Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU on Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VUDU on Yahoo

TiVo is practically life-altering when it comes to watching TV, time-shifting, no commercials ... priceless ...

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
      Until we see something concrete from Netflix about their box/service everything is speculation. Just saying it is better and not in what way doesn't give us much to go on.
      You must forgot the fact I know those two Netflix guys personally.

The second part of my post has nothing to do with Netflix, I was just simply compare vudu and many other known gadgets. I will let readers to be their own Judges

Comment

Originally posted by timchen View Post
        You must forgot the fact I know those two Netflix guys personally.

The second part of my post has nothing to do with Netflix, I was just simply compare vudu and many other known gadgets. I will let readers to be their own Judges
        I didn't forget. You would clearly not be at liberty to say what it is, so from our perspective, it isn't something that we can intelligently discuss. Also, in any company I have worked for, there is a lot that I didn't know. Clearly my friends would know even less about what my company does than I do, regardless of how much I tell them. And the nature of these forums isn't such that we should "take your word for it". You also have to keep in mind that Vudu won't just sit still so, depending on timing, they could come out with something that is "better" than what Vudu has today, but not as good as what Vudu has at that time.

For the second part, since you opened the post with saying that Netflix is going to have something "better", it only stands to reason that the other comparisons should be thought of with that in mind. That is simply what I did. If you are saying that Netflix won't be better in those areas, then exactly what areas would it be better in?

Comment

If you really care about Netflix, I advise you not to pay too much attention on small technical details. Focus on bigger picture.

Wifi
          More, a lot more titles
          Lower basic box price (like close to $100)
          Better rental deal

Comment

If you really care about Netflix, I advise you not to pay too much attention on small technical details. Focus on bigger picture.

Wifi
            More, a lot more titles
            Lower box price (like close to $100)
            Better rental deal
            I honestly doubt you can substantiate the "lot more titles" benefit. It has nothing to do with how many DVDs Netflix can currently distribute. They will need to work it out with the stuidos as well, who will be equally leary of piracy issues with them as they are with Vudu. The better rental deal assumes that Vudu can't compete on price in that area. I suspect they can, and will, if need be. The same with the box price thing. You have no way of knowing what Vudu can charge for the box. Of course competition usually brings the price down on anything like this and I would expect it to here. The wifi thing is easily addressed by Vudu as well, either by having it in their next version of hardware or packaging a wifi dongle with their box.

So on your "hot list" of issues, Vudu can respond to each and every one. There is no way that you can claim that Netflix will win all of those battles and come out as the clear winner while Vudu will helplessly sit back and let that happen. It almost sounds like you are penalizing them for coming out first. Anytime a company comes out with the first version of the product, there are some missing features. However, coming out first usually means that you are in the lead and probably in a good position to address those things.

I would also argue that your list of priorities is not the same as mine, and perhaps others. Like I said, I would much rather pay for a Tivo than get a free Comcast, Dish Network or DirecTV DVR, even though they do the "same thing". So price can't be everything. The overall quality of the product and the user experience with it mean a lot more than you are giving them credit for here. Those are not the small things. They are the big ones in my book.

Comment

Thiese are all captial at play. For same box to build, 10,000 units probably will cost $200 each, 1M will likely drop to $120 ea. Same scheme applys to licence and rental deal. If Netflix does come out such a solution, the best way out for Vudu is to find someone with deep pocket yet doesn't have that technology to back (such as Blockbuster)
              Last edited by Nded; 10-28-2007, 04:22 AM. Reason: personal comment/insult removed

Comment

You are correct. They are all in play. In fact, I said the same thing. There are several things we do not know, however. They are:

1. When would Netflix ship such a box? If they were to do it today, it would have a dramatically different impact than if they did so in a year.

2. How will the Netflix box feature set compare with Vudu's as far as consumers are concerned. You listed 4 things which were the "big" issues. 3 of them were quite small for me and the 4th (library size) was in no way an advantage for Netflix (See their website. They claim over 5,000 titles in their on-demand service, not the 85,000 available in their DVD delivery service).

2. How deep are Vudu's pockets themselves? They could possibly have ample funding and view Netflix entering the market as an encouraging sign that they are on the right track. If they have a sufficient head start and enough money, they could still come out on top.

Honestly, I don't know if getting bought will ever be Vudu's best option or not and I really don't think you do either. That's my biggest disagreement with you. You speak as though you know exactly how the chips in many unknowns will fall. You also show a lot of bias in that assessment. That's what I think is premature.

Comment

Re: I am back

Vudu vs DVD: par video quality, sub-par audio quality(feature).
                  Why must you insist that the sub-par audio is a feature? One geek on Yahoo claimed this and now this is the number one fault of the Vudu. Yes, not enough movies are in 5.1 but again, that is NOT the fault of the Vudu but the studios who don't release source content in 5.1...IT IS NOT A FEATURE!!!!

Comment

Plus, Netflix would face the same issues with audio as Vudu.

Comment

Plus, Netflix would face the same issues with audio as Vudu.
                      I think Netflix's size, clout and proven history may give them an advantage when it comes to success. Not from a technological standpoint, but because of selection. Studios might give Netflix more leeway if they can demonstrate a secure technology, as opposed to trusting a small startup .... and for some of us, selection and availabity are the most important considerations - providing the experience can come close to Vudu's ... just speculation at this point obviously. It will be interesting to see what Netflix comes up with, and how Vudu can respond ....

Comment

Originally posted by mbustin View Post
                        I think Netflix's size, clout and proven history may give them an advantage when it comes to success. Not from a technological standpoint, but because of selection. Studios might give Netflix more leeway if they can demonstrate a secure technology, as opposed to trusting a small startup ....
                        I think studios only care about the security of the technology. I really don't think that they will care who comes up with it. They won't take any company's word for it. They will do their own determiniation using technology experts.

So if Netflix comes up with a more secure technolgy, I agree they would have an edge. However, Netflix isn't really a technology company so I see no reason why they should get the benefit of the doubt at this point. Remeber, Netflix, this company that you suggest would be more trusted, isn't any more trusted than Vudu today with what studios are allowing them to electronically distribute. They both have 5,000 movies or so that they are allowed to distribute. If Netflix was going to be more trusted, I would honestly expect to see evidence of that today in their electronic distribution licensing.

Comment

So if Netflix comes up with a more secure technolgy, I agree they would have an edge. However, Netflix isn't really a technology company so I see no reason why they should get the benefit of the doubt at this point. Remeber, Netflix, this company that you suggest would be more trusted, isn't any more trusted than Vudu today with what studios are allowing them to electronically distribute. They both have 5,000 movies or so that they are allowed to distribute. If Netflix was going to be more trusted, I would honestly expect to see evidence of that today in their electronic distribution licensing.
                          First, Netflix is a technology company. It was web tech only and now they are developing a box (if that makes you more comfortable).

And I don't think mbustin meant Netflix has a more secure technology than Vudu does. I think they offer about the same level of security, at least on paper. (how many encrypt bits?) Studios will consider who is more likely to leak the key? (there are more than one cases when company went bankrupt, their security key went out of control) And if the key does leak, who can they seek more damage back from?

Again, we must often think outside of the technology box.

Comment

I want to make some comments here...

First of all, the news that Netflix was going to come out with a Video on Demand box is really not news. It was announced months ago that Anthony Wood was leaving Roku to join Netflix specifically to make an internet appliance for downloading content. Those of us who've been in the beta test community discussed this long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Now, I will say that I have been somewhat of an Anthony Wood Fan. I own 6 Replay TV's (4 are active), 2 Roku Soundbridges and 2 Roku Photobridges. But Mr. Wood has some weaknesses. He seems to get bored with products after a while and either doesn't completely finishes them or lets them die an untimely death. Case in point in particular is the Roku Photobridge. Roku just suddenly stopped all development on the product after months and months of saying that things were "temporarily on hold." Then there's the ReplayTV that still has bugs in it (ie: double select bug when using web based remote control and the infamous DHCP bug). Now ReplayTV's problems were not entirely Mr. Wood's fault, but I think by the time they started having the major problems, he may have split the scene.

I was disappointed Anthony left Roku. He's still the majority owner and is still involved in some level of the company, but it's still somewhat disturbing that a great technologist leaves a company he started to go work for someone else.

I think under his direction Netflix will produce a very good product and competition is good for everyone. However, Anthony Wood is not infallible and has weaknesses like anyone else...

Comment

I think this is really not about anthony wood at all. I think Netflix is a tad bigger than one person.

Comment

Originally posted by bqmeister View Post
                                I think this is really not about anthony wood at all. I think Netflix is a tad bigger than one person.
                                I'd agree, but timchen was the one who brought up Anthony Wood...

Comment

Working...
                                X