Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Apple TV app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple TV app?

Not sure if this has been asked but is there a app for Apple TV box? So that you can watch vudu from your apple box like roku? Trying to ween down to one box and I don't have an Apple TV box to check it. If no app is there an app planned since there is one for ipads and the like?

Thanks

Re: Apple TV app?

There is no Vudu app for the Apple TV. I don't think Apple would add Vudu like they added Hulu Plus because Vudu is a competitor to the iTunes Store. If Apple would create an app store for the Apple TV Vudu could develop an app.

Comment

In my opinion, Apple TV wants the public to ONLY buy and rent movies and TV shows from Apple's iTunes store.

The believe that only reason Apple TV includes Hulu Plus and Netflix is because they use a subscription-based business model -- less of a threat to Apple's iTunes sales.

The ONLY WAY I could ever see Apple TV running Vudu on it would be if it's a playback-only situation like the apps on the ipad and iphone. It would be SWEET to get even just that option, but having used the Vudu app on iPad and iPhone, I find them so bare bones and lacking as far as features are concerned.

Still, it would be a step in the right direction towards getting an all-in-one box solution.

Comment

Originally posted by nycomet View Post
        In my opinion, Apple TV wants the public to ONLY buy and rent movies and TV shows from Apple's iTunes store.

The believe that only reason Apple TV includes Hulu Plus and Netflix is because they use a subscription-based business model -- less of a threat to Apple's iTunes sales.

The ONLY WAY I could ever see Apple TV running Vudu on it would be if it's a playback-only situation like the apps on the ipad and iphone. It would be SWEET to get even just that option, but having used the Vudu app on iPad and iPhone, I find them so bare bones and lacking as far as features are concerned.

Still, it would be a step in the right direction towards getting an all-in-one box solution.
        Thanks for the info! I am trying to find a solution to this whole 5 device limit crap on Vudu That and I am opposed to buying any movie that is not UV for fear Apple will end up killing the UV service. I am worried about buying non UV movies. Rovi is selling Cinemanow, The Nook is going away. It wouldn't be the first time Walmart said screw this were out of this business like they did with music.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruinit View Post
          Thanks for the info! I am trying to find a solution to this whole 5 device limit crap on Vudu That and I am opposed to buying any movie that is not UV for fear Apple will end up killing the UV service. I am worried about buying non UV movies. Rovi is selling Cinemanow, The Nook is going away. It wouldn't be the first time Walmart said screw this were out of this business like they did with music.
          I understand your concerns. However, I believe the future of Ultraviolet is bright.

--UV is still spreading around the world
          --Nearly every studio is on board (Disney being the only real hold out)
          --More and more blu-rays are being released with UV
          --Several providers offer disc-to-digital (you won't find this on iTunes)
          --UV movies may be viewed through more than just one service provider

As for Vudu, its HDX files are 1080p and many include 5.1 (some even offer 7.1) Dolby Digital Plus surround sound. Vudu has yet to launch its service in many other territories beyond North America. Yes, it has Walmart as its backbone. In the unlikely event that Walmart decides to "pull out," Vudu itself could be sold to another corporation (ie Disney!).

Disney has failed to successfully launch its own proprietary streaming digital service and the company has already stated that it is "watching" the development of Ultraviolet. Disney is aware that it's the last major studio to not join Ultraviolet. Disney is a money-making machine. It will pursue all viable opportunities for increased revenue.

What does this suggest?

To me it signals that Disney has a couple options. The company can make a third effort to develop its own streaming service. The company could outright buy Apple Computer (before you laugh consider that no one in their right mind would ever have thought Disney would buy ABC). Buying Apple Computer would give Disney full control over iTunes, thus making the service its exclusive digital outlet. Disney is tech-savvy and it will evolve to meet and supply the demands of our technology driven society.

Ultraviolet didn't exist at the time Disney partnered with iTunes. Disney could be waiting for an exclusivity agreement with Apple iTunes to expire before it can join Ultraviolet. And to those who say the Disney-Pixar-Apple connection is solid (and I am sure that it is), let's face it: Steve Jobs is dead. Jobs didn't own Disney. My guess is he had no control over whether or not Disney could pursue other options (outside of iTunes) for streaming digital media. After all, Disney did make failed attempts to develop its own streaming service despite its iTunes partnership.

In the end, I believe Disney will join Ultraviolet. UV is a rapidly-growing alternative to iTunes. Studios that have already joined Ultraviolet see it as a way to expand their digital business without being locked into a single portal (iTunes).

As long as the consumer continues to embrace UV movies and TV shows and turn to service providers such as Vudu, Flixster and CinemaNow, the streaming digital business will grow.

A strong lure for movie-loving consumers is getting free UV codes when buying blu-ray discs (and DVDs). Revenue will increase as those who redeem their UV codes discover alternative buying and rental options through services such as Vudu.

Additionally, early digital releases will become the norm and that will also attract more consumers to buy or rent streaming movies from Vudu and other sources. If those movies are UV enabled, that will further enhance acceptance of Ultraviolet. Many people still have no idea what UV is, but that will change over time.

The attractiveness of UV is that the consumer will "own" their movie file in a "digital locker." Many of the good people here on Vudu have already amassed large (and continually growing) digital movie (and TV) libraries. The quality is there. The convenience is there.

Can pricing be better? Perhaps. Watch for sales. Look for more early digital releases. Look for alluring prices (the early release of Life of Pi is $14.99 on Vudu). Look for more of Walmart's disc preorder offerings that often includes a Vudu/UV file that can be viewed in advance of the actual disc release. Home D2D will get better and more convenient once the bugs are all ironed out.

Combine all of the information above and make your own decisions about the future of Ultraviolet. I could be wrong, but I believe Ultraviolet is here to say -- and we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg with this relatively new alternative to iTunes.

The icing on the cake will come when Disney inevitably joins Ultraviolet. In my opinion, that day is not all that far away.

Comment

AppleTV doesn't support any "Apps". In other words there is no store that you can add "Apps". Likewise I don't think you can remove, or even reorganize the pre-loaded App's.

AppleTV currently only comes in Model-T form, unlike all other Apple products where you can add to it.

You can always hack an ApplyTV to get in, however, toy likely wouldn't be able to access you typically iTunes library and other official stuff.

I'm not the best informed on the subject.

Needless to say I have an AppleTV at home and it gets used less than all my other devices due to the limited functionality. Heck if they just replaced Netflix with Vudu I would use it WAY more and perhaps by a few more.

Comment

Well thought out reply!

I do hope Disney comes on board but I don't see that happening any time soon. MGM can't be considered on board until they actually have some titles available for D2D in my opinion. There are also some nice films that are from smaller studios that still are not UV. Also not all movies are available from the studios that actually are committed to UV.

I would also like to see the ability to download the movies in our UV locker to a format that would play without having to watch on my pc with the vudutogo app. Like mp4, avi, mkv etc. At least that way if VUDU closes up we can download the movies we "OWN" to a hard drive. I mean I use Roku with my plex server to watch downloaded tv shows the same could be done with movies! Now they will balk at that but I see no reason I should not be allowed to download a movie I own in whatever format I choose! The law is broken when the movie is shared, and thats a problem for someone else to regulate.

Oh and by the way I'm not a hater I have committed to Vudu and UV I have over 1200 titles in my account and all but a few of them are UV. I have no Disney or MGM other than Skyfall.

Comment

I would also like to see the ability to download the movies in our UV locker to a format that would play without having to watch on my pc with the vudutogo app.
                For "portable" downloads of UV content, this will start becoming available sometime later this year via "CFF". A bit of info on it:

http://www.uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#3.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                  For "portable" downloads of UV content, this will start becoming available sometime later this year via "CFF". A bit of info on it:

http://www.uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#3.2
                  Good to know Thanks Jake!

I read in there that Amazon is both a supporter and a no supporter that's funny. I wish Amazon would come on board as well! Then I think UV would be here to stay. Disney and Apple are gonna do whatever they want because they can

Comment

I have over 1200 titles in my account and all but a few of them are UV.
                    :O

You have 1200 movies in your UV locker?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
                      AppleTV doesn't support any "Apps". In other words there is no store that you can add "Apps". Likewise I don't think you can remove, or even reorganize the pre-loaded App's.

AppleTV currently only comes in Model-T form, unlike all other Apple products where you can add to it.

You can always hack an ApplyTV to get in, however, toy likely wouldn't be able to access you typically iTunes library and other official stuff.

I'm not the best informed on the subject.

Needless to say I have an AppleTV at home and it gets used less than all my other devices due to the limited functionality. Heck if they just replaced Netflix with Vudu I would use it WAY more and perhaps by a few more.
                      Apple adds the apps when they do software updates to the Apple TV. Granted, they probably won't put their competition on their little box. I would rather see some sort of Apple iTunes app on my Bluray player so I could get rid of the Apple TV and still access my iTunes content.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnatevil View Post
                        Apple adds the apps when they do software updates to the Apple TV. Granted, they probably won't put their competition on their little box. I would rather see some sort of Apple iTunes app on my Bluray player so I could get rid of the Apple TV and still access my iTunes content.

...or have Apple join DECE and get all your UV Locker titles on your AppleTV via iTunes.

Comment

I was giving the whole AppleTV thing some thought recently again. Apple more or less went with the global standard of MP3 for audio and they've still made a killing. They allowed you to upload and merge you own collection even if it was purchased from them , you ripped from CD, "other".

If they don't something even HALF as similar for Video it would make all the difference. Standardize on a global video standard. Convert iTunes libraries to UV, allow D2D for iTunes from Disc, allowing merged streaming of UV and iTunes files in AppleTV, iTunes, etc. WHATEVER. SOMETHING.

I know Apple doesn't like to concede to anyone. But they also like to sell hardware and they've even said they often give away software for the most part to sell more hardware.

Just my two cents.

Comment

4-sure it would be cool to upload personal videos of say, my children's 2nd grade play, into a cloud service free of charge (FoC) and then be able to stream it back out of the cloud and to keep them all there for safe keeping perpetually.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I recently bought the Apple TV just for the NBA league pass. I didn't realise what a cool device this is. The interface is lush. I wish Apple would come to the table and add Vudu on this thing! I know Vudu is a competitor but Microsoft & Sony consoles have Vudu and they have their own movie store. I guess Apple is a behemoth and can't be touched by tiny Vudu *sigh* anyway I would love to use this more especially with Vudu. Looking forward to streaming the NBA on it this year though.

Comment

Working...
                              X