Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Set Top Box Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set Top Box Problem

I have a STB with latest software, etc. It is connected via HDMI and ethernet. I have been a long time Vudu customer. Recently when I turn on the STB I get a green screen on my TV; a reboot fixes the green screen, but movies no longer play in Dolby Digital only stereo. When I go back to settings to try to make changes, after each setting change the screen changes to a "snowy" appearance which requires pressing the Power button on the remote to cycle on/off; then the picture resumes. But still the movies only play in stereo despite the setting under Audio for HDMI to "surround sound 5.1".

I paid for an HDX download of "The Fair Game", but could not get it to play in digital despite all efforts. I have changed HDMI cables and inputs to no avail. My system otherwise works perfectly. I did not watch the movie, as I don't want to pay for high definition audio and not receive it. I would like to request a refund. This occurred today. Please let me know what information you require to process a refund, but more importantly what can you do so solve this problem. I would like to stay a Vudu customer, but not if the STB does not work and is no longer supported. I had previously emailed John An about this problem but never received the courtesy of a reply. I patiently await resolution.

Thank you.

Re: Set Top Box Problem

Seeing your post, I tried my purchased version of that movie....description said Dolby Digital Plus, but the actual output to my receiver was Dolby Pro-Logic...strange....

Comment

That specific movie is only available in Dolby Stereo.
      We don't get all movies from the studios in 5.1 surround sound.
      You can always find the audio format for a specific movie under "More Info".
      Hagen.

Comment

...and regarding the display on your receiver, the DD/DD+ output might indicate pro logic encoding, so that's what the receiver displays.
        Hagen.

Comment

The Green Screen/snow problem is usually (almost certainly) due to non-compliant HDCP negotiation on your display device. It is generally associated with routing HDMI through receivers.

Plugging the box directly into the TV prevents the problem (while of course making the system trickier to use).

I actually get the equivalent problem on my wife's Apple-TV device ("you must use an HDCP-enabled device") so it is not limited to Vudu.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
            That specific movie is only available in Dolby Stereo.
            We don't get all movies from the studios in 5.1 surround sound.
            You can always find the audio format for a specific movie under "More Info".
            Hagen.
            Hagen, I looked at "more info" and it said Dolby Digital Plus Stereo, which I would think to be 5.1 audio....I didn't know there was DD+ Stereo and DD+ 5.1......Consider me educated....I always thought DD+ meant 5.1 and DD meant stereo.....

Comment

Yep, the whole naming can be confusing. That's why we spell it out to be 5.1 or stereo.
              DD+ just means it's a better codec optimized (amongst other things) to provide better quality at low bitrates. So at the same bitrate you can get better quality with DD+ vs. regular DD.
              Hagen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
                Yep, the whole naming can be confusing. That's why we spell it out to be 5.1 or stereo.
                DD+ just means it's a better codec optimized (amongst other things) to provide better quality at low bitrates. So at the same bitrate you can get better quality with DD+ vs. regular DD.
                Hagen.
                Great info, thanks....

Comment

Interesting thoughts....but the movie is available in digital sound (however it is named). As for the HDMI issue through the receiver...all of my other devices including Apple TV, Blu-ray and Satellite work perfectly....this STB worked fine before some of the latest software updates (which I believe is the culprit). I have high end Pioneer Elite equipment that have always handled video throughput. I have changed inputs and cables to no avail.

I don't know why a DD signal would show as pro logic but certainly it should not show as stereo. I did rent the same title on Apple TV and it played back in Dolby Digital just as it should. Hard for me to believe a recent title available in HDX video format would not have digial sound output...a feature that Vudu pushes as a value point...I think they call it Dolby Digital Plus.

Bottom line as far as I see (but then again who says I'm right, but I am the customer) there is a software problem with my STB. Now the question is what to do about it.

Comment

Please slide output selector towards power cable.

There's a tiny switch on the back of your VBX which is used to select between "Composite" and "Component" mode, it's right next to the power cable. The switch is labeled "Component Video Out" and the two settings are labeled "480i" (Composite) and "480p" (Component). If you are seeing the green-box when your receiver and the VBX are having trouble with HDCP, that means the switch is set to "480i". If you set it to "480p" (which means sliding it TOWARDS the power cable) then this will reduce your problems and may even fix them.

rationale:

The VBX can tell whether HDMI is connected, but cannot tell whether any Analog outputs are connected (Composite, Component, S-Video, etc.). Therefore there is a switch to allow the user to distinguish between TV-mode (Composite, roughly) and High-Def (Component).

On my home system which has this problem the receiver turns off HDMI for 100 ms a few seconds after starting it for some reason we haven't figured out yet. This period is long enough that the VBX proceeds to switch to the Analog Output mode selected by the "Component Video Out" switch. If the Analog mode is Composite then it has to switch many parameters to get 480i. If the Analog mode is Component then it doesn't switch anything. While it is switching to 480i the receiver turns on HDMI again. This makes it necessary for everything to switch back, which it seems to do, and everything looks like it is set up correctly; then the receiver switches off HDMI again.

I am working on a software fix for this, however for some systems switching to 480p is enough.
                    Last edited by David Zink; 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to reply with this information. I did notice that switch and had set for 480p. I did replace the HDMI cable and reset the box...I also stopped using the standby off switch....and now all seems to work as it should.

I did speak with Vudu telephone support over last weekend and I was very pleased with their response. They were very helpful and clear about the desire to solve my issue. We went through several troubleshooting steps. Acutally I've tried so many things, I cannot say for sure what was the real cure (might have been the switch you mentioned). I even received a followup call several hours after my first call to support to see how things were going. Very professional and well handled. Kudos to the Vudu support team.

The end of the story is that all is working fine. I even learned that some HDX movies are Dolby Digital Stereo which is different than Dolby Digital 5.1. When selecting a movie, check under "More Info" to learn what audio you will receive.. I am now a Happy Vudu user once again.

Comment

Working...
                      X