Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Four vudu disappointments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four vudu disappointments

1) wireless

I'm not an IT tech person. I'm a normal guy without much computer hardware knowledge, meaning, I can run a computer, software, etc. but setting up wireless bridges with Buffalos and tomato firmware, etc etc. I'm clueless. So for me, setting up vudu wirelessly on my home network was a near impossibility. Took the better part of three days with two other people helping me most of that time. Finally with the help of a thread I posted in Tech Help was I able to get it running. Thanks to all that helped me.

2) set up time

Once the vudu was communicating with my network we still weren't able to rent a movie. It took the unit something like 12-24 hours to fully synch itself (?) with my network and download all the necessary stuff (?) for me to be able to rent a movie. This is no big deal but I would have preferred to have known this up front. It took a phone call to tech support for me to understand this.

3) selection

I just did a search for movies. I looked up Action movies from the 2000's that are rentable with at least 2 of 4 stars. 29 titles show up. Not quite the selection I was hoping for.

4) HD

No high definition yet available? That's the MAIN reason I chose vudu over an HD DVD player! It even says it's available (1080p) on the vudu website! Not to mention that the website says 1080p is available but when I hooked up the unit the best resolution available is 1080i. When can I expect HD???

Now... with all that being said, I think I still like the vudu unit, but I can't tell you how many times I was nearly ready to pull the plug and stuff the unit back in the box and ship it back. Hopefully things settle down, more titles become available, and HD comes soon. Otherwise it will have been a poor choice on my part.

Any input from the vudu cru ?

Re: Four vudu disappointments

In response to your issues:

1) Yes wireless is not ubiquitous. Most companies cannot afford to directly support all the possible wireless combinations out there. That is why we have these support boards.

2) You can start renting movies right away. You don't have to wait for a update. It takes a bit of time for the catalog to be updated from the network but nothing prevents the VUDU from renting / purchasing the content the day it is activated.

Remember that the VUDU's and other electronics are mass assembled with base images. It could be a month or longer for the box to be sitting in a warehouse while the database is alway being updated online. Just look at what happens when you buy a new computer. The moment you go online it downloads all its updates also.

3) The VUDU catalog is still growing. Personally I don't know how many action movies were released in 2000-2006 that rated in the 2 to 4 star category. But coming up with 29 movies sounds about right. You may want to loosen up on the search criteria.

4) Yes we are all waiting in anticipation for HD content. I do find the up-converted content is close to HD and I have actually done a comparison of the HD 300 to the VUDU's 300 and I could barley see any difference in the quality of the video.

I can't comment on the 1080p except that I know that they stated that 1080p/24 support was in the works. HD has many definitions in the market place today 720p and 1080i are still considered the standard when it comes to HD displays. This will be the first year that all the major vendors are supporting the 1080p specifications in their panels.

I do think you made the right choice going with the VUDU. I also have a HD DVD player to go along with the VUDU. Some titles I do like to purchase for the kids or things that I like to watch often I still buy the DVD and if it a HD DVD its a bonus. This is really true if you make one or two trips to the video store to browse movies. You just fire up the VUDU and you are ready to browse and rent..

Comment

I just have one thing to say about the HD subject. I also did a comparison with 300 on my HD DVD player running through the Xbox360 and 300 on the vudu. I thought that the Vudu version looked very good although I could see a difference on the HD-DVD looking a little better.

the second thing I realized is that 300 is not the best movie to test this with because the studio added to much noise to the movie and this doesn't let you see the clarity of HD.

I would like to see King Kong (the new version) on the Vudu so that I can compare it to King Kong on my Blu-ray player, then we can see how close to HD the Vudu really is

Comment

As Ron said we only suport 1080P/24. If your TV does not report this as a supported format we will not show 1080P as an option in the video settings.

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
          As Ron said we only suport 1080P/24. If your TV does not report this as a supported format we will not show 1080P as an option in the video settings.
          Hi there- does this mean that Vudu won't support other 1080p modes now or in the future? My own LCD panel (a Sony KDL-40XBR2) and many others I've known don't support 1080p/24, but do support other modes.

Comment

Originally posted by PlayWithGravity View Post

Once the vudu was communicating with my network we still weren't able to rent a movie. It took the unit something like 12-24 hours to fully synch itself (?) with my network and download all the necessary stuff (?) for me to be able to rent a movie. This is no big deal but I would have preferred to have known this up front. It took a phone call to tech support for me to understand this.
            As Ron pointed out you don't need to wait. Some movies may show up as "coming soon" while the update is going on but there should still be plenty of content available.

One thing about the updates is that they happen at a fairly low speed. While your network might support a download rate of maybe 3 Mb/sec or even up to 8 or 15 Mb/sec, the Vudu tends to download around 150 kb/sec. This is so that the impact on your network will be minimal.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
              As Ron pointed out you don't need to wait. Some movies may show up as "coming soon" while the update is going on but there should still be plenty of content available.

One thing about the updates is that they happen at a fairly low speed. While your network might support a download rate of maybe 3 Mb/sec or even up to 8 or 15 Mb/sec, the Vudu tends to download around 150 kb/sec. This is so that the impact on your network will be minimal.

Jon
              I was told by Customer Support over the phone that I had to wait for it to "sync up" for me to be able to rent a movie. I couldn't. It synched. Then I could.

I would hope that some of the feedback like this will help to improve future customer's vudu experience. Like maybe improve Customer Support (although THANK YOU for not routing me to India!), improving the set up / start up instructions, etc. After the headache(s) I've had setting up the vudu I'm happy with it. I'm not spending my time on here trying to vent, I just want my voice to be heard and hopefully things to improve as this product moves into the mainstream.

Best regards...

Comment

I was told by Customer Support over the phone that I had to wait for it to "sync up" for me to be able to rent a movie. I couldn't. It synched. Then I could.
                Hmmm...You shouldn't be able to rent a movie until your box is activated but that happens within seconds of entering the code on the Vudu activation site. If your box couldn't rent movies straight out of the box, then that's an anomaly. As for customer service telling you that - that's odd. I'll mention this to Gil, Vudu's director of customer care and let him know this.

The box does not need to be connected to the internet to watch previously purchased or rented product. So it should not need to "synch" either...

Comment

Originally posted by sirris101 View Post
                  Hi there- does this mean that Vudu won't support other 1080p modes now or in the future? My own LCD panel (a Sony KDL-40XBR2) and many others I've known don't support 1080p/24, but do support other modes.

We will only support 1080P/24. All movies are filmed in progessive mode (at 24 frames/second) so there really is no difference between 1080P/60 and 1080I (60 fields/second) on a 1080P display. Your Sony knows how to deinterlace the fields to back to a frame without any loss in the resolution. In the end all that the TV really receives are 24 frames per second of 1920x1080 pixels, no matter in what 1080 format the data gets sent over the HDMI cable.

For a smoother frame rate conversion (from 24fps content) than the 3:2 pulldown you need a 120Hz TV (or one of these Plasma TV's that can change to 72hz) which accept 24 frames per second. The high-end 120Hz TV's interpolate the missing frames, lower-end TV's could decide to simply repeat every frame 5 times, which is still a little less jerky than the 3:2 pulldown.

Comment

Finally with the help of a thread I posted in Tech Help was I able to get it running.
                    Would you be willing to share your approach and the solution, please. My linksys bridge still doesn't work with my linksys router.

Comment

Send me a PM on what you are trying to do with wireless...

Originally posted by maciejj View Post
                      Would you be willing to share your approach and the solution, please. My linksys bridge still doesn't work with my linksys router.

Comment

Originally posted by VolkerS View Post
                        We will only support 1080P/24. All movies are filmed in progessive mode (at 24 frames/second) so there really is no difference between 1080P/60 and 1080I (60 fields/second) on a 1080P display. Your Sony knows how to deinterlace the fields to back to a frame without any loss in the resolution. In the end all that the TV really receives are 24 frames per second of 1920x1080 pixels, no matter in what 1080 format the data gets sent over the HDMI cable.

For a smoother frame rate conversion (from 24fps content) than the 3:2 pulldown you need a 120Hz TV (or one of these Plasma TV's that can change to 72hz) which accept 24 frames per second. The high-end 120Hz TV's interpolate the missing frames, lower-end TV's could decide to simply repeat every frame 5 times, which is still a little less jerky than the 3:2 pulldown.
                        Thank you sir. This is very helpful information!

Comment

Working...
                        X