Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Rapid Adoption of Streaming:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapid Adoption of Streaming:

I read a report that places like Vudu are seeing an 88% growth selling new release titles. Cord cutting is in the news a lot and it seems like the domestic consumer market is quickly adopting streaming as a method for content playback.

As someone who began collecting titles into a digital library about two years ago, it is great to see so many others start to realize it is for them too.

I had been wanting to digitize my collection for about ten years. First there were optical disc juke boxes, but they were expensive. Then there was client / server methods for playing back files. That was okay, but ended up being a black hole for free time with keeping things updated and working.

I remember hearing about Vudu about five years ago when they had an OTT set-top box and thinking that it was a great idea. After I found out about the D2D and DECE rights locker, the deal was sealed for me.

Finally, I had a way to:
    1. store titles in pristine condition on a cloud provider
    2. playback on mobile devices
    3. save-point retention
    4. fingertip access to entire library from any TV remote in the home

...and I haven't looked back since. Optical disc was not able to give me any of those. I became methodical in getting titles for D2D conversion as a way to bulk up my title library. I have built what I consider to be a pretty solid library of titles:

LINK:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I know there are lots of new people recently and was wondering what you like/dislike about streaming playback.

Re: Rapid Adoption of Streaming:

I am a much more recent convert. I tried some titles a little over a year ago and something just clicked. What started as a convenience for me as a frequent traveler became a go-to experience at home. The impact is really clear when I experience days like yesterday when our internet access was lost for most of the day.

Comment

thx for sharing. The reliance on it for me crept up when I realized no one in our home has touched a plastic disc to watch a movie in a very long time. Having the bookshelve space back too is a nice side effect.

Bummer bout the ISP issue yesterday. When that happens here, there is a collective groan that can be heard a block away.

Comment

My biggest issues right now are that things are not the same across the board. I understand that some retailers have differences in their available catalogs, but why are the same movies not the same encodes everywhere? When some retailers have a movie in high definition, a correct aspect ratio or UV enabled, and others don't, it can be really frustrating. Imagine if there were issues like this with Blurays..."don't buy movie A at that retailer, it will be lower quality than this retailer." That is just stupid.

Also, this issue with Disney making Vudu remove the 3D Maleficent purchases is unacceptable. If a mistake is made by a retailer and people purchase items at an incorrect lower price, it is up to the retailer to correct the mistake ASAP and eat the losses. That is horrible customer service and makes people's fears that their collections are not really "owned" all that more valid.

Price would be the third issue. Older movies in particular should be more in-line with their physical media prices. Why should I buy something at $13.99 when I can get it for $7.99 on disc?

I have a lot of other issues with UV as well, but these are the ones that really are unacceptable to me.

Comment

the price for the service is one I too have crossed paths with. I would never have adopted as quickly if it were not for the D2D program. I simply would not fork over full price for a title I already owned.

One guy I spoke to mentioned that Vudu cost too much for rentals. I generally agree with him, but how nice is it to be able to rent a flick by pressing a button from your bed while you are in your pajamas and your car is cold in the garage?

The price deltas though are an annoyance. I agree.

Comment

You are absolutely right about the convenience. I actually wish more indy films would take advantage of the same day VOD option rather than bothering with limited theatrical releases so much. I don't really have a huge problem with the price of the rentals if there was an option to apply that to a purchase of that title later. I would be inclined to use Vudu as a rental service if I could then buy the movies I like afterwards. As of right now, I have over 1500 titles in my collection, but I have never rented a single movie on here.

Comment

I think within five years we are going to see a huge boost in streaming and digital downloads. I install home theater systems as a second job and my clients ask more and more about streaming options ( their children are the ones bringing it up as an option). In fact clients ask me about their kids heading to college and what they can do to keep home theater costs down and the first thing I mention are Appletv and Roku boxes and how if the parents already have Hulu and Netflix then while in college that's all they'll need besides a fast internet connection or hotspot mobile device.

I've been reading articles where today's younger generation has no interest whatsoever in cable or Sat TV as they want to stream everything. I recall a clients 20 year old child calling me to thank me about informing her parents about Hulu and Netflix and how her parents are paying for that for her which is a huge cost saving from her limited income.

The current articles state that with more and more cable cutters it's going to force two things to cable and Sat companies. It's going to force them to provide ala carte programming to keep up or get left behind but the bad is major companies will also increase Internet costs to deflect the money they lose from cable cutters.

Every summer I head to a Audio/video convention and of course 4K streaming is most prevalent but how soon everything will be streaming.

Some of you wonder why I get down about Vudu and buffering problems I do this as I install and calibrate systems all the time and it gets frustrating when I tout services like Vudu and actually get clients up and running with streaming services and we test out Vudu and I get Buffering issues and then I have to explain to the clients how even though they have a 50,000 system with incredibly fast internet speeds they are still at the mercy of each provider and buffering is an issue with Vudu. I like to use Vudu as a showpiece as I believe they have the best picture and sound quality when it comes to streaming and every time I see buffering while showing a system I do a groan inside.

With Kaleidascope losing their legal battle with copying Blurays I feel Vudu is the best viable option for storing and streaming libraries. Personally I use Vudu strictly for my family to share as they are not wealthy but huge movie lovers so by having them linked to my account I can keep them updated almost every week with the latest releases and that is a blessing.

Comment

so the value loss from spotty access to the purchased content.

I can empathize. Since you have been raising the issue, I have been checking speed tests a few times per day. Every time without exception, I am pegged at nine.

The "Network Tips" section of the speed test have some basic trouble shooting that are sound in my estimation. You seem to have done all those and still see it reoccuring. I sincerely hope you find the root cause. I honestly do not believe it to be in the CDN Vudu uses to cache.

Vudu has been offering an OTT video service longer then anybody. Netflix streaming came after. Their methods to provide this service are industry standard, both from support and infrastructure standpoints, IMO.

Comment

I still prefer to have my physical blu-ray discs, but I like to have them in the cloud also. So for me, I buy the BR and it comes with the code for the same price or less than just buying the UV movie. If a movie is on sale for Disney DMA or UV, I will buy it. But otherwise, I try to buy the BR with the code.

I also like to have the special features that BR discs offer, and that is one of the biggest appeals for me to sticking with physical.

Also, I have multiple UV movies that have video errors in them, or wrong versions, or wrong language, or don't show up, etc etc... I refuse to go all in until they correct those issues. Which, even though I opened cases on them, and I was told they would try to fix them, not a single one has been corrected. Anywhere. Flixster, Vudu, CinemaNow, and Target all have different problems with movies. Heck, Flixster and Target have a Godzilla movie in my collection that I don't even own...yet they are missing the one I do own. And when I contact them, they say I don't have either. :P

Comment

I think when Amazon joins UV it will help a lot. They have a much deeper catalog than VUDU, and many more users, and it could persuade some studio's to add more movies to the UV system, and even TV shows. I will still use VUDU most of the time, because of their excellent D2D program, and DMA soon, but having another large provider could really help UV to become a widely used standard.

Comment

Originally posted by echopulse View Post
                      I think when Amazon joins UV it will help a lot. They have a much deeper catalog than VUDU, and many more users, and it could persuade some studio's to add more movies to the UV system, and even TV shows. I will still use VUDU most of the time, because of their excellent D2D program, and DMA soon, but having another large provider could really help UV to become a widely used standard.
                      Let's face it, Amazon would be HUGE! The problem is that nobody really understands what UltraViolet is and that you have to have at least two accounts...one of UV and one for a UV retailer to actually watch them on. Amazon joining UV wouldn't solve that, but at least they have an established reputation as an online entertainment source and people might be inclined to take the time to find out more. That's just credibility that the other UV retailers don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeGator6 View Post
                        Let's face it, Amazon would be HUGE! The problem is that nobody really understands what UltraViolet is and that you have to have at least two accounts...one of UV and one for a UV retailer to actually watch them on. Amazon joining UV wouldn't solve that, but at least they have an established reputation as an online entertainment source and people might be inclined to take the time to find out more. That's just credibility that the other UV retailers don't have.
                        Amazon, as a global e-retailer would be important. However, I feel they are just following the crowd. Video is not their core business.

Sony has dropped many hints that they are soon to bring playstation into the DECE fold. That is a service built specifically for the delivery of entertainment content. IMHO, a Sony announcement would have more meaning, even if their EST sales numbers are lower then Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeGator6 View Post
                          Don't forget, Amazon is not just a retailer of discs, they're also a big streaming provider via Amazon Instant Video, so they could provide both the digital copy and the platform for streaming your UV movies. If they can integrate it like Vudu did, so users can redeem and share on Amazon (and avoid the crappy UVVU web site), they could really kick UV adoption to Warp 10!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxH View Post
                            Don't forget, Amazon is not just a retailer of discs, they're also a big streaming provider via Amazon Instant Video, so they could provide both the digital copy and the platform for streaming your UV movies. If they can integrate it like Vudu did, so users can redeem and share on Amazon (and avoid the crappy UVVU web site), they could really kick UV adoption to Warp 10!
                            That's what I was referring to. Having an UV "instawatch" option for Amazon would get people's attention in ways that nothing else has so far. I love the Walmart/Vudu option, but if someone buys a disc in the store, they still have to manually scan the receipt. If you had the option on Amazon, the "average" consumer might finally begin to understand what Ultraviolet is really about.

Comment

Amazon has a larger share of the publishing industry, both print & electronic, then any other single retailer in history.

Their goal is to lock up a similar share of video, both physical and EST.

There is no question, they are a big player. It is interesting that WD-Studios elected iTunes as their first. GooglePlay as the second. The third should of been Amazon, but here we are three days from Vudu getting the third slot in interconnection to DMA.

Comment

Working...
                              X