Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Returned my Box -- but I Hope to be Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returned my Box -- but I Hope to be Back

Hi...

As the most prolific posters here know, I've been plagued with an audio incompatibility problem since buying my Vudu box....no digital audio through my Denon receiver.

Vudu support has been excellent! They tried like hell to find a fix, but so far haven't. I respect them for an amazing amount of individual attention...that's unheard of! Standing O, gentlemen.

And another ovation for the forum members...patient, involved and extremely smart. How many times did we troubleshoot my audio troubles? About two dozen, I think!

But since I was approaching the end of the 30-day return period at Best Buy, I returned it. Just in case a fix never happened.

Besides the audio, though, I must admit I was often frustrated by the 'roll of the dice' with movie titles...some were in SD, some in HD, some in HDX. Some were for rent, some for purchase. Some for purchase in SD only, while the BluRay version was on the store shelf. I know this is not Vudu's fault! This is the movie studios...but still, like many here, I found that it was a drag.

I'll be back, either when I get a new AV receiver, or when Vudu somehow fixes the audio incompatibility. When I do, I'll probably get the rack-mounted version with the bigger HDD.

But for now, I'll just have to make do, with OTA HD, FIOS HD, two Tivo S3's, each with 1TB of storage, and the Verizon FIOS Home Media HD DVR, with on-demand HD. Oh, and a BluRay player, DVD player and PC connected via VGA. I guess I'll make it through...lol

Thanks for everything!

HD_Dude

Re: Returned my Box -- but I Hope to be Back

Originally posted by HD_Dude View Post
    But for now, I'll just have to make do, with OTA HD, FIOS HD, two Tivo S3's, each with 1TB of storage, and the Verizon FIOS Home Media HD DVR, with on-demand HD. Oh, and a BluRay player, DVD player and PC connected via VGA. I guess I'll make it through...lol

Thanks for everything!

HD_Dude
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's good Vudu offers the 30 day return policy. I'm curious about the Verizon FIOS HD though. I was at my sister's house outside of Philadelphia and she has that. We tried to find a movie to watch but found the interface worse than abysmal. I suppose if you knew exactly what movie you wanted to watch it would have been ok but for 3 people to try to browse and select something was impossible. Thus we gave up and watched normal TV. My question is, is this the same for all Verizon FIOS on demand users? Were we doing something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
      Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's good Vudu offers the 30 day return policy. I'm curious about the Verizon FIOS HD though. I was at my sister's house outside of Philadelphia and she has that. We tried to find a movie to watch but found the interface worse than abysmal. I suppose if you knew exactly what movie you wanted to watch it would have been ok but for 3 people to try to browse and select something was impossible. Thus we gave up and watched normal TV. My question is, is this the same for all Verizon FIOS on demand users? Were we doing something wrong?
      Well, the FIOS box is no Vudu.

And there are lots of variables here...was the box enabled for premium channels or not, was the subscriber upgraded to HD Extreme or not, that sort of thing.

And yes, the interface is -- yuk.

But, I can hit 'On Demand,' then go to HD, and find lots of choices...movies are $5.99 if they're first-run, 'free' if they're in your premium channel lineup.

Alternatively, you can go to 'Broadcast HD' for network offerings, or right to 'Premium Services' and then to Starz, then Starz HD...etc.

One word of advice...if you ever push the 'watch now' button and nothing happens, just wait. It can take a few seconds for the order to register, and come back.

PQ? The FIOS PQ is excellent. Straight into my Sony XBR w/cablecard it's studio-reference quality. Via the Tivo S3's, it's excellent. And via the FIOS STB it's really good...in that order.

I'm not a STB fan, but it's an alternative. That's all.

Good luck!

Comment

What is the Denon 5700 receiver?

I've used multiple VUDUs with a Denon 3806 and a Denon 3808 receiver without any problems.

And also you mention the FIOS HD DVR and VOD. You can save some money by just getting the FIOS HD STB for HD VOD. This is what I use. I use my TiVos for recording HD content from FIOS and OTA, and my FIOS HD STB for HD VOD. The HD STB is a few dollars less a month than the HD DVR and you don't need a DVR to view Video On Demand on FIOS.
        Originally posted by HD_Dude View Post
        Hi...

As the most prolific posters here know, I've been plagued with an audio incompatibility problem since buying my Vudu box....no digital audio through my Denon receiver.

Vudu support has been excellent! They tried like hell to find a fix, but so far haven't. I respect them for an amazing amount of individual attention...that's unheard of! Standing O, gentlemen.

And another ovation for the forum members...patient, involved and extremely smart. How many times did we troubleshoot my audio troubles? About two dozen, I think!

But since I was approaching the end of the 30-day return period at Best Buy, I returned it. Just in case a fix never happened.

Besides the audio, though, I must admit I was often frustrated by the 'roll of the dice' with movie titles...some were in SD, some in HD, some in HDX. Some were for rent, some for purchase. Some for purchase in SD only, while the BluRay version was on the store shelf. I know this is not Vudu's fault! This is the movie studios...but still, like many here, I found that it was a drag.

I'll be back, either when I get a new AV receiver, or when Vudu somehow fixes the audio incompatibility. When I do, I'll probably get the rack-mounted version with the bigger HDD.

Thanks for everything!

HD_Dude

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
          The HD STB is a few dollars less a month than the HD DVR and you don't need a DVR to view Video On Demand on FIOS.
          Of course the Tivos are an extra expense (purchase price + monthly fee or lifetime subscription). I think it's worth it but I'll bet it doesn't save you money over the FIOS DVR.

Comment

Of course the Tivos are an extra expense (purchase price + monthly fee or lifetime subscription). I think it's worth it but I'll bet it doesn't save you money over the FIOS DVR.

(I either have a lifetime subscription or I pay a monthly $6.95 fee)
            If FIOS gave me the DVRs for free and paid my monthly $250 FIOS bill(50/20 INTERNET, cell phone, and TV) for the rest of my life, I would still turn that offer down. The FIOS DVR doesn't come close to the TiVo. Even if FIOS offered me all that, I would not use their DVR. And the Comcast DVR in my area(Scientific Atlanta) is even worse than the FIOS Motorola DVR.

I currently have seven TiVos( three series 3 and four TiVo HD boxes)(three with 1TB drives, three with 750GB drives and one with a 500GB drive) I have four connected to FIOS and three on OTA only. For me using the TiVo is not about money. I bought my first few TiVos back in 2001 and have no desire to use anything else. Although if something better came along I would consider it, but there is nothing better out there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
              Although if something better came along I would consider it, but there is nothing better out there right now.
              Directv DVR!!!

(you can record OTA with it too)

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                Directv DVR!!!

(you can record OTA with it too)
                Ha ha. That's why DirecTV is going back to Tivo to stop the customer defections (like me). I can't find any favorable comparisons of the DirecTV DVR to Tivo. I think DirecTV made a mistake when they got away from the DirecTivo approach.

Comment

Ha ha. That's why DirecTV is going back to Tivo to stop the customer defections (like me). I can't find any favorable comparisons of the DirecTV DVR to Tivo. I think DirecTV made a mistake when they got away from the DirecTivo approach.
                  I am one of those defectors. If they would have kept Tivo I would have stayed with DirecTV...

Back on topic though. What unique about this Denon 5700 receiver over the other models that make the VUDU audio stream not work?

Comment

(self-deleting my own post that further careened the topic off course)

Comment

This is the only reason I left DirecTV. If they would have kept TiVo I would have never considered leaving. But now that I've left, I will not be back.

Comment

I'm not sure I see the problem. I've downloaded and am watching for $4.99 in OAR "LineWatch". It's pretty good PQ and AQ.

I didn't rent from VUDU, because I don't think it's available.

So maybe TIVO is a superior DVR (I don't have one), but VOD movies on their DVR don't seem to be bad. They have even finally put one title (The Hulk) available in 1080/24p.

Comment

My comments were concerning the DVR aspects of the DirectTV DVR (imagine that). I wasn't talking about VOD on it since the prior Tivo comments were related to its DVR capabilities only. However you can get VOD on Tivo/Amazon. I haven't tried it since I have tons of things already in my wish list on Vudu.

Comment

My comments were concerning the DVR aspects of the DirectTV DVR (imagine that). I wasn't talking about VOD on it since the prior Tivo comments were related to its DVR capabilities only. However you can get VOD on Tivo/Amazon. I haven't tried it since I have tons of things already in my wish list on Vudu.
                            That reminds me, I think Death RAce shows up in HDX tomorrow. I'll need to download it so I can watch it tomorrow night or Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by RonV View Post
                              ...snip...Back on topic though. What unique about this Denon 5700 receiver over the other models that make the VUDU audio stream not work?
                              Bump the Topic

The manual for the Denon 5700 dated Feb 6, 2006 can be found at http://www.usa.denon.com/avr5700_ownersmanual.pdf . Perhaps somebody more familiar with the nuances of Dolby could determine whether the problem in the OP was operator error, incompatibility, or defective hardware.

Comment

Working...
                              X