Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu almost here - need some preperation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu almost here - need some preperation help

Originally posted by dg900rr View Post
    i used the Buffalo ethernet converters with great success.

they accept 3rd party updates if so inclined.

you mentioned you are not a networking person, but do you know if you have security settings on the equipment?

did you turn off all the networking equipment and restart them (one at a time) to get good DHCP ip's?

it could be the game adapter is trying to use an IP already in use by another device...???
    Yeah - I do have security and know how to set up devices to work on my network (I have 4 other wireless devices running fine). I've since returned the game adapter (Vudu said it may not work with Vudu even if I were able to get the device working on just my pc or xbox anyhow.).

I made sure the device was using an IP address outside of the range of my DHCP settings. When that failed, I set it to one of the IPs within my DHCP range. When that failed, I set the device from static to obtain IP (which meant I could no longer log into it via my PC since I wouldn't know the IP) and that also failed.

I also went out and tried powerline adapters as has been suggested many times. Did not work. After readjusting the way my living room electric was set up, I could not get a signal. So I took both powerline adapters into the computer room and plugged them both into the same outlet (one on top, one on bottom) and they still didn't work. I've no idea why that would be unless one of them was defective. Besides that, they caused a ticking noise to come through my computer speakers (even when it was just one of them plugged in my computer room).

So basically I am still unable to use my Vudu.

I really do hope there will be a future version of vudu that comes with both the ethernet port and built in wireless to help people get around this. Not every household has their Internet setup in their living room and not all people are computer/network literate enough to hack something together if it doesnt work out of the box. This is my only complaint about Vudu so far - sadly for me, its a big enough one that I can't use it.

I don't have the time (or desire, really) to be driving back and forth to Best Buy or Circuit City and trying each of their wireless bridge devices until I find one that works and the ones recommended by Vudu (at least via telephone) are not carried in store anymore. Looks like I'm going to have to shell out $305 for an electrician to come and run set up a jack between my upstairs computer room and my downstairs living room. This is turning into one expensive movie watching scenario.

On a good note, I did connect Vudu to my network upstairs and let it download my two free Bourne movies. I checked out the first 5 minutes of the second one on my TV and it looked good. Better than I expected in all aspects except for dark shades (but I think that it a limitation of my plasma tv and not the quality of the movie). So I am very pleased with the way the movies look. Now if only I could actually set it up so I could use it.

Comment

Odd your powerline adapters didn't work. Very odd. You know, we could see about getting you a Linksys router flashed with the 3rd party firmware that you could easily put into client mode. I'd be more than happy to set that up for you. You could order the router, have it shipped to me, I'd flash it and send it to you all configured and ready to go.

I still think hard wired ethernet is best but I'm willing to help out any way I can.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
        Odd your powerline adapters didn't work. Very odd. You know, we could see about getting you a Linksys router flashed with the 3rd party firmware that you could easily put into client mode. I'd be more than happy to set that up for you. You could order the router, have it shipped to me, I'd flash it and send it to you all configured and ready to go.

I still think hard wired ethernet is best but I'm willing to help out any way I can.
        Thanks very much! That is a nice offer. If I end up not going the Ethernet route (the electrician blew me off yesterday and didn't even call) I will probably take you up on that.

Thanks again.

--Eryk the Anomoly

Comment

Hey when your powerline adapters didn't work, did you plug them DIRECTLY into the wall socket or did you use a power strip. If you used a power strip that would explain why they didn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
            Hey when your powerline adapters didn't work, did you plug them DIRECTLY into the wall socket or did you use a power strip. If you used a power strip that would explain why they didn't work...
            in the outlets directly. No powerstrip. Even in the same outlet (one on top one on bottom).

Comment

Originally posted by calseeor View Post
              in the outlets directly. No powerstrip. Even in the same outlet (one on top one on bottom).
              You said that previously. I missed that. Sorry...

I hope Vudu does come out with either a wireless box or a wireless adapter at some point. It is needed.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, is there some reason you wouldn't consider using the Sonos wireless bridge?? It works great for me and I've mentioned it several times to multiple people and always get a cool reception to it.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, is there some reason you wouldn't consider using the Sonos wireless bridge?? It works great for me and I've mentioned it several times to multiple people and always get a cool reception to it.
                  No reason in particular. Just I've never heard of Sonos before and was trying to use stuff that was recommended by Vudu. This "should" all be solved this coming week when I pay for an ethernet jack to be added to my living room from my PC room. A bit pricey but it should work with no hassle.

Comment

No reason in particular. Just I've never heard of Sonos before and was trying to use stuff that was recommended by Vudu. This "should" all be solved this coming week when I pay for an ethernet jack to be added to my living room from my PC room. A bit pricey but it should work with no hassle.
                    Thanks for your feedback.

So NA9D is there a process for VUDU evaluating and certifying stuff like this?

I don't sell this stuff, so I don't have any stake in it. It's just between this site and the Directv site, it's amazing how many posts are out there with people that have this connectivity issue. And it just feels weird reading all of them when it only took me about 2 days to get the Zonebridges shipped to me and about 10-15 minutes to get it unpacked and working.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

So NA9D is there a process for VUDU evaluating and certifying stuff like this?

I don't sell this stuff, so I don't have any stake in it. It's just between this site and the Directv site, it's amazing how many posts are out there with people that have this connectivity issue. And it just feels weird reading all of them when it only took me about 2 days to get the Zonebridges shipped to me and about 10-15 minutes to get it unpacked and working.
                      What would you estimate to be the street price for a pair of Zonebridge devices?

Comment

Interesting, I always thought it was because there was a Hemi under the hood.

Anyways I really like it and recommend it. It's so easy, even a Cave Man can use it!! No need to mess with security settings and TCP/IP addresses, etc.

It comes with 2 ports, but you can easily connect a hub to it to get even more ports.

If you buy it online from Sonos direct, the minimum cost to get it to work would be $198 ($99/ZoneBridge, minimum 2 required).

(Here I go selling bridges again!! )
                        This is what I paid direct. If there is a street price, one would think something equal to or less than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                          What would you estimate to be the street price for a pair of Zonebridge devices?
                          Just as an aside. They make and sell a music media sharing set top box to share the music on your computer as well as the internet services like Rhaspody, Internet Radio, and Napter throughout the home. They use the "Zone" moniker to describe each seperate room or location in your home.

But they were having exactly the same problem as Directv and VUDU in that their box could not connect to the internet wirelessly, you have to physically plug at least one of their devices into your router with an ethernet connector.

The problem appears universal in that as more internet devices make there way into the living room, the internet connection seems to be the most problematic aspect of getting them to work, because most internet access is in the home office where the computer is located.

So what they did to solve the problem was to make their own internet bridge to get the internet connection to their set boxes located in the living room and other "media zones".

They designed the Zonebridge to do this and is a very recent addition to their product line.

But they also made it so that it bridged vanilla internet so that it will work with any other internet device, besides their own. They advertise it as such and I think they were very smart in doing so.

I tried to find out how it works, but I just ran into the son of Shultzy there and didn't make any progress.

But at least for me it works Great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post

BINGO!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

There are several neighbors that have unsecured WIFI next to me.

So I connected my Notebook to their WIFI network and used the instructions I found from SONOS to turn my notebook into a bridge. Then I plugged in a hub into the Ethernet connector on my notebook and then connected one of the ports from the hub to my router.

And then I had free INTERNET throughout my house!!

I don't know if doing that is illegal or not but I don't think it's really moral to steal from thy neighbor (desperate housewives is another story for later). So even though I don't condone doing it, it was a fun and interesting excerise.

Hats off to MaxH
                            Well, you're not alone, but you might get in trouble for it.
                            Last edited by Nded; 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM. Reason: open quotes

Comment

You can pick up a wireless bridge for under $100 online if I remember correctly when I was looking at them a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                                Well, you're not alone, but you might get in trouble for it.
                                I think that case in Tampa Bay was thrown out...

Comment

Working...
                                X