Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

The "Incorrect Aspect Ratio" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "Incorrect Aspect Ratio" Thread

Some VUDU staffers are cinephiles, too, and hate letterboxed or P&S as much as we do. I believe Felipe and Jake have said exactly that. But this thread isn't something that a user can come here, read, and learn how to fix a problem, so that's probably why it's not pinned. Pinning a thread is usually for common problems that are solvable, usually those that users can easily solve on their own at home.

It might make sense to include in the FAQ a description of how to report content errors, the fact that VUDU has to request a new source (and then wait until the studio deigns to send it), and a link to this thread, though.

Comment

I understand that Vudu is in a tough spot. It's up to the studios to send a corrected video file. So their hands are tied.

However, Vudu should at least notify their customers that these titles are not in the correct aspect ratio. A simple notice on the movie's More Info page would suffice. I don't know why they're not doing this.

What's especially troubling is that some of these movies are defective. I'm not talking about basic OAR cropping. Some movies like Frankenstein and Creature From The Black Lagoon are stretched or squished. These are faulty encodes. Vudu knows about the problem, and continues to sell them anyways.

The way to fix these problems is pretty simple. Remove the listings from their catalog. Don't sell movies that are cropped or defective. If the studios want to get revenue from these titles, they'll send a fixed video file.

But right now, Vudu is sending the message to customers and studios that they really don't care. That's disappointing.

Comment

You can add Unaccompanied Minors to the list. It starts out OAR (2.35:1), but shifts to 1.85:1 after the title screen.

Target Ticket has the movie in the correct aspect ratio. Comparing the two, it looks like the 1.85:1 version just opened up the frame. So you're not missing any picture (no cropping on the sides). But it's kinda distracting that every shot has a bunch of extra headroom above the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by tbdave View Post
          You can add Unaccompanied Minors to the list. It starts out OAR (2.35:1), but shifts to 1.85:1 after the title screen.
          Sorry it took so long to add this to the list, but it's done now! Thanks for the info.

Comment

I totally agree with everyone this problem sucks.. I like others have a projector and i bought it because i wanted a huge image.. I say about 80 percent of the movies end up taking a foot and half from each the top and the bottom of my screen.. That's a huge chunk to be take off.. Drives me nuts..

What kills more is going to the movies and watching a movie in full screen, then when i watch that same movie at home i have the black bars.. We should have options if that's even possible..

Please get rid of the bars.. I believe most people who bought a large tv is because they want a large image..

Comment

Originally posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
              I totally agree with everyone this problem sucks.. I like others have a projector and i bought it because i wanted a huge image.. I say about 80 percent of the movies end up taking a foot and half from each the top and the bottom of my screen.. That's a huge chunk to be take off.. Drives me nuts..

What kills more is going to the movies and watching a movie in full screen, then when i watch that same movie at home i have the black bars.. We should have options if that's even possible..

Please get rid of the bars.. I believe most people who bought a large tv is because they want a large image..
              The black bars are GOOD. They are there so that you get the full image.

Comment

I got an infuriating e-mail from Fox yesterday. I wrote to Fox to request that they send Vudu a new encode of Revenge of the Nerds III and IV as both films were show in 4:3 (they were TV movies) but are being stretched (not cropped) to 16:9. I wrote to Fox in October and attached screen shot demonstrating the stretched image.

(side note-- I hate cropping. It cuts the image. It's annoying and not the way a film was meant to be seen. That said, cropping is lightyears better than stretching an image. The 'stretch' creates a funhouse mirror effect that is downright unwatchable. What is the point to having a film in High Definition if the image is going to actually look worse?)

yesterday, after 3 months I got an e-mail from Fox. It said the following:

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your email. Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation and Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love are only available in 16x9 through VUDU.

Thank you,
                Fox Customer Care
                Oh man, was I angry. I don't think they even looked at the stretched image that I attached.

The lack of interest in quality control for their product is staggering to me. They simply don't care in the least. This is a product they are selling and the image is downright unwatchable!

I of course sent a reply:

This is NOT the proper aspect ratio. The image is stretched, and the people appear like 'fun house' mirrors. Even if the film was cropped to 16:9 ( which is not ideal by any means), it would be preferable to the stretched and distorted image currently being shown on VUDU.

Please correct this glaring error ASAP
                Seeing as they have already sent a clear message that they don't give a crap, it'll probably do no good

Comment

Back in November they sent the following, placing the blame on Vudu:

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your patience while we looked into the issue. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, this is an issue that Vudu will need to resolve. We suggest contacting Vudu directly for further assistance. Phone: 1-888-554-VUDU (8838)/Email: support@vudu.com. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,
                  Fox Customer Care

Comment

Originally posted by jorgebetancourt View Post

The black bars don't take anything off. There was never anything there. Sometimes movies are shot in an aspect ratio that is different than the aspect ratio of your television. Most HDTVs are a ratio of 16 wide by 9 tall. Some movies are shot at 2.35:1. Those movies are more than twice as wide as they are tall. The TVs I mentioned are less than twice as wide as they are tall. The only way to present the entire 2.35 image on a 16x9 TV is not to use the entire screen area. By not using the top and bottom of the TV for picture, and having black bars instead, you see the entire undistorted image on your TV as it was seen in the theater. Alternatively, if you had a 2.35:1 TV and you were watching a 16:9 movie on it, you'd have black bars on the sides of your screen. This is the same thing that you experience when watching an old TV program on a new tv. Old TVs have an aspect ratio of 4:3. That's almost square. You'll have black bars on the sides of your TV screen in order to see the entire image. Most TVs today have a zoom feature. You can use that to make the image larger. That eliminates the black bars on the top and bottom. By doing that however, whatever was on the extreme sides of the screen will no longer be seen. Some TVs have a stretch feature, but by making the image taller to fill the entire screen without making the image wider so you don't lose anything, you can get some funny looking pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                      The black bars don't take anything off. There was never anything there. Sometimes movies are shot in an aspect ratio that is different than the aspect ratio of your television. Most HDTVs are a ratio of 16 wide by 9 tall. Some movies are shot at 2.35:1. Those movies are more than twice as wide as they are tall. The TVs I mentioned are less than twice as wide as they are tall. The only way to present the entire 2.35 image on a 16x9 TV is not to use the entire screen area. By not using the top and bottom of the TV for picture, and having black bars instead, you see the entire undistorted image on your TV as it was seen in the theater. Alternatively, if you had a 2.35:1 TV and you were watching a 16:9 movie on it, you'd have black bars on the sides of your screen. This is the same thing that you experience when watching an old TV program on a new tv. Old TVs have an aspect ratio of 4:3. That's almost square. You'll have black bars on the sides of your TV screen in order to see the entire image. Most TVs today have a zoom feature. You can use that to make the image larger. That eliminates the black bars on the top and bottom. By doing that however, whatever was on the extreme sides of the screen will no longer be seen. Some TVs have a stretch feature, but by making the image taller to fill the entire screen without making the image wider so you don't lose anything, you can get some funny looking pictures.
                      People like guys who wrote that post about needing a full screen don't understand what is going on, and they are the ones ultimately targeted by studios and broadcasters going out of their way to alter films and shows just to make them fill the screen to make the ignorant people happy. Side bars for 4:3 video on a widescreen TV are a good thing, it means you are seeing the entire image not stretched or cropped. Seeing the top and bottom bars for 2:35:1 movies on a widescreen TV are a good thing, it also means you are seeing the entire image without anything being removed.

People need to realize that the shapes of videos differ depending on what you watch it's called their 'aspect ratio'. If you alter the video just fit and fill a specific screen shape all you are really doing is watching a zoomed in version of the picture with information cut off, now why would anyone want to sacrifice footage of the movie or show just to fill the screen? I can't stand when 4:3 has to be altered just so people don't whine about the side bars. I hate when 2:35:1 movies are cropped on the sides and zoomed in just to fill the screen as well. The whole point of 16x9 TV's in the first place is to see everything in it's original aspect ratio! Stretching and cropping and zooming totally defeats the purpose. People need to educate themselves on exactly what they are asking for and demand the full image on all shows and movies from studios. As far as I am concerned if it isn't OAR I don't want it!

Comment

Originally posted by Emissary35 View Post
                        As far as I am concerned if it isn't OAR I don't want it!
                        amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Emissary35 View Post
                          I can't stand when 4:3 has to be altered just so people don't whine about the side bars.
                          Have you seen any episodes of the Simpsons on FXX recently ? They've taken the old 4:3 episodes and reformatted them to 16x9. It looks truely awful. Whole jokes are being missed because background gags have been cut out. It looks terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Capt-Cupcake View Post
                            Have you seen any episodes of the Simpsons on FXX recently ? They've taken the old 4:3 episodes and reformatted them to 16x9. It looks truly awful. Whole jokes are being missed because background gags have been cut out. It looks terrible
                            I have not seen this but I am truly not surprised by it, it astounds me how many people are willing to accept an altered for the worse copy of a show or movie as long as they can fill their screen completely. I'm all for remastering older shows and making them look as good as possible as long as the original aspect ratio most specifically 4:3 are left alone. We went through this debacle back in the early 2000s when everyone was upset because DVD's were all coming out in widescreen and at the time most people still had 4:3 TV's and they couldn't deal with the top and bottom black bars. So a lot of studios started putting out full screen cropped versions of those same movies just to satisfy people. Today it is the reverse, altering 4:3 video to fit 16x9 TV's that everyone has today because people can't deal with black side bars. It's totall insanity and it just goes to show how unintelligent these people are for wanting altered versions of movies and shows just to fill their specific screen shape. If studios are going to do this to satisfy those types of people it is fine with me as long as they also provide the OAR version for those people who truly care about the original presentation of the show or movie. If they won't allow both then only offer the original, and sites like Vudu where you purchase movies and shows there is NO EXCUSE to have any content that is not OAR!

Comment

The War of the Worlds (1953) should be 1.37:1, but it's 16:9 on Vudu. The opening credits/titles and the closing company logo appear to be correct, but the actual film switches to 16: 9. This means we lose a lot of the picture.

Comment

I appreciate this thread, as I too care about getting the OAR.

I've noticed a couple examples where I'm seeing the correct OAR, but it's specified as incorrect in the OP. An example is The Fifth Element. (It's 2.40:1 as I see it, definitely not 1.78:1.) Is this simply a matter of the OP's list not being updated? The main reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it's possible that for some movies, a new encode with the proper AR has been provided to newer purchasers on a "going forward" basis, and prior purchasers are stuck with the old, incorrect encode. I've always assumed that existing owners would be give a newer encode, is it possible that this isn't the case?. In addition to OAR issues, I'm always hopeful that some DD2.0 encodes will be updated to DD5.1 (The Matrix in DD2.0 ), bit now I'm wondering if that will be the case

Comment

Working...
                                X