Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

HDX Movies?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDX Movies?!

Is there anything in the movie description that tells us a movie is HDX. if not will there be any kind of marking to distinguish it? im eager to test it out and i herd it launch to the public today. Thanks in advance.

HDX Movies?!

Is there gonna be anything to distinguish the HDX movies from regular HD ones? Im eager to check this out and i herd it launched today.

Comment

Re: HDX Movies?!

Yes, it will be quite easy to distinguish and select the HDX version of titles. You'll like the interface (and how great they look!).

Comment

I got an email about it today,(30 minutes ago) but when I click on the link in the email http://www.vudu.com/hdx

I get a page not found error.

The email says I should be able to go to the www.vudu.com/movies page to select a movie and initiate a download after signing in.

Does anyone know if they have increased the download rate for these movies from the slow 4mbs that is currently used?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
          The email says I should be able to go to the www.vudu.com/movies page to select a movie and initiate a download after signing in.

Does anyone know if they have increased the download rate for these movies from the slow 4mbs that is currently used?
          Looks like a temporary glitch--but don't worry--you'll be able to rent the movies online soon. It's an awesome feature!

Comment

I see on the VUDU box the title is listed now, on the same screen, with all the viewing options HDX, HD, and SD and prices. All on the same screen!

Comment

I just rented an HDX title for a test. I do see where it still downloads at around 4 mbs and it says viewing can start in 4 hours.

Are there any plans to increase the download rate to the boxes if our connection supports it. I have a 50mbs FIOS connection so I have plenty of extra bandwidth for a download.

Comment

Are there any plans to increase the download rate to the boxes if our connection supports it. I have a 50mbs FIOS connection so I have plenty of extra bandwidth for a download.
                50mbs? Sweet!

I'll let JohnA or someone else in Vudu HQ answer your question about increasing the download rate. You already have your Vudu setup for Instant HD, right?

Note--if anyone is reading this for info, here's how to change the setting:

(From the Vudu remote):

Info and Settings->Service Quality->Set Bandwidth->4 Mbs Instant HD

Comment

Originally posted by klieb View Post
                  50mbs? Sweet!

I'll let JohnA or someone else in Vudu HQ answer your question about increasing the download rate. You already have your Vudu setup for Instant HD, right?

Note--if anyone is reading this for info, here's how to change the setting:

(From the Vudu remote):

Info and Settings->Service Quality->Set Bandwidth->4 Mbs Instant HD
                  Yes they are both setup for instant HD. I am currently downloading an HDX title on each box(Speed Racer) as a test to see how it looks.
                  But since HDX is a higher bitrate, it says I need to wwait 4 hours before viewing.

Does anyone know what the bitrate is for the HDX titles. The regular HD versions are 4mbs so the HDX is something higher.

I think this is a big step in the right direction. With the higher quality HDX titles and the also showing all formats a title is available in on one screen. These are big steps forward for VUDU.
                  Thankyou!

Comment

First off: HDX info page.

Aaron, we're just keeping your rate down out of pipe envy. But seriously, I'd like to hear the answer, too, but my first thought is that they're concerned about overtaxing the peers from which you'd be downloading. I've never been that involved in p2p, so I don't know the technical issues of scaling, but hopefully someone will address that.

Oh, and remember, the web purchasing isn't just for HDX movies! If you KNOW there's one you want to watch tonight or this weekend or next week, you can always rent it NOW, which I personally think is a great improvement.

Comment

....snip....Does anyone know what the bitrate is for the HDX titles. The regular HD versions are 4mbs so the HDX is something higher....snip....
                      Yes, somebody knows, but they won't tell you!

Actually, you might find the reading at http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6601272.html to be intersting, where they quote Prasanna (Vudu CTO) as saying the average bit-rate for an HDX-encoded title is 9 to 10 Mbps, compared with about 4 Mbps for Vudu?s regular 1080i HD titles. All I know is that HDX is really great looking, and the sound is an order of magnitude improvement.

With the ability to order movies from the web and start the download to your Vudu, the longer download times can be managed. Now all we need is a "pre-order" option, so the new titles start downloading at Midnight when they are released.

Comment

Originally posted by Nded View Post
                        Yes, somebody knows, but they won't tell you!

Actually, you might find the reading at http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6601272.html to be intersting, where they quote Prasanna (Vudu CTO) as saying the average bit-rate for an HDX-encoded title is 9 to 10 Mbps, compared with about 4 Mbps for Vudu?s regular 1080i HD titles. All I know is that HDX is really great looking, and the sound is an order of magnitude improvement.

With the ability to order movies from the web and start the download to your Vudu, the longer download times can be managed. Now all we need is a "pre-order" option, so the new titles start downloading at Midnight when they are released.
                        "..The average bit-rate for an HDX-encoded title is 9 to 10 Mbps, compared with about 4 Mbps for Vudu?s regular 1080i HD titles, said chief technology officer Prasanna Ganesan.."

I though the current 4mbs HD titles were also in 1080P24?

Comment

"..The average bit-rate for an HDX-encoded title is 9 to 10 Mbps, compared with about 4 Mbps for Vudu?s regular 1080i HD titles, said chief technology officer Prasanna Ganesan.."

I though the current 4mbs HD titles were also in 1080P24?
                          They are in 1080p24, there were a couple of articles that were incorrect (including one that said 720p).

Comment

Hooray!!! Christmas just came early for me.

This new version incorporates the greatest feature request I've been wanting ever since I bought VUDU in Jan.

And it's implemented in very elegant fashion. Now that 3 tiers of quality are offered I can easily see that at some point the pricing will change to $3.99 for SD $4.99 for HD and $5.99 for HDX. I've always complained about paying $5.99 for HD, but I will definitely pay that for HDX!

This gets me engaged in the product again, because this feature will definitely differentiate VUDU from all the other offerings on the market in a big way.

Now I can find new things to **** 'n moan about, i.e getting a bigger selection of HDX titles by tommorro.

TOTALLY AWESOME VUDU!!!!

p.s. I even got my first time VUDU update via Email!!! I've always been signed up for it, but had never received before.

Regards

Comment

I just rented an HDX title for a test. I do see where it still downloads at around 4 mbs and it says viewing can start in 4 hours.

Now, now. Not everyone has that kind of bandwidth...not even in Silicon Valley

Seriously though, since VUDU is a peer to peer device, your VUDU box would need to be connected to other peers who would be able to upload fast enough to serve instant HDX. HDX movies are roughly 10 megabits so you can imagine the amount of information that these peers would have to to you. Maybe one day when we all have fiber in our homes.
                              Vudu Forum Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X