Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU SUBSCRIPTION PLAN

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU SUBSCRIPTION PLAN

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
    This whole VOD thing is in its very infancy. It may be cable that strikes first... who knows. I already have OnDemand with Time Warner Cable that allows me to watch 100's of movies a month on demand for the price of $10-$15 a month. The interface sucks, but you can do it.
    Funny I have a friend that lives in the Milwaukee area and has TimeWarner as his provider and he has to pay for movies even though he is subscribed to OnDemand. I was over his house and it was cool that he could pick current TV or HBO shows and watch them when ever he wanted but the list of "Free" items was very limited. I think it was only PBS shows and Comedy Central stuff.

So what do you get for $10-$15 a month for TimeWarner? I don't see where this $10-15 a month really translates into a movie subscription. If you are getting 100's of movies for the price of $10-$15 a month with TimeWarner let us know because it would be good to look into their service instead of NetFlix, etc.

Comment

All I know is fans of subscriptions insist they are the way to go. However, look at the music industry. Napster, Rhapsody, etc. have a TINY percentage of the market. iTunes doesn't offer subs and has what 70% of the online music market? Now Amazon is selling songs w/o subs. And I think I just read that Napster has opened a store.

The subscription model doesn't work well for online music. I really wonder if it would work for movies.

Again, most people probably watch 4 to 5 movies a month. That's roughly $20 or the same as a subscription cost. I'm not sure I see the benefit to money being sucked out of the consumer's pocket every month. Subscription plans do not benefit the consumer. Period.

Comment

I don't think that you can just compare music and movies equally. Even without VOD, people were renting movies but not music so people already see them differently to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
          I don't think that you can just compare music and movies equally. Even without VOD, people were renting movies but not music so people already see them differently to some extent.
          If you haven't already, watch Steve Jobs keynote address at CES. He publicly admits they misjudged the consumer by treating movie content the same way as music content.

Consumers are willing to listen to a song many times, but most consumers only want to watch a movie once, perhaps a few times at most.

So he concluded that purchasing music was acceptable to the consumer, but not movies. He thought the rental model was the best way to go for movie content, hence his decision to launch movie rentals via ATV, instead of purchase.

To head off Rewein's question about what's that got to do with subscriptions?? Nothing really, just agreeing with him that comparing music with movies aren't totally apples and apples.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
            To head off Rewein's question about what's that got to do with subscriptions?? Nothing really, just agreeing with him that comparing music with movies aren't totally apples and apples.
            I don't question when people agree with me.

Comment

Agreed. I'm more comparing the concept of subscription vs. non-subscription. In the audio world, that sub will get you tons of music you can listen to as much as you want as long as you subscribe - in fact I believe with some plans its any song in their library. However, that's not working with audio and I doubt it would work well with video either. It's the subscription vs. pay as you go concept.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                Agreed. I'm more comparing the concept of subscription vs. non-subscription. In the audio world, that sub will get you tons of music you can listen to as much as you want as long as you subscribe - in fact I believe with some plans its any song in their library. However, that's not working with audio and I doubt it would work well with video either. It's the subscription vs. pay as you go concept.
                See, that's where I disagree. I'd be more likely to want and use a subscription to something that I would rent (like movies) than I would with something I would typically own (like music). I don't think you can take the failure of the subscription model for music and draw any conclusions about how it would fare for movies. You can easily point to Netflix who has a subscription model for movies. Their model for how people rent movies is much closer to VOD than how the iTunes model for music is.

However, I still don't want a subscription to Vudu. I would just be more likely to accept one for it than I would for music on iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                  So what do you get for $10-$15 a month for TimeWarner? I don't see where this $10-15 a month really translates into a movie subscription. If you are getting 100's of movies for the price of $10-$15 a month with TimeWarner let us know because it would be good to look into their service instead of NetFlix, etc.
                  Well, it works like this. You pay $6 a month (or whatever it is now) for OnDemand Service.

With OnDemand, you can watch lots of channels content that aired recently whenever you want. From Comedy Central to DYI... theres lots of stuff.

But if you subscribe to a premium channel, say HBO, Showtime, etc... you can watch any of the shows airing that month (plus alot more) and all their original shows (Sopranos, Sex in the City, etc), plus their original programming documentaries, their sports, everything.... on demand... for free. Well, you are already paying for HBO so not really free.

You just go to HBO OnDemand (Channel whatever) and its a menu system. You click movies, then a category, say horror, and it lists the movies on the left, you can scroll through them, get a description, rating, how many stars ect.

Once you play a movie, the remote acts like a DVD remote, so you can pause, rewind, all that.
                  Last edited by Chopper; 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM.
                  I could be suave, but how many crude guys do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
                    Well, it works like this. You pay $6 a month (or whatever it is now) for OnDemand Service.

With OnDemand, you can watch lots of channels content that aired recently whenever you want. From Comedy Central to DYI... theres lots of stuff.

But if you subscribe to a premium channel, say HBO, Showtime, etc... you can watch any of the shows airing that month (plus alot more) and all their shows (Sopranos, Sex in the City, etc), plus their original programming, their sports, everything on demand... for free. Its a great feature.
                    So you are paying 6 dollars more per month to watch HBO's scheduled content when you want to. Its not a catalog but only what they are airing that month. Do they blacklist any of the content like premium movies?

I wonder if this really qualifies as a subscription where the catalog is always available and I can watch what I want when I want.

Comment

Well, the way it works with Comcast is that if you have a digital box you get VOD included with it. It looks like Chopper has to pay $6 which is about the cost of my set top box per month. So we've even there.

Now, there is plenty of "free" content. If you subscribe to a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, etc. you get the content that they are showing that month available at no additional charge. I am not sure if they are showing all the content or not but there's a lot of it.

Second, there is free content that is no charge movies. These are mainly library titles - no new releases here.

Third there is pay movies that are both library and new releases.

Fourth, you get TV shows. Some you pay for (like NBC) but some (like CBS and ABC) are free. This is what I use VOD for the most in case for some reason one of my DVRs (Let's see, I now own 5 of them) fail to record the show. It's a nice feature.

Fifth there's a large amount of free odd-ball content. You get everything from GalleryPlayer images in HD (really nice) to clips of 1930s burlesque shows (I kid you not) to OnDemand stuff for buying a car or house.

So there's plenty of OnDemand content. It's nice but the interface is sluggish and the actual quantities of movies is not that much. I find that Vudu is a far better provider of higher quality movie content with a far better interface. I can keep Vudu stuff for 30 days. With Comcast it stays for 24 hours.

Comment

I find that Vudu is a far better provider of higher quality movie content with a far better interface.
                        I agree, except when it's only SD/Stereo.

Comment

I agree, except when it's only SD/Stereo.
                          The world's smallest violin is playing "My Heart Bleeds for You."

Comment

The world's smallest violin is playing "My Heart Bleeds for You."
                            It's a great tune... thanks for the sympathy!! Though it would have sounded better in DD5.1

Comment

Or even better with 7.1

Comment

$8-10 but no more than 12( maybe for 12 you also get hdx ) for unlimited subscription would be good, and maybe offer a lower priced vudu player say below 199 w/ external hdd support. maybe even offer the service on other devices like tivo and ps3. also allow for faster downloading for people with fast connections.

Comment

Working...
                                X