films are archivable. Some of the major studio releases are archivable.

Comment

A couple things to note - The Harmony has the up/down/left/right buttons. The up and down functions don't move the Vudu selector up and down but left and right.
                  So how do you browse through the vertical list of movies then? There has to be some sort of way of moving up and down through a vertical list right?

Comment

I think you are asking this about a movie before you purchase it. Is that correct? All content on your box is shown if it is archivable when you go into the archive/delete area.

One hundred percent of the TV shows are archivable. Just about all the old classics and the indie films are archivable. Some of the major studio releases are archivable.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I am asking if before I purchase a movie if I could have it indicated on the info page wether or not it can be archived.

e.g. I click on a movie to see what it is about. The info gives a brief description, wether or not it is widescreen, running time etc.. I would also like to have it say "archivable" if the movie can be archived.

Comment

Originally posted by mebby View Post
                      So how do you browse through the vertical list of movies then? There has to be some sort of way of moving up and down through a vertical list right?
                      You can't!

No, seriously, you use the up/down or left/right keys. Left and up are the same and right and down are the same (or do I have that backwards? - I forget).

It's just like with the scroll wheel you move side to side by scrolling up and down. The center arrow pad or whatever you call it has replaced the scroll wheel...

So you can use the up/down buttons to scroll up and down and the left right buttons to scroll left and right when scrolling in one axis. Where you don't get the advantage of true left/right/up/down independence is on the search screens when entering letters. You still have to move horizontally through the letters. For example, if you wanted to search for the title "Breach" you can't select "B" and then move down the rows of letters to the row where "R" is and then select it. You have to move through every letter sequentially until you get to R just like you have to with the RF remote.

Comment

Originally posted by kikar View Post
                        Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I am asking if before I purchase a movie if I could have it indicated on the info page wether or not it can be archived.

e.g. I click on a movie to see what it is about. The info gives a brief description, wether or not it is widescreen, running time etc.. I would also like to have it say "archivable" if the movie can be archived.
                        I don't think that is available at this time, but it's a good suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                          I agree this isn't what everyone would do but I am really glad that it is at least an option for me now. I do hope that as VOD matures, all of this silliness in the rules goes away.
                          I kinda of liken it to hitting the beach at Normandy. VUDU has landed but there is still all of Europe to conquer.

But as history shows, it can be done!!

Comment

So does 1.3 address any receiver audio issues like Marantz/Onkyo?

In another thread a Vudu engineer stated they had been working on it and it make it into the 1.3 release but I see no info on this.

Oddly enough, the DTV receivers which exhibit the same issue actually are rolling out fixes now. I never though they'd actually address the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by brianp6621 View Post
                              So does 1.3 address any receiver audio issues like Marantz/Onkyo?

In another thread a Vudu engineer stated they had been working on it and it make it into the 1.3 release but I see no info on this.

Oddly enough, the DTV receivers which exhibit the same issue actually are rolling out fixes now. I never though they'd actually address the issue.
                              Yes. There were some additional fixes added in. Please see if it fixes your issue.

Comment

So am I missing something on the website? I cannot find the dongle anywhere so that I can purchase it...

I've never looked so hard for a dongle before.

Comment

Working...
                                X