Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu get your act together before its too late - its time for Monthly Subscriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vudu get your act together before its too late - its time for Monthly Subscriptions

OK, I think about now vudu should start implementing a monthly subscription service.

Complacency will not end good..... (think Blockbuster)

In the past 6 months I have seriously decreased the amount of movies I watch on Vudu from about 20 to about 5 or less.

reasons:
    1. new films are being added at a much slower pace
    2. I watch tv series on Netflix - why pay $2 per episode????
    3. older movies appearing on Netflix and in HD (720p though)
    4. no discounts or promotions on buying movies so no incentive to - I can buy blu-rays on amazon for less....
    5. need more "in theater" movies
    6. foreign section sucks

Re: Vudu get your act together before its too late - its time for Monthly Subscriptio

Just curious, how would turning VUDU into a Netflix clone address the issues you cite?

Comment

Re: Vudu get your act together before its too late - its time for Monthly Subscriptio

My viewing of Vudu is down as well. But, to be fair, I attribute that more to the garbage coming out of Hollywood than anything else. It's not like I'm renting movies from redbox or my cable provider instead. There are only so may animated movies and 70's-TV gone Hollywood I can stand to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by raaurora View Post
        My viewing of Vudu is down as well. But, to be fair, I attribute that more to the garbage coming out of Hollywood than anything else. It's not like I'm renting movies from redbox or my cable provider instead. There are only so may animated movies and 70's-TV gone Hollywood I can stand to watch.
        Here, here to the garbage coming out of Hollywood......I have found better films from independent studios rather than the majors......I like smash-em up boom boom movies also, but it seems a lot of what comes out is for the kids, or the younger set( kinda makes me feel old, yuck)....I have purchased a lot of independent films on VUDU and the stories and plots of the films made them great to watch.......

Comment

I pretty much give any mainstream release a shot, so my viewing stays steady. usually 2 a weekend until Fball season starts.

Redbox does not have everything in Blu, Im just sick of Netflix, and buying them at $15-17 a pc also adds up. I think HDX and HD price points fill a nice gap and Ive seen a lot of people comment on how nice HDX streaming is.

I just dont see a Vudu monthly plan, never gonna happen. IMO, $12 a week for two HDX films, compared to the theater and blu-ray, is chump change.

Comment

The thing I like more about NetFlix is being able to watch as many shows as I want only part of the way in without paying for every one of them. I browse plenty of movies or shows I'm like "maybe this might be cool", but then 10 minutes in I'm like "boring..". Trailers aren't enough, they're always better than the actual movie. So with Vudu I'd have to pay min. $2 to see 10 minutes of it just to deside I don't like it and want something else? I'm mostly talking about older movies and documentaries. If they'd allow something like watch for 10min free, that would be awesome! Or rent it, but if you don't watch more than 15 minutes, then no charge. Something..

Comment

Originally posted by clint317 View Post
              The thing I like more about NetFlix is being able to watch as many shows as I want only part of the way in without paying for every one of them. I browse plenty of movies or shows I'm like "maybe this might be cool", but then 10 minutes in I'm like "boring..". Trailers aren't enough, they're always better than the actual movie. So with Vudu I'd have to pay min. $2 to see 10 minutes of it just to deside I don't like it and want something else? I'm mostly talking about older movies and documentaries. If they'd allow something like watch for 10min free, that would be awesome! Or rent it, but if you don't watch more than 15 minutes, then no charge. Something..
              The 2 min preview is a studio restriction, we will submit your feedback to see if this is something that can be changed in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
                Just curious, how would turning VUDU into a Netflix clone address the issues you cite?
                Eventually, Netflix will have current movies and a monthly package. I doubt they will have HDX, but HD is pretty good (you really have to look hard to tell the difference).

Also, HDX works until it doesn't - I have had too many buffering issues (note my ISP speed is 50MB) and am tired of writing Dan to give me a $1 credit for every other HDX movie that has streaming problems.

In addition, I think that in the past 2 months they have added like 10 movies....

At least with Netflix I can watch a much larger selection of foreign movies and all for the price of $7.95 per month. Not to mention TV series.

I have been a big Vudu fan, but in the end they will be marginalized - or hopefully re-bought by Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by jarac View Post
                  Eventually, Netflix will have current movies and a monthly package. I doubt they will have HDX, but HD is pretty good (you really have to look hard to tell the difference).

Also, HDX works until it doesn't - I have had too many buffering issues (note my ISP speed is 50MB) and am tired of writing Dan to give me a $1 credit for every other HDX movie that has streaming problems.

In addition, I think that in the past 2 months they have added like 10 movies....

At least with Netflix I can watch a much larger selection of foreign movies and all for the price of $7.95 per month. Not to mention TV series.

I have been a big Vudu fan, but in the end they will be marginalized - or hopefully re-bought by Apple.
                  You REALLY think the studios will go for a subscription plan for their current films, in their eyes devaluing them? Can't see that happening, sorry....Unless they charge megabucks to Netflix for the privilege......I just can't see them devaluing their product like that....

As for TV shows I don't buy nor rent them on VUDU.....My wife is the TV show watcher and uses Netflix in another room......I love foreign movies and I have to disagree with you on the number available...Some films in the Criterion Collection alone are worth the price of admission.....Most of the films I own on VUDU are foreign and very good....A lot better than some of the crap out of Hollywood...

Netflix HD in my eyes does not look as good as HDX, I have VUDU feeding my theater and on that projection system there is no comparison....I experimented with the Netflix feed to my wife's TV, moved some things around in my HT and compared the two....

I view VUDU as a compliment with Netflix, they both serve different needs, My wife watches Netflix and I buy VUDU movies.....Hopefully when Ultraviolet is fully launched there will be even more choice available.......

I also can agree with you on the HDX streaming issues.....Believe me, I have struggled with them, Dan has been great...But now I stream flawlessly since I made some corrections and an investment in new gear(which I needed anyway)..First, Got a Cisco/Linksys E4200 router, installed CAT6 cable to my VUDU box, took my VUDU box out of the DMZ( it was getting pinged like mad, killing my sessions), rebooted both the router and the box after install, no trouble since......

Comment

Originally posted by jarac View Post

Where have you been looking? They typically add that many or more each week..

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                      Where have you been looking? They typically add that many or more each week..
                      This is true, you can check our blog for the new releases each week http://blog.vudu.com/. Last week 15 new titles were added, the previous week 16 were added.

Comment

I think the best business plan for VUDU would be to have a two tier payment method.

1) Have a monthly subscription service like Netflix that would allow you to watch as many non new release movies as you want.

2) Continue with the pay per movie method for new release movies.

Members would not have to buy into the monthly subscription service to use the pay per movie service but give cheaper rates to monthly subscribers.

Seems simple to me. Why on Earth would why I want to pay to watch a 1950's film noir movie using VUDU when I can watch it using Netflix?

Please, the video/sound quality argument just doesn't wash with most of the older films as their quality is not a streaming issue but a source quality issue.

Comment

Also, since WalMart owns them, start allowing customers to add gift cards to their account. It is nice to have a credit built up so you can rent movies without having your CC hit.

Either create separate VUDU gift cards, or allow WalMart gift cards to be added to ones account.

I am not asking for much here.

Comment

Agree, and would pay on this structure. I would add that I can usually find the older stuff for free somewhere else without putting too much effort into a search.

I would also not mind watching ads in exchange for free content as long as I get to pick the ads. I would much rather watch a 3 minute mini-infomercial about things that interest me i.e (lab supplies, computer gadgets) than a 30 second ad on feminine hygiene (I'm male). Advertisers would also much rather not waste money showing me things which aren't applicable to my life.

I would propose to be required to pick a predetermined number of ads per length of viewing. Advertisers could even reward me with exclusive VUDU discounts if I buy from an ad I chose to watch.

Originally posted by vudu4me View Post
                            I think the best business plan for VUDU would be to have a two tier payment method.

1) Have a monthly subscription service like Netflix that would allow you to watch as many non new release movies as you want.

2) Continue with the pay per movie method for new release movies.

Members would not have to buy into the monthly subscription service to use the pay per movie service but give cheaper rates to monthly subscribers.

Seems simple to me. Why on Earth would why I want to pay to watch a 1950's film noir movie using VUDU when I can watch it using Netflix?

Please, the video/sound quality argument just doesn't wash with most of the older films as their quality is not a streaming issue but a source quality issue.

Comment

Yep the biggies like Netflix and Blockbuster are on the verge of collapse, VUDU would do well to learn from their missteps

Comment

Working...
                              X