Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

External hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: External hard drive

The licensing from the content providers does not allow it. I've been arguing for a "cloud" approach to movie storage for some time. Scatter my movies across the Vudus that are throughout the country. You hold part of my movie, I hold part of yours, etc. When you go to play, the movie just plays and streams live.

Distributed storage is really the way to go that makes most sense and it is most secure. But the studios won't allow it (or so I've been led to believe).

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
      But the studios won't allow it (or so I've been led to believe).
      But you don't really know do you Shultzy???

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comment

Ok I have two HDX rentals that are finished. I thought there would be some option to delete them but there isn't.
        I need to be able to delete them so I can purchase and download the Unleashed HDX title and rent another HDX title.
        There are only three more HDX rentals on that box that have not been watched.

When the 24 hour period from my two HDX rentals is up, will they be deleted automatically so I can add more content?

There really needs to be an option to move these viewed rentals off the box so I can purchase/rent more titles.

Comment

The main reason I'm concerned about the storage is for TV shows. Sure, HDX eats up a lot of space, but you at least have the option (and even once they add more titles for actual sale, still will) to rent those movies. All TV shows are 'purchase only.' I'm sure there's probably mention of it in a thread here somewhere, but I don't know how much space SD content eats up, so I've been hesitant to start picking up any TV episodes, even though I'd like to, as I'm afraid that the space will be an issue at some point if I bought a couple whole seasons.

Would I be wrong to assume that we're far more likely to see some sort of proprietary expansion unit than the option for user-chosen storage? It just seems that a VUDU-specific unit would be a lot more profitable & much easier to develop. If that wound up being the case, what would you guys think? Would you be satisfied by a $100, $150, or $200 VUDU Expander to double the storage? Personally, even though I'd like to be able to save some money (as I've mentioned elsewhere ), this is one of those cases where I'd almost rather pay extra to avoid compatibility frustration, to speed up development, & to bring in more people to the service.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
            When the 24 hour period from my two HDX rentals is up, will they be deleted automatically so I can add more content?
            No... That's the problem I'm having. Because of the extended rental feature (which is good), they hang out for a much longer time.

Comment

Originally posted by inconspicuous View Post
              The main reason I'm concerned about the storage is for TV shows. Sure, HDX eats up a lot of space, but you at least have the option (and even once they add more titles for actual sale, still will) to rent those movies. All TV shows are 'purchase only.' I'm sure there's probably mention of it in a thread here somewhere, but I don't know how much space SD content eats up, so I've been hesitant to start picking up any TV episodes, even though I'd like to, as I'm afraid that the space will be an issue at some point if I bought a couple whole seasons.
              So far all the TV shows I have purchased can be archived to the "Cloud". I haven't yet run into any space issues since I usually archive them after watching....

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                No... That's the problem I'm having. Because of the extended rental feature (which is good), they hang out for a much longer time.
                So then I'm screwed on that box. I can't purchase or rent anything without deleting my purchased HD content I want to keep.

They really need to come up with a solution for this. I don't want to have to move my boxes around just so I can watch something on my main setup.

At the very least they need an option to delete rented content after viewing it to free up space. I would think this would be a quick and easy solution to implement and would help until an external storage solution is available.

Right now this just makes no sense. I cannot rent(or purchase) any more titles on that box until the existing titles fall off the list.
                So basically my box has become a paperweight for new titles and I can't spend anymore money for rentals so VUDU loses out on this income as well.

And what makes even less sense, my only option is to delete titles i have purchased(I have already archived everything that can be archived)
                And once I delete those HD and HDX titles I can never get them back. Well why would I purchase them only to delete them? That makes absolutely no sense.

While I am very grateful for them adding the HDX content, they should have realized that this problem would occur and have had a solution ready to implement.

Comment

I believe so. Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

-- Greg

Comment

I'll check after I get back from shopping. The local mall( Potamac Mills) is opening at midnight for shopping so I plan on going there at midnight tonight for an hour to get some shopping done.

Comment

At the very least they need an option to delete rented content after viewing it to free up space. I would think this would be a quick and easy solution to implement and would help until an external storage solution is available.
                      Yeah, you would think. I recommended this feature because I love horror movies, but I don't want the posters for any recent horror rentals showing up when my daughter goes to extend the rental of "The Secret of NIMH".

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                        I believe so. Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

-- Greg
                        The rented content is still there. One HDX title was on an extension so when the 24 hours were up that title disappeared and gave me room to download Unleashed.
                        The other HDX rental was only in the first rental period and says I have 5 days to extend it. So it looks like it will be on the box for 5 more days until it will be deleted and allow me to rent more titles.

I'll probably try calling VUDU tomorrow to see if they can remove that rental title for me to free up space for another title I want to rent and have it waiting and ready so I can watch it sometime in December.

Comment

The rented content is still there. One HDX title was on an extension so when the 24 hours were up that title disappeared and gave me room to download Unleashed.
                          The other HDX rental was only in the first rental period and says I have 5 days to extend it. So it looks like it will be on the box for 5 more days until it will be deleted and allow me to rent more titles.

I'll probably try calling VUDU tomorrow to see if they can remove that rental title for me to free up space for another title I want to rent and have it waiting and ready so I can watch it sometime in December.
                          Thanks for the report. Check your PMs...

-- Greg

Comment

VUDU, Come on with some info please .. its clear that the USB connection can be used to drive an external storage space, its further clear you can lock it down and or lock down the movies on said external space via the auth card in the unit, So give us users some detail as we I am sure would all like to know that we have made wise purchases ..

BRW

Comment

I emailed VUDU support and the response said that they have no way to delete the rental from the box. So I have no choice but to wait until the rental that I've already watched falls off after the 5 day offer for extended viewing. I already watched it and don't want to extend it but there is no way to get it off the box.
                              Of course as I said previously I could delete purchased content and lose it forever but that makes no sense. Why would I purchase a title just to delete it? If I wanted to do that I would have only rented those titles.

Anyway hopefully all this will be resolved with either an external storage option, or future options to remove rental titles from the box after viewing.
                              But the current system is not allowing me to spend money on more content from that box.
                              So hopefully lost revenue is incentive enough for a solution to be offered soon.

Comment

I emailed VUDU support and the response said that they have no way to delete the rental from the box. So I have no choice but to wait until the rental that I've already watched falls off after the 5 day offer for extended viewing. I already watched it and don't want to extend it but there is no way to get it off the box.
                                Of course as I said previously I could delete purchased content and lose it forever but that makes no sense. Why would I purchase a title just to delete it? If I wanted to do that I would have only rented those titles.

Anyway hopefully all this will be resolved with either an external storage option, or future options to remove rental titles from the box after viewing.
                                But the current system is not allowing me to spend money on more content from that box.
                                So hopefully lost revenue is incentive enough for a solution to be offered soon.
                                If it wasn't for the rental being an HDX, there really would be no reason for Vudu to need to keep it on the box even with the 5 day extended viewing offer. It could just keep track of the offer, bump the movie off the box if necessary, and re-download it if you decide to re-rent it. That makes the most sense since I would imagine re-renting the same movie in that period is probably a realatively rare occurrence. They could even do it for HDX but you would have to wait the 4 hours again if you chose to re-rent it. I would imagine fewer people would get as upset at that as you are, justifiably, at the current situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X