Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

I have just downloaded several television episodes that I purchased. Upon attempting to burn them to a DVD, I learned that they are nowhere to be found on my Mac. I contacted support, asking for assistance, and received a very short one-sentence response that they are stored in an "undisclosed file", and could not access them without the VUDU2GO App.

I purchased these television episodes, and should be able to burn them to a disc, since I own them.

How is this even remotely justifiable? We need to be able to do what we wish with the movies/titles we own, short of anything illegal. Since I own the shows I bought, I should be able to burn them to a DVD. I find this to be an unacceptable restriction; I simply wanted to make a DVD of the things I own so I could watch them at my grandparents' - downloading the app isn't possible, since they do not have internet.

Again, I own the titles; I should be able to burn them to a DVD if I so choose.
    This issue needs to be resolved. As customers, we should be allowed to do what we wish with our movies.
    If you're concerned about theft, set a limit for number of downloads. But this is not acceptable. by any means.

Re: We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

I am fine with it. We do own it, we just can't copy or burn it.
    This is the way it is supposed to be, and the way studios will support UV and digital purchases.

Comment

JaymieX,

I understand your frustration. However, all UV vendors have this requirement (playback via their app alone). Amazon Instant Video does too.

iTunes stores the files in your iTunes library media folder, but the file is not portable by any means.

All EST (electronic sell through) vendors have the model of which you have run into with Vudu.

If you are looking for portability via a compact disc, the only way I know of is to rip a packaged media, convert via Handbreak into which ever final format you wish, and then copy it onto your portable media.

However, I have found simply streaming to my TVs negates the need for physical copies. You may feel differently and wish to preserve a copy of your purchased EST titles in physical form. To me, that would be wasted effort, but I do appreciate that you may feel differently.

As far as ownership, the digital locker method is a pretty well established model due to the trail blazed from MP3 purchases. EST of movie industry content is simply an extension of the digital rights locker model already in place for other forms of electronic content.

If this model is not to your liking, you may wish to instead elect the purchase of packaged media from now on. Vudu only sells digital rights.

Comment

This issuie will be addressed when the Common File Format for UltraViolet is deployed. You will be able to download a standalone file of the movie and play it on a variety of players on a hard drive, network drive, USB drive, or DVD. Then you won't have to have access to the internet to play your movies. This is supposed to be launched later this year, but it has already been delayed from last year.

http://www.uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#toc3.2

Comment

Originally posted by JaymieX View Post
          I have just downloaded several television episodes that I purchased. Upon attempting to burn them to a DVD, I learned that they are nowhere to be found on my Mac. I contacted support, asking for assistance, and received a very short one-sentence response that they are stored in an "undisclosed file", and could not access them without the VUDU2GO App.

I purchased these television episodes, and should be able to burn them to a disc, since I own them.

How is this even remotely justifiable? We need to be able to do what we wish with the movies/titles we own, short of anything illegal. Since I own the shows I bought, I should be able to burn them to a DVD. I find this to be an unacceptable restriction; I simply wanted to make a DVD of the things I own so I could watch them at my grandparents' - downloading the app isn't possible, since they do not have internet.

Again, I own the titles; I should be able to burn them to a DVD if I so choose.
          This issue needs to be resolved. As customers, we should be allowed to do what we wish with our movies.
          If you're concerned about theft, set a limit for number of downloads. But this is not acceptable. by any means.
          Sounds like you meant to buy the physical DVD or BluRay version instead. Welcome to the new digital age.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
            JaymieX,

[...]

However, I have found simply streaming to my TVs negates the need for physical copies.
            Actually, I found that VuduToGo negated my need for physical copies. I have plenty of downloaded movies on my laptop and my iPad that I still haven't watched. (Although I have to admit that CFF would be a really big improvement, as I could use my 750GB external drive to store a lot more movies than I can fit on my laptop.)

And you can't use a DVD on a tablet or a smartphone.

Comment

Where is this Vudu2Go App? Vudu Player seems to be the only legitimate app I can find in Googles Playstore or in Apples App store and both have very low ratings. Is Vudu Player the app I would use to watch purchased content while offline? My wife refuses to purchase anymore digital media unless we can watch it offline; she prefers a physical library & rips everything. I prefer a digital library but I admit its useless when you don't have access to internet.

Comment

Originally posted by tbone View Post
                Where is this Vudu2Go App? Vudu Player seems to be the only legitimate app I can find in Googles Playstore or in Apples App store and both have very low ratings. Is Vudu Player the app I would use to watch purchased content while offline? My wife refuses to purchase anymore digital media unless we can watch it offline; she prefers a physical library & rips everything. I prefer a digital library but I admit its useless when you don't have access to internet.
                I agree with the last part of this poster's statement......I do not like any of the newer "cloud storage" type services due to vulnerabilities of hacking, cyber attacks, outages, etc......I have not purchased a lot of movies from VUDU lately.....I wait and trot down to the local video store when they are selling their BD's at 3 for $21.....I buy them and convert them to MKV's to put on my media servers.....CFF can't come fast enough for me, as my needs are very specific....I do not watch my films on a small screen....And some of the latest, $22.99 for Star Trek -Into Darkness, and World War Z? Too high for me without the ability to store them on my servers.....

In all fairness I can download the films onto my WD Live Hub, but I still have to be connected to the 'Net and go into the VUDU app on the Hub to view the films....That said, again, CFF can't arrive fast enough......

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
                  In all fairness I can download the films onto my WD Live Hub, but I still have to be connected to the 'Net and go into the VUDU app on the Hub to view the films....That said, again, CFF can't arrive fast enough......
                  The WD Live Hub needs a fast broadband connection to watch downloads. Someone at VUDU seems to miss the point of downloading your movies. I agree with you, I can't wait for CFF!

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
                    The WD Live Hub needs a fast broadband connection to watch downloads. Someone at VUDU seems to miss the point of downloading your movies. I agree with you, I can't wait for CFF!
                    From my experience, the downloaded files do play from the Hub's internal HDD, so a fast connection is not needed, just a connection for authentication purposes.....

Comment

Originally posted by canadien37 View Post
                      From my experience, the downloaded files do play from the Hub's internal HDD, so a fast connection is not needed, just a connection for authentication purposes.....
                      Believe me, I've played them on a slow connection, and it prompts constantly to let you know your connection is too slow to play a downloaded HDX movie. It makes no sense, but it's true. Others have complained on the WD site too.

Comment

Legally speaking, you NEVER own the content you buy, regardless of the distribution mechanism (dvd/blu-ray/est). All you ever purchase is a license to watch/listen to it.

For storage purposes, I personally like that someone else stores my media, with redundancy. If my hard drive goes down, my movie collection is not affected.

As others have mentioned, the release of the CFF should alleviate most of the grievances of those that wish to store/stream locally.

Comment

Originally posted by tsken02 View Post
                          Believe me, I've played them on a slow connection, and it prompts constantly to let you know your connection is too slow to play a downloaded HDX movie. It makes no sense, but it's true. Others have complained on the WD site too.
                          That is strange, because I checked a while ago, and while a downloaded movie was playing, there was very little network activity going on, in comparison to streaming directly.....It may have changed......

Comment

Originally posted by tbone View Post
                            It is actually a Windows (and Mac) program for use on a computer. It does allow for HDX playback of many titles.
                            You can find it here when you are logged in: http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

Comment

Despite the downfalls of digital, it does feel safer than owning the physical. I've been through a flood, house fire, theft, etc and grabbing your video collection ends up low on the totem pole. Especially when you only have minutes to grab anything that seems important.

Now, if my home burns down, floods out, or is robbed then my movies will be safe and easy to get back with digital. However, a hacked account or emp or whatever can just as easily take them away.

I just look at everything as temporary regardless of which format I use and understand the restrictions to avoid funstrations.

Comment

Working...
                              X