Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

What happens to my movies if VUDU goes out of business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to my movies if VUDU goes out of business?

I'm sorry if this has been already answered but I couldn't find anything in the FAQs.
    ATM not knowing what will happen to my VUDU-library if they go belly-up really holds me back from purchasing anything (besides rentals). It would be really nice to know if Walmart has some kind of plan for the worst case scenario.
    I guess a hey-sorry-here-take-your-money-back kind of thing won't happen. But could there be a chance that they at least transfer your rights of ownership to another service (UltraViolet, amazon)?

Re: What happens to my movies if VUDU goes out of business?

Originally posted by nimmzwei View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been already answered but I couldn't find anything in the FAQs.
    ATM not knowing what will happen to my VUDU-library if they go belly-up really holds me back from purchasing anything (besides rentals). It would be really nice to know if Walmart has some kind of plan for the worst case scenario.
    I guess a hey-sorry-here-take-your-money-back kind of thing won't happen. But could there be a chance that they at least transfer your rights of ownership to another service (UltraViolet, amazon)?
    Amazon or other company operating a similar service could buy VUDU or accept the responsibility if Wal-Mart isn't able to make VUDU viable business but if no company can build a successful business like this, then there would be no company available to take the responsibility. The fact Wal-Mart owns VUDU and isn't likely to shut down the service without compensating right's owners is the only assurance I can see. If it is shut down without compensation, litigation is a certainty. If you are the type that worries about things like this, I don't see anyway you can be comfortable and would worry regardless of any assurances.

Read the user agreement to better understand your rights and decide for yourself is about all you can do.

Comment

If I may, let me share some insight about this issue....I have been a VUDU customer for a few years, and have over 300 movies that I own with them..
      There were some situations over the years that they could have applied their TOS, but didn't because they wanted to provide great customer service...

I know it's a risk, particularly if you only stream and can't download, but I have had no problems accessing my films at any time...Another confidence booster was the acquisition by Walmart...

That said, I got an email from Blockbuster stating their service would no longer be available on my devices as of 3/31/2012....Now the device I have in my home cinema and my Vizio TV both have the app on them....Now thank God I didn't purchase any movies from them...I would still have my movies in the cloud, from what I understand you don't lose the licenses, but I will need to buy another device even though the ones I have are functional...This does not look good in the eyes of the public, IMO....The only analogy I can come up with were the Blu-ray "profiles"....What a nightmare until they got it right.....

If I understand it right, the Ultraviolet system will store your purchases independent from who you bought them from....Sorry for the long post, I thought I could be helpful with a little detail...

Comment

I don't know if anyone remembers, but walmart "once" ran another online movie service. I know. I bought several tv shows off it. Then walmart ceased the service and poof... movies no more. No allowance for customers. No refunds. No customer service. Nothing.

Movies downloaded still played until some copy protection DRM issue messed up (which happened A LOT while the service was active). Back then, you called walmarts movie customer service and they resent the DRM info to allow your purchased movie(s) to once again play.

After walmart killed their movie online service, no cs to call. And thus after a windows update, or some fluke, DRM was lost and the downloaded purchases were useless digital paper weights.

I hate to suggest this, but I totally suspect the same-o if VUDU should be terminated or sold off to another like amazon or blockbuster, where the new owners would surely just kill off the VUDU service.
        Sadly in the world of online video services, that is the reality of how it works.
        If VUDU were to be sold off, and I truly worry about that because after all walmart's #1 goal is the business to make money, so if walmart did sell or ceased VUDU, customers would just be out of luck. Period.

After all, that would not be the first time walmart had killed off one of their online movie services due to profit concerns, and left former customers out in the cold.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

While considering to replace my DVDs/BDs with VoD, I did a rough calculation of how often I've actually watched the discs I have in my collection and came up with some pretty shocking results.
          I've got a lot of movies (old and new) that I purchased after I've watched (and liked) them, that now just sit on my shelf and haven't even gotten a second viewing.
          If you factor in the amount of new stuff that is coming out and that you probably want to see as well, it gets more and more unlikely that those said movies will ever spin again.
          Then there is the release of a new / better? format every few years that gives your current collection that laser-discy feel (no offense to you LD lovers out there) and before you know it you find yourself spending money on that Lord Of The Rings (Extended Edition) in 4K and 3D which you already own on DVD / Bluray / etc...
          In a nut-shell: I decided to stop buying movies and just rent what I want to see. I think VUDU offers a great service for that and should they ever go out of business - well nothing is lost - and I can just move on to another service.

Comment

It seems like a no brainer...if company goes under release the DRM rights to the content that people paid for... but then that makes sense...

Of course there always class action law suits....but that isn't easy when a company doesn't exist anymore...

Let's just hope VUDU doesn't go the way of the DODO.... which i don't think they will as their selection is better than the other's out there ATM and you only pay for what you use...

Comment

VUDU should be around awhile, as they're picking up more users due to entering more markets (via xbox, ps3, etc). Plus the fact that they're owned by Walmart is quite helpful.

A more likely concern is what happens if Walmart sells VUDU to another competitor...

Comment

Now that they are part of Ultraviolet I have even more confidence in them and believe me on April 16th I will be in Walmart getting my DVD and HD-DVD/ Blu-ray collection transferred to ultraviolet for Vudu..... Well the ones that will transfer meaning everyone but the Disney discs.

Comment

They won't go out of business because the quality of their HDX offerings in awesome.

However, please add an option to turn off the automatic bump down if my connection is too slow. I hate that. I'd rather let it load for a while before I start watching than get bumped down to a crappy quality. It's my choice, let me choose it.

HDX forevah!!

Comment

Originally posted by kikar View Post
                    Now that they are part of Ultraviolet I have even more confidence in them and believe me on April 16th I will be in Walmart getting my DVD and HD-DVD/ Blu-ray collection transferred to ultraviolet for Vudu..... Well the ones that will transfer meaning everyone but the Disney discs.
                    Did they say it could be used with HD DVDs?

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

While considering to replace my DVDs/BDs with VoD, I did a rough calculation of how often I've actually watched the discs I have in my collection and came up with some pretty shocking results.
                      I've got a lot of movies (old and new) that I purchased after I've watched (and liked) them, that now just sit on my shelf and haven't even gotten a second viewing.
                      If you factor in the amount of new stuff that is coming out and that you probably want to see as well, it gets more and more unlikely that those said movies will ever spin again.
                      Then there is the release of a new / better? format every few years that gives your current collection that laser-discy feel (no offense to you LD lovers out there) and before you know it you find yourself spending money on that Lord Of The Rings (Extended Edition) in 4K and 3D which you already own on DVD / Bluray / etc...
                      In a nut-shell: I decided to stop buying movies and just rent what I want to see. I think VUDU offers a great service for that and should they ever go out of business - well nothing is lost - and I can just move on to another service.
                      I have to wonder why you collected so many movies if you didn't watch them more than once or at all? Wouldnt you figure that out after you purchased 4 or 5 titles??
                      While you may have fallen out of favor with collecting, the sell thru video sales last year were around a $10 billion dollar business which is hardly chump change and shows that many many people are still interested in owning rather than renting videos. VUDU with Ultraviolet is a great extension to my film library and gives the viewer more choices which I see as an excellent thing!

Comment

Originally posted by kikar View Post
                        Add Lionsgate, MGM, and independents to the list that can't be transferred.......Only Sony, Fox, Warner, Paramount, and Universal are eligible....Don't know about DreamWorks...

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
                          Add Lionsgate, MGM, and independents to the list that can't be transferred.......Only Sony, Fox, Warner, Paramount, and Universal are eligible....Don't know about DreamWorks...
                          DreamWorks Animation = yes
                          Rest of DreamWorks = no

Comment

If your worried about your movies. Convert the Ultraviolet movies only. So, even If VUDU goes out of business, you can still play your movies else where like Flixster or maybe in the future Amazon etc. Gotta remember Ultraviolet is our universal library.

Comment

Originally posted by Towergrove View Post
                              I have to wonder why you collected so many movies if you didn't watch them more than once or at all? Wouldnt you figure that out after you purchased 4 or 5 titles??
                              While you may have fallen out of favor with collecting, the sell thru video sales last year were around a $10 billion dollar business which is hardly chump change and shows that many many people are still interested in owning rather than renting videos. VUDU with Ultraviolet is a great extension to my film library and gives the viewer more choices which I see as an excellent thing!
                              Well, I think it is a basic "collectors" problem. When your collection exceeds a certain size it starts to soak up movies for its own good. It's not always a rational thing, you know. Took me little bit longer to "figure that out"... more like 400 to 500 titles, but I'm happy that all the movies in your collection get the love and attention they deserve...

Comment

Working...
                              X