Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We Don't REALLY "Own" What We Buy.

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
    that is cool. Didn't know that. Thx.

For me, I am going in the reverse direction. I seriously can not remember the last time I put a disc into a player to watch a movie. Has to be going on over two years now, but I can remember the last time I watch a movie via UV. It was this morning.

I picked up where I left off last night on the first Blade movie while I was putting my socks on and watched for about ten minutes before shoving off to work.
    We watch a lot of UV movies...stream right from Vudu. But when we are traveling and in the kids bedroom we still use DVDs and will continue to until we have something with better parental controls. The real problem with everyone's parental controls is the NR rated movies. Many of the kids movies are NR, but there are also several movies that my husband and I have out there that are NR.

I suppose every family is going to be a little different...if everyone was the same then everyone would have been happy with iTunes and we wouldn't even have UV.

Comment

Originally posted by LuzRinggold View Post
      We watch a lot of UV movies...stream right from Vudu. But when we are traveling and in the kids bedroom we still use DVDs and will continue to until we have something with better parental controls. The real problem with everyone's parental controls is the NR rated movies. Many of the kids movies are NR, but there are also several movies that my husband and I have out there that are NR.

I suppose every family is going to be a little different...if everyone was the same then everyone would have been happy with iTunes and we wouldn't even have UV.

We have two young boys in our home. Parental controls is something that we use fear of loss of privileges to enforced instead of a technical solution.

With NetFlix, Amazon Prime, and Vudu, finding a way to keep up with the parental controls is really too much. The boys are growing up in an environment where they know they are not allowed to watch content that is not appropriate to their age. This seems to be the same with other children in their age group from what I pick up on.

In our home, the 13 year old boy has free reign to watch up to PG-13 content. The 8 year old only up to PG. Either needs permission to go beyond. If they are caught watching outside their limits, they know they will loose their electronic privileges and that seems sufficient to keep them in line.

That at least is how we manage it. Also, with packaged media there is really nothing stopping a child from taking a title off the book shelf and bringing it into their room to watch which is beyond their age limit. They do not because they know if they are caught, they will get into trouble. When we first went to streaming for content, I thought about it and decided that there is really no difference between a packaged media title rated "R" on a book shelf and an "R" rated title in our Vudu library.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
        We have two young boys in our home. Parental controls is something that we use fear of loss of privileges to enforced instead of a technical solution.
        I am not against what I call "the honor system"...but young children in a room all alone can mistakenly select a movie. It's like the internet. You can be doing an innocent search on a subject and wonder onto a site with either very bad language or nudity. Once a child has seen it or heard it you cannot undo that.

I see no reason why parents shouldn't have the ability to fully control their video library. I would love it if we could have control down to the device level. Then I wouldn't have a problem putting a Roku in both of my kids bedroom and set them accordingly.

Comment

I have bought many movies but can't save on my hard drive to take on a trip the way I choose to view what I paid to "own". Yes it says "own". So what does "own" mean? Well defined by most as "in possession of". So...since I have not read all the extra fine print (!!) perhaps they never said "physically own". That's what we assume because that's what we have been taught to own means. SO, back to own, if we cancel our subscription, them we no longer have the videos, so by that fact, no, WE DO NOT OWN THEM. In literal, we have unlimited use of them, SO LONG AS we maintain our subscription. That is so-o-o in ethical. Shame on them.

Comment

Did you really think you were buying physical disks as opposed to digital licensing rights? Digital licensing doesn't mean you get to make and distribute unlimited copies. Vudu provides plenty of ways to watch on plenty of devices, although sometimes offline viewing can be tricky, I'll admit. But there's nothing unethical about enforcing licensing restrictions that are clearly spelled out from the beginning. If that really bothers you, you may want to leave the computer age altogether, because you've already agreed to plenty of EULAs that are much, much worse. Or at least stick to Linux and avoid all commercial software.

And there's no subscription, so there's nothing to cancel. I don't know where you got that from.

Comment

Originally posted by conleysgallery@msn.com View Post
              I have bought many movies but can't save on my hard drive to take on a trip the way I choose to view what I paid to "own". Yes it says "own". So what does "own" mean? Well defined by most as "in possession of". So...since I have not read all the extra fine print (!!) perhaps they never said "physically own". That's what we assume because that's what we have been taught to own means.
              You certainly know all of the Terms of Service of digital licenses BEFORE making the choice to purchase one.

Originally posted by conleysgallery@msn.com View Post
              If we cancel our subscription, them we no longer have the videos, so by that fact, no, WE DO NOT OWN THEM. In literal, we have unlimited use of them, SO LONG AS we maintain our subscription. That is so-o-o in ethical. Shame on them.
              What "subscription" are you talking about? There are no services that require you to maintain a subscription in order to access your purchased titles as you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by JaymieX View Post
                I have just downloaded several television episodes that I purchased. Upon attempting to burn them to a DVD, I learned that they are nowhere to be found on my Mac. I contacted support, asking for assistance, and received a very short one-sentence response that they are stored in an "undisclosed file", and could not access them without the VUDU2GO App.

I purchased these television episodes, and should be able to burn them to a disc, since I own them.

How is this even remotely justifiable? We need to be able to do what we wish with the movies/titles we own, short of anything illegal. Since I own the shows I bought, I should be able to burn them to a DVD. I find this to be an unacceptable restriction; I simply wanted to make a DVD of the things I own so I could watch them at my grandparents' - downloading the app isn't possible, since they do not have internet.

Again, I own the titles; I should be able to burn them to a DVD if I so choose.
                This issue needs to be resolved. As customers, we should be allowed to do what we wish with our movies.
                If you're concerned about theft, set a limit for number of downloads. But this is not acceptable. by any means.
                I understand your frustration. However, you have to understand things from the studio's point of view as well. It's all about pirating. The idea is that there are anti-pirating features (I'm not entirely sure about what exactly they are called) on DVDs we purchase to prevent us from copying and redistributing the content. If you read the copyright on the box of a DVD, it clearly states that by purchasing the DVD, we have only purchased the rights to show the content at home for entertainment purposes (we cannot share the content in order to profit from it).

It is the same with content we purchase via Vudu, iTunes, etc. We purchase the rights to view it for entertainment purposes. The reason we cannot download and burn the content to a DVD is that we could theoretically then sell those DVDs for profit (because once someone has burned it to one DVD, what's to keep them from copying that DVD exponentially?). Without these guidelines, studios wouldn't sell their content at all; they would keep it to themselves and force us to go to them to watch it.

I understand your frustration, and it is valid, but unfortunately this is another case of the few ruining it for everyone.

Comment

Folks, this is a 4-year old thread.

Comment

Originally posted by GoDirectly2Jail View Post
                    Folks, this is a 4-year old thread.
                    Some of us realized that before you posted this the first time two weeks ago, but someone had similar questions to the OP, and so we were discussing them here. I would hope that the person who revived it read the original thread, which would keep us from rehashing too much of this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                      Some of us realized that before you posted this the first time two weeks ago, but someone had similar questions to the OP, and so we were discussing them here. I would hope that the person who revived it read the original thread, which would keep us from rehashing too much of this topic.
                      Even if thread necromancy wasn't generally frowned upon, four years is an eternity in a technology-based forum. Better to start a new thread than dredge up one that has stale info at best, or worst case, outright incorrect info (due to age), no?

Comment

Originally posted by GoDirectly2Jail View Post
                        Even if thread necromancy wasn't generally frowned upon, four years is an eternity in a technology-based forum. Better to start a new thread than dredge up one that has stale info at best, or worst case, outright incorrect info (due to age), no?
                        Eh, I can't argue with that, especially since one of the recent posts quoted the OP, from four years ago, and replied to it instead of the new comments.

Personally, I tend to prefer aggregation of like information, rather than splitting, because I feel a strong need to have my information organized. But that's just me.

Comment

It's all good, friend. To each their own I say.

Comment

Working...
                          X