Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Netflix Box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Netflix Box...

It would be great if Vudu could have something similar; a flat monthly fee for everything except new release movies. I'd especially like the TV shows .

I may still try the Netflix box as an adjunct to my Vudu and mainly for everything except new movies. But at $9.99 for all of that, I'm afraid that I may find that I'm using Netflix more than Vudu. We'll see.

Comment

I don't think it's so quick and dirty but I'm surprised it's not more.

The box is produced by Roku. FYI, Roku's primary owner, founder and former CEO is Anthony Wood. Anthony left Roku about 14 months or so ago to head up the internet hardware division at Netflix. Sounds like this marriage was intentional.

So they've been working on this for a while. Roku is a good company and Anthony Wood knows his stuff (he founded ReplayTV), but at the same time, Anthony never seems to finish a project before it's abandoned. The Replay series never came to full maturity and some Roku products like the Photobridge were shelved long before their time as well. History tends to repeat itself.

Comment

It all comes down to content.

10,000 movies and growing. I havent seen the list... does it included new(er) movies at all? Have to look into that.But my household is Mac only, so I don't think I could run one anyway (or could I?).

When they add HD and their entire DVD library (and you know its coming)... it will def. be a force to be reckoned with.
        I could be suave, but how many crude guys do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by radguy View Post
          Guys, this product has got great potential. As a Netflix subscriber I'm definately getting a box. Just their catalog of TV shows is worth it. As far as quality goes if you have a 4 mbs connection the video should be good quality. Not HD or perfect DVD quality, but definately good enough to watch BBC comedies, or old Law and Order episodes. And, the firmware will surely be updated and improved. I like my VUDU box, but there is nothing wrong with healthy competition. How will VUDU react?

RAD
          Er no .. its barely broadcast TV quality. It is .. moderate SD quality .. not good by any standard.

And yes if all you want to do is watch old tv shows and really old movies, this is for you. For the 95% of us that don't fit that description, this box, and netflix online overall don't meet the par.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
            It all comes down to content.

10,000 movies and growing. I havent seen the list... does it included new(er) movies at all? Have to look into that.But my household is Mac only, so I don't think I could run one anyway (or could I?).

When they add HD and their entire DVD library (and you know its coming)... it will def. be a force to be reckoned with.
            No .. its not coming .. you guys are being insanely hopeful. Netflix Online has been live for what 2 years now ? They don't have any good movies 2 years later, and they wont 2 years from now. While no one can predict the future you can make an educated guess based upon studio greed. A subscription model is NOT going to work for new/popular releases.

The interface on this box alone is in every review described as painful to use. No HD means FF/RW will always be painful. The box is $100 for a reason .. there is nothing to it HW or SW it is junk. I am shocked Ruku put their name on this personally as they do have some high quality products, this, is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
              Currently it takes 4 Mb/sec. for DVD quality. That's already stretching it for many. HD will probably double that requirement.

Comment

It will not be replacing my VUDU box, but it's great addition to any home entertainment set up IMHO. For $99 and with the same monthly plan that I already have I have access to a lot more content. As far as the quality is concerned I am sure a lot of it depends on the quality of your internet connection, mine is 4 mbs +. One has to assume that the quality and the content will improve, after all we are talking about a major player here, Netflix. Roku is a pretty innovative company as well, I'm sure that they have bigger and better things down the pike. As I said, competition is good and I think this will encourage VUDU and Apple TV to up their game. More content, different pricing structure? Who knows, I'm cool with it.

Originally posted by Riekl View Post
                Er no .. its barely broadcast TV quality. It is .. moderate SD quality .. not good by any standard.

And yes if all you want to do is watch old tv shows and really old movies, this is for you. For the 95% of us that don't fit that description, this box, and netflix online overall don't meet the par.

Comment

The main reason NOT to get this box (aside from mediocre content) is that it's just the first of multiple hardware platform. We already know there's going to be an LG box and, maybe, an intergration with a gaming console (360 or PS3). Netlfix stated many times that they want to put their technology in everything, so it could very well end up in a Blu-Ray players and other gear.

Comment

Okay,

first I ordered Moviebeam--waste of money,
                    then HDDVD--it was fun while it lasted
                    then AppleTV--v1.0 eh, so so; but v2.0, love it
                    then Vudu--love it also (because of the more comprehensive movie selection)

now I just ordered Roku--impulse buy, but I do like the old Alfred Hitchcock and Outer Limits TV shows, and what the heck, only $99 and free videos (I already have the $8.99 per month account). I might eventually set up the Roku by my little (11 inch) LCD TV so I can watch the old TV shows while I exercise on my elliptical. I will fill you in later after it arrives and I set it up.

--orccro

Comment

It's essentially an extension of their PC streaming - which is not DVD quality and has never had deep content. But it's an interesting move forward.

But unlimited viewing - that's got potential to be an anchor around their neck. They're going to have to pay the studios for every one of those views, and the more attractive that they make the viewing the more its going to cost them. The only way this works for them is to make it unattractive to view. They've already found ways to throttle their most active DVD users, there's no reason to think they won't do the same with their streaming users.

So unless they think that this will get them subscribers who will rent DVDs mostly and stream only in a pinch, it's a little confusing. I think the primary market for these devices will be people who already have a NetFlix account.

Or maybe that they have enough money to wait out a change of attitude in the studios?

Comment

Interesting comments I'm reading from Roku CEO (former ReplayTV CEO) about this box being able to play back HD content. Except for the fact that it has no on-board storage - meaning it can't play unless it can stream that fast. So unless maybe a future solution includes a PC in the middle, it's useless.

No storage and almost no interface. How could it lose? :-) Although I'll bet it could be hacked to be somewhat interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jleavens View Post
                          Interesting comments I'm reading from Roku CEO (former ReplayTV CEO) about this box being able to play back HD content. Except for the fact that it has no on-board storage - meaning it can't play unless it can stream that fast. So unless maybe a future solution includes a PC in the middle, it's useless.

No storage and almost no interface. How could it lose? :-) Although I'll bet it could be hacked to be somewhat interesting.
                          The other thing that really sucks about Netflix's Instant Viewing, is that it will do a speed test and adjust the streaming bit rate according to the results. So with the 1.5 mb down speed I have, I have to use a crayon to connect the pixels to get a watchable picture. At least with VUDU you get a consistent quality no matter what connection speed you have.

Comment

Oh it will play an HD stream no problem. The guys from Roku figured out years ago how to do that with the HD-1000 models. But given with the Netflix solution that you need a 4 Mbps connection for DVD quality, you'd need to probably have at minimum an 8 Mbps connection for HD of decent quality.

Second problem is that they have no HD content.

Comment

It has a form of local storage. The player has a total of 256MB of RAM of which up to 64MB could be used for buffering.

But yeah, that's not enough and the whole deal about automatically adjusting quality seems dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                                It has a form of local storage. The player has a total of 256MB of RAM of which up to 64MB could be used for buffering.

But yeah, that's not enough and the whole deal about automatically adjusting quality seems dumb.
                                From what I understand is that Netflix is storing many stream bitrates and it attempts to map the correct bitrate to your internet connection. I read in one of the posts is that the stream can change dynamically. Which means your quality goes down as you internet connection saturates and then goes back up as the saturation goes away. Not good for a consistent viewing experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X