Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Considering Vudu - part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Vudu - part 2

Hi everyone...
    I posted some questions back in April here: http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2672
    Old thread so I thought I would post a part 2.

Some things have changed for me since then as I'm in the process of upgrading my broadband from EVDO to 4mb DSL. So I am back in the download set-top box game and I'm considering Vudu and ATV. Roku is out due to no HD although I understand it will be available in the future.
    I'm more of a movie guy than music and photos so Vudu looks very appealing. However I'm concerned that in the last few months, ATV has had a rapid increase in title selection while it seems Vudu hasn't.
    Also, I can't seem to find a definitive list of Vudu HD movies for rent. The list of movies on the Vudu site doesn't have an HD section. I wonder why.
    I do like that Vudu has added a wireless option but now I see it is going to cost me an additional $50 for the bundle. Are users finding it worth it and will performance be affected? While I'm signing up for 4 mb service, I can probably expect speeds around 3.6 so I want to make sure that the wireless device won't slow things down even more.

Any comments?

Re: Considering Vudu - part 2

Southpaw- I had similar questions and started a thread called "Trying to Decide" and got some useful feedback (sorry not sure how to copy/paste the link but it was recent). I eventually went with the ATV b/c of the number and rate of HD titles and built in wireless.

I do have a pretty fast internet connection (15+mbps) and I've had no problems. My understanding is that Vudu may work better for you as movies are streamed to you differently than on ATV, with Vudu using a P2P system and ATV dowloading from a centralized server. If you look at ATV's tech specs page it says that at 2mbps it will take about 2 hours to begin watching an HD movie. That could be significant depending on your habits.

I too wish there was a definitive list of HD movies available on Vudu. Certainly would make marketing it better. ATV has 490 HD titles as of last night.

Comment

I don't know what you mean by "Slow Things Down Even More". But the wireless option doesn't share your wireless connectivity. It's a two piece system. One piece plugs into a free ethernet port on your router, the other end plugs into the VUDU. This sets up a dedicated wireless connection optimized for the VUDU.

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
      I do like that Vudu has added a wireless option but now I see it is going to cost me an additional $50 for the bundle. Are users finding it worth it and will performance be affected? While I'm signing up for 4 mb service, I can probably expect speeds around 3.6 so I want to make sure that the wireless device won't slow things down even more.

Any comments?

Comment

Ron...
        I meant "slow things down" from the approx 3.6 mb speed I will get from DSL. From my experience, when I go from something wired to something wireless, I lose a little bit. But if you are saying that this particular device will exhibit the same speed as if I had it wired, then I believe you.

Now, how about that definitive list of HD movies. Does one exist????

Comment

Sorry ... I don't know of any list of the HD titles on Vudu.

I do know that today my Vudu shows 190 HD titles compared to the 490 reported to be on Apple TV.

In some other threads some people have suggested that the playing field was level and that all download services had access to same movies. While this may be possible and a lack of resources is keeping companies like Vudu from converting and offering as many movies as Apple I suspect the real reason is that the playing field is not anything close to level and that Apple has more because of the importance and size of it's ITunes site. If the playing field was truly level I would think that the XBox Live site would have all the movies the Apple site has while in fact they list 197 HD titles, only 7 more than Vudu. It can't be due to a lack of resources.

Tim

Comment

For what it is worth here is my two cents based on my experience using various services over a 20mbps connection.

1. Vudu: PQ - good to excellent
            AQ - good to excellent
            Ease of use - excellent
            presentation - excellent
            DL experience - smooth, no hiccups, hang ups, pauses etc. Watch now means watch now without problems.

2. AppleTV: PQ - fair to great
            AQ - fair to good
            ease of use - excellent
            presentaion - great
            DL experience - problematic I have had movies take several hours to be able to watch, I have had them hang up and I had to restart the box because after many hours it had gone to only 4%, and the other night we had some friends over and the wanted to watch a movie and it paused twice. (their kids were in the other room watching movies on Vudu that I rented for them and theyt got through two 1.5 hour movies before we finished our movie.)

3. Netflix PQ - Fair to good
            AQ - poor to fair
            ease of use - fair
            presentaion - fair
            DL experience - the one bright spot is Netflix download experience, much like Vudu I have yet to experience problems.

4. Xbox - PQ - good to great
            AQ - good to great
            Ease of use - great
            presentation - great
            DL experience - No major complaints did have a hiccup once but other than that no problems.

5. Amazon Unbox on TivoHD - PQ - poor
            AQ - fair
            Ease of use - fair
            presentation - poor
            DL experience - I just wait for the movie to DL. While tivo allows you to watch after a short time of DLing I have had problems with catching up and having to buffer.

6. PSN - Have not tried yet, but hope to try this weekend.

7. Vongo on Xbox as a media extender. - PQ- fair
            AQ - good
            ease of use - good
            Presentation - good
            DL experience - never had a problem.

Most of what I have judged is subjective but I feel for the money the order i would place them is.

1. Vudu
            2. Xbox
            3. Netflix/Apple
            4.Vongo
            5. Amazon

Again I have not tested the PSN so maybe someone else could add to this.

As for selection, that varies from provider to provider and is a matter of taste.

Comment

Thats a really good summary. Thanks for the post.

Comment

PSN is up there with the Xbox, and is actually easier to use right now than Xbox Live. But once the new interface comes out for XBL it should remedy things.
                I hit a 40mbs to 50mbs download rate on PSN and XBL. So titles are ready to watch in 15 to 20 seconds.
                VUDU us my first choice followed by XBL, then PSN, and then FIOS VOD. This is for HD content.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                  PSN is up there with the Xbox, and is actually easier to use right now than Xbox Live. But once the new interface comes out for XBL it should remedy things.
                  I hit a 40mbs to 50mbs download rate on PSN and XBL. So titles are ready to watch in 15 to 20 seconds.
                  VUDU us my first choice followed by XBL, then PSN, and then FIOS VOD. This is for HD content.
                  Cool, Thanks for the PSN review. I will have to give them a try this weekend. Their selection is paltry right now but I am sure I can find something to watch.

Comment

Southpaw,

Vudu will be good for you if you want mainly movies. The number of new titles added is growing steadily. Yes, Vudu doesn't have the number of HD titles that ATV has (yet) but they are way ahead in SD titles. For a 4 MB/sec DSL connection, you'll not get instant HD but close to that with Vudu. You won't have to wait too long.

The Vudu user experience and ability to do "trick play (ie: ff, rw, etc) in movies is far better than ATV...

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                      Southpaw,
                      For a 4 MB/sec DSL connection, you'll not get instant HD but close to that with Vudu.
                      I would say give it a try. If the ISP is solid @4Mbps, it (InstantHD) could work beautifully.
                      I'm not sure there is much risk involved in trying since you can always return it within 30 days if it doesn't work out the way you want.

-- Greg

Comment

Greg - why isn't there a master list of HD titles published by Vudu? You already have the master list of catalog titles on the vudu site - wouldn't be hard to add one extra category called "HD".
                        I want to try it but I really want all the facts before I decide. I can go to appletvjunkie and master lists of SD and HD titles are updated daily.

Comment

I agree it's odd there is not such a list. It was a huge psychological hurdle for me. My only guess is that Vudu doesn't want to highlight an area that is not one of its strongest.

On the other hand the Appletvjunkie site is not in any way affiliated with apple itself. It's just some people who are into their ATV's. Nice for us users but if it weren't there ATV users would conceivable be in the same boat.

Comment

All I can tell you guys is that I am pretty syre the Vudu movie list page is still undergoing some web design changes. I would expect that this section will be updated at some point. I don't know when that is scheduled to be completed though.

Schultzie may be gone but just remember this: When it comes down to it, "I know nothing. I know nothing..."

Comment

So we need a "Vudujunkie" website for all the Vudu users. NA9D - care to start that?

Comment

Working...
                              X