Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Terrible Quality Control and Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Quality Control and Support

So yet another purchases turns out to not encoded in 5.1 (Optical -> 5.1, Vudu -> Two channel stereo).

Here's the response I go from the email support team.

"Unfortunately the movie you are inquiring about is only available on our service in Dolby Digital Stereo, in all definitions. That is strictly due to the licensing rights for the movie and what the Movie Studio provided to us."

'Licensing Rights'? They think studios are holding the rights back for the surround mix? This sounds unlikely.

'what the Movie Studio provided to us' - That sounds more like it. The studios gave you a master with a gimped soundtrack and you just happily pass this crap on to your customers.

Here's something you can try next time it happens.

Studio: "Hi Vudu, here's a master for a big Hollywood production that does have a full surround mix, but just to make sure every knows Vudu is at the bottom of the food chain, this version is in stereo."

Vudu: "Actually, we've decided we would like to taken be seriously as a HD movie delivery service. Please give us a copy with 5.1 to encode."

Too much to ask?

Re: Terrible Quality Control and Support

Customers sure do make Vudu's business operations sound so easy!

I think it might be possible that you don't have the entire picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Erased View Post
      So yet another purchases turns out to not encoded in 5.1 (Optical -> 5.1, Vudu -> Two channel stereo).

Here's the response I go from the email support team.

"Unfortunately the movie you are inquiring about is only available on our service in Dolby Digital Stereo, in all definitions. That is strictly due to the licensing rights for the movie and what the Movie Studio provided to us."

'Licensing Rights'? They think studios are holding the rights back for the surround mix? This sounds unlikely.

'what the Movie Studio provided to us' - That sounds more like it. The studios gave you a master with a gimped soundtrack and you just happily pass this crap on to your customers.

Studio: "Hi Vudu, here's a master for a big Hollywood production that does have a full surround mix, but just to make sure every knows Vudu is at the bottom of the food chain, this version is in stereo."

Vudu: "Actually, we've decided we would like to taken be seriously as a HD movie delivery service. Please give us a copy with 5.1 to encode."

Too much to ask?

Which movie are you referring too? I'd be happy to pass it on to our content team to see if it's possible to obtain a version with updated audio quality.

Comment

Originally posted by dhatman View Post
        Which movie are you referring too? I'd be happy to pass it on to our content team to see if it's possible to obtain a version with updated audio quality.
        Night Watch (Russia, 2006) was the title I emailed support about. The reply was somewhat defeatist, so I just asked for a refund.

I have to say I've been seeing this exact issue a lot lately. The impression I'm starting to get is that there is very little pride in the integrity and the quality of the product your company delivers.

Comment

Night Watch (Russia, 2006) was the title I emailed support about. The reply was somewhat defeatist, so I just asked for a refund.

I have to say I've been seeing this exact issue a lot lately. The impression I'm starting to get is that there is very little pride in the integrity and the quality of the product your company delivers.
          ok

Comment

Not to add to the pain, but since Dan is paying attention here...

Watched RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE D2D HDX version I got and the sound mix is also only 2-channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SynapseDon View Post
              Not to add to the pain, but since Dan is paying attention here...

Watched RESIDENT EVIL: APOCALYPSE D2D HDX version I got and the sound mix is also only 2-channel.
              I just passed that on to the team. I see we have it available in 5.1 for HD, but only stereo for HDX. I'll let you know what i hear back from them.

Comment

Originally posted by dhatman View Post
                I just passed that on to the team. I see we have it available in 5.1 for HD, but only stereo for HDX. I'll let you know what i hear back from them.
                Our content team has already been in contact with the studio on this issue. We hope to have the movie available in 5.1 very soon.

Comment

Thx Dan! Glad I could help remedy this issue.

Comment

I have to chime in here and blow the whistle

Dan, i have sent multiple movies to the support team and received the same blanket statement. That that is the encoding vudu has and i can find that info out on the "more info" button for each movie.

I am sure i'm not the only one who thinks some obvious blockbuster movies should have 5.1 and to say that this random movie as opposed to something like Matrix, LOTR or 300 is coming soon seems a bit dishonest or misleading. Dan no disrespect you are very helpful with a lot of things but the content team doesnt appear to be. I had one movie (15 Minutes) that didnt even include the whole movie.

Comment

Originally posted by sarasdad View Post
                      Please go away!You are acting like a spoiled brat.
                      Perhaps you miss understand my relationship to Vudu. You see I pay for these movies, sometimes I even pay more than current amazon prize for the HD disc (you know with director's commentary, subtitles, and physical delivery), although I'm beginning to question why.

You pay for a product or service and you expect it to be delivered. It's called capitalism. Welcome to western civilization, son.

Comment

Too much to ask?
                        Well, I want to agree....but then people would be mad that the selection was so limited. I think the approach of "put everything we can out there in the catalog" is a good one, but you're right that they should also be trying to improve their current offerings by reencoding, which I know they do sometimes. But there's really no excuse for offering HD in DD and HDX in 2-channel, especially because they offer the sound quality in the "More Info" section, so obviously someone goes in and notes that information before it is added to the catalog. Maybe that should be part of their QC when adding titles.

Comment

Wouldn't it also make sense for a person to check the specs to see if it's offered in 5.1 before buying it or renting it? The info is there. Now it's one thing if it says it's in 5.1 and it's really in stereo. But if it shows it's in stereo, then the person who bought it has no one to blame but themselves if they are expecting it to be in 5.1 when it's clearly listed as being in stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            Wouldn't it also make sense for a person to check the specs to see if it's offered in 5.1 before buying it or renting it? The info is there. Now it's one thing if it says it's in 5.1 and it's really in stereo. But if it shows it's in stereo, then the person who bought it has no one to blame but themselves if they are expecting it to be in 5.1 when it's clearly listed as being in stereo.
                            Thats what happened to me as i didnt even know that stereo was an option since Dolby Plus is touted throughout the site. So during my first D2D session is when i realized it during playback of 300. Then i sent in my complaint and was told of the "more info" button. Since then i have been looking at that before doing anymore D2D.

So i think that it should be made known that not all movies are in 5.1 because no one goes through and clicks the more info button. They see the movie and press "rent/own" and see HDX and expect nothing but the best.

Comment

Not only that but, if you are doing D2D and you click on the "Convert DVDs" link on the Vudu site to add your titles to the list to print out, it DOESN'T tell you the specs of the titles... it just tells you whether they have SD, HD or both to purchase. You'd just assume that an HDX version would be equal in quality, especially since the whole idea for HDX is to replicate a high-def experience of your current Blus in the cloud.

And, sometimes, the "More Info" button is useless in telling you anything about the stream. I just converted ALIENS with D2D over the past week. Clicking the "More Info" tab on ALIENS says absolutely NOTHING about the quality of the stream/audio.

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post
                              Thats what happened to me as i didnt even know that stereo was an option since Dolby Plus is touted throughout the site. So during my first D2D session is when i realized it during playback of 300. Then i sent in my complaint and was told of the "more info" button. Since then i have been looking at that before doing anymore D2D.

So i think that it should be made known that not all movies are in 5.1 because no one goes through and clicks the more info button. They see the movie and press "rent/own" and see HDX and expect nothing but the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X