Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

happy to be a member, many questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: happy to be a member, many questions...

From "Why you don't need an extended warranty", Consumer Reports, 11/07:

This holiday season, shoppers are expected to spend over a billion dollars on extended warranties for laptops, flat-screen TVs, other electronics, and appliances.

And almost all of it will be money down the drain.

Retailers are pushing hard to get you to buy extended warranties, or service plans, because they're cash cows. Stores keep 50 percent or more of what they charge for warranties. That's much more than they can make selling actual products.
    I recommend everyone read the whole article if you haven't before, it has a lot of useful information and no hyperbole or vague allegations. They do even explain which items might be best suited for extended warranties, where consumers might average close to breaking even in the long run, but most of the time buying an extended warranty is like betting against the house in Vegas.

Comment

If lightning takes out my set, it takes it out. That's the one advantage to a BB warranty. I'll give you that.

And you have no idea or understanding of my cost structure. I own a Denon AVR-2808CI and was talked out of a the 3808 simply because a friend of mine who has sold Denon equipment felt that was the best for me. I spend my money where it makes a difference technically.

The TV's nice. 1080p sets were just coming out 2 years ago when I bought it and at that time they were still about double the price of 1080i sets. So yeah. The DVR is OK. It has some nice features and some not so nice. The not so nice is that if a recording starts, the TV switches to that input even if you are watching something else. You can then manually switch back but that's a pain. Secondly, if you use a cable card with the set, adjusting the guide data is a real PITA. Stuff is not sorted by channel number and due to the way Comcast handles their cable card systems, the guide data gets reset every couple months. It literally takes about 2 hours to straighten it out. It isn't the TV as I've checked that and since pulled my cable card and the guide data is rock solid.

I don't use that DVR much any more though. Last May I purchased a TivoHD and now that's my primary DVR. I still from a UI standpoint find my 4 ReplayTVs to be hard to be in both usability and feature set. Too bad they aren't HD capable... :-(

I also own a Roku Photobridge, an Apple TV and about 5 Slingboxes.

I did fall for marketing and bought some Bose speakers but not the powered ones. They aren't bad and fit my particular set-up well enough. I loved my DMC tower speakers better but we didn't have room for them when I bought the new TV...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
        From "Why you don't need an extended warranty", Consumer Reports, 11/07:

I recommend everyone read the whole article if you haven't before, it has a lot of useful information and no hyperbole or vague allegations. They do even explain which items might be best suited for extended warranties, where consumers might average close to breaking even in the long run, but most of the time buying an extended warranty is like betting against the house in Vegas.
        That's why they sell them. They are almost 100% pure profit. From a marketing standpoint, it's a great thing. But yeah, the consumer doesn't really win - they never do...

Comment

obviously it has margin in it just like any thing that any company sells, what is your job how do you make a living ? how would you get a check if your company didnt make money? Have you seen how much commission real estate agents make? Does consumer reports have an answer to what you do if you have issues after your warranty??? will they replace your tv for you? It is easy for them to say it is not worth it and it makes them very popular for making people feel they are saving money not buying it. The few extra dollars it adds to the price on a monthly basis is far worth the peace of mind it gives you. BB even offers you a loaner tv now!! The people who have to take advantge of it and upgrade to a new better model are very happy they got it. The people who just look at cost and do not get it are ****ED OFF that they didnt. what can BB do but say They are sorry.

Comment

LOL, 100% not even close they carry no more margin than any other accessory or tv stand or cell phone accessory. Like said before not every thing you read is fact. The magazines sell advertising as well, at a huge margin im sure!!!

Comment

I see the censors took out your swear word!

I'm in technical sales. You know those cell phones you sell? Yeah, I sell the parts that go inside them and the parts that are inside all the cell towers you talk to. If you go and get an MRI, chances are it's got my parts inside. If you've ever used a Nextel phone or OnStar, you've definitely used my parts. And while I try to make as much money on selling as possible, I also don't try to oversell to my customers but instead, I try to give them as much value as possible. That way it builds trust and loyalty and repeat business.

I have no problem with extended warranties. You can sell them and monster cables for as much as you want. That's our free market system. But I also have the right to point out that they are simply not always worth the cost. An extended warranty is a crap shoot. I bought one at BB for a portable stereo I bought my GF (now wife). It went bad but they ended up giving us a new portable stereo that was a different model that was a piece of junk. I bought an extended warranty on a drier from BB and the guy who came to service it didn't know what he was doing. He ordered parts and they showed up at my door but BB never checked back and the job was never completed. I did buy an extended Warranty on my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I made money on when my transmission needed to be rebuilt. Then I bought an extended Warranty on my Mercedes ML430 and fell about $1500 short of break even on that one. I did buy an extended warranty on my Honda Odyssey though - only because the cost of the built in DVD/NAV system was about the cost of the warranty and because it was a longer than normal plan. We'll see how I make out.

On average, the consumer will not come out ahead on an extended warranty. It is simply statistics. If the odds were you would, then they wouldn't be offered because money would not be made on them.

As long as you understand that fact when you buy one, that's fine...

Comment

How about the margin on used video games and movies at game stop???? 400-800% or more why are we not hating on them???

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaddd View Post
                  How about the margin on used video games and movies at game stop???? 400-800% or more why are we not hating on them???
                  Wow. You take the fact that I said an item was high margin to be that I'm hating on you?

Give me a break. I'm simply stating actual facts. I don't care what you sell. If someone can get 800% markup on something - TERRIFIC! Fantastic. I don't care what the markup is if it's a good value.

Wow. Take a chill pill, Bob and calm down. Have a beer or latte or something like that...

Now, I've got a life to go live and I think this discussion is pointless.

Welcome to Vudu. I hope you sell a lot of them and I hope you enjoy yours!

Comment

LOL, I thought about it before i typed it and thought that would be acceptable I guess not. That is fair, yes they would not be equitable if everyone had to use it. That is why they are a peace of mind that you should figure out how much money you are spending extra for that monthly.

Comment

I just have an opinion for everything and I try to be open minded to every view not just the popular one. I do have a very busy life i just happen to have tues, weds off so you may see a lot of me here on those days. You also can be a good person and a good salesman I dont care what anyone says. The beer and coffee both sound good actually (no latte)

Comment

LOL, 100% not even close they carry no more margin than any other accessory or tv stand or cell phone accessory. Like said before not every thing you read is fact. The magazines sell advertising as well, at a huge margin im sure!!!
                        Well, Consumer Reports has been advertising-free since the first issue in 1936, in order to preserve their objectivity and to avoid conflicts of interest when reviewing consumer goods. They are almost wholly supported by subscription fees. I do read other magazines, taking into account their individual reputation for objectivity (or lack of it). Sometimes even very biased reviews can still tell me a lot about a product, but in general I find Consumer Reports much more trustworthy and objective than any other publication.

Why would I care what they charge? I have never been in there. If they can get people to overpay, good for them, and it serves their customers right for not checking comparable sales. For something used, I'd use Freecycle or Craig's List or eBay, because on the last two, you can see what similar objects sold for, and compare easily.

obviously it has margin in it just like any thing that any company sells, what is your job how do you make a living ? how would you get a check if your company didnt make money? Have you seen how much commission real estate agents make?
                        Jon addressed this well, but if you were asking me, I'm a contractor for a Federal agency. In our business, you have to write a huge proposal every 1-5 years just to keep your job, and often ANY company can submit a proposal, which includes a budget breakdown with each staff member's loaded cost (salary plus overhead costs), so you have to be competitive and offer not only value, but service, or you're out of there.

And real estate agents make 6% commission, but will often reduce it to 3% if you ask, and many times have to reduce it if the buyer has their own independent agent. Considering how many houses our agent drove us to see, and how she fought to get the seller to do what they were supposed to do, I didn't think she was overpaid, but I've also seen some horrible agents, but they wouldn't get a dime from me.

I just have an opinion for everything and I try to be open minded to every view not just the popular one. I do have a very busy life i just happen to have tues, weds off so you may see a lot of me here on those days. You also can be a good person and a good salesman I dont care what anyone says.
                        Good to hear, I was beginning to worry that you would feel picked on because of the vigorous discussion, and yes, I've known plenty of salespeople who are great people.

Would you prefer scotch to beer? I've got about half a dozen different single malts right now, and I'll pour you a dram of your choice if you're ever in the area (Maryland-DC) as a show of good intentions.

Comment

Now that was good! No scotch though never really been in to that, beer will do. This would have been a lot better conversation though over a few of those. You are a good man and I certainly welcome your opinion as well, I had an Ebay business for many years that is why I know the huge markup that Game Stop has.

The comment about the margin at game stop is based off of what they give the customer when you trade in a movie or game and then what they turn around and price it at 5 minutes later.

Comment

Glad you're enjoying the discussion. When people complain about being picked on, Ed and I have to put on our Punch and Judy act, and he sometimes resents that I always call Punch.

Comment

Working...
                            X