Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

vudu should do more "free features" since we offer up our P2P bandwidth for service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vudu should do more "free features" since we offer up our P2P bandwidth for service

vudu should do more "free features" since we offer up our P2P bandwidth for service. after all, they are in it for profit, and we are paying for our internet connections, and its only the business class internet connections at least here in the city that i live in, which is a huge city, that offer *unmetered internet service* and well, thats too much money. AT&T dsl, is now currently testing, metered plans, which is spooky, comcast, those horrible people, who have no decent customer service relations, are exclusively metered, so with vudu, banking on using P2P to enhance, its users service, its only seems right that the end users see the benefit of their internet dollars

or at the very least, offer us cheaper rentals

todays economy is horrible.

i literally had to shell out $20 extra dollars, just because vudu didn't credit me my $50 in movie credits from the christmas special, which i am going to make sure they return to me.
    Last edited by bluedrop; 12-31-2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: saki

Re: vudu should do more "free features" since we offer up our P2P bandwidth for servi

I don't disagree that you should have been able to redeem your $50 without spending another $20. But personally I'm not sure if that was disclosed somewhere before or not.

As for your other demands as to what VUDU should provide: You did do some basic research on what you were buying before you bought it, right?

Comment

Re: vudu should do more "free features" since we offer up our P2P bandwidth for servi

Good news - more "free" stuff is coming in 2009 thanks to Rich Internet Applications. I think you'll enjoy everything the owner community is able to add to the system thinks to RIA - I know I already have some ideas.

Comment

I'm not promising anything, but I would point out that AT&T has been "testing" picture-phones since the 1960's, and so far they've never truly rolled them out. Hopefully they'll stay true to form and test metered DSL service for 50 or so years.

Comment

Even with Comcast's 250 GB monthly limit, I'll bet that the upload done by Vudu for other peers (remember you should expect to use your own bandwidth for the downloads to get the movies you watch) will be very small compared to that limit, thus not really "costing" anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
            vudu should do more "free features" since we offer up our P2P bandwidth for service. after all, they are in it for profit, and we are paying for our internet connections, and its only the business class internet connections at least here in the city that i live in, which is a huge city, that offer *unmetered internet service* and well, thats too much money.
            If only the world really worked like that, I'm sure my cell phone company isnt going to give me anything "Free" just because someone calls me, using my minutes. Nor do I think I'm going to get anything free from the cable company, just because they are using my cable line to tie other customers in the area into their cable system.

While I agree that VUDU's service benefits from our bandwidth, that benefit is also used for our own benefit as well, so it is not like everyone else benefits and we get nothing in return. We also benefit from the P2P network, and it is in our own best interest to participate, as P2P has some inherent benefits that streaming does not provide.

Comment

VUDU could do the same as Electric companies with Net Metering.

You get credits if you add energy to the power grid.

You get debits for using energy from the power grid.

Comment

So how much bandwidth are my three VUD boxes using on a daily basis? Approx 300kbs constantly 24/7. I'm on FIOS so I have no caps.

Comment

I disagree in the 300kbs constantly. I see from 12 to 300kbps. Only a couple days a week do I see my two VUDU's sending 300kbps per box and its only for a few hours at a time. I have been collecting bandwidth data on my network for over 3 years now and the VUDU's outboud bandwidth isn't much of a impact.

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                  So how much bandwidth are my three VUD boxes using on a daily basis? Approx 300kbs constantly 24/7. I'm on FIOS so I have no caps.

Comment

Originally posted by jleavens View Post
                    I don't disagree that you should have been able to redeem your $50 without spending another $20. But personally I'm not sure if that was disclosed somewhere before or not.

As for your other demands as to what VUDU should provide: You did do some basic research on what you were buying before you bought it, right?
                    It was definitely not disclosed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jokeysmurf View Post
                      It was definitely not disclosed at all.
                      Well I don't know if I'd agree with you jokeysmurf, when you select on the holiday special on VUDUs website, while you are correct it doesn't say next to the amount they will charge you more, at the bottom there is a link that says "TERMS OF SERVICE" which you probably chose not to read, and instead selected "Add to Cart." However, if you had taken 10 seconds to read the terms of service you would of seen the disclosure that...

"Per movie viewing charges, applicable taxes, and any other fees incurred will automatically be debited from your VUDU Service Account. Fees are payable only in U.S. dollars. Your VUDU Service Account will automatically recharge once the account balance is depleted by charging the credit card linked to the account either the amount specified by you and initially charged during the account set-up process, or a default amount of $20.00. We may change the fees and charges in effect, or add new fees and charges from time to time."

Should VUDU be held responsible for people failing to read the terms of service? I say no.

Now do I think you should of been charged $20, if you have credit attached to the box, as I said before, absolutely not. But to say VUDU never disclosed the initial charge is false.

Comment

This has been explained multiple times before, but you do get a significant benefit from having your box in a P2P network:

1.) Lower cost for Vudu to distribute movies = a more viable financial model for Vudu and makes it more likely for them to survive. Also = lower cost of movies.

2.) Faster and easier distribution of movies - Vudu suffers none of the buffering or waiting issues of other VOD services.

Your box uses little upload bandwidth in general. You won't go over any limits with its limited upload.

Also, your $50 will be credited once your box is activated - it may take a little bit but you will get the credits.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                          I disagree in the 300kbs constantly. I see from 12 to 300kbps. Only a couple days a week do I see my two VUDU's sending 300kbps per box and its only for a few hours at a time. I have been collecting bandwidth data on my network for over 3 years now and the VUDU's outboud bandwidth isn't much of a impact.
                          I haven't checked to see exactly the amount that is being sent but all three boxes link lights are always flashing like crazy. This only happens on my other devices when a decent amount of data is being sent or received. And Everytime I check the upload bandwidth on the VUDU boxes, it always shows around 330kbs upload. this is on all three boxes anytime of day I look.

I'm looking at the one in this room. It's fluctuating between 325kbs and 338kbs. It was the same earlier today, yesterday etc.
                          I have no problem with it. And maybe mine are constantly uploading because I have so much bandwidth to spare on FIOS.
                          But I'm just saying in my situation, my 3 boxes do seem to be uploading constantly 24/7. The only time it probably isn't is when I'm downloading a title.

I just checked my other two boxes and they are also uploading right around 330kbs.
                          They are always doing this every time I check the upload speed. If they only did this periodically, sometimes when I check it I would expect there not to be be any uploading. But this is not the case. They are always uploading.

EDIT. I see this one just went into screen saver mode and it stopped uploading. As soon as I took it out of the screen saver, the upload speed went back up to around 330kbs. I leave my boxes off/standby so they aren't usually in screen saver mode.

EDIT: It must stop uploading when it first goes into screen saver mode and then it continues again. I just checked after it had been in screen saver for a few minutes and it was uploading at the 330kbs speed.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                            But I'm just saying in my situation, my 3 boxes do seem to be uploading constantly 24/7. The only time it probably isn't is when I'm downloading a title.
                            be any uploading. But this is not the case. They are always uploading.
                            Thanks for the movies!!!

Comment

I'm wondering if aaronwt's observation is a matter of "bad timing" - yesterday they upped our catalog from 12,600+ titles to 12,800+ titles.

Typically the new catalog updates come out on Thursday, but for some reason (New Years Holiday ?) we got our catalog updates earlier this week. This morning I'm seeing zero traffic, and my network is sitting idle (upload and download).

Comment

Working...
                              X