Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu almost here - need some preperation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu almost here - need some preperation help

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
    Oh yea right.... The next thing you'll tell us is that the refrigerator light goes off when you close the door!!
    Well, on mine, I have a little man who lives in my fridge and unscrews the bulb. He gets to nibble on extra food in exchange for doing the work with the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
      I am going to paint a picture of "phase" for you with a very wide brush - folks who speak electricitese try not to be overly critical of this simplified version.

Typical US electrical service comes into your home on 2 hot wires (~110V each) and is desperately seeking a neutral/ground to escape. If you have any 220V devices (AC, Ovens, cool Tools), they need to connect to both 110's to get service. All of your regular 110V outlets are only connected to one of the hots. These 2 hot wires are on opposite cycles or "phases". If you look at your circuit breaker box you will find that the circuits on the left side are on one phase, while the circuits on the right side are on the other phase. When the electric wave of one is "high", the wave of the other is "low". When you use things like X-10, Telephone over AC, and I'm assuming ethernet over AC, they need typcially need to be on the same "phase" to see each other. For X-10 users there is a bridge device that will allow your signals to cross over to the other phase.

I hope this helped, but I may have just muddied the waters in your mind.
      I know when I tested the Powerline adapters at home I could get a connection no matter what circuit I put the second one on. What did affect the speed was an overhead flourescent light in my Kitchen and dining room. If either of those were on the speed through the powerline adapter would drop to 4 or 5mbs.
      I had no problems with my other flourescent lights, only those two which use the same lighting base I bought from Home Depot. As long as those were off speeds were very fast. At my girlfriends where the Powerline adapters are now, there are no speed problems.

Comment

I bought the linksys powerline adapters and they worked great from my office to my kitchen but would not work from the office to the rec room (where VUDU is). The rec room was further away and maybe on different circuit, but in either case it would not work.

So I bought 2 Sonos ZoneBridges and I plugged one into my router and the other into my VUDU and it was up and running just great in about 10 minutes. That is why I always keep recommending Sonos.

http://www.sonos.com/products/zonebr...0/features.htm

If memory serves me, you can go to the Sonos forum/tech support site and I'm (almost positive) they describe a way to configure your computers ethernet port to act as bridge when using the same computer with WIFI. I never tried this myself.

This is for Windows so I don't know if you can do the same with MAC.

So my point is you may be able to temporarily use your computer as a bridge until you get something better.

Also if I "really" wanted to watch a few movies tonight I would go to your local Blockbuster, which is physically located in your office, plug the VUDU box in there, then select a few movies you want to watch, download them to the box then move the VUDU box to your TV tonight and watch the movies.

Where there's a will there's a way!!!!

Regards

Regards

BTW I'm currently in scenic Bakersfield CA and the VUDU content I downloaded works fine and it's about 250 miles from my router!!!!
        Here's the links for using your computer as a wireless bridge to connect your Sonos or VUDU to the internet.
        • For more information on setting up a Microsoft Network Bridge, click here.
        • For more information on OS X Internet Connection Sharing, click here.

Comment

I use my notebook via wireless normally, but out of curiosity I plugged in my notebook to my Sonos Zone Bridge (the same one I plug my VUDU to) via a standard ethernet cable.

It connected to my router just fine and when I looked at the status of the connection, it reported it was connected to the router (not the internet) at 100Mbs.

I could be wrong, but I think you would call that "most excellent" for a wireless bridge.

Regards

Comment

I use my notebook via wireless normally, but out of curiosity I plugged in my notebook to my Sonos Zone Bridge (the same one I plug my VUDU to) via a standard ethernet cable.

It connected to my router just fine and when I looked at the status of the connection, it reported it was connected to the router (not the internet) at 100Mbs.

I could be wrong, but I think you would call that "most excellent" for a wireless bridge.

Regards
            ???

How was it a wireless connection if you plugged it in??

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              ???

How was it a wireless connection if you plugged it in??
              You connect 2 Zone Bridges together the same way you connect 2 Powerline adapters together.

The only difference is that the Zone Bridge communicates with each other via wireless instead of the homes power lines like a PowerLine does.

The other thing I really like about the Zone Bridge is that if the distance between the 2 ZoneBridges is too great you can get a 3rd one and it will act as a repeater. So in theory you could get unlimited range with enough ZoneBridges chained together.

Comment

i used the Buffalo ethernet converters with great success.

they accept 3rd party updates if so inclined.

you mentioned you are not a networking person, but do you know if you have security settings on the equipment?

did you turn off all the networking equipment and restart them (one at a time) to get good DHCP ip's?

it could be the game adapter is trying to use an IP already in use by another device...???

Comment

You connect 2 Zone Bridges together the same way you connect 2 Powerline adapters together.

The only difference is that the Zone Bridge communicates with each other via wireless instead of the homes power lines like a PowerLine does.

The other thing I really like about the Zone Bridge is that if the distance between the 2 ZoneBridges is too great you can get a 3rd one and it will act as a repeater. So in theory you could get unlimited range with enough ZoneBridges chained together.

Ah. It's probably binding two 54 Mb/sec channels together to get a 100 Mb/sec pipe.

Cool when stuff works well!

Comment

Originally posted by dg900rr View Post
                    i used the Buffalo ethernet converters with great success.
                    The problem is that Buffalo is being sued right now and are prohibited by injunction from selling any more WiFi devices. I'm not sure if that injunction is lifted or not but it removed a great product from the market...

Comment

Ah. It's probably binding two 54 Mb/sec channels together to get a 100 Mb/sec pipe.

Cool when stuff works well!
                      Interesting, I always thought it was because there was a Hemi under the hood.

Anyways I really like it and recommend it. It's so easy, even a Cave Man can use it!! No need to mess with security settings and TCP/IP addresses, etc.

It comes with 2 ports, but you can easily connect a hub to it to get even more ports.

If you buy it online from Sonos direct, the minimum cost to get it to work would be $198 ($99/ZoneBridge, minimum 2 required).

(Here I go selling bridges again!! )

Comment

[quote=MaxH;20427]Wait, if you plugged it into one of its own outlets, would you get free power?

Just out of curiosity, I tried but no such luck.

But also out of curiosity I plugged one of the ports of my hub into the input of my router and I'm now getting free internet access!!!

I'll give you one free guess how it works, and then I'll tell you if you can't figure it out.

Comment

[quote=HeadHodge;20494]
                          Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                          Wait, if you plugged it into one of its own outlets, would you get free power?

Just out of curiosity, I tried but no such luck.

But also out of curiosity I plugged one of the ports of my hub into the input of my router and I'm now getting free internet access!!!

I'll give you one free guess how it works, and then I'll tell you if you can't figure it out.
                          Your internet access is already free? (I get one guess, so I had to make it general, but my more specific guesses would have been: You use a free provider; your access is paid for by your employer; it is included as a utility. Oh, or you're stealing it from a neighbor. )

Comment

[quote=MaxH;20525]
                            Oh, or you're stealing it from a neighbor. )
                            BINGO!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

There are several neighbors that have unsecured WIFI next to me.

So I connected my Notebook to their WIFI network and used the instructions I found from SONOS to turn my notebook into a bridge. Then I plugged in a hub into the Ethernet connector on my notebook and then connected one of the ports from the hub to my router.

And then I had free INTERNET throughout my house!!

I don't know if doing that is illegal or not but I don't think it's really moral to steal from thy neighbor (desperate housewives is another story for later). So even though I don't condone doing it, it was a fun and interesting excerise.

Hats off to MaxH

Comment

I don't know if doing that is illegal or not but I don't think it's really moral to steal from thy neighbor (desperate housewives is another story for later). So even though I don't condone doing it, it was a fun and interesting excerise.
                              Lots of debate on this.

What are you stealing though? It's not like you are preventing them from having internet access. It's not like you are somehow taking something that they now cannot have such as if you broke in and stole their original of Starry Nights or something like that. And they are leaving it unprotected and wide open. I leave my EVDO <-> WiFi router in my car wide open. I figure if anyone wants access to the net while I'm at a stop light - more power to them!

It's certainly a gray area here...

Comment

Lots of debate on this.

What are you stealing though? It's not like you are preventing them from having internet access. It's not like you are somehow taking something that they now cannot have such as if you broke in and stole their original of Starry Nights or something like that. And they are leaving it unprotected and wide open. I leave my EVDO <-> WiFi router in my car wide open. I figure if anyone wants access to the net while I'm at a stop light - more power to them!

It's certainly a gray area here...
                                Well I think the problem is that I'm not sure if their network is open intentionally or if it's unsecure out of ignorance.

I would ask them directly if I knew which neighbor it was, but most of the SSID's are things like "Linksys Wifi" or similar. So short of knocking on everyones door, it's would be tough to find out.

My wireless is secure and it's SSID is "3911 Ocean Front Walk", so anyone wanting to access to my network knows exactly which door to knock on.

Comment

Working...
                                X