Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU on Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU on Yahoo

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/7269

Nice review...but looks like you VUDU Engineers and marketing folks have some work to do...

Re: VUDU on Yahoo

Go to google news and enter vudu, sort by date - you'll get plenty of articles about vudu ... mostly mixed ...

Comment

Been there, got that T-shirt...;-)

Here's how I see the first month reviews from across the board(Not mine, let's make that clear):

The Good:

1. Nice selection, albeit not same day release, still good.
      2. Slick nice working top box
      3. Nice video quality

The Bad:

1. No one likes the $400.00 price (even with the secret $100.00 discount code) By the way hope you didn't get yours at 400?..;-)
      2. Audio quality as a whole, some movies are good, some not...mixed there.

Overall mixed...but looks like it will make some impact on the market, so for the 'next generation" technology for watching movies, not a bad start...

Comment

Quite a few have complained about the selection of movies too -- but I won't mention that ..

I think it will take off tho ... and I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix bought Vudu out ...

Comment

what makes you think Vudu would even consider selling to NetFlix?

The Vudu starters are all people that use to work with Tivo.
          they know what they are doing, that's why this product is so good!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cmunguia View Post
            what makes you think Vudu would even consider selling to NetFlix?

$$$ why not???

It is a good product, that's why some conglomerate may be interested.

Comment

Ok C...did you not read the reviews/posts? Yes it's a decent product, beats most of the other folks in this arena out, but people do not want to pay 400 for the box....said in about 9/10 sites posting. I am not complaining about the product, I think it's great...but your obviously skewed towards VUDU since your one of the beta testers....take it from a perspective of not knowing the product in today's market. High price, no HD, no TV, poor sound quality. Yes it's video is good...yes it's convienent, but to be honest I for one am getting tired of the super users and beta folks saying that this is the best thing since sliced bread and it's lacking in 2 major areas (HD and audio) + price. Even CNET and Yahoo have said VUDU claims that audio and HD will be there, but no timeframe as to when?! Also being near Christmas (people saving for) and lacking those items = bad news for VUDU. Get it fixed before Thanksgiving and your golden...if not this will fade away.

I am not trying to flame you, but the cookie cutter response is getting old...

And yes if the price is right as M said......

Comment

Originally posted by metallus2000 View Post
                Ok C...did you not read the reviews/posts? Yes it's a decent product, beats most of the other folks in this arena out, but people do not want to pay 400 for the box....said in about 9/10 sites posting. I am not complaining about the product, I think it's great...but your obviously skewed towards VUDU since your one of the beta testers....take it from a perspective of not knowing the product in today's market. High price, no HD, no TV, poor sound quality. Yes it's video is good...yes it's convienent, but to be honest I for one am getting tired of the super users and beta folks saying that this is the best thing since sliced bread and it's lacking in 2 major areas (HD and audio) + price. Even CNET and Yahoo have said VUDU claims that audio and HD will be there, but no timeframe as to when?! Also being near Christmas (people saving for) and lacking those items = bad news for VUDU. Get it fixed before Thanksgiving and your golden...if not this will fade away.

I am not trying to flame you, but the cookie cutter response is getting old...

And yes if the price is right as M said......
                I agree with you. It is unacceptable for current release movies to not be in Dolby 5.1. Every movie in at least the last 5 years has been released in Dolby digital. In my opinion the sound is more important than the picture. The sound envelopes you and brings you into the action, if the movie has great sound I can live with a few video artifacts. I also am getting tired of the line that this is what the studios give us. Every other media outlet gets the movies with Dolby sound. Why not Vudu? The box shouldn't of been released if it was not ready. All the negative press will just hurt it and make it harder to become a success. I think the beta testers and Vudu employees should read the comments on the article and take note.

Visit the 5 Star Cinema

Comment

Originally posted by metallus2000 View Post
                  Also being near Christmas (people saving for) and lacking those items = bad news for VUDU. Get it fixed before Thanksgiving and your golden...if not this will fade away.
                  Making a statement like this implies that you know what the business plan for Vudu is and that it requires a blockbuster holiday season. Neither you nor I would have any way of knowing that. For all we know, they may have as much business as they can handle this year, have plenty of funding, and plan to spend the next year perfecting it. That would make next Christmas much more important than this one.

The points you are making about the improvements are valid and have been made by others. We are all hopeful that they will come to be realized. Personally, I don't see how it is constructive to predict doom and gloom for a business that you really aren't in a position to evaluate in that way. Now if you could point to some other company that would "eat their lunch" if they didn't meet your time frames, that would be something. That, however, doesn't appear to be the case.

Comment

OK, let's think about costs here for a minute as this seems to be the biggest hangup people have.

An iPhone costs $399. So far Apple has sold about 1.3 million of them. It's a phone for Pete's sake. A phone. They sold nearly the first million at $599! So half a million people or more paid $600 for a phone.

And people complain about the Vudu being $400?

Let's look at another device - the Logitech/Slim Devices Squeezebox. The basic unit is $299 - $100 less than a Vudu. What does it do? It plays music - that is it! A music player for a whopping $299. And Logitech has the Transporter model that costs $1999. To do what? PLAY MUSIC! And Logitech is a pretty good company with good marketing.

Let's look at another Logitech product - the Harmony Remote. The Harmony 880 lists for about $249.00. That's $150 less than the Vudu. For what? A REMOTE CONTROL! The Harmony 890 lists for $399 - same cost as the Vudu. What is the device? A REMOTE CONTROL. It makes life CONVENIENT for your entertainment center. Funny how no one claims Logitech is producing junk or doesn't know how to market or sell a product!

Let's look at another product - BlueRay or HD-DVD players. Kinda hard to find one for under $400. Yet people are buying them. A year ago when they came out, BlueRays cost nearly $1000 and HD-DVD's about $600. People still bought them. Yet, they only play certain HD movies. If the movie you want isn't available in the format you own, then you gotta watch the SD version. With Vudu - that won't be a problem. Oh yeah, you can get the new LG or Samsung models that play both for about $950.

Let's see - an iPod sells for about the same price as the Vudu depending on the model. Some 10s or millions or more have been sold. Hmmm...Apple's stock is at an all time high. And these devices play music and video but not the same quality as the Vudu. The original iPods played just music and sold for about $400. The critics who are now impugning Vudu are the same ones who impugned the iPhone are the same ones who impugned the iPod when it first came out. THEY WERE AND ARE DEAD WRONG EVERY TIME!!!

I ask you - do you drive a Yugo and eat only at McDonalds? Or do you drive a nice car (as expensive as you can afford) and generally eat at better restaurants? If price was your only consideration in life, you'd be in the first category. Heck, if price was all people bought on, then Yugo would still be in business and Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Porsche, etc. would all be out of business. Yet, the luxury car market is quite strong. So don't fall for the lie that people buy on price. They don't. People buy on value and if they feel the value of the Vudu is strong enough then they will buy it. If not now, they will wait for the price to drop - which is will as devices like this always do get cheaper over time.

Second, the sound quality people are complaining about - it's NOT the problem of the box or of Vudu. It's what the bass ackward studios are doing by not providing DD5.1 content to all the stuff. You know, I first started noticing this on PPV and on the movie channels on satellite or cable. Not everything was broadcast (and still isn't even on VOD) in 5.1. So it must be a problem that as is usual, the studios have their heads where the sun don't shine which is probably up the back side of their laywers. I'm sure this will change soon enough.

Four or five years from now, all you guys will get to say that you were one of the first people to own one of the biggest game changers in entertainment. You'll brag about how you were willing to fork out the money for the Vudu.

Oh yeah, and as for Vudu getting bought - I hope not. Rather, I hope the license their technology to other companies to integrate the Vudu technology into CATV set top boxes, etc. That would be the way to go.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      Four or five years from now, all you guys will get to say that you were one of the first people to own one of the biggest game changers in entertainment. You'll brag about how you were willing to fork out the money for the Vudu.
                      I agree with you on this. That's why I bought several of these (got the last one up and running today). Someone has to be first and I really believe in this technology. The price was obviously not a factor in my decision to buy. I may even buy a few more as Christmas presents. I really don't understand how people can be so certain about price being an issue given how many people were willing to shell out $600 for the iPhone (I bought several of those as well) when it first came out and how many expensive flat panels are being sold these days.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                        I agree with you on this. That's why I bought several of these (got the last one up and running today). Someone has to be first and I really believe in this technology. The price was obviously not a factor in my decision to buy. I may even buy a few more as Christmas presents. I really don't understand how people can be so certain about price being an issue given how many people were willing to shell out $600 for the iPhone (I bought several of those as well) when it first came out and how many expensive flat panels are being sold these days.
                        Bingo. People buy for the coolness factor, the "gadget" factor and value not price. Now, does Vudu have enough of this to make it for the average person? I don't know. Personally, I think the price will eventually need to come down for mass market appeal. But right now, Vudu is a small company and w/o the proper supply chain in place, it would be a disaster to sell the units at a price point where demand will outstrip an inelastic supply...

Comment

Interesting article about how TiVo/Amazon Unbox may already be feeling the heat from Vudu ...

http://newteevee.com/2007/10/24/tivo...rthy-upgrades/

Comment

Oh boy...With Room to Room sharing, it's now becoming a serious competitor to my installed ReplayTV base...That Tivo HD is quite nice...I suppose at sometime, I'm going to have to let my SD Replays get retired!

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post

Jon
                              Brag about over-paying for a device that has crappy audio and no HD?
                              Doubtful.

Customers complain about the price and instead of listening to the complaints, you tell the customers they're wrong.

Not the best approach in my book.

Comment

Working...
                              X