Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Satisfaction with Vudu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satisfaction with Vudu

As I compare the movies now available on DVD to the movies now available on my VUDU player, I notice an enormous time gap. I am Legend, which was released on DVD on March 18th, wil not be available to rent on VUDU until April 17th, one month later. In my eyes, this is not acceptable

So far, VUDU has been an interesting 'toy' but problems like this, and the 24-hour viewing window, make me wonder if this product will ever be huge.

Other downfalls include:
    A smaller catalog then I had hoped for
    Annoying flashing lights in the back of the player
    And others

How have you guys liked VUDU so far?

Re: Satisfaction with Vudu

Originally posted by gibbs0828 View Post
    A smaller catalog then I had hoped for
    Over 5000 movies and over 3000 are rentable. Its says right on the VUDU site 5000 movies and a constantly changing catalog. How could you hope for something VUDU didn't publish on their site?

I know there are issues when the content owners allow rentals vs. purchase but this limitation is on all VOD services not just VUDU. There are some same day releases that Warner is experimenting with but not all studios are trying this out. For some reason they think that VOD rentals the same day would eat into their DVD sales.

Just put a piece of black tape over the lights like it did. Or you can lock the VUDU box into a cabinet since the remote is RF.

Comment

Just crank up Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon" and everything will be OK. You might even start believing you have your own home planetarium!! I would call that a VUDU Bonus!!

Comment

As I compare the movies now available on DVD to the movies now available on my VUDU player, I notice an enormous time gap. I am Legend, which was released on DVD on March 18th, wil not be available to rent on VUDU until April 17th, one month later. In my eyes, this is not acceptable
        Please see this thread: http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2556 for an explanation. No VOD service has movies available for rental until about 30 days after DVD release. The only studio that has same day VOD rentals is Warner Brothers and possibly some of the Indie studios. The other majors require a 30 day wait. I don't care who's VOD service you use: Vudu's, AppleTV, Cable VOD, etc. All require the waiting period.

If you have a need to see a new release right when it comes out on DVD, then Vudu or VOD is not right for you. If you don't care when it comes out but want convenience, Vudu is right for you.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
          The other majors require a 30 day wait. I don't care who's VOD service you use: Vudu's, AppleTV, Cable VOD, etc. All require the waiting period.
          I've been a long time Netflix customer and from experience I do believe the same applies to Netflix too. Even though they won't publicly come out and admit it (that I know of).

Comment

I agree that this is a problem with VOD in general - the studios have separate (and unequal) licensing agreements than the physical discs. I think that they will come around on this soon as more and more money starts to flow in from VOD. Someone somewhere is going to be responsible for boosting earnings for a quarter and they're going to think "hey, I got an idea..."

Comment

Originally posted by jleavens View Post
              I agree that this is a problem with VOD in general - the studios have separate (and unequal) licensing agreements than the physical discs. I think that they will come around on this soon as more and more money starts to flow in from VOD. Someone somewhere is going to be responsible for boosting earnings for a quarter and they're going to think "hey, I got an idea..."
              Yeah.. I totally agree with you. But when they make VOD content providers run like two hamsters with their legs tied together in a bag in a hamster wheel and their unable to show a significant cash flow, it makes you wonder what the real adenda is.

i.e. why should they give a crap who is making the money for them, as long as they are making the money??

Comment

Guys,

Please, don't get my wrong here-- I think Vudu is an excellent product. However, I feel its not living up to its potential.

In reference to the catalog- I mentioned the size of the movie selection as not being amazing, however there are other aspects that do not impress me as well. First, I believe the ratings are cr*p. Second, a lot of content is very, very poor and in my opinion, are there just to take up space. Examples include: Arilene Town (wtf?), Acoustic Alchemy, 10 Mary + Kate and Ashley movies, etc. Third, the organization isn't the best. Although I like the filter and genre options, I wish there was a more effective way of scrolling and finding movies. Lastly, as I said the number of movies isn't dazzling.

In reference to the 24 hr viewing period- Although it has been mentioned on here many times, AppleTV/ iTunes lets its users to watch the movie at least once. No harm/lawsuits have been thrown in Apple's path to success. Why not do this?

In reference to the delay of titles- I understand there is a delay between the time movies come out on DVD and the day VOD services get them. I know that for example airlines get them first (unless I am mistaken). It just seems like Vudu gets them so far after the other VOD provides.

In reference to the lights- My box is not in a cabinet, it is used in my room on a desk where the TV is so is it. A piece of paper is not sufficient, as the fan blows it off. I am forced to put an article of clothing every night. Not a huge deal, but definately annoying.

Comment

In reference to the catalog- I mentioned the size of the movie selection as not being amazing, however there are other aspects that do not impress me as well. First, I believe the ratings are cr*p. Second, a lot of content is very, very poor and in my opinion, are there just to take up space. Examples include: Arilene Town (wtf?), Acoustic Alchemy, 10 Mary + Kate and Ashley movies, etc. Third, the organization isn't the best. Although I like the filter and genre options, I wish there was a more effective way of scrolling and finding movies. Lastly, as I said the number of movies isn't dazzling.
                  Nobody has guaranteed that you would be happy with every movie in the catalog. But there are some of us with young kids that watch the Mary + Kate and Ashley movies. On the ratings...they come from a service called AMG. http://www.allmovie.com/ and other sources.

In reference to the 24 hr viewing period- Although it has been mentioned on here many times, AppleTV/ iTunes lets its users to watch the movie at least once. No harm/lawsuits have been thrown in Apple's path to success. Why not do this?
                  Actually Apple is having issues with the content providers due to this. Read this thread:

http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2599

You don't get to complete watching it legally on the Apple box. Also there seems to be a limitation how long you can pause.

In reference to the delay of titles- I understand there is a delay between the time movies come out on DVD and the day VOD services get them. I know that for example airlines get them first (unless I am mistaken). It just seems like Vudu gets them so far after the other VOD provides..
                  Do you have any examples that you can back this statement up with?

In reference to the lights- My box is not in a cabinet, it is used in my room on a desk where the TV is so is it. A piece of paper is not sufficient, as the fan blows it off. I am forced to put an article of clothing every night. Not a huge deal, but definately annoying.
                  I didn't say paper I said black tape.

Comment

Guys,

Please, don't get my wrong here-- I think Vudu is an excellent product. However, I feel its not living up to its potential.

In reference to the delay of titles- I understand there is a delay between the time movies come out on DVD and the day VOD services get them. I know that for example airlines get them first (unless I am mistaken). It just seems like Vudu gets them so far after the other VOD provides.

We are watching many more movies than we used to and we pretty much completely stopped buying DVDs and managing our own library specificially because of the size and quality of Vudu's library. VOD is so much more convenient than any other movie delivery/acquisition mechanism that, until I run out of things I want to watch, the library is good enough. That being said, there is room for improvement and I hope that occurs over time.

About the lights, we have one in our bedroom, right under the TV which is hanging on a white wall. The lights honestly don't hamper our ability to enjoy movies or sleep at night. They really aren't all that bright. I suppose I could complain to Sharp too about that annoying blue light that always lights up on the front of our Aquos while we are watching it if I really wanted to look for things to be unhappy with.

Comment

Second, a lot of content is very, very poor and in my opinion, are there just to take up space. Examples include: Arilene Town (wtf?), Acoustic Alchemy,
                      Uh... some of us like Acoustic Alchemy. This was one of the very first videos I purchased. I have about 4 or 5 of their albums. Then again, not everyone likes great jazz guitar music. But please, don't assume that just because YOU don't like something, that it is the same for everyone else. News flash: The world is not all like you.

Uh actually, Apple is in violation of their licensing agreements and it is ****ing off the studios. This is going to be remedied sooner rather than later. If you would spend some time reading some of the other threads in the forum you would have seen this. Lawsuits may not have been put in Apple's path, but they are not getting the amount of content from the studios that they said they were going to get. I don't think they are to 100 HD movies yet. A lot of this probably has to do with the fact of the 24 hour bug.

As Ron said, please state an example. Show me a new movie being released for rental on iTunes or on your cable company's VOD that is prior to Vudu having it for rental.

I am forced to put an article of clothing every night. Not a huge deal, but definately annoying.
                      The first is not a complete sentence and does not make sense. It's annoying to be forced to wear clothing??

Comment

Convenience is the key. I have several hundred HD DVD and BD titles that I haven't watched yet.(Plus the rental Superbad on BD) But what did I do last night, I rented Chaos in HD on VUDU becasue it was there and is so convenient to watch. And at that moment I was in the mood to watch it. No waiting. I hit the button to watch and it starts immmediately. If that wasn't the case I would have stuck a BD/HD DVD in the player to watch instead.

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                        We are watching many more movies than we used to and we pretty much completely stopped buying DVDs and managing our own library specificially because of the size and quality of Vudu's library. VOD is so much more convenient than any other movie delivery/acquisition mechanism that, until I run out of things I want to watch, the library is good enough. That being said, there is room for improvement and I hope that occurs over time.

About the lights, we have one in our bedroom, right under the TV which is hanging on a white wall. The lights honestly don't hamper our ability to enjoy movies or sleep at night. They really aren't all that bright. I suppose I could complain to Sharp too about that annoying blue light that always lights up on the front of our Aquos while we are watching it if I really wanted to look for things to be unhappy with.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                          Convenience is the key. I have several hundred HD DVD and BD titles that I haven't watched yet.(Plus the rental Superbad on BD) But what did I do last night, I rented Chaos in HD on VUDU becasue it was there and is so convenient to watch. And at that moment I was in the mood to watch it. No waiting. I hit the button to watch and it starts immmediately. If that wasn't the case I would have stuck a BD/HD DVD in the player to watch instead.
                          You know, I have about 700 DVDs on my own home brewed VOD and I still rent movies on Vudu that I already own because it's easier than watching it on my own system. You are right, convenience and how pleasant the experience is means a lot to someone like me. I would never have amassed the collection I have Vudu had existed back then.

Comment

Still, you guys aren't getting my point-- I like vudu, I tell all my friends about it... But theres still some work to be done:

NA9D,
                            You're comment wasnt really necessary. I just went through all of the titles and named some of the odd titles. Nothing personal.

'some of us like Acoustic Alchemy. This was one of the very first videos I purchased. I have about 4 or 5 of their albums. Then again, not everyone likes great jazz guitar music. But please, don't assume that just because YOU don't like something, that it is the same for everyone else. News flash: The world is not all like you.'

And yes, I have read other posts saying Apple is in violation (24+ hr viewing period). Well, has anything happened to them? NO! Has there even been one stint with any motion picture company? NO! Have they even bothered to change it? NO.

And yes, I have an example for a delayed movie:
                            I am Lengend comes to vudu on April 17th.
                            The same movie is coming on Comcast on Demand anywhere between April 1st and April 15th (they have a trailer for the new OD movies to be released during that date)

And I obviously did not finish my sentence:
                            The first is not a complete sentence and does not make sense. It's annoying to be forced to wear clothing??
                            I am forced to place an article of clothing, towel, etc. over the vudu box. I don't know if mine blinks more than usual but blue, green, orange lights blink excessively in the back of the box causing the room to light up in the dark.

Comment

Still, you guys aren't getting my point-- I like vudu, I tell all my friends about it... But theres still some work to be done:

Wait a second. You started this thread by saying Vudu is a toy and interesting. You didn't say how much you liked it but complained about all you thought was wrong. So forgive us if we are a little defensive and come back at you with certain facts about things based on your first post. You didn't start off by saying, "I really like it and I promote it but these things bug me." No, you stated instead that the catalog was small, that the box's lights were annoying and the rental delay was irritating. You specifically stated that you didn't see how the box would ever get to be a big seller because of these things.

I agree 100% that Vudu isn't complete and can't have things done better. No one has ever said that. Yes there is work to be done. But you didn't start off that way.

The comments you are making are things that Vudu can't really do anything about. We have been trying to tell you that all VOD providers get the same treatment. But Vudu isn't standing still either, Vudu has effectively committed to releasing new software updates every 4 to 6 weeks. So that certainly means that they aren't sitting back thinking how wonderful a product they have. It means that they are busy taking customer feedback and continuing to refine and improve the product.

NA9D,
                              You're comment wasnt really necessary. I just went through all of the titles and named some of the odd titles. Nothing personal.
                              It's not personal. But your comment called all the items that you don't like "filler." I'm simply stating that it is not valid to say that the vast majority of the catalog is simply worthless or filler. There are as many different tastes in movies as there are people. You got lucky and hit a video produced by a musical group I really like. That's the cool thing about Vudu. There is plenty of off beat content you can find that you likely won't find anywhere else. It's really how you look at it. I see the fact that there's a lot of content means that there's a lot of choice. I will probably not ever watch 99% of what is available. But it's there in case I want to. And the 1% I do like is going to be wholly different from whatever percentage you like. I'd rather have that "filler" content in place and be able to satisfy a wider range of tastes than not have it and instead try to "market survey" what most people will like. Most of the movies in my local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video are filler. I am betting that way in yours as well.

And yes, I have read other posts saying Apple is in violation (24+ hr viewing period). Well, has anything happened to them? NO! Has there even been one stint with any motion picture company? NO! Have they even bothered to change it? NO.
                              Just because you see something doesn't mean that things are happening that you don't see. The post I made about AppleTV came from a phone call from Vudu's VP of Marketing and I quoted his exact words to me. Mr. Cosson has relationships with many execs in Hollywood and I would take what he says over anything that I presume to be happening based on anecdotal evidence. The fact that Apple has not hit its targeted amount of content is HUGELY telling. Why? Why has ATV not greatly expanded the amount of movies available? It certainly is not a technical reason. The content is there as Vudu has it. Its licensing. And just because they haven't upgraded the software yet doesn't mean that isn't going to change. And besides, just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean its right. A company like Apple has a lot more clout to push around or resist a lawsuit from a studio than a company like Vudu. Vudu is a small startup funded with venture capital. Apple's been around since the 70s and has billions in cash on hand. If Apple ****es of a studio, the cost to litigate with them is huge. Instead there are other methods by which they can be manipulated and forced to acquiesce. OTOH, Vudu could easily be wiped out by a lawsuit.

And yes, I have an example for a delayed movie:
                              I am Lengend comes to vudu on April 17th.
                              The same movie is coming on Comcast on Demand anywhere between April 1st and April 15th (they have a trailer for the new OD movies to be released during that date)
                              So it's anywhere between April 1st and April 15th? Why don't they give an exact date? I went to my local Comcast TV Planner site and looked up all the current and coming on Demand movies in the next two weeks. I am Legend did not show up on any list. Now, it's possible that your local area is getting the movie ahead of other areas - I don't know. I'm not saying you are wrong either. All I am saying is I couldn't find it in any of the listings that Comcast is providing in my area. Comcast is also offering some new OnDemand titles that are actually purchases of the movies. You purchase the movie via the cable box and you get to watch it right at that time. Then the purchased DVD shows up at your door a day or two later. I don't know if this is one of those items either.

Bottom line with Vudu is that if you want a new release prior to whenever it is released for rental on Vudu, you have two choices: Purchase the new release on Vudu. Or, don't use Vudu for that new release. Go to Blockbuster. If renting new releases when released is so important to your viewing then either Vudu isn't for you or it's simply one of your entertainment choices.

Most likely, it's going to be the later, and that's fine. I don't think anyone at Vudu expects you'll never use a DVD player again or never visit a Blockbuster again.

I am forced to place an article of clothing, towel, etc. over the vudu box. I don't know if mine blinks more than usual but blue, green, orange lights blink excessively in the back of the box causing the room to light up in the dark.
                              Standard NIC lights on just about any network card. Lets you know things are working. As others have stated, simply put black electrical tape over them. Or stuff the Vudu somewhere where it isn't seen, like in a closet. The RF remote works great for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X