Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Did Vudu just give up on UHD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CBrown View Post

Appreciate taking the time to engage and acknowledge the issue and customer frustration.

However, this part isn't at all accurate: "Unfortunately, many times things can go wrong from the technology, process, quality control or studio approval, or other standpoints that delay release. Unfortunately, more than you'd expect, we have no control over those factors."

I can't even image how quick our customers would have fired us if I or one of our account managers ever told them something along those lines. You have 100% control over your technology, process, quality control and most if not all of all 'other standpoints'. If titles aren't up due to any of those issues it is 100% on Vudu to fix the problem and ensure it doesn't happen again. If it is an issue where you are blaming the Studio for not giving Vudu the right video formats or doing so on time, that is still 100% on your team to correct the situation at hand and fix the issue with the partner that lead to it so it doesn't happen again. We are talking about titles that others have up and streaming that Vudu doesn't so any of these issues wouldn't be on anyone else but Vudu.
    As for the 'studio approval', the only semi-legitimate limitation as the only thing not 100% in your control, it is still primarily on Vudu as it is on your team to get the deals signed (deals that the others are getting done) that get the content here.

So call out the studio issues/negotiations, etc that you are working on. Hell call out Apple or whomever is negotiating contracts that makes things great for folks locked into their ecosystem them but ****ty for everyone else. Call out whatever the studio or other BS is that is making UHD streaming rights so different and f'd compared to HD. But please don't ever claim the cop-out that it is all due to not having control over the factors as to why competitors are selling and streaming UHD content but you're not. It isn't correct and really only would serve to tell people that VUDU can't be trusted to be a leader again as they are just a leaf in the wind while the others demonstrate control of their streaming business.
    I am not an engineer, but I understand economics and the consumer market so I am certain that Vudu wants UHD/HDR apps on every possible device in existence. It make perfect economic sense for them. So there has to be more going on behind the scenes here. Especially when you are dealing with so many devices and different operating systems. We have all seen there are so many internal problems with these devices without even adding in third party apps. I have learned to buy devices with the features I need and want, without the expectation of future upgrades. If they come great! But as long as I get what was advertised, it is healthier for me to be happy with what I have and expect for it to work as advertised. Now if it doesn't, then that is when I will get engaged. I have soured on Smart TV's because of the limitations and obsolescence that eventually occurs. I would like to see the market move to non-smart panels and just rely on third party devices.

Comment

Originally posted by CBrown View Post

Appreciate taking the time to engage and acknowledge the issue and customer frustration.

However, this part isn't at all accurate: "Unfortunately, many times things can go wrong from the technology, process, quality control or studio approval, or other standpoints that delay release. Unfortunately, more than you'd expect, we have no control over those factors."

I can't even image how quick our customers would have fired us if I or one of our account managers ever told them something along those lines. You have 100% control over your technology, process, quality control and most if not all of all 'other standpoints'. If titles aren't up due to any of those issues it is 100% on Vudu to fix the problem and ensure it doesn't happen again. If it is an issue where you are blaming the Studio for not giving Vudu the right video formats or doing so on time, that is still 100% on your team to correct the situation at hand and fix the issue with the partner that lead to it so it doesn't happen again. We are talking about titles that others have up and streaming that Vudu doesn't so any of these issues wouldn't be on anyone else but Vudu.
      As for the 'studio approval', the only semi-legitimate limitation as the only thing not 100% in your control, it is still primarily on Vudu as it is on your team to get the deals signed (deals that the others are getting done) that get the content here.

So call out the studio issues/negotiations, etc that you are working on. Hell call out Apple or whomever is negotiating contracts that makes things great for folks locked into their ecosystem them but ****ty for everyone else. Call out whatever the studio or other BS is that is making UHD streaming rights so different and f'd compared to HD. But please don't ever claim the cop-out that it is all due to not having control over the factors as to why competitors are selling and streaming UHD content but you're not. It isn't correct and really only would serve to tell people that VUDU can't be trusted to be a leader again as they are just a leaf in the wind while the others demonstrate control of their streaming business.
      I am as frustrated as you with how messy the UHD redemption system is, I have lost out on several UHD redemptions because I didn't do them the right way. There is an entire skill set that must be learned that is studio and provider dependent. I would really like to see the studios and streaming providers clean this up so there is no ambiguity and spreadsheets required.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

It's not about HDR support - the current Vudu app on Sony TVs is not an Android TV app, it's a "native" app built into the firmware. This native app will be removed and replaced with the Android TV app, but of course this requires new firmware. This was planned for February, but apparently has been delayed. We are now evaluating ways to get the new app out to customers ASAP while providing a good customer experience. We want this out as much as you do!
        Thank you for that update Jake. I have a 2016 Sony Android TV and was wondering what the issue was. I am inpatient though so I just went and picked up a Roku Ultra which is working perfectly for UHD/HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotor29 View Post

I am not an engineer, but I understand economics and the consumer market so I am certain that Vudu wants UHD/HDR apps on every possible device in existence. It make perfect economic sense for them. So there has to be more going on behind the scenes here. Especially when you are dealing with so many devices and different operating systems. We have all seen there are so many internal problems with these devices without even adding in third party apps. I have learned to buy devices with the features I need and want, without the expectation of future upgrades. If they come great! But as long as I get what was advertised, it is healthier for me to be happy with what I have and expect for it to work as advertised. Now if it doesn't, then that is when I will get engaged. I have soured on Smart TV's because of the limitations and obsolescence that eventually occurs. I would like to see the market move to non-smart panels and just rely on third party devices.
          He isn't talking about the devices really, he's talking about the content issues. We keep being told that things are beyond their control and that the studios are at fault. The issue with that comment is that other streaming providers don't have this issue, they are able to get content quickly and get content rights. I have several issues with Vudu at the moment just getting the proper episodes I paid for in a season pass, they blame the studio, but meanwhile every single provider has it except Vudu. It's been weeks and no resolution.

If there are issues with content delivery, licensing etc, then it's important as a company to ensure that these issues do not continue to occur. Vudu has been better at posting more UHD content since this thread popped up, but I like many others want to see Vudu also accepting responsibility and not placing the blame on the studio. If the studios were truly at fault, it makes you wonder what they have against Vudu, that they deliver content to every other provider just fine.

I will continue to support Vudu if given the choice of buying here vs there, but the point of this thread was to say that I won't be buying HDX content when UHD is readily available elsewhere. I want to be able to buy all my movies here, but how can I buy HDX when I can buy 4K elsewhere and get Movies Anywhere rights for 4K once Vudu eventually gets it. They may not be realizing how much money they are missing out on by not prioritizing licensing deals. We want to buy from Vudu, but are often not given the choice unless we accept a lower resolution that they will never upgrade once they get 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by VuduAddict View Post

He isn't talking about the devices really, he's talking about the content issues. We keep being told that things are beyond their control and that the studios are at fault. The issue with that comment is that other streaming providers don't have this issue, they are able to get content quickly and get content rights. I have several issues with Vudu at the moment just getting the proper episodes I paid for in a season pass, they blame the studio, but meanwhile every single provider has it except Vudu. It's been weeks and no resolution.

If there are issues with content delivery, licensing etc, then it's important as a company to ensure that these issues do not continue to occur. Vudu has been better at posting more UHD content since this thread popped up, but I like many others want to see Vudu also accepting responsibility and not placing the blame on the studio. If the studios were truly at fault, it makes you wonder what they have against Vudu, that they deliver content to every other provider just fine.

I will continue to support Vudu if given the choice of buying here vs there, but the point of this thread was to say that I won't be buying HDX content when UHD is readily available elsewhere. I want to be able to buy all my movies here, but how can I buy HDX when I can buy 4K elsewhere and get Movies Anywhere rights for 4K once Vudu eventually gets it. They may not be realizing how much money they are missing out on by not prioritizing licensing deals. We want to buy from Vudu, but are often not given the choice unless we accept a lower resolution that they will never upgrade once they get 4K.
            I am as frustrated as you with how choppy and inconsistent things have been. It really needs to be sorted out. A person almost has too take a course on redemptions to do them properly. I am of the opinion that, at a minimum, the version of the disc you buy should have a matching digital quality. Even though I do hope that at some point, all digital content is upgraded to 4K. Wouldn't that simplify things for the providers and customers?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

It's not about HDR support - the current Vudu app on Sony TVs is not an Android TV app, it's a "native" app built into the firmware. This native app will be removed and replaced with the Android TV app, but of course this requires new firmware. This was planned for February, but apparently has been delayed. We are now evaluating ways to get the new app out to customers ASAP while providing a good customer experience. We want this out as much as you do!
              Are you talking about the recently released PKG6.2818.0075NAA firmware (https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d..._group_id=18)? That was only delayed in Europe. It was released in the United States in January, though Sony appears to have stopped pushing it out via auto-update and now requires users to download it.

That update doesn't add support for Android O and Sony has no plans to do so for their 2017 TVs. The 2017 TVs already have Android N.

As for requiring a firmware update to replace a "native" app with one from the Google Play store, I don't believe that requires a firmware update. My Sony TV came with a built-in Sony PSN Video app that I replaced with one I downloaded from the Google Play app store. There's no technical reason why the Vudu app can't do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotor29 View Post

I am as frustrated as you with how choppy and inconsistent things have been. It really needs to be sorted out. A person almost has too take a course on redemptions to do them properly. I am of the opinion that, at a minimum, the version of the disc you buy should have a matching digital quality. Even though I do hope that at some point, all digital content is upgraded to 4K. Wouldn't that simplify things for the providers and customers?
                If it's too complicated for us, just imagine what it's like for someone wanting to enter the digital market.

I have no idea why no other provider has matched ITunes upgrades, but I have to believe it's because they don't view UHD as a high priority. There are probably a few reasons for this. Blu ray sales may be down, but they are still performing well when compared to 4K discs and digital downloads, so other providers may feel that the market for HD quality is still robust.

Another reason may be that UHD content is still fairly limited to mostly a handful of new releases. Remastered catalogue titles have been few and far between. Additionally, television has become more popular than ever, even as moviegoing attendance continues to decline, and has been exceptionally slow at adopting UHD. I can't think of any show on a major network or cable that been released in 4K except for Breaking Bad and Westworld.

Still, I think customers should demand an upgrade option at the very least because quite honestly, UHD won't succeed in getting the vast majority of customers to upgrade their catalogue titles for full price. What it can do is provide an incentive to purchase titles they don't already have, or give them reason to upgrade their hardware, which is what Apple and the studios are banking on. Digital customers who have already invested in growing their video libraries will continue to invest in new releases even at a slightly higher cost. New releases are the biggest driver for sales anyway with collectors forming a more niche market.

To be fair to Vudu, they still provide a much better customer experience compared to Amazon or Google. Amazon, in particular, uses their service primarily for showcasing their prime content. They also don't list UHD as an upgrade option on the main movie page. Instead all their UHD titles are relegated to a separate storefront, which they don't advertise very well. They also don't seem interested in streamlining their web interface to make it easier for customers to sort their video collections.

Comment

We can only vote with our dollars. I have bought several movies on Itunes recently that the money would have gone to Vudu if they would have had UHD. They aren't really giving us much choice. They can't expect us to wait on nearly every new release for them to catch up with competitors. As you can see by my join date and post count I have been with Vudu since the beginning of UV. If they are pushing people like me to competitors, imagine the new digital users they are losing.

Comment

Yes to all this.
                    Kotor29 -Sorry for not being more clear that I was speaking to the comments in regards to the ongoing UHD content availability inconsistency issues, not about device-specific apps.

Comment

Ugh. Seriously Vudu? No Amazing Spiderman? c'mon!!!

Comment

Vudu just continues to lose money from me as a customer by not having titles that are on other sites in 4K.

I recognize that, for whatever reason, they don't have a deal with Fox for UHD. That means I bought THE SHAPE OF WATER and MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS on iTunes.

They usually have Universal/Focus titles, but DARKEST HOUR has been UHD on iTunes and Fandango for weeks. Still nothing on Vudu. Same with the PITCH PERFECT trilogy (although iTunes doesn't have this yet either - only Fandango). Pre-ordered PHANTOM THREAD on Fandango because the lack of DARKEST HOUR makes me think it's not gonna be 4K here either.

Have also recently bought THE DARK CRYSTAL and TAXI DRIVER on iTunes because they aren't 4K here.

Vudu used to be my go-to digital site, but not anymore (and I say that as a person with nearly 900 movies in my library here.

Comment

Vudu needs to push Roku to add Dolby vision support (Ultras,streaming sticks) to compete with Apple or create their own new revised vudu streaming stick with 4k DV/HDR....I'am getting impatient waiting for my Sony Oled to receive a Vudu Dv app support and apple tv4k is getting more enticing by the day...You can only be so loyal for so long.

Comment

Please add Batman By Gaslight UHD, again Vudu is the only provider that doesn?t have it.

Comment

VUDU has improved tremendously on providing new release UHD content, and a few surprise catalog releases. I hope we start seeing more catalog support, it seems Universal Studios only supports HDR10 now, but you did get The Incredible Hulk.

I have noticed that Lionsgate UHD new release support was available for a bit, but seems to have stopped since Wonder. Hopefully VUDU can acquire UHD transfers for The Commuter and Hostiles for example. I definitely want these movies, but will be passing until they are available for purchase in 4K on VUDU. We don't get free upgrades later, so I'd prefer to only pay once for these movies.

Last, but not least, hopefully VUDU marketing is also able to realize all the potentially lost sales from lack of Fox UHD content. I'd rather buy from VUDU, but I"m forced to buy from iTunes to get 4K rights, and then they port in HD to VUDU anyway for the same price. It would be a lot better if we could just buy their UHD content here and support VUDU instead.

Comment

VUDU has improved tremendously on providing new release UHD content, and a few surprise catalog releases. I hope we start seeing more catalog support, it seems Universal Studios only supports HDR10 now, but you did get The Incredible Hulk.

I have noticed that Lionsgate UHD new release support was available for a bit, but seems to have stopped since Wonder. Hopefully VUDU can acquire UHD transfers for The Commuter and Hostiles for example. I definitely want these movies, but will be passing until they are available for purchase in 4K on VUDU. We don't get free upgrades later, so I'd prefer to only pay once for these movies.

Last, but not least, hopefully VUDU marketing is also able to realize all the potentially lost sales from lack of Fox UHD content. I'd rather buy from VUDU, but I"m forced to buy from iTunes to get 4K rights, and then they port in HD to VUDU anyway for the same price. It would be a lot better if we could just buy their UHD content here and support VUDU instead.
                                Im also hoping to see Commuter 4k on Vudu, considering Jigsaw and Wonder were added, there is hope!

Comment

Working...
                                X