Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Large Vudu collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Vudu collections

I've seen a few people here mention that they have numbers like 3,000 titles in their movie collection. I've never seen the question asked, so I will. How are you getting all of these titles? I can't even think of 3,000 movies I'd want, let alone be willing to pay for. Let's say an average of $12/title. That's $36,000. I can't believe anyone is paying that kind of money for digital (or even Blu Ray) movies. What's the story? I do have a theory.

Re: Large Vudu collections

You are forgetting about Disc to Digital. Alot of people were able to get titles for $1.

Comment

Yeah, but 3,000 discs? I probably blew $3,000 on beer last year, but you still gotta buy the discs. I think $12 is still a reasonable average for a movie, but we can move that down to $8. That's still a new car.

Comment

Im at 2500 movies i did a ton of D2D but i also have sold off a ton of my DVD,s and blu rays in that time frame also i have maximized credit usage and i have used the codes from almost 700 movies that i had in my collection before i started.

Comment

You found codes in 700 titles? I guess I don't buy enough movies to really understand the percentage of movies that come with codes. I wouldn't have guessed you could find that many.

Comment

the walmart bluray dump bin alone has 100+ titles in it

Comment

Yeah, and there's times I can't find 1 that I want to spend money on!

There's also a number of those titles that don't have codes. I did find Stand By Me this weekend (which we just finished watching) that had a $5 credit instead of a code. Not bad for a $8 Blu ray.

Comment

and the other side of it is me,my Gf and my four kids share one account with my neighbor and her son as well so its getting movies from all over

Comment

Yeah, I've wondered about sharing. I've never looked into how that works. No one I know is interested in Vudu, except for a guy my wife babysits for. He was asking me what Vudu is. I sold him! That just happened within the last couple weeks.

Edit: I guess you're not sharing the way I'm thinking of sharing.

Comment

I've got over 2000 movies and tv shows on disc. Of that, I've got over 1000 in Vudu. Of those, I acquired about 50% thru codes, 49% thru D2D and the last 1% thru digital purchase. Total cost for my physical collection is around $47,000 (average price of movies @ $20). I've been buying movies for the past 20+ years so that cost has been spread out over that time. Granted, the majority of the D2D happened within the last 2 years. A lot were done in-store with the rest done at home thru the discounted and promotional sales at Vudu. I have about 20 more to do but with the local Wal-Marts not working due to the Fuji issue, I'm stuck waiting. Most new purchases I make are Blurays and 99% of them have codes. When my wife buys a movie, I check to see whether it is worth getting a digital copy or not...mostly not.

Comment

Next question: Have you watched them all? That's some large math to do as well!

Comment

1-2:50 per title for d2d. Make decent money at job so was able to do like 50+ movies a pay check. I was going in with roughly $100 worth of D2D movies or doing them online every two weeks. Buy roughly one bluray a week also. I have almost 2400 now.

When I got my taxes back I converted about 600 worth of movies because I was bored..

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post
                          Next question: Have you watched them all? That's some large math to do as well!
                          Have I watched them on Vudu, not all. My kids benefit from my obsession. They all are out of the house but I share my collection with them so they get to watch my movies. I've probably watched about 50%. Mostly the new ones when I first got them. Some of the old ones because they are better quality than the DVD. I mostly watch my Blurays at the house. As for the whole collection, I have seen every movie and TV show I own. Since I have a pretty crappy memory regarding some things, I can re-watch most movies and TV shows over and over and still enjoy them. Just like going back a re-reading a book, only with pictures for my enjoyment.

Comment

I was figuring out how long it'd fake to watch all of those movies, regardless of how.

So with your memory, I guess you're saying you can throw your own surprise party, eh?

Comment

Keep in mind that DVDs, not just blu-rays, are eligible for the D2D program. I've personally been buying DVDs for almost 18 years now, so many of us do indeed have DVD/Blu collections in the thousands.

As such, your question basically comes down to why you would spend an additional $1/title (or $2.50 if you want to upgrade to HDX for SD copies) to use D2D on titles you already own in some physical media format.

If you believe that this is truly the last time you will ever need to buy these titles (when a better version becomes available, the movie's streaming file will simply be updated by providers like VUDU), then I can easily see people shelling out the money.

If you believe that someday the movie companies will decide to revoke our licenses or pull individual titles from UV (or UV will simply cease to exist entirely), then you're probably not going to fork over the cash.

It's all about your long-term faith in UV as a delivery system for your film collection.

Also, obviously how much of your personal entertainment budget you want to allocate for movie related expenses. That's really up to the individual though, as it's entirely your call how much you want to spend on movies (or basketball games... or dinners at restaurants... or amusement parks... or any other manner of fun activities). I know a lot of people that hate the in-theater experience with driving to theaters, crowds, high concession prices, and people on their cell phones during the movie. In those instances, the savings they gain from not paying $11.50/ticket in-theater can be reallocated to home viewing options (usually sacrificing one trip to the theater will yield multiple at-home titles).

A "collector's mentality" is also a big consideration. Taken to its logical extreme, collecting anything that doesn't appreciate in value can be considered as foolish (and physical media rarely goes UP in value, especially once opened, except for the rare coveted title that goes out-of-print). However, that ignores the satisfaction people derive from their collections, and you probably need to assign a dollar value to that as well. Most people like collecting stuff, and movies are as good a hobby as any.

Also, your $12/movie figure (or even your revised $8 figure) is way too high. First off, a lot of it is a sunk cost at this point, with (as I mentioned) expenditures spread out across almost two decades for some. Second, when you factor in multi-packs, box sets, Black Friday sales, etc, your per movie cost goes way down. I'm not buying all my titles at Walmart the first week of release either. I wait for sales or multi-film bundles. Still, even if someone did pay an average of $12, so did end up spending $36,000 for their collection, it's their money, right?

Also, as another poster mentioned, you'd be surprised how many titles come with valid UV codes. Even catalog titles are being re-released with them at this point. In those cases, I don't even need to spend the extra $1 for D2D, as the cost of the UV copy is already built into the cost of my physical copy.

Comment

Working...
                              X