Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

24 hour rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 hour rule

I know this has been discussed a bunch but the 24 hour rule kinda chaps my hide. Hopefully I won't get any weird huge graphic from HeadHodge as a response to this... (how the heck did he become a senior member?)

But as a working man the 24 hour rule just does not work for me. If I start watching a movie one night and not finish it and come back to finish it the next nite I find my 24 hours has expired.
    I know this is no fault of Vudu but the 24 hour rule just doesn't work for me and I find myself NOT renting shows because of this.

Has anyone heard if there are any plans to change this?

Re: 24 hour rule

Originally posted by BrandonC View Post
    Hopefully I won't get any weird huge graphic from HeadHodge as a response to this...

Don't you think the extended rental option is a good compromise??

Comment

This has been asked many times and the same answer comes back. The 24 hour rule is on most rental movies is imposed by the content owner not VUDU. Most of the independent studio movies have a 48 hour window.

VUDU does offer on most rented content the ability to extend for another 24 hour period after the first expires at a discount.

Other than that you may want to contact all the major content owners and see if you can get them to change their rental agreements. As of right now they seem to be very stubborn in changing this.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
        Don't you think the extended rental option is a good compromise??
        No. Vudu has to compete with unlimited rental time on Netflix (not a far comparison I know, but that's what's expected by your average consumer).

We already pay more for the better quality and of course convince on a system like Vudu, but personally, I think 48 hour rentals are not too much to ask.
        Last edited by Citizen Erased; 01-21-2009, 09:58 PM. Reason: Learning to type again!

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Erased View Post
          No. Vudu has to compete with unlimited rental time on Netflix (not a far comparison I know, but that's what expected by your average consumer).

We already pay more for the better qaulity and of of course convnince on a system like Vudu, but personally, I think 48 hour rentals are not too much to ask.
          Well I would personally be all for an unlimited rental time until you finished the movie and the "rate me" screen popped up.

I think VUDU would do that if they could, but I don't believe it's within their control (although they certainly could Lobby for it).

Myself, I don't completely understand the issue. I "almost always" either watch a movie from beginning to end or I cancel it because it is so bad.

The only time I've watched the last part of a movie the next day is when I started the movie the night before and passed out before the end.

Comment

Well I would personally be all for an unlimited rental time until you finished the movie and the "rate me" screen popped up.

I think VUDU would do that if they could, but I don't believe it's within their control (although they certainly could Lobby for it).
            Sure, I know where the change needs to come from but until it happens there's no point in ignoring the problem.

Myself, I don't completely understand the issue. I "almost always" either watch a movie from beginning to end or I cancel it because it is so bad.

The only time I've watched the last part of a movie the next day is when I started the movie the night before and passed out before the end.
            Right, you have 30 days to start watching and then nine times out of ten, you'd finish in a sitting. It's when you don't make it through that first viewing that the 24 hour limit makes life difficult the next evening.

Comment

Sure, I know where the change needs to come from but until it happens there's no point in ignoring the problem.
              It seems to me that if you can't do something about a minor issue, the best thing to do is ignore it and learn to live with it/work around it. I'm not sure what benefit there is to focusing on small things you have no control over.

Comment

Right, you have 30 days to start watching and then nine times out of ten, you'd finish in a sitting. It's when you don't make it through that first viewing that the 24 hour limit makes life difficult the next evening.
                So if you have to pay for an extra movie 1/10 of the time you are really just paying 10% more over the course of 10 movies. Since the extended viewing fees are less than the original cost, you end up paying less than that, thus making it somewhat useful of a compromise. In an ideal world you wouldn't have to do that but that certainly puts it in the "minor" annoyance category.

Comment

I know about the studios' restrictions, but I also feel the same way. If I sit with my wife to watch a movie after 9PM... five times out ten she passes out and asks me to pause it so that we can finish it the next day. During the weekend this is not an issue, but during the week this is a show stopper. We usually get back home from work between 6PM-7PM... we get comfortable, we cook and eat a little something, go online for a little bit... Boom!... is 9PM again. This is the main reason we don't rent from Time Warner VOD on weekdays any more. With the same 24 hour rule... this will probably be the same with the Vudu box. During the week we mostly watch the stuff we have recorded on our DVR or watch live TV.

I think arguments similar to the one above have been brought forward to the studios by Vudu and by other VOD providers. Maybe every time the providers pay their bills to the studios they should remind them that relaxing the rental clock will make their check a lot bigger... Who knows maybe the studios might begin to reconsider if the requested extended period is not unreasonable. The clock needs to be extended from 24 hours to at least 30 after a viewer clicks play. A little less time if the studios cry too much. I don't know about you, but I don't like it when I have to pay extra to watch a fraction of a movie because of an "unreasonable rule". Everyone... the customers, the studios and the Vudu folks would gain something with this "simple" extension. The studios and Vudu would get more of our money from additional rentals and the Vudu users will be happier campers.

We all know that the studios are very strict with their content and that negotiating such terms with them won't be easy... I'm sure that Time Warner cable would like to get similar terms and they have a lot more leverage than Vudu. I believe that Vudu is trying very hard to get some relief for their customers in this area as they stand to benefit from such an arrangement.

Comment

I think that if a movie is worth paying for, it's worth watching in one sitting. Splitting a movie over 2 days ruins it, in my opinion. My wife feels the same way. So our solution has always been (even before Vudu and its 24 hour limit), we don't watch a movie unless we know we are going to watch the whole thing. If we find ourselves getting tired and wanting to sleep, it isn't because we didn't have enough time. It's because the movie turned out to be a dud and we decide to not finish it.

Comment

I am with you Redwin...we also do the same. If we can't watch it from start to finish in one sitting we delay watching the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                        I think that if a movie is worth paying for, it's worth watching in one sitting. Splitting a movie over 2 days ruins it, in my opinion. My wife feels the same way. So our solution has always been (even before Vudu and its 24 hour limit), we don't watch a movie unless we know we are going to watch the whole thing. If we find ourselves getting tired and wanting to sleep, it isn't because we didn't have enough time. It's because the movie turned out to be a dud and we decide to not finish it.
                        But there is always the possibility of something coming up to interrupt you viewing. Especially for the people with children.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                          But there is always the possibility of something coming up to interrupt you viewing. Especially for the people with children.
                          Well, even more so for children viewing a film. They have short attention spans or many times we'd like to start a movie before they go to bed but there's no enough time for them to finish it. In the case of The Grinch, we had to outright rent that one twice as there's no extended rental available for that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
                            I can list here hundreds of reasons why I have to interrupt watching a movie while I'm at home; none of which I could have predicted before I started watching a VOD movie. Splitting a movie over several days does not ruin anything for me. There have been plenty of TV series that have been shown over days, weeks, months and even years. I can assure you that these series have been enjoyed by very large audiences and have become a significant source of income for TV networks. For me, movie rental (VOD) is an at-home recreational activity that I would like to enjoy with "reasonable " time restrictions. If the restrictions are to strict, the studios and Vudu won't get my money. Going to the movies is a different activity for which I allocate time. VOD for me is more of an impulse activity for which I don't want or need to plan. I think the issue that's being discussed here is that the existing restriction needs to be relaxed... made a bit more flexible. I don't think anyone here is asking for an unlimitted time... we just want a longer more convenient (Reasonable) window to enjoy the content that we rent.

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
                              I can list here hundreds of reasons why I have to interrupt watching a movie while I'm at home; none of which I could have predicted before I started watching a VOD movie. Splitting a movie over several days does not ruin anything for me. There have been plenty of TV series that have been shown over days, weeks, months and even years. I can assure you that these series have been enjoyed by very large audiences and have become a significant source of income for TV networks. For me, movie rental (VOD) is an at-home recreational activity that I would like to enjoy with "reasonable " time restrictions. If the restrictions are to strict, the studios and Vudu won't get my money. Going to the movies is a different activity for which I allocate time. VOD for me is more of an impulse activity for which I don't want or need to plan. I think the issue that's being discussed here is that the existing restriction needs to be relaxed... made a bit more flexible. I don't think anyone here is asking for an unlimitted time... we just want a longer more convenient (Reasonable) window to enjoy the content that we rent.
                              That's kind of sad if your life is so complicated that there is anything more than a slight chance of having to interrupt a movie due to things out of your control. As for movies/series spread across time on TV, they structure those things as to have natural breaking points (why do you think those things are typically called miniseries). Look, I understand if that's your viewing habit and I respect that. I still stand by my statement that movies are meant to be watched in one sitting and being interrupted in the middle of one (especially if it is out of your control) can't do anything but diminish the experience. Movies spend time and effort setting a mood, building suspense, etc. That's what they are typically going for. Whatever emotional state you are in when you interrupt it will not just come back instantly the next day. I do agree that we would all benefit from a 48 hour rental window and that sometimes stuff just comes up. I would just rather see 100% rentability and I think that is probably about 10,000 times as important.

Comment

Working...
                              X