Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Compression Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression Discussion

Originally posted by redwein
    The HD is HD. The resolutions of 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all in fact HD. Anything that has that resolution is by definition HD.
    I think this whole discussion could be put to bed, if there was a benchmark for bit-loss.

No matter what speed or resoultion it's sent in, it could still be equally quantified and compared that way.

For example if you took a frame that was digitized at 10MB/frame. And after the encoding and decoding process at the other end you end up with 5MB/frame, then that would sure explain alot and totally rule out the "quality of content" factor.

Re: User-requested enhancements & features?

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
    I think this whole discussion could be put to bed, if there was a benchmark for bit-loss.

No matter what speed or resoultion it's sent in, it could still be equally quantified and compared that way.

For example if you took a frame that was digitized at 10MB/frame. And after the encoding and decoding process at the other end you end up with 5MB/frame, then that would sure explain alot and totally rule out the "quality of content" factor.
    In addition since VUDU does both ends of the encoding and decodiing they would be very capable of peforming this measurement. They could even patent and set an industry standard by doing it.

Some days I just feel smarter than I look!!

Comment

Very informative thread - thanks. Perhaps what is needed is a real VOD industry standard as to what HD files should be. I think that HD should mean a very specific thing not a series of resolutions or bit rates. The HD on VUDU or apple tv is good, but not great, that's a fact. Sometimes, the SD content that I've seen on VUDU exceeds the HD stuff. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out as more and more people get their movies via the internet. I still think it is not unreasonable to have an "enhanced" definition download option at arount $4 a pop. $5.99 would be fair when the quality of the download actually approaches an HD or Blue Ray disc.

Rad

Comment

Originally posted by radguy View Post
        I still think it is not unreasonable to have an "enhanced" definition download option at arount $4 a pop. $5.99 would be fair when the quality of the download actually approaches an HD or Blue Ray disc.

Rad
        Right On!!!

I don't know you, but I already love you!!!

Comment

However, since DirecTV, Comcast, and every other television provider has varying levels of quality, calling all of them HD if they are the proper resolution (even 720p) it doesn't seem reasonable to make any statments that say Vudu is somehow being misleading or dishonest about calling its HD offering HD.

Comment

$5.99 would be fair when the quality of the download actually approaches an HD or Blue Ray disc.

Rad
            Personally, I think it is a fair price as it is, given the quality improvement over their SD titles while retaining instant play capability. Remember, you are also paying for convenience, which some of us put a very high value on.

Comment

Very informative thread - thanks. Perhaps what is needed is a real VOD industry standard as to what HD files should be. I think that HD should mean a very specific thing not a series of resolutions or bit rates. The HD on VUDU or apple tv is good, but not great, that's a fact. Sometimes, the SD content that I've seen on VUDU exceeds the HD stuff. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out as more and more people get their movies via the internet. I still think it is not unreasonable to have an "enhanced" definition download option at arount $4 a pop. $5.99 would be fair when the quality of the download actually approaches an HD or Blue Ray disc.

Rad
              How long are you willing to wait for a movie with the quality of a Blu-Ray disk to download so you can view it? If we get into Blu-Ray bitrates, we'd be talking about days.
              Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

My argument is with the HD nomenclature, of course, I'm aware of the present limits on bandwith for delivery of TRUE HD content. As an analogogy I give you upconverting DVD players. Yes, for the most part some of the better ones will make your standard DVD look better, by messing with the encoded digital file, but they are not true HD players, and don't claim to be. Should VUDU, along with the Cable and Satellite VOD providers claim that their content is really HD, when in fact, it seems to me they are doing something similar to what these players are doing? Jus asking, not wanting to upset anyone. As I said on my original post I am satisfied with the VUDU model so far.

Rad

Comment

Well, the VUDU box does upconvert standard definition (480p) content like upconverting DVD players do. However, our HD content is in native HD resolution (1920x1080p @ 24 frames per second). Being that it is in native HD resolution, we call it HD.
                  Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by JohnA View Post
                    How long are you willing to wait for a movie with the quality of a Blu-Ray disk to download so you can view it? If we get into Blu-Ray bitrates, we'd be talking about days.
                    This is always the reply I get when I discuss this topic.

I don't think the issue has anything whatever to do with bitrates, video resolutions, or anything like that.

Remember the old adage "Garbage In equals Garbage Out"?? Well with video and audio there should be a new adage called "Quality In equals Garbage Out".

The basic goal should just simply be "Quality In equals Quality Out", even if it's not entirely possible with todays technology.

It doesn't really matter how it's accomplished. Whether it's done with Kermit or MPEG2 or MPEG4 or H.264 or something proprietary or no compression at all, there should be a way to measure and quantify what is stuck in the pipe at one end and what comes out at the other end.

With that there would be a true benchmark for quality. I just get tired of all the subjective observations where it's left up to the observer to rate the quality of the content. There are just too many variables, the time of day they watch it, the equipment they use to watch it on, the room lighting, their mood, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

For a flashy action movie, like the first Matrix movie, I'd wait that long and pay up to around double the current rates. And that movie had a lot of dark scenes that probably would have showed the same banding issue we've been discussing, so it would probably benefit a lot from a higher bitrate. Even though I own the DVD, I still might pay to watch it once in full 1080i.

Comment

Thanks! I'm sure this was stated before and I missed it. It's the clearest explanation of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                          For a flashy action movie, like the first Matrix movie, I'd wait that long and pay up to around double the current rates. And that movie had a lot of dark scenes that probably would have showed the same banding issue we've been discussing, so it would probably benefit a lot from a higher bitrate. Even though I own the DVD, I still might pay to watch it once in full 1080i.
                          I don't know if you were an HD-DVD adopter, but the Matrix trilogy is available as a box set on HD-DVD. I never got around to picking it up. Not sure if you want to support a dead format either.
                          Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

I don't know if you were an HD-DVD adopter, but the Matrix trilogy is available as a box set on HD-DVD. I never got around to picking it up. Not sure if you want to support a dead format either.
                            What's HD-DVD??

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                              What's HD-DVD??
                              High quality source for movies...much like BetaMax.

*gently pets his HD-DVD addon drive for the XBox 360."
                              Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X