Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Suggestions from new users!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions from new users!

I'm a new VUDU user. So far I really like my VUDU, but I wanted to share my thoughts and suggestions.

1) Rentals, rentals, rentals. The VUDU video library is good, but ideally everything should be available for rental. I know this is the result of the studios and their licensing restrictions. However, there are a ton of films on my Wishlist that just aren't available for rental. I don't know anyone who would buy a movie without seeing it first and it seems silly that I'd have to rent the DVD instead of just watching it on VUDU. I have no doubt that VUDU (and the studios) would be making a lot more money from me if everything in their current library was available for rental. My guess is that they'd make 3x to 4x more. I really bought the VUDU for its rental capability, and my guess is that many other folks did as well, so I'd really like to see rentals take first priority. That's not to say that purchasing isn't important, but I think rentals are really what's going to define VUDU in the market. Conversely, there are films that are only available for rental; while this isn't as important to me, it would be nice to see a purchase option for those films.

2) Television shows. No need to say much here. With a complete library of television shows, VUDU could really destroy cable.

3) HD content. Period. If the VUDU can build a big library of high-definition content, it could end the HD-DVD vs BluRay battle in a jiffy.

4) Restart function. The VUDU needs a menu option to restart the box. I've experienced a few bugs that prevent movie playback (rarely, but it happens). Because there is no way to tell the box to reboot, I have to unplug it! Like TiVo, VUDU should add a restart function in the Options menu.

5) A 1080p mode that's not 1080p/24. Many people purchased LCDs, Plasmas, and projectors when 1080p first came out. I've got a Sony KDL-40XBR2, which supports 1080p, but not 1080p/24. Please support other 1080p modes.

6) Captioning. I'm surprised this doesn't exist already. From what I've read on the forums, VUDU would have to make a separate stream of the film that includes captions. I don't know if I buy this. It seems like VUDU would be able to make a caption data file (with time codes included) that could be side loaded into an existing movie file. Heck, this is how the gray market does it.

7) Product roadmap or upcoming features. I'm not looking for the company's 12 month strategy, but I am interested in what's coming in the next 1-2 releases. There are many users who are considering purchasing a VUDU. My bet is that a list of features in upcoming releases might sway more users to purchase. My first question: what's the "More" function gonna do?

8) Demo content. Include an SD and HD demo reel.

OK VUDU community, what are your suggestions? What do you think of my suggestions?

Re: Suggestions from new users!

I think they are all good suggestions. I think the rental one is way bigger than all of the others though. I want to watch "Knocked Up" and don't want to own it. As it is now, I can't tell if it will ever be rentable. I actually ignore all movies that aren't available for renting. I really hope that this is temporary.

Comment

Wow sirris101, All great suggestions. I think TV shows would definitely be a "killer". My suggestions for the first TV shows are all the old greats from the 80's and 90's. Charles in Charge, Mr. Belvedere, Perfect Strangers. My favorite TV show, which only aired a season is definitely Freaks and Geeks!

I'm also in totally agreement with your rental suggestion. I have come across several movies that I would rent in a second and would never care to own. If I feel this way and so do you, then we can only assume that there are plenty of people out there to make up the cost difference.
      --------------
      Adam Hirsch
      www.adamahirsch.com
      www.thefattytalks.com

Comment

I think you've done a great job of summarizing and expressing many of the requests/gripes scattered around the forum. I agree with them all, particularly the lack of content, closed captions and a product roadmap.

I can see why Vudu wouldn't want to be held to a development timeline, but it would be good to know where the product is going and what their priorities are. There's not much feedback from Vudu. I don't know if closed captions will be available next month, next year, or ever!

Oh, and if you haven't done it already, please vote in the poll on content quality.

Comment

I'm curious about the thinking of the high priority given to closed captioning. It has been available on my DVDs for a long time and I have never used it. It seems to me that if you buy the box today, you probably never use the feature either. Now if you need the feature, you wouldn't buy the box until they have it. That seems like Vudu should do it to attract customers but it doesn't sound like something that will have any impact on the existing ones. I would think there are a lot more important things that should be done first. Does anybody currently own this and is actively waiting for it?

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            I'm curious about the thinking of the high priority given to closed captioning. It has been available on my DVDs for a long time and I have never used it. It seems to me that if you buy the box today, you probably never use the feature either. Now if you need the feature, you wouldn't buy the box until they have it. That seems like Vudu should do it to attract customers but it doesn't sound like something that will have any impact on the existing ones. I would think there are a lot more important things that should be done first. Does anybody currently own this and is actively waiting for it?
            I use closed captioning occasionally on my DVD player. I have a slight hearing deficiency, and closed captioning really helps when there are issues with dialog--especially foreign accents. I would appreciate closed captioning on Vudu.

--orccro1

Comment

Originally posted by orccro1 View Post
              I use closed captioning occasionally on my DVD player. I have a slight hearing deficiency, and closed captioning really helps when there are issues with dialog--especially foreign accents. I would appreciate closed captioning on Vudu.

--orccro1
              That makes sense. I wonder how what percentage of people use it the same way. Many people here complain more about not having the 5.1 sound available.

Comment

My wife is from China and although she is fluent in English she prefers close captioning when we watch dvd's.
                also, as far as the issue of rental vs owning the mvies on Vudu why is their a survey so that the company can see how many owers will rent rather then buy.

Comment

Originally posted by mag12203 View Post
                  My wife is from China and although she is fluent in English she prefers close captioning when we watch dvd's.
                  also, as far as the issue of rental vs owning the mvies on Vudu why is their a survey so that the company can see how many owers will rent rather then buy.
                  Could you please rephrase that in the form of a question?

I'm guessing you'd like to see a new survey on the forum. Can you please post some suggested question/answers?

Comment

I use closed captioning quite a bit, especially since I live in an duplex and can't turn the volume up very loud. But more importantly is the audience of hearing impaired customers who would benefit from this functionality.

Secondly, I want to be clear that I do like my VUDU quite a bit and think the VUDU team has done a tremendous job, especially given this is a v1 product. I re-read my post and thought some might see it as an all out criticism; quite the opposite, I'd like to see VUDU own this market like TiVo did with DVRs. It's clear they could only do so much before shipping the box, and I'm confident it will improve. I just want to help guide that improvement!

Comment

Does anybody currently own this and is actively waiting for it?
                      I leave CC on all the time. I have moderate hearing loss in my right ear, and after my daughter goes to bed, I use CC pretty much all the time because I try to keep the TV very low. I also have more trouble than most making out the dialog when the music or background noise is high...like in the more violent action and sci-fi movies I watch only after my daughter has gone to bed. So I would find it a lot more usable if it had CC, and if I weren't testing it, the lack of CC would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

Comment

well most of these issues have already been addressed in the forums, but because your new, I will tell you that most of the features you are requesting will be coming to Vudu all in due time.... since this is a new product they are really working hard on fine tuning the system.

So just be patient, enjoy what the Vudu has to offer at the present time and enjoy all the new goodies as they become available!!!

Comment

I bought the vudu because I'm a movie luvin' gadget nut, like most here probably.

I would really like to see closed captioning for 2 reasons - my hearing is lousy because of many years of headphone abuse , and more importantly, English is not my wife's first language. And what about the hearing-impaired? Are they to be excluded (it's probably a matter of time before VOD must come with closed captioning)? So I find this feature more important then DD 5.1, but we all have our priorities.

That's why it would be nice to get a sense of how Vudu is prioritizing features. Do they want to please the audiophiles or the hearing impaired first? Who is their primary audience or target market?

Comment

Since the issue of renting vs buying has come up many times I would like to see a poll of how many members rent moview rather then buy movies. I have already rented 3 movies in the last week and I don't plan on buying any. If the Vudu company can see how many people plan to rent maybe they might target differently.

Comment

My comments to following original suggestions.
                              Originally posted by sirris101 View Post
                              1) Rentals, rentals, rentals.
                              2) Television shows.
                              3) HD content.

6) Captioning.
                              I think rental should be Vudu's main business, if they want to pick a secondary subject, they should pick television instead selling title. That way, not only they don't have to waste money on such a big hard drive (40G would be good, $$$) and they don't have to deal portability issue that much.
                              I wonder if you know that there are people putting famous television show on web space on the other side of Pacific already? People around the world only needs a PC or modified Xbox to download shows and play them back at time of their choice. When I said people, I really mean a networking of people. There are so many sites to choose although I doubt their legality.
                              Of course there are official business like WOWtv at Singapore who is providing VOD for TV channels and movies. I guess you Vudu fan should really check them look out.
                              And yeah, I want closed caption, I think it's a must have. To be more accurate, I want DVD' subtitle which kinda like closed caption with multiple language choices. And HD content is nice to have...

Comment

Working...
                              X