Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Redbox Streaming shutdown --- what does it mean to Ultraviolet's future?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Redbox Streaming shutdown --- what does it mean to Ultraviolet's future?

Originally posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    I fail to see the point of this thread.

Redbox Streaming was AWFUL. It was panned by reviews and users. It didn't work, and failed. Happens all the time.

This means nothing to UV. Nothing.

Redbox Streaming entered a market they couldn't compete in, released a very, very poor product, and failed to correct and improve it.
    I wasn't the streaming issues for me. When I first got invited by Redbox for free streaming for a month, the selection was so bad that I didn't like any of the movies they had listed. Also, I already had Netflix so figured why get another subscription when I already have Netflix and they had such a much nicer selection.

Comment

Originally posted by lujan View Post
      I wasn't the streaming issues for me. When I first got invited by Redbox for free streaming for a month, the selection was so bad that I didn't like any of the movies they had listed. Also, I already had Netflix so figured why get another subscription when I already have Netflix and they had such a much nicer selection.
      Yes. That was probably the biggest complaint, and I should have clearified that in my post. It didn't have a decent selection whatsoever.

Comment

This is the perfect opportunity for UV to run some commercials. I'd like to see them do a couple like the Direct TV ads that are running now (don't get cable, blah blah).

For UV, they could do some "Don't Lose Your Movies" type advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
          Redbox Instant never offered UV capability, if they had, all their movies would be safe. I would also suggest that maybe they wouldn't have had to shut down, because they might have had more customers using the service if they had UV caoability.

Don't know if its too late, but vudu could step in and buy the customer's from redbox.
          Good news is the stupid RBI icon on my PS3 that I couldn't get rid of is finally gone.

Comment

I fail to see the point of this thread.

So no one made you take the time to comment or read it if it is such a pointless thread.

A lot of you are misunderstanding what my point is, apparently.

My concern wasn't WHY they went under.....

Think of the average person out there who has NOT gotten into UV yet, or one of the ones who absolutely hate it, and they hear about all of these people that lost movies they paid for because RI closed up.

These people are going to lump Ultraviolet into the same category as Redbox Instant, because to them, a digital movie is a digital movie...no matter who it is through. So in their minds, there is just as much a chance of the "Ultraviolet Locker" or any other service closing.

And you can scoff at their lack of understanding as much as you want, the reality is there are more people like them than there are people like us. Those are the people that UV needs to reach still to make the UV format hold up.

So the person who said they should take opportunity to promote the advantages of the UV format and make sure people know the difference, is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter-S_North_Carolina View Post
              Good news is the stupid RBI icon on my PS3 that I couldn't get rid of is finally gone.
              I fail to see what Runs Batted In has to do with this thread....

Sorry..it's baseball playoffs time! Couldn't resist!

Comment

Originally posted by stryperrocks67 View Post
                So no one made you take the time to comment or read it if it is such a pointless thread.

A lot of you are misunderstanding what my point is, apparently.

My concern wasn't WHY they went under? My point had ZERO to do with why that happened.

Think of the average person out there who has NOT gotten into UV yet, or one of the ones who absolutely hate it, and they hear about all of these people that lost movies they paid for because RI closed up.

These people are going to lump Ultraviolet into the same category as Redbox Instant, because to them, a digital movie is a digital movie...no matter who it is through. So in their minds, there is just as much a chance of the "Ultraviolet Locker" or any other service closing.

And you can scoff at their lack of understanding as much as you want, the reality is there are more people like them than there are people like us. Those are the people that UV needs to reach still to make the UV format hold up.

So the person who said they should take opportunity to market the hell out of UV and make sure people know the difference, is right.
                I understand what you are trying to say, but it just isn't a big deal. It's like saying well, HD-DVD failed so all HD movies are going to fail. Or, my local bank failed, guess I shouldn't use banks anymore.

I think you are overestimating the impact Redbox Instant had on the digital market. I am into digital movies and the frist I heard about anyone losing a movie with Redbox is from this thread. This situation is not going to cause any panic or concerns from the average person regarding UV. UV is setup completly different. Anything can happen though, and intelligent people understand that.

As you say, these people are going to lump UV with RI....where do the lump iTunes? Like you said, a digital movie is a digital movie.

I think if anything, it would be a positive for UV. Hey, if RI supported UV then you wouldn't lose your movie. I would love to see how many RI customers purchased a movie, not from credit or a free tile, but actually bought one.

VHS wasn't around forever, DVD's are slowly going away, blu rays won't be around forever. UV will probably change one day too, nobody knows.

Comment

I think you are overestimating the impact Redbox Instant had on the digital market. I am into digital movies and the frist I heard about anyone losing a movie with Redbox is from this thread. This situation is not going to cause any panic or concerns from the average person regarding UV. UV is setup completly different. Anything can happen though, and intelligent people understand that.

VHS wasn't around forever, DVD's are slowly going away, blu rays won't be around forever. UV will probably change one day too, nobody knows.

The reason you haven't heard much about people losing movies yet is because they haven't officially lost them yet. It's only been 10 days since the shutdown, and they are still telling people they are working on a solution. So people still have hope .

"intelligent people understand that" --- UV will never make it if they rely on just intelligent people. They have to draw in a wider audience. A lot of dumb people spend lots of money on entertainment ..

"UV is setup completely different" --- but again, a lot of the average movie buyers out there don't get that.

Comment

But you never lose your VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray. they can stop making them, but you still have that physical item and can still watch it. With a digital format, if the site you stream from goes away, you lose access.

Comment

As you say, these people are going to lump UV with RI....where do the lump iTunes? Like you said, a digital movie is a digital movie.

I don't, personally, run into many people who switched from iTunes to any other digital format, let alone UV.

iTune users are all brainwashed anyway, they only do what Apple tells them to ..

Comment

Originally posted by Capt-Cupcake View Post
                        But you never lose your VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray. they can stop making them, but you still have that physical item and can still watch it. With a digital format, if the site you stream from goes away, you lose access.
                        Good point...

I can still buy 8-Track Players, Reel to Reel Projectors, 8 MM Players, Betamax Players, Cassette Players, Record Players, VHS Players, etc etc

Even though they stop making a format, you still always have what you purchased (unless you break it).

There will always be a way to play any physical media you own.

Comment

The reason you haven't heard much about people losing movies yet is because they haven't officially lost them yet. It's only been 10 days since the shutdown, and they are still telling people they are working on a solution. So people still have hope .

"intelligent people understand that" --- UV will never make it if they rely on just intelligent people. They have to draw in a wider audience. A lot of dumb people spend lots of money on entertainment ..

"UV is setup completely different" --- but again, a lot of the average movie buyers out there don't get that.
                          I just don't see people who you say don't understand UV all of the sudden lump UV in with RI. So, the title of the thread, "Redbox Streaming shutdown --- what does it mean to Ultraviolet's future?" The answer is nothing. UV wasn't part of or avaible on RI, if it was, the people losing a movie would't be.

Comment

The hows and the whys of it are inconsequential at this point. And will some lump all digital movies together? Who knows. They might. Or they might not. But this I do know: Customers are creatures of habit. They usually find their niche and stick with it. It's not unreasonable to assume that they bulk of Redbox users are not UV users. Otherwise why buy movies on Redbox and buy UV, too? Isn't it easier to keep your collection together in a single format rather than have it spread out all over the place? The fact is Redbox had clients who bought non-UV movies from them and stored them in the Redbox digital locker. If Vudu turns around and says, "Hey, come to us. We'll convert all your Redbox titles to UV free of charge" they will only grow the UV client base. It seems like a smart business move.

Comment

I just don't see people who you say don't understand UV all of the sudden lump UV in with RI. So, the title of the thread, "Redbox Streaming shutdown --- what does it mean to Ultraviolet's future?" The answer is nothing. UV wasn't part of or avaible on RI, if it was, the 20 or so people losing a movie would't be.
                              I disagree. I think it could mean good things for UV. Bring that client base over here and it means that UV's future becomes stronger.

Comment

I just don't see people who you say don't understand UV all of the sudden lump UV in with RI. So, the title of the thread, "Redbox Streaming shutdown --- what does it mean to Ultraviolet's future?" The answer is nothing. UV wasn't part of or avaible on RI, if it was, the 20 or so people losing a movie would't be.

Again, it isn't about the actual people who lost movies....

it's about all the people who haven't gotten into digital yet that SEE those people losing their movies, and the fact that it may deter them from jumping onboard with digital.

Comment

Working...
                                X