Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Official VUDU Labs Support and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official VUDU Labs Support and Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Redbeard25 View Post
    We just need one more RIA for Vudu: Hulu.
    Hulu doesn't have CBS shows...

So we need a CBS interface too....I think the best site to interface to would be Sling.com. They have done a nice job of tying in content from all the sites...

Comment

Originally posted by wenlock View Post
      On the Logitech DiNovo try using crtl-a instead of the Enter key, this seems to map to the Wheel Click on most screens.
      Thanks, I'll try it!

Comment

Originally posted by wenlock View Post
        On the Logitech DiNovo try using crtl-a instead of the Enter key, this seems to map to the Wheel Click on most screens.
        This works for me too on the usb keyboard I was testing out. Somewhat better, but it would nice to see both return keys working in the future.

Comment

Is there any time frame on when we'll see additional features added to Vudu Labs? Even just more podcasts added to the ondemand tv section? I'm just trying to get an idea if we'll see something shortly or if we should expect to wait a long time to see any update.

Comment

I was just referenced to this thread from the "The Remote" thread under "Things I don't like about Vudu" as I was a little frustrated using the remote to search content in youtube via the on-screen keyboard. Given that the remote has no sideway keys it is little difficult to navigate this on-screen keyboard. If implementing a way to move the cursor sideways as I suggested in the "The Remote" thread is impossible then a remote keyboard might give Vudu users some relief.

My Vudu box is in my AV system cabinet and having a wired keyboard would not be convenient. As suggested here a "dedicated" wireless keyboard might solve this problem, but it will "probably" have to use the USB port with a "supported" USB dongle to create the wireless connection to the "dedicated" keyboard. One of the issues I see with this approach is that since the Vudu box has only one USB port it might conflict with having an external USB drive if and when this feature becomes available. I know that one can get a USB hub to attach more than one device to a single USB port, but again it might create conflicts. Also, drivers will probably be required to allow the dongle to connect to the keyboard.

Allow me to dream a little bit and assume that via Vudu RIA something like this could be added to Vudu box...

I think a better solution would be to add a little app server to the Vudud Box via RIA (when available) to support a remote keyboard client via Ethernet. This way the end-users can use their existing computers keyboards to interface with the Vudu UI and they would not have to buy additional hardware. They would just install a keyboard client app in their computes. I already have a laptop and remotes on my coffee table... I don't want another keyboard.

At one point I was very frustrated having to manage a bunch of servers via a KVM switch so that I could use a single keyboard and screen. Having all these wires attached to the switch was a mess and restricted my mobility. Then I found Synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/. This open source client/server app acts as a virtual KVM switch and allows one to use a single computer keyboard and screen to interface several computers remotely without additional hardware. Similar to Remote Desktop apps, but without the access security and all the bells and whistles. The complex part of this client-server server solutions is the graphic interface. Implementing just the keyboard interface should be a "lot" simpler as Vudu users will continue to use the TV for the graphics.

... Dream End.

Comment

The VUDU has two USB ports. One on the back and one on the side...so if you did use a wireless keyboard there still would be one free port.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                The VUDU has two USB ports. One on the back and one on the side...so if you did use a wireless keyboard there still would be one free port.
                Never saw the USB port on the side and none of the "diagrams" of the Vudu box that I've come accross points it out... but it's mentioned under "Connectivity" in the User's Guide. Is there a more "detailed" harware diagram that I can use as reference? I only see the back of the Vudu box from behind my AV cabinet... Thanks for pointing it out... good to know. Still, at least in my case, having the ability to use an "existing" computer keyboard is a plus. This way I can save a couple bucks and space on the coffee table. I already use my laptop keyboard, once in a while, to interface with the Vudu Web site. If there was a more convenient way to use the remote and the on-screen keyboard to search youtube and the Vudu catalog based on key-words it'd be good enough for me.

The other thing that I find annoying with the on-screen keyboard is that once you reach the top left or bottom right the cursor stops instead of wrapping around. If you have to enter the letter "A" and then the number "9" there is a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by paulrus View Post
                  I recently co-directed a music video and it was fun to find it on YouTube and watch it. (if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY8iLYB7Qv0 )

Also, any chance we'll see Vimeo support? It's vastly superior to YouTube in terms of quality. Paul
                  1) Were you able to watch the video using the HD version?

2) Were you able to see it full-screen on your HDTV?

3) Can you start the streaming into a buffer in VUDU while waiting to start viewing so the initial minute of video is perfectly smooth?

4) How smooth was the playback?

PS: VIMEO uses Flash not H.264 and limits the frame-rate to 25fps which means Region 60 video (30fps) has 1 in 6 frames dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                    The USB port would be perfect for holding your own H.264 content. Right now the Western Digital box is perfect for movies one makes. Export your movie as 720p30 H.264 to a USB thumbdrive. Plug the drive into the WD box and it converts your movie to HDMI. You get an IR Remote as well.

NO need to upload! NO streaming issues!

I'm really surprised VUDU Labs didn't include this type of application. I'd be happy with a function that simply auto-played the only movie on the thumbdrive.

PS: The cost of a thumbdrive is about that of a BD disc. And, for Mac owners who have no EZ way of burning BD, USB thumbrives are a perfect alternative.

Comment

The OnDemand feature is a definite bonus to the Vudu box and truly adds value (seriously, I'd buy a Vudu box for $100 if that's all does is play podcasts). I just have some questions about its future.
                      • Will we be able to add our RSS feeds of our liking? It would be awesome if Vudu could become my replacement for Miro. If not, could a forum be opened to suggest new feeds? For instance, one of my favorite video podcasts is "Pro At Cooking" (http://www.proatcooking.com). Its RSS feed is at http://feeds2.feedburner.com/patc. I also like a lot of the other TED talks not available.
                      • Would more than 15 podcasts be available per feed? There are lot of older episodes of SYSTM that I just can't watch on the box.
                      • Could we queue/download feeds to watch later? Again, functionality like Miro. Not all feeds are up to par with watching in real time as far as bandwidth is concerned, so I'm assuming they're not cached and the content is coming straight from the podcast servers. A lot of podcasts come out often enough that people are going to watch them on a daily/weekly basis.
                      • What if popular feeds were seeded? Most users won't realize why their favorite OnDemand feed isn't "on demand". I was thinking that some podcasters would rather people download directly for stats, but a lot of them actually prefer people using torrents because it costs them less to host. This would require a good amount of users to be worth the trouble, or possibly just the users "subscribed" would seed the podcasts they are subscribed to.
                      • What if popular feeds were cached? Same concept as seeding, except a little more centralized and would require less users. Possibly lower quality previews could be cached, or even just the first minute of the podcast to give it more time to buffer straight from their server. It's crazy idea and probably will be too complex to be practical, but I'm throwing it out there.
                      • Sync OnDemand with iPod? This is an off-the-wall idea, but what about a feature off to the side to pull iPod quality stuff and dump it onto the device when an iPod is plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Xtoff View Post
                        The OnDemand feature is a definite bonus to the Vudu box and truly adds value (seriously, I'd buy a Vudu box for $100 if that's all does is play podcasts). I just have some questions about its future.
                        • Will we be able to add our RSS feeds of our liking? It would be awesome if Vudu could become my replacement for Miro. If not, could a forum be opened to suggest new feeds? For instance, one of my favorite video podcasts is "Pro At Cooking" (http://www.proatcooking.com). Its RSS feed is at http://feeds2.feedburner.com/patc. I also like a lot of the other TED talks not available.
                        • Would more than 15 podcasts be available per feed? There are lot of older episodes of SYSTM that I just can't watch on the box.
                        • Could we queue/download feeds to watch later? Again, functionality like Miro. Not all feeds are up to par with watching in real time as far as bandwidth is concerned, so I'm assuming they're not cached and the content is coming straight from the podcast servers. A lot of podcasts come out often enough that people are going to watch them on a daily/weekly basis.
                        • What if popular feeds were seeded? Most users won't realize why their favorite OnDemand feed isn't "on demand". I was thinking that some podcasters would rather people download directly for stats, but a lot of them actually prefer people using torrents because it costs them less to host. This would require a good amount of users to be worth the trouble, or possibly just the users "subscribed" would seed the podcasts they are subscribed to.
                        • What if popular feeds were cached? Same concept as seeding, except a little more centralized and would require less users. Possibly lower quality previews could be cached, or even just the first minute of the podcast to give it more time to buffer straight from their server. It's crazy idea and probably will be too complex to be practical, but I'm throwing it out there.
                        • Sync OnDemand with iPod? This is an off-the-wall idea, but what about a feature off to the side to pull iPod quality stuff and dump it onto the device when an iPod is plugged in?
                        +1 on all the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                        X