Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Why Vudu and not anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Vudu and not anyone else?

I have a vudu account that I use and I actually have a lot of movies from my ultraviolet collection but I don't really have any other movies that aren't ultraviolet and was wondering why should I chose Vudu over other video services to own movies that are NOT uv? Will vudu be around for the long run?

Re: Why Vudu and not anyone else?

With Wal-mart backing Vudu (details are unknown to me), they are likely to be around as long as any similar service. That being said, I have yet to take the non-UV title plunge.

Comment

Since Wal-Mart is promoting vudu so much, I think it will be around for a long time to come. No other competitor has come close to offering the same quantity or quality in movies as vudu. I have about 12 non UV movies in my account, but they are from UV studio's so eventually they should get UV status. I don't buy Disney movies anymore, either on vudu, or DVD/BluRay. I will only use CinemaNow to purchase a movie if they have one I really want on a good sale.

Comment

VUDU is great with the HDX and since it has apps available on more platforms than the others. Most of my internet enabled machines that have apps have vudu available as one. Only one I can't think of is WiiU but I don't really use that much anyways.
        If it wasn't for VUDU then I probably wouldn't be using my UV movies as much.

Comment

I went with Vudu because it is Wal-Mart-backed, seems to have a much larger library than the others, and the app on Xbox 360 is great and easy to use. CinemaNow's website is ridiculously slow to load, and Flixster's redemptions don't work half of the time.

Comment

I feel confident about Vudu's "staying power" and support it completely.

So much so that I even purchase non-UV movies and TV shows (mostly when they are on sale or if it's a MUST HAVE movie, like The Avengers).

When Vudu had the Disney-Pixar sale I purchased ALL of them over a period of several weeks. I've already watched Up and Wall-E several times. Even grabbed Tangled when it was on sale. And in case you're wondering, I also have all of the movies on blu-ray disc as well.

There is a boatload of titles I need to D2D. I have to get the list and discs together and make a run to Walmart soon.

Comment

What will prevent this from happening to my vudu/ultraviolet movies?: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/0...c-service-plan

You want to know what customers want? The same thing they wanted with their music? To pay for it - and have it playable on any device, and not locked to a particular company. I for one will be first in line to pay for downloadable unlocked MP4 files of my favorite movies as soon as a studio is brave (and wise) enough to offer it.

Why would I want to buy a "virtual library" of movies when the minute you go out of business, my library is gone. Ask all the Zune or Walmart music purchases that were DRM protected... they shut just that part of the business down - and people are left with worthless digital files after they could no longer authenticate them. Consumers finally won out on the music end (thankfully).

The moment UltraViolet is not profitable, it will be gone?. and so will everyone's collections. You think this DRM is stopping piracy? I actually think it encourages it. What are they afraid of? Greed is a powerful degenerative force I guess.

Walmart shut down their DRM Music Servers - they will shut down VUDU too once it's not profitable or potentially profitable. Can you blame them? Can you blame me for not wanting my "collection" to be in the hands of another company?

Comment

"In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes." - Benjamin Franklin

Salpower, The entertainment landscape will continue to evolve and change.

30 years ago consumers were wary about Betamax losing out to VHS, and then eventually there was grumblings over VHS to DVD. There have also been the media dead ends such as laser disc and HD-DVD. The goal of UltraViolet has been to gather support from all the top major studios to drive the next step of entertainment media evolution in one direction as to not alienate users.

To assist with the transition VUDU is poised to offer consumers the ability to convert DVD and Blu-Ray titles to the UltraViolet cloud with In-Home and In-Store Disc to Digital conversion.

However if you do not feel confident with the companies associated and the service, do not use them, but we encourage you to give it a try.

Comment

I think you are dead wrong here. If vudu shuts down, that does not mean your movies will no longer work. As long as you have them downloaded to your device, you will still be able to play them just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by salpower View Post
                    What will prevent this from happening to my vudu/ultraviolet movies?: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/0...c-service-plan

You want to know what customers want? The same thing they wanted with their music? To pay for it - and have it playable on any device, and not locked to a particular company. I for one will be first in line to pay for downloadable unlocked MP4 files of my favorite movies as soon as a studio is brave (and wise) enough to offer it.

Why would I want to buy a "virtual library" of movies when the minute you go out of business, my library is gone. Ask all the Zune or Walmart music purchases that were DRM protected... they shut just that part of the business down - and people are left with worthless digital files after they could no longer authenticate them. Consumers finally won out on the music end (thankfully).

The moment UltraViolet is not profitable, it will be gone?. and so will everyone's collections. You think this DRM is stopping piracy? I actually think it encourages it. What are they afraid of? Greed is a powerful degenerative force I guess.

Walmart shut down their DRM Music Servers - they will shut down VUDU too once it's not profitable or potentially profitable. Can you blame them? Can you blame me for not wanting my "collection" to be in the hands of another company?
                    I can understand your worries and I have them too, but I believe ultraviolet is a different animal. Multiple studios have backed this idea and in my mind that gives it more stability.

Sure if you buy non-UV titles from VUDU you are more at risk to losing your investment.

Comment

I wish I were dead wrong.

What about when my device is broken and I get a new one? Then what? you can't copy the files because of the DRM locking on them, and there would be no where to download them from again.

Even if you saved the files, they are encrypted, and can only be unlocked by VUDU/Ultraviolet. So I'm afraid you're stuck with a worthless file that is locked, and you don't have the key.

DVDs and blurays are encrypted too... but the key is built into the device. Not so in this DRM protected digital world. If my Bluray player breaks, I buy a new one, and my movie collection is still playable. If vudu/ultraviolet go away - they take my collection with them (except for the movies I've downloaded as long as that device lasts, I guess).

echopulse - you should do some research. Devices don't last forever. As far as I can tell - if they go, so does your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by woodrowjr View Post
                        I can understand your worries and I have them too, but I believe ultraviolet is a different animal. Multiple studios have backed this idea and in my mind that gives it more stability.

Sure if you buy non-UV titles from VUDU you are more at risk to losing your investment.
                        Multiple studios have backed it for now...

I just hate giving them all the control, all the problems the DRM causes, and leaves the consumer dependent on them for the key to unlock what they bought... all while they tout things like: "your entertainment, set free", "total freedom" see: http://www.uvvu.com/what-is-uv.php

Well, what if I want to download a movie file watch it on my Computer, iPad, PlayStation 3, or xbox whenever I want without having to sign in, register, authenticate, etc... with a third party. The only way to do that is to copy the files from a DVD/Bluray while removing the encryption.

See - I can buy any brand of disc player I want.

Why won't the movie industry let VUDU sell unencrypted MP4 downloadable files and provide the hosting services they do now? Can you imagine how great that would be for consumers? No DRM fuss - play on any device... no limits, and truly set free.

And why not? The only reason I can think of is greed. Cause they are doing nothing to stop piracy.

Anyway - I tried to play a VUDU movie and it wouldn't play on my brand new computer because of some technical HDCP crap. (even though my monitor is HDCP capable.) I'm venting because DRM encumbered files are simply bad for the consumer... And most consumers won't realize it until they see that their collection, is not their collection at all.

Comment

Salpower,

VUDU allows upto 5 devices, you can manage these devices from your account settings. You can activate, de-activate, and re-activate devices all you want.

Like I said if you do not feel confident with the companies associated and the service, do not use them, but we encourage you to give it a try.

I wish I were dead wrong.

What about when my device is broken and I get a new one? Then what? you can't copy the files because of the DRM locking on them, and there would be no where to download them from again.

Even if you saved the files, they are encrypted, and can only be unlocked by VUDU/Ultraviolet. So I'm afraid you're stuck with a worthless file that is locked, and you don't have the key.

DVDs and blurays are encrypted too... but the key is built into the device. Not so in this DRM protected digital world. If my Bluray player breaks, I buy a new one, and my movie collection is still playable. If vudu/ultraviolet go away - they take my collection with them (except for the movies I've downloaded as long as that device lasts, I guess).

echopulse - you should do some research. Devices don't last forever. As far as I can tell - if they go, so does your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by DionI View Post
                            Salpower,

VUDU allows upto 5 devices, you can manage these devices from your account settings. You can activate, de-activate, and re-activate devices all you want.

Like I said if you do not feel confident with the companies associated and the service, do not use them, but we encourage you to give it a try.
                            If I buy a Bluray or DVD, I can play it on as many devices as I want.

I totally understand the concept... and I've tried it... and I love everything about it except one thing: DRM - The fact that I cannot have a copy of the movies that I can play without VUDU/Ultraviolet servers authenticating it.

Walmart shut down their Music authentication servers, and if VUDU is unprofitable they will do the same thing again. Can't you see, I don't want to invest in something that could vanish in time.

Why can't I pay for an unlocked version of the movie? (IE: MP4 file download)

Comment

You are investing in Blu-Ray titles that devices to watch those on will eventually vanish. VUDU is giving you an option to allow you to take your legacy titles and convert them to the cloud for a low fee.

In actuality you could still watch Super-8mm, BetaMax, VHS, Laser-Disc, and HD-DVD. But you will need to hit ebay, and thrift shops to find a device that will play your titles. The point is that the entertainment landscape will continue to evolve. In ten years we quite possibly could be talking about a new format, at which point Blu-Ray players will be in the thrift shop aswell.

Also the major failure behind Laser-Disc and HD-DVD was the studios did not get behind those mediums, this is not the case with UltraViolet.

But once again, VUDU and or UltraViolet may not be for everyone, and some people might just not be ready for the change yet. Also if you do not feel confident with the companies associated and the service, do not use them, but we encourage you to give it a try.

If I buy a Bluray or DVD, I can play it on as many devices as I want.

Walmart shut down their Music authentication servers, and if VUDU is unprofitable they will do the same thing again. Can't you see, I don't want to invest in something that could vanish in time.

Why can't I pay for an unlocked version of the movie? (IE: MP4 file download)

Comment

Working...
                              X