Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Chaos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaos

We just rented and watched Chaos (from ATV).

I rented from ATV because I didn't think it was available on VUDU.

After I watched the movie, I was goofing around with VUDU for awhile and by doing a title search I did in fact find Chaos in both SD and HD on VUDU available for rent.

So I went back to my standard search that I rely on to help me find movies. The search is:

Genre: All

Filter: from last 6 months and can be rented.

Results: 42 by Release Date.

With that search I can not find it.

Then I switched the query to:

Filter: from last 12 months and can be rented.

Then way down towards the bottom I finally found it.

So unfortunately because I didn't intially find it on VUDU, I ended up wathcing a pretty good movie on ATV instead.

My error seems to have been that I interpreted the "by Release Date" to mean when the movie was made available to watch by VUDU, not when it was shown at the theatre.

So anyways, for what it's worth, I would like to recommend another search criteria (similar to the one on the VUDU main page) called something like "by Release to VUDU".

Since I'm always looking for fresh meat, this would be a big help.

I was initially using the main menu's New On Vudu. But you may recall I reported (about a month ago) I couldn't find certain movies that I knew were just made available but didn't show up in this category.

I didn't review the old postings, but if memory serves me right (so help us all) I believe the response was that what is contained in those main menu categories is at the VUDU staff's discretion and not necessarily a complete list. I think I was also directed to use the search function for the best way to get the real deal.

So then I went back to the main menu New On VUDU list and did find CHAOS there.

So I guess I'm not really complaining and not reporting a bug. Just providing feedback. And unfortunately I didn't end up renting from VUDU like I would have preferred.

The only other thing I can think of is that even though I watched the movie tonight, I actually rented it on ATV several days ago, when I saw it available there. So perhaps at that point in time it might not have been available on VUDU. Sigh........

Regards

So I then

Re: Chaos

It might be helpful if you could provide a brief synopsis of how you located and selected this film on the ATV. I'm curious how the UI differs and what works for somebody looking for something.

Comment

I've been confused some times by the same thing. The Release date is most definitely the theatrical release date. I believe "New on Vudu" has all new movies on Vudu. The item a while back that you had difficulty with was one of the "collections" - specifically the HD collection icon and you couldn't find Heartbreak Kid in that collection but you found it elsewhere (I'm good aren't I?).

Anyhow, New on Vudu is just that - new movies on Vudu and it has all new movies AFAIK.

Additionally, Vudu and ATV should get all content about the same time.

Now, did you find the ATV more enjoyable than the Vudu?

Comment

The wife and I watched CHAOS in HD on Friday night on the Vudu. Pretty good movie except for one stunt effect that was just done poorly. If you want a laugh, watch the scene where the young cop rides the motorcycle through the glass door in slow motion. The door clearly shatters before the front tire hits the window. It was so early, that I actually noticed it at full speed while watching the movie. Why they didn't take the time to digitally edit < 5 frames to fix the timing I'll never understand.
        John - 0x36d3
        "If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman
        Pleas support me in Tour de Cure: [url]http://main.diabetes.org/goto/John.Reddersen[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterfood View Post
          Why they didn't take the time to digitally edit < 5 frames to fix the timing I'll never understand.
          That's why I don't generally watch movies until after my therapy sessions. Then it takes 10+ frames to understand what I just saw (if ever).

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
            It might be helpful if you could provide a brief synopsis of how you located and selected this film on the ATV. I'm curious how the UI differs and what works for somebody looking for something.
            Sure happy to.

I go to ATV's main menu.

Select "Top Movies"

The Top Movies has 5 Categories of Movies stacked vertically.

The Categories are: Featured Movies, Top Rentals, Just Added, Staff Favorites, and a random genre category. This week it's "Good Cop, Bad Cop".

Then for each of the 5 categories the movies are listed horizontally (with Icons or Placards???)

You use the up/down arrows to vertically jump from one category to the other. And you use the left/right arrows to horziontally jump from one placard to the next.

So I first enter the Top Movies screen. I can visually see the first 3 Categories on my screen (Just Added is the 3rd one).

The very first movies listed in the Just Added catergory are:

CHAOS
            Clockwork Orange
            License to Wed
            Black Hawk Down
            Real Genius
            Once Upon a Time in the West
            Big Top Pee Wee

The Featured Movies category are:

Golden Door
            Ex Machina
            The Bourne Ultimatum
            The Fifth Element
            Escape from Alcatraz

The Top Rentals category are:

August Rush
            Good Luck Chuck
            Across the Universe
            Nancy Drew
            Michael Clayton
            Superbad
            American Pie

Hope that helps give you a visual of what I see.

It seems to me the big difference is that with ATV they are taking advantage of the ability to scroll in 4 directions, while VUDU can only do 2.

With VUDU, either it wasn't available yet when I was looking or it just didn't jump out at me like it did on ATV, because it may have been listed in a category I didn't go to.

Also my biggest disappointed was that I still can't find it with my search filter. (All movie, 6 months old, for rent). The reason I say this is not only can I not find it, but with all the other category listings I have to waid through a bunch of movies for purchase only.

Regards
            That's my "brief" version!

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              I would say the sound was great. The picture quality was definitely DVD quality or better. But since it was an HD movie, I don't think I could say it measures up to VUDU's HD titles in picture quality.

So I would say the answer is no. BUT it only cost me $4.99

BTW The only reason I rented the movie from ATV when I did last week, is that I'm a compulsive shopper. Meaning I saw it, was interested, and wanted it.

But the big drawback with ATV is they "don't" have a wishlist like VUDU. If they had, at the time I would have probably thrown the movie into the WishList for later.

Then by time I got around to watching it, I probably would have found it on VUDU too. But since I paid for it up front, I was compelled to watch it on ATV.

Regards

Comment

I saw the title of this thread and said to myself, "ah-ha, other people had a problem with it, too.", but I guess not.
                I rented the HD version and it was unwatchable--time delay, jumpy, freezes, etc. I tried stopping and starting, turning off, turning back on, nothing helped. So, I gave up and tried the SD version and it was fine. That's the first time I've had a problem with any movie, SD or HD. Don't know what's up. I wrote to customer support first thing this morning, hoping to at least get a credit for the HD rental and also an explanation, but I haven't heard back.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHodge View Post
                  Also my biggest disappointed was that I still can't find it with my search filter. (All movie, 6 months old, for rent). The reason I say this is not only can I not find it, but with all the other category listings I have to waid through a bunch of movies for purchase only.
                  I went back to the search filter and tried again.

When I set the filter to "from last 6 months" it finds 42 titles and CHAOS is not one of them.

When I set the filter to "from last 12 months" it finds 167 titles and CHAOS is 15th on the list.

I found it higher on the food chain this go around because I set the sort order to "Top Picks" instead of "Release Date".

Maybe I'll try that for a while for now, at least until Beta Max decides to get out of the pool and gives me something new to play with.

It's probably already been discussed, but now I'm wondering what is the difference between "Top Picks" and "Most Watched"? Sorry, if I'm asking a redundent question.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by jclem View Post
                    I saw the title of this thread and said to myself, "ah-ha, other people had a problem with it, too.", but I guess not.
                    I rented the HD version and it was unwatchable--time delay, jumpy, freezes, etc. I tried stopping and starting, turning off, turning back on, nothing helped. So, I gave up and tried the SD version and it was fine. That's the first time I've had a problem with any movie, SD or HD. Don't know what's up. I wrote to customer support first thing this morning, hoping to at least get a credit for the HD rental and also an explanation, but I haven't heard back.
                    You saw the jumpiness with the HD version on Vudu? That's important as it's a bug that occurs from time to time but it has been very hard to pin down. The more help Vudu can get on isolating this the better. The fix right now is to reboot your box and the movie will play fine. When the HD content first came out it happened quite frequently and so it's been fixed to a large extent but there still seem to be some instances where it is happening but it's hard to reproduce in the lab.

In the future if this happens again, please post your system ID and the exact time and date it happened, and that can help the engineers track it down.

Comment

I rented the HD version and it was unwatchable--time delay, jumpy, freezes, etc. I tried stopping and starting, turning off, turning back on, nothing helped. So, I gave up and tried the SD version.
                      Can I redact my previous post?

Comment

I spoke with support and they suggested the power cyle as you mentioned, NA9D, and it worked. I will follow your suggestion and give tech support my info. At least it's up and running now. Thanks

Comment

I spoke with support and they suggested the power cyle as you mentioned, NA9D, and it worked. I will follow your suggestion and give tech support my info. At least it's up and running now. Thanks
                          Great. Yeah, do a search in the forums for "HD Freeze" or something like that and you'll see you were not alone! This is one of the bugs Vudu is trying very hard to fix. It's not something that is easy to reproduce so it's not like we can follow a certain set of steps with the latest beta release and try to determine if it's fixed. And I can't just say that I don't see it with the latest release either as I've never had the problem myself..But it is something they are working on trying to fix.

Comment

That's great! I hope that VUDU will still give you a refund since you also purchased the SD version too. Good Luck.

Comment

This is one of the bugs Vudu is trying very hard to fix. It's not something that is easy to reproduce so it's not like we can follow a certain set of steps with the latest beta release and try to determine if it's fixed.
                              Don't know if this applies to the today world, but in the good old days this problem would be very sympnomatic of a memory leak. We use to have software tools to observe and measure for it.

And with comprehensive regression testing, the leak (or possibly leaks) would show up, even without recreating the reported problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X