Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU on Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU on Yahoo

Originally posted by Petercarbo View Post
    I guess it's back up to $399.
    no. Still $249...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
      no. Still $249...
      Must have been cached out there. Yep, back to $399...

Wonder how many they sold at $249!

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
        Must have been cached out there. Yep, back to $399...

Wonder how many they sold at $249!
        Nope. I now see it again at $249...

Comment

I have not seen it go back up to $399...it's been $249 since this morning

Comment

Originally posted by cmunguia View Post
            I have not seen it go back up to $399...it's been $249 since this morning
            Yeah, I was messing around in Firefox with it and must have had an old cookie in the cache...

Comment

249 seems much more palatable. Kudus to vudus.

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post

I think it will take off tho ... and I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix bought Vudu out ...
                Originally posted by cmunguia View Post
                what makes you think Vudu would even consider selling to NetFlix?

The Vudu starters are all people that use to work with Tivo.
                they know what they are doing, that's why this product is so good!!!!

If there is any fact in this article:
                http://www.last100.com/2007/10/18/ne...set-top-magic/
                vudu could be in trouble.

It basically says netflix is working on a vudu type box.

If netflix makes there own set top download box with there name and movie library vudu should hope to be bought out by them.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema

Comment

This will be interesting but like the last line of the article says:

Of course, they are quite a few ifs.

The most obvious thing to realize about a Netflix branded box is that it will not likely give them a better position with the studios as far as making content available. Netflix does not have a "movie library". They simply have the right to distribute DVDs. Any mom and pop video store can pretty much do the same thing. The studios are not punishing Vudu because they are not Netflix. They are overreacting to piracy fears due to the new delivery technology. Netflix will run into exactly the same issues.

Then there is the pricing comments. They just plucked the $100 number out of the air and suggested that this would be subsidized by minimum subscription fees. Who knows if the $100 price is even reasonable. Also, one of the nice things about Vudu is that if you don't watch any movies for a month you don't pay anything. Personally, I prefer the Vudu way, as long as the rental fees are competitive. In any event, there is no inherent reason why Vudu couldn't attempt to compete on price. Then it comes down to the question of who has the better offering.

Something I noticed the article did not mention was whether or not they were looking at instant start capability. Maybe they are. Maybe not. If they don't, that would be a big negative against the Netflix box.

Anyway, competition is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their toes and usually benefits the consumer (you and me) in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post

Something I noticed the article did not mention was whether or not they were looking at instant start capability. Maybe they are. Maybe not. If they don't, that would be a big negative against the Netflix box.

Anyway, competition is a good thing. It keeps everyone on their toes and usually benefits the consumer (you and me) in the end.
                    David vs. Goliath ....

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
                      David vs. Goliath ....
                      I seem to remember when Netflix was the David and Blockbuster was the Goliath. I think getting upset or worried over someone's guess that wasn't even an announcement is a bit premature. This product has a lot of the sizzle of Tivo and not as many hurdles compared to the competition. In the Tivo case, the cable and satellite companies have a captive audience since their customers rely on them for programming. They can give them a free box that is a piece of crap and people will take it (though probably not anyone who has ever owned a Tivo ).

People are not dependent on Netflix like they are their cable company. If Vudu can build a product that is as superior to the competitors offerings as Tivo is to the cable company DVRs, they really do stand a decent chance. Since they have a bunch of people from Tivo working there and they have a great product and a decent head start, I think they have a good shot at pulling that off.

Comment

$399.00 today....

Comment

Well obviously the price went up because they couldn't keep up with the demand at $249.

That, or they just decided to overprice it yet again.

Comment

Maybe the CFO has a dual personality...

Comment

I am back

All right, few comments on this thread.

(Netflix news) Anthony Wood was our CEO at ReplayTV, and I know Spencer who is developing this project since more than a year ago. Yeah, they are about to do the same thing as Vudu does, only better.

(Price/value/desire to have)
                              That's look at some examples mentioned in this thread
                              DVD replaced VHS: DVD provide superior video/audio quality.
                              CD replaced tape: same reason, superior audio quality.
                              iPod vs Walkman: Easy to carry size, neat design, neat interface, long battery life. tons of songs to go with you.
                              iPhone: easy to carry size, internet/phone everywhere access. Neat design.
                              Tivo (ReplayTV): give you control over your your TV like you never have.
                              Vudu vs DVD: par video quality, sub-par audio quality(feature). About the same cost for titles. Instant rental (nice). Not as easy to keep titles, can't lend out or circulate (exchange) them. Twice or more expensive on player.

If Vudu can keep its 249 price, it's pretty good value. But weather customer wants to buy it is another story.
                              I mean, you can make a $300 paper weight with $295 worth of gold plates on it. That's good value. But I certainly won't buy one.
                              Would you?

Comment

Until we see something concrete from Netflix about their box/service everything is speculation. Just saying it is better and not in what way doesn't give us much to go on or discuss.

About your pros and cons for Vudu:

1. There is nothing technology wise that prevents providing 5.1 audio. So Vudu can "fix" that as easy as anybody, including Netflix.

2. For keeping titles, your comment compares Vudu to just using DVDs. You leave out the whole part about acquiring them. That is the big draw to me. If this gets to cruising altitude, I would never want to own any movies ever and would never want to handle a physical disk again, ever. Netflix today doesn't let you do it either. If they have a box, they will run into the same issues. Again, Vudu can do whatever Netflix might do.

3. For lending out DVDs, we have over 700 of them and don't typically lend them out. I wouldn't want to base my buying/renting solution on the ability to do so and I certainly would rather not have to physically store and organize hundreds to thousands of disks just to do so.

The cost of the player will be determined by the market. We all know that technology products like this go down in price over time. This shouldn't be any different. Besides, there are currently a lot of people willing to shell out money for high tech gadgets that make their lives better. This one, if it meets its potential will greatly improve the ability for my family to watch movies and it would be worth the current price to me. It has already begun to do so. That isn't by having movies that are better audio and video quality than DVDs. It's by making it simple for me to watch what I want, when I want, and not have to worry about physical media at all. That is what I am buying with Vudu.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't in any way believe that Vudu is infallible. I simply believe they are the first to come out with a product that appears to have as its long term goal, exactly what I have been hoping for for the last several years. If someone (Netflix) comes out with something better, I'll probably be the first to buy it and try it out. Vudu, like any company will have to compete on product and price. Personally, I think this will be more like the Tivo. Any DVR that I have ever seen since I got my first Tivo has left me severely disappointed. I wouldn't even use one for free and I was willing to shell out more money than the Vudu costs to upgrade to the Series 3. It's that good.

Comment

Working...
                                X