Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

I love vudu, but...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love vudu, but...........

I have been using vudu for about 1 month now in our newly completed home theater.

I am impressed with the image quality even with the non HD stuff.

There is nothing quite like being able to scroll through & choose movies without ever leaving your chair.

So, I would consider myself a Vudu fan. However, I have 3 issues ( 2 small, 1 may eventually be a "deal breaker").
    • There often seems to be a lag between the sound & the video which can get irritating. Could be my equipment but I have pretty good stuff & it usually improves when I stop the movie & restart it.
    • We have DSL ultra (or extreme???, can't remember which) which is supposed to allow for speeds up to 6 mbps. It still takes about 1 hr to get an HD movie ready to watch. Not Vudu's fault & hopefully I can work with my internet provider to improve this.
    • My wife & I are becoming quite frustrated that so many movies are only available for purchase. My kids talked me into spending $19.99 so we could watch Mulan recently, but there are just not many movies I want to own. I love to watch a variety of movies & most I would never watch again; but I would gladly take the risk & pay $ 2 - $5 if I can rent it. I envisioned Vudu as an ultra-convenient Blockbuster or Netflix type of expereince. I realize there are many issues involved regarding licenses, etc, but practically speaking, Vudu will not be able to survive long-term IMHO if they cannot offer a true download rental service. Maybe Blockbuster should forget about buying Circuit City & merge with Vudu. Now that would be the next Tivo/DVR type of improvement in home entertainment!
    • One more thing that my wifewants me to mention: We had placed several movies in our wish list only to find those movies are no longer available. Wha gives??
    Sorry for the long post. But, in short, I love Vudu but some things need to change!

Re: I love vudu, but...........

Welcome to Vudu. I'll try to answer your questions:

Originally posted by mmavant View Post
    There often seems to be a lag between the sound & the video which can get irritating. Could be my equipment but I have pretty good stuff & it usually improves when I stop the movie & restart it.
    Hmm...I've never seen this. You may want to contact customer service about it. This should not happen.

[*]We have DSL ultra (or extreme???, can't remember which) which is supposed to allow for speeds up to 6 mbps. It still takes about 1 hr to get an HD movie ready to watch. Not Vudu's fault & hopefully I can work with my internet provider to improve this.
    Just because your provider says you can get 6 Mbps does not mean that is what you are getting with DSL. DSL is distance based and as such, the farther you are from the CO, the slower your speed. You are probably only getting 2 or 3 MB/sec.

[*] My wife & I are becoming quite frustrated that so many movies are only available for purchase. My kids talked me into spending $19.99 so we could watch Mulan recently, but there are just not many movies I want to own. I love to watch a variety of movies & most I would never watch again; but I would gladly take the risk & pay $ 2 - $5 if I can rent it. I envisioned Vudu as an ultra-convenient Blockbuster or Netflix type of expereince. I realize there are many issues involved regarding licenses, etc, but practically speaking, Vudu will not be able to survive long-term IMHO if they cannot offer a true download rental service. Maybe Blockbuster should forget about buying Circuit City & merge with Vudu. Now that would be the next Tivo/DVR type of improvement in home entertainment!
    Even if Blockbuster purchased Vudu, it would not change the reality and make everything available for rental. See my sticky about the licensing and there's been some other very good posts lately about this topic as well by another user. It's the way the digital licenses are. There's nothing that can be done about it except for Hollywood to change and they are doing that at a snails pace.

[*]One more thing that my wifewants me to mention: We had placed several movies in our wish list only to find those movies are no longer available. Wha gives??[/list]Sorry for the long post. But, in short, I love Vudu but some things need to change!
    Well, movies can come and go from the catalog. For example, if a premium channel on cable has rights to the movie then it goes away from Vudu for a time and will eventually cycle back.

Your complaints on the licensing and availability are the same as the rest of us. However, with any online or VOD service you'll hit the same limitations.
    Last edited by Nded; 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM.

Comment

The sync problem is not something that should happen. As Jon mentioned, give Vudu a call. If the box is hooked up directly to the TV, I can't think of an explanation. If it's hooked up to a receiver, processor, etc. that could introduce delay and is usually solved by tweaking settings on the component (receiver, etc.).

As for the speed, I assume that the box places you in Instant SD tier, right? If so, try re-running the network test while nothing else is happening on your network to see if you could get Instant HD. I don't know if this happens with current version, but when I was doing heavy downloads or had network problems Vudu would downgrade itself because it's trying to be safe, i.e. it doesn't want to tell you that you can watch a movie instantly only to interrupt playback to buffer.

Or, it could be what Jon said and you aren't getting full 6 Mbps from your connection (which is probably < 5.5 anyway due to overhead). A good DSL provider should've warned you if that could happen though.

Added: yeah, movies coming and going is an annoying fact of life (Bourne Ultimatum and Transformers are gone for now which is quite sad since they were good HD titles). But we did ask Vudu to add something to at least notify us when a wish-listed movie was going to disappear (or add Going Soon - like Coming Soon in reverse).

Comment

A number of new movies in the Vudu catalog will first be available for purchase only, but then after a bit of time will also be available for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by klieb View Post
          A number of new movies in the Vudu catalog will first be available for purchase only, but then after a bit of time will also be available for rent.
          Most of the time, I think this is due to a normal-but-unfortunate 30-day waiting period between purchase and rental that most studios have in place

Comment

Get rid of the wife... problem solved!

(just kidding... I'm married too)

Comment

Working...
            X