Announcement

Collapse

Vudu Forum Guidelines

Vudu Forum Guidelines

The Vudu Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Vudu experience. Here, Vudu customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Vudu and Vudu -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Vudu customers with questions and/or problems with their VUDU service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Vudu Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Vudu Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Vudu reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Vudu products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Vudu retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Vudu Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Vudu products and services should be directed to Vudu customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Vudu, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Vudu a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Vudu desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Vudu will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Vudu is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Vudu the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Vudu for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Vudu takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Have to give my Credit card info?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Have to give my Credit card info?

    I just got a new Vudu and during the setup I am told...

    Please enter your credit card information and select an amount. This charge will establish a positive balance on your account.

    Your movie purchases and rentals will be debited against this balance. When the balance is depleted, we will charge your credit card the amount you selected. This will automatically replenish your account.

    You can change the pre-set amount at any time by visiting your account page.

    Dudes at this point I am out. I can't even set this up w/o giving CC info?


    #2
    Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

    Originally posted by BrandonC View Post
    I just got a new Vudu and during the setup I am told...

    Please enter your credit card information and select an amount. This charge will establish a positive balance on your account.

    Your movie purchases and rentals will be debited against this balance. When the balance is depleted, we will charge your credit card the amount you selected. This will automatically replenish your account.

    You can change the pre-set amount at any time by visiting your account page.

    Dudes at this point I am out. I can't even set this up w/o giving CC info?
    This has always been this way and it made complete sense when you didn't get any free movies when you bought the box. It would have made no sense to buy the box and not establish the credit info since the box would have done nothing without it.

    I agree that it technically shouldn't be necessary due to the free movie promotion but you could cut them some slack for giving such a great promotion instead of bashing them for the mechanics of the setup process. I mean do you really intend to never purchase/rent any movies? Did you really buy the box with that intent? If it really bothers you I suppose you could send it back but that seems silly, unless you know of some other better VOD platform out there.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

      How else would you pay for content?

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

        Every VOD or similar I have ever used have ALWAYS asked for a credit card when you setup an account, including iTunes/AppleTV, MS Xbox 360, etc. I can't imagine anyone thinking they can setup a service where you are asked to pay for content, NOT asking for a credit card. That just makes absolutely no sense.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

          Well my guess is that Redwein hit the nail on the head.

          If you bought a product with a $200 movie credit, why would you have to pay $20 to watch your free movies?

          I also agree with Redwien, the situation is unusual because of the great special VUDU is offering.

          So now I'm wondering what happens if the credit card you used to create your account expires and you try to rent a movie???

          I would assume the VUDU box gives you an error message that your credit card is invalid and you need to update your account to rent more movies.

          Maybe if VUDU doesn't require you to provide credit card during account setup, this error message would be sufficient to get the user to do so after they run out of any potential credits they may have.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

            He didn't get a box with the free movies from Best Buy. But Brandon, how else are you going to pay for movies??? You have to give cc info at some point. Yes it's prepay but so is just about everything else.

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

              Originally posted by rstone View Post
              Every VOD or similar I have ever used have ALWAYS asked for a credit card when you setup an account, including iTunes/AppleTV, MS Xbox 360, etc. I can't imagine anyone thinking they can setup a service where you are asked to pay for content, NOT asking for a credit card. That just makes absolutely no sense.

              I do have a question that maybe the moderator pr someone else can answer.

              I purcchasd the VUDU on-line with an AMEX. As you say, part of the deal is $50 in mmovie credits in addition to the $99 for the box, $50 for the wireless and $9.00 for shipping

              My account indeed shows $50 in credits.

              However: I gave a VISA for my account set up. My Visa also shows that VUDU hit me for $50 in charges.

              Therefore; my account still only shows $50.00 in movie credits, not $100 ($50 on the AMEX and $50 on the Visa).

              I was a bit surprised, but no big deal unless the second $50 never shows up!

              Any thoughts or should I just call customer service. By the way, I have already talked to them once about the shipment, and it was geat to talk to a real person, not a recording or menu of options!

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                You should have 100 in credits if you set up a 50 refresh rate on your card. I would contact support on this.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                  Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                  If you bought a product with a $200 movie credit, why would you have to pay $20 to watch your free movies?
                  Two reasons...One is that at some point you will run out and when you do, I'm sure people will complain when they tried to rent a movie, they could'nt and they had to login, and how inconvenient that was... blah blah...furthermore, even places like iTunes requires you to have a CC on file, even if you have a gift card when your setting up an account. Now whether they should just verify your credit card, without charging you is a whole different subject, which is debatable.

                  The second is that companies that offer "ADULT" content are generally concerned about liability of giving content to minors that violate the law, and companies like Apple use that to ensure that those who have access to there service are indeed adults, or that at least have been approved by an adult, and the CC is a way to verify the person is over 18. So I don't think it would be hard to imagine that part of the reason for the CC requirement has in-part something to do with this.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                    Originally posted by rstone View Post
                    Two reasons...One is that at some point you will run out and when you do, I'm sure people will complain when they tried to rent a movie, they could'nt and they had to login, and how inconvenient that was... blah blah...furthermore, even places like iTunes requires you to have a CC on file, even if you have a gift card when your setting up an account. Now whether they should just verify your credit card, without charging you is a whole different subject, which is debatable.

                    The second is that companies that offer "ADULT" content are generally concerned about liability of giving content to minors that violate the law, and companies like Apple use that to ensure that those who have access to there service are indeed adults, or that at least have been approved by an adult, and the CC is a way to verify the person is over 18. So I don't think it would be hard to imagine that part of the reason for the CC requirement has in-part something to do with this.
                    All good points. So what about a compromise where you provide a CC but it doesn't initially charge your card until you rent a movie??

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                      Originally posted by rstone View Post
                      Every VOD or similar I have ever used have ALWAYS asked for a credit card when you setup an account, including iTunes/AppleTV, MS Xbox 360, etc. I can't imagine anyone thinking they can setup a service where you are asked to pay for content, NOT asking for a credit card. That just makes absolutely no sense.

                      Actually with the Xbox 360 you never have to give them any credit card info. You just use the MS points which you can purchase elsewhere for cash or credit.
                      But using a cedit card is much easier, even when puchasing points for the 360.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                        Originally posted by aggiesnlc View Post
                        I do have a question that maybe the moderator pr someone else can answer.

                        I purcchasd the VUDU on-line with an AMEX. As you say, part of the deal is $50 in mmovie credits in addition to the $99 for the box, $50 for the wireless and $9.00 for shipping

                        My account indeed shows $50 in credits.

                        However: I gave a VISA for my account set up. My Visa also shows that VUDU hit me for $50 in charges.

                        Therefore; my account still only shows $50.00 in movie credits, not $100 ($50 on the AMEX and $50 on the Visa).

                        I was a bit surprised, but no big deal unless the second $50 never shows up!

                        Any thoughts or should I just call customer service. By the way, I have already talked to them once about the shipment, and it was geat to talk to a real person, not a recording or menu of options!
                        I think this is a great question!!

                        Shultzy how does VUDU keep track and honor various specials and deals when registering your new box??

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                          Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                          All good points. So what about a compromise where you provide a CC but it doesn't initially charge your card until you rent a movie??
                          It's just $20. If $20 is a problem then I don't think that person should be using VOD of any type that is pay for play..

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                            Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            It's just $20. If $20 is a problem then I don't think that person should be using VOD of any type that is pay for play..
                            Well sure under normal circumstances. But what if you received it as a gift and had a $200 credit??

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Have to give my Credit card info?

                              Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                              It's just $20. If $20 is a problem then I don't think that person should be using VOD of any type that is pay for play..

                              Like I implied in my original question, I am not that worried about the
                              $50. However, if I had purchased the box at Best Buy and was due $200 in credits, and had set my limit at $100, then we are talking about missing $200 or $100 depending upon which one was dropped.

                              A bit more than $20, but neither would send me to the poor house. I want to see VUDU succeed. Period. THis could cause other customers to wonder whether they are going to get consistent service and value.

                              Now, my box has not been activated as it has not arrrived. This could be the reason the $50 on AMEX is not yet showing up. I thought it was worth bringing up since I think this type of offer/portal for home entertainment is the future - today.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X