Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

1080P or NOT! new user please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1080P or NOT! new user please help

When i rent movies, and once the movie has finished downloading, is the movie now on my box or is it live streaming from somewere?

If its love streaming, then does that mean if i try and download a movie while watching another, does it stop downloading and wait till im done watching the movie?

I have a 1080P tv but not 24PS, does that mean I am forced to downgrade to 1080i since my VUDU box only has a choice for 1080p/24ps or 1080I, which is very very frustrating and dissapointing, i spent 3,000$ a year ago for my panasonic plasma to watch 1080P!

thanks folks
    Jhonny

Re: 1080P or NOT! new user please help

Hi Jhonny, welcome to the Vudu forum!

Originally posted by Jhonny View Post
    When i rent movies, and once the movie has finished downloading, is the movie now on my box or is it live streaming from somewere?
    The entire movie would be on your box at that point. You could unplug the ethernet cable and watch a rental for the next 24/48 hours (varies by title). You can watch purchases forever without ever plugging into the internet again (probably not a good idea).

If its live streaming, then does that mean if i try and download a movie while watching another, does it stop downloading and wait till im done watching the movie?
    When you have multiple movies "queued", whichever movie you are actively watching is streamed until it is completed downloading, then the Vudu moves on to the next movie in your download queue, even if you are still watching the first. You pretty much have control over the whole process and can always watch what you want to watch first.
    I have a 1080P tv but not 24PS, does that mean I am forced to downgrade to 1080i since my VUDU box only has a choice for 1080p/24ps or 1080I, which is very very frustrating and dissapointing, i spent 3,000$ a year ago for my panasonic plasma to watch 1080P!

thanks folks
    Jhonny
    Many threads already cover this - try this one for starters http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=2392

Here's the bottom line, from the human eyes perspective 1080i30fps and 1080p60fps are identical - you cannot see the difference - it's beyond the capacity of the mind and eye. Just don't let the numbers distract you from enjoying a great picture - your viewing experience will be fine. Watch a couple HDX movies and you'll be fine.

Comment

Hey Jhonny,

If you'd like some more details on why watching a 1080p24fps source like the Vudu on a 1080p60 TV will look exactly the same at 1080i30 you can read all the math at http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoff...061080iv1080p/ .

This should give you a better understanding of why as far as movies are concerned "THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1080i AND 1080p" (bold content is an exact quote from the referenced article). A google on "difference between 1080i and 1080p will give you a few billion additional articles that will backup this statement.

It sounds like you have a great TV, and your Vudu will look great on it.

Comment

thanks for the prompt responce, so here is my next question, the HDX movies takes aroud 3-4 hours to download while the HD movies takes almost no time, so is there a quality difference on the movie since my TV does not do 24P?

whats the difference between downloading and playing back a HDX movie vs an HD movie if my TV will not do 24P? since I am forced to set the vudu box to 1080I vs 1080P?

thanks again..

Comment

The main difference between HD and HDX (and even SD) is the amount of compression. Here is my understanding of the process. The original movie is provided to Vudu in a format that is way higher resolution than all of the consumer HD equipment - something like 4320p if you need a relative comparison. At that point Vudu encodes the movie master "in house" into their proprietary DRM managed H.264 format. Depending on the level of compression, the digital copy is then classified as SD/HD/HDX. Any re-mastering is done by the studios before the master is turned over to Vudu for encoding, while the "upscaling" of SD quality content to 1080p24fps is done at the time it is encoded to the 1080p format. When the movie is played back in your home the Vudu player actually downscales it from 1080p24 if your monitor is not able to handle the full image signal (i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i).

My 110" projection system runs at 1080i, and I can see a difference between HD and HDX, but I have to admit that I've become so spoiled with instant viewing that I only get HDX on movies that I plan to watch far in advance and most of the time I stick to SD/HD. I think you'll be surprised how good the SD stuff on Vudu will look on your sweet TV.

The other big difference between HD and HDX is the sound, but you can only appreciate the difference if you have invested in a good surround sound system to match the quality of your monitor.

Comment

All Vudu HD movies are on 1080p/24 regardless of HD or HDX. So it makes no difference if your set is 720p, 1080i or 1080p/24. HDX simply has about twice the bit rate of HD. It's completely noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonny View Post
              whats the difference between downloading and playing back a HDX movie vs an HD movie if my TV will not do 24P? since I am forced to set the vudu box to 1080I vs 1080P?
              Jon and Ed can correct me if I'm wrong, but I use this analogy:

If you know anything about ripping CDs to your computer, you know that there are different bit rates you can use: from 16kbps to 320kbps. It's a measure of how much detail is being captured, and you're trading off quality for file size. Most people use bit rates in the range of 128-192kbps, but if you're a real audiophile and think that cymbals sounds a little "twangy" at 128kbps, you might use 224k or even 256k. Or if you have unlimited disk space, you could go with a lossless encoding. If you're real picky, you might shy away from iTunes or WMP and use LAME as your encoder, where you can do all kinds of things to make sure your digital versions of music live up to your standards - knowing that it takes extra time and effort (and file size) to produce your files. It doesn't take special equipment to play back, it's just that there's more detail in the digital file.

So to me - HDX is the equivalent of using the LAME file encoder for movies. You're being really picky about the specs, and you're not afraid of large file sizes. But you're trading off download time.

Comment

justin is correct. The only thing that the term "HD" is concerned with is a pixel count of greater than 1280 x 720. Vudu's "HD" content is all 1960 x 1280. Now, while you have this number of pixels, this says NOTHING about the quality of the pixels or the accuracy of the color in relation to the original source material.

Depending on the bit rate and level of compression, the quality of an HD piece of content can actually be quite poor. HDX is simply encoding at a higher level of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by NA9D View Post
                  justin is correct. The only thing that the term "HD" is concerned with is a pixel count of greater than 1280 x 720. Vudu's "HD" content is all 1960 x 1280. Now, while you have this number of pixels, this says NOTHING about the quality of the pixels or the accuracy of the color in relation to the original source material.

Depending on the bit rate and level of compression, the quality of an HD piece of content can actually be quite poor. HDX is simply encoding at a higher level of quality.
                  Minor correction: 1080p resolution is actually 1920x1080

Comment

Originally posted by Rusdude View Post
                    Minor correction: 1080p resolution is actually 1920x1080
                    Yes, you would be correct! My bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X