Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

More off topic posts that wander anywhere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More off topic posts that wander anywhere...

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
    I had a user who's Office install got messed up and then I messed it up further trying to fix it. I'd deleted just about every file and registry entry that I could find. Yet when I attempted to reinstall I kept getting this "patch file invalid" error or something like that! And that's reinstall from the original CD! Finally, I found a HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID key way down near the end of the list that contained some install information. Once I deleted that, it was gone.
    You probably already know this, but just in case....

I successfully use Windows checkpoint feature, which is part of their backup/restore software. Before I install any new program, I take a checkpoint of the system. I've intalled some programs that had some pretty nasty side effects on my system, usually because they weren't designed to work with Vista correctly.

But I have successfully recovered from these potential disasters by doing a rollback to a previous checkpoint and then I was off and running again.

Re: Discussion of off topic posts

I've had limited success with the Windows checkpoint feature. One time it really saved my system after it had become unstable. However, several other times that I tried it (like when IE7 started crashing after the Flash 9 upgrade), it would just come back after attempting the restore and say that the restore failed.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
      I've had limited success with the Windows checkpoint feature. One time it really saved my system after it had become unstable. However, several other times that I tried it (like when IE7 started crashing after the Flash 9 upgrade), it would just come back after attempting the restore and say that the restore failed.
      Interesting. I've used it about 5 or 6 times without fail. And it has saved my bacon in each case. I have a VAIO with a Bluray drive and HDMI output. I was trying out different online movie offerings and installed Rhaspody's movie video software. It practically wiped out my system. So I used the last checkpoint and everything was good again. It even had the effect of uninstalling the program for me. So I didn't even have to do that.

I also forgot to mention, that Windows can be scheduled to take regular checkpoints, and that, in some situations, it will create an automatic checkpoint when installing a new program. It also keeps a copy of the last 5 or so checkpoints so you can pick an earlier version if needed.

Comment

The restore point got me part of the way there but it didn't fix things by any means...

Comment

That's one thing I HATE about Windows. You cannot easily uninstall stuff.
          That's one thing I totally agree with you.

I have a degree in computer science from Portland State and one of the excercises we had to do was write a small OS in Pascal for Pascal.

From that I came to believe that it was best to use the sandbox approach and let everyone have the freedom to do their thing with the OS but not allow them to stomp on it or any other's sandbox for that matter.

I didn't think the old INI file approach that Windows used to use for each application was necessarily the perfect solution because it wasn't very consistent, but when they created the registry and allowed everyone to mash their crap with everyone else's, and the OS, well it was simply a travesty in my mind.

As far as I'm concerned they should round everyone up who came up with and/or implemented the registry and fly them to the Sun Microsystems complex, blind fold them, and shoot them in the back of head.

That would be justice Colossus style (if you've ever watched the movie or read the books).

I also wrote a mathematical proof showing that Codd was wrong and that there are indeed 7 levels of data normalization (not just 5). But since the normal DA only uses the first 3 levels, nobody really cared.

Besides that and a few other minor things like that, I think Windows is just great!!!

Comment

Wow. A man after my own heart. I love Pascal! Taught myself Turbo Pascal and then took a class on it in college. Too bad C replaced it...

I prefer the way for files that Apple did it with the original OS (I don't think OS X does it this way). Each application (or file for that matter) had a data fork and a resource fork. The resource fork was where things like the type of file, the icon, the preferences, etc. were stored. The data fork was where the actual data was. In essence it was like the Windoze registry but each file had it's own so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
              From that I came to believe that it was best to use the sandbox approach and let everyone have the freedom to do their thing with the OS but not allow them to stomp on it or any other's sandbox for that matter.
              This statement also explains my general disdain for Apple. I don't know how they are now, but in the past they have been very proprietary with their OS and didn't allow others to use it to create their sandbox for the good. And their hardware was also overly expensive (especially for a college student).

So in my mind they created their own self-indulgent niche for being a gadget geared for the puplisher or graphic artist. Since I'm neither of those, it was pretty much a useless box for me.

They almost went bankrupt because of it. They seem to be making a come back with all their new gadgets like the ipod. But they still seem to have a semblance of their old selves when you look at their marketing practices.

So I have nothing to hate about Apple, but I also don't necessarily have anyting to love neither.

Comment

Apple's OS is now based on Unix (NOT Linux) and is quite open sourced. It's a very big sandbox.

Windows on the other hand isn't really open sourced at all.

Comment

Apple's OS is now based on Unix (NOT Linux) and is quite open sourced. It's a very big sandbox.

Like I said it's been a long time ago and I'm too old to keep up. Old habits die hard, but if what you say is true, I'm glad to hear it.

I still hug my Osbourne good night!!

Comment

Apple isn't open sourced either.....They licensed BSD and ported their Finder to the platform. Their applications are now written in C and C++ Pascal died off after OS 6. They can run open source applications but show me where I can get a GNU version of any of the "i" applications or the finder and its behind the scene utilities. If they were there would be Ubuntu looking and working like a Apple.

Windows can run open source applications also. There are plenty of native complied apps and the ones that are not native can execute in windows using a library called Cygwin. I can run X/Windows apps, command line apps, servers etc. Linux, BSD (including Apple), doesn't have a lock on open source applications.

The comment about installing and deleting applications on the Apple not leaving anything around isn't exactly true. Since they "hide" what really goes on behind the scenes when you drag a application to the box and then delete it from the box. There are tons of locations using the "Config" approach in BSD just like Linux. Stuff gets put into a spool, var, lib, bin, etc. There is no standard of what a configuration file looks like or the nomenclature of the config file. Apple just deiced to hide that from the end user.

In windows the the registry is standard and if you want to look for configuration and control data its all in one place not scattered around in 30 different places like Linux and BSD. To each there own, there are strengths and weaknesses in both approaches.
                    Last edited by RonV; 04-26-2008, 05:15 AM.

Comment

There's quite a bit of open source to the behind the scenes parts of OS X. You can find out more about it at developer.apple.com. It's more extensive than you think, Ron. No, the iApps aren't open source but neither are most commercial applications.

Second, Apple apps if done properly don't install things in /var, /etc/, /bin, etc. They are completely self contained packages. A lot of apps violate that rule but it's still very easy to find them. Very little is actually put into the hidden Unix paths. Open Source unix apps are another thing though. Those install stuff all over the place.

And with the Windows registry - it isn't all in one place. Go and search for something like "Word" and see how many CLSIDs there are in HKEY_Root. Some of them don't seem to matter - some do. Then sometime stuff is put in HKEY_Current_User, or maybe HKEY_Current_Config, etc. It goes all over. As someone who has poked around in the registry enough to screw things up royally, I can tell you this is the case.

Comment

Re: OS Wars - Episode 7,658,237 - Still No Hope

I forked this irresistable force/immovable object discussion to its own thread - I hope it dies from neglect

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                          I forked this irresistable force/immovable object discussion to its own thread - I hope it dies from neglect
                          Why didn't you call it "The Dead Thread" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                            So you move a set of posts from a discussion of off topic posts. BRILLIANT! Now we can't even be off topic when we're off topic.

Comment

What an interesting phenomenon. The thread this discussion started on was moved from another thread because it was "off topic". Now, the discussion coalesced around a completely different topic so much that it had to be moved off of the "off topic" thread and onto its own "on topic" thread.

So essentially you were booted off of a thread for being off topic and then you got booted off of its replacement for being too on topic. You guys should make up your minds.

Comment

Working...
                              X