Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Movie Popularity and the Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie Popularity and the Network

I was wondering where "unpopular movies" live. Since Vudu uses a P2P file sharing mechanism, it seems that there must be some boxes somewhere that are hosting these movies that have never been rented.

Along those same lines, if you rent or buy a lot of movies, does that make your box a better candidate for providing movies to others, thus increasing your upload traffic?

Re: Movie Popularity and the Network

Just like any other P2P there has to be seeds. I am not sure where VUDU keeps their seed locations but I am sure these locations have enought bandwith to serve up these "least" viewed movies.

I guess you could be a canidate for being a peer if you have rented a lot of popular movies. The more you rented the higher the odds. Its Vegas baby....I'll give you 2 to 1 against...

Comment

Keep in mind though that Vudu will only use a max of about 300 kbps upstream. So even if you have a very popular movie on your box, you will not use much more bandwidth than any other movie as you can only serve so many clients at a time with that speed limitation.

I will say that with the increase in clients out there, I have seen my upstream use go down quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. The more clients there are, the less any one client is dependent upon for serving content. So if Vudu has 500,000 customers, the needs of any one box to serve is far, far less than if Vudu had say just 500 customers...

Comment

Shouldn't doubling the number of users double the overall download needs as well as doubling the number of potential servers? It seems like the upload demand should stay pretty constant as the system grows.

For example, 500 boxes each downloading a movie means 500 downloads/uploads which would require an average of 1 upload per box. If you have 1000 boxes each downloading a movie, the average need to upload should still be 1 movie per box.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
          Shouldn't doubling the number of users double the overall download needs as well as doubling the number of potential servers? It seems like the upload demand should stay pretty constant as the system grows.

For example, 500 boxes each downloading a movie means 500 downloads/uploads which would require an average of 1 upload per box. If you have 1000 boxes each downloading a movie, the average need to upload should still be 1 movie per box.
          Yes, but the statistical average is that not everyone is going to be watching a movie at the same time. That's my take on it at least...

For example, if there are 3 peers in the network and one orders a show, those two each take 50% of the load.

Now with 4 peers, the load is split 33/33/33. With 5 peers, the load is now 25%, etc. etc.

So even though there may be more people ordering movies, there are likely to be many more boxes at any given time that are not being used....

Comment

But at any given time, doubling the number of users, doubles the number of downloads. My previous post didn't specify a time but if you used 1 movie/week or 1 movie/hour or 1 movie/month, doubling the number of users doubles the number of requested downloads over any specified time period.

Comment

I disagree. You are assuming every user has the same viewing habit. But they don't. Some people may rent one movie a day. Some may rent one movie a month or every two months. It's a distributed solution that works on the random viewing habits of the user base. If everyone used their boxes the same way, you would be right, but they don't. Additionally, the more people that rent or purchase any given movie, the more peers there are that can serve that movie. but not everyone will be watching a given movie at the same time. This is why the P2P system was developed. It completely reduces the amount of server power needed at the head end. Since once movies are seeded to the field, all the server needs to do is act as the traffic cop and tell what peers to talk to each other...

Comment

I'm not assuming that everyone has the same habits. I am assuming that any large group will have the same habits as any other large group of the same size. That is one group of 1,000 users will watch the same number of movies as any other randomly picked group of 1,000 users. So, 2,000 users will consume twice as many movies as 1,000 users. That is statistically true if the groups are picked randomly.

So, if 1,000 users, on average, watch 1 movie per week, in one week, 1,000 movies will be watched, maintaining the average of 1/user/week. Some may watch 10. Some may watch none, but 1,000 movies will need to come from somewhere. Since there are 1,000 users, each user will, on average, provide 1 movie to the system.

If you double the number of users to 2,000, but maintain the average of 1 movie/person/week (and there is no reason to assume any other average), then 2,000 movies will get watched in one week. Since there are now 2,000 users, each will still provide 1 movie upload/week.

The individual habits of users are only statistically significant when you have very small numbers of users. For instance, if the first 10 users are heavy hitters, then certainly getting to 100 or 1,000 will reduce the average upload requirements for the initial heavy users, since the average will reduce for a while as new users are added. However, once you get past a certain point, the individual patterns contriubte to, but don't really change the average. Maybe we are still in that phase and that is what you were talking about. My guess is we are already passed that or will be soon.

Comment

But I am still not sure I completely agree with you. I think your model assumes everyone has the same content on their boxes. True - if you have X% of population Y watching an average of 1 movie a week then 2*Y = 2*X. However, that doesn't mean the load necessarily increases that much on each box.

Different boxes are going to have different movies on them. The more boxes that have a popular movie, the less load on each box. Not everyone will watch that movie at the same time and not everyone will ever watch that movie. Different people will be watching different content.

Also, your box might serve just 5 minutes of a particular movie since there are many other clients to each server 5 minutes of the same movie. It only takes 20 clients to serve 5 minutes each of an average length movie. So as the number of clients having a particular movie goes up, the load per box goes down.

Plus, we don't know the methods by which Vudu seeds client to boxes. Maybe certain clients get seeds of full movies and then act as primary servers while others don't. Maybe this rotates over time, etc.

So I still believe that at any one moment, the load on a particular box is going to be much less with a large client base than a small one. The overall load on the peering network is increasing yes, but each peer is carrying a smaller amount of the pie...

Comment

I agree with your comment about each box having different movies on it. I mentioned that in my original post. It does seem that having more movies on your box will make you more likely to be asked to upload content. That makes sense.

For the other part though, in your last sentence you acknowledge that the requests for content grows with the growing user base but say that the load on the others diminishes. That last part that is wrong. The demand for content grows proportionally to the user base. An individual request for content has a reduced chance of hitting you with a larger user base, but there are more user requests. The 2 grow proportionally. This means that if you keep all of the other variables constant, which you would absolutely do for a large sampling, doubling the number of users doubles the need for content. It does cut in half the chance that any particular request will hit you, but it doubles the number of requests, so everything is a wash.

There is one place you could see a big benefit right now, and that is with the initial startup for boxes. If that takes a lot of data, then having a larger number of boxes to get in from can make a huge impact. In fact, that may be what you are seeing. Everyone who bought in the first week or 2 had a much higher chance of hitting your box than they would today or in the future. My comments, I guess, really only make sense once you get past the initial load up.

Comment

Well, I'm getting beyond my knowledge of statistics here! So I can't defend my position any further nor agree that yours is necessarily 100% correct either. You bring up great points, but it just seems logical that more boxes serving content would create less load on each box. But maybe that isn't the case as you've pointed out. Maybe someone like Greg who knows the protocol can chip in and give some insight into this.

Comment

I guess that's why he can afford all of that hardware ...

Comment

Well, statistically speaking, the one benefit of a larger pool is that large fluctuations in usage are less and less feasible. With a very small number of users, it's possible to have a large portion of the population happen to order at once, whereas with a larger population, the usage is much more predictable and steady

Comment

Working...
                          X