Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

24 hour rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24 hour rule

Originally posted by redwein View Post
    That's kind of sad if your life is so complicated that there is anything more than a slight chance of having to interrupt a movie due to things out of your control. As for movies/series spread across time on TV, they structure those things as to have natural breaking points (why do you think those things are typically called miniseries). Look, I understand if that's your viewing habit and I respect that. I still stand by my statement that movies are meant to be watched in one sitting and being interrupted in the middle of one (especially if it is out of your control) can't do anything but diminish the experience. Movies spend time and effort setting a mood, building suspense, etc. That's what they are typically going for. Whatever emotional state you are in when you interrupt it will not just come back instantly the next day. I do agree that we would all benefit from a 48 hour rental window and that sometimes stuff just comes up. I would just rather see 100% rentability and I think that is probably about 10,000 times as important.
    It's really not that sad... I usually make a lot of money from the interruptions... I own and run my own business. I answer to no one. I go to the movies almost every Friday at about 2 PM after I finish with the business books for the week. I usually watch premiers of movies I want to see. I then head to my favorite bar with some friends for a few and then to dinner. I'm off all weekends and I dine out with my wife at a different restaurant almost every Saturday and Sunday.... Yes... that makes me very sad. Interruptions are a fact of life even without owning a business. You don't have "any" responsibilities or other more exciting things to do that supersede watching a movie at home from beginning to end?... If that's the case... then... that's really, really sad.

Back to the topic... The answer for me is simple... The studios and Vudu either make some money from me during the week or they get nothing. Something I learned early on... 0% of anything is 0... any % of anything... is something. I pretty sure the studios and Vudu understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
      You don't have "any" responsibilities or other more exciting things to do that supersede watching a movie at home from beginning to end?... If that's the case... then... that's really, really sad.
      I have enough flexibility with my time to decide when I can and can't be interrupted. That's all. I work because I want to, not because I have to. I spend time with my kids and we do all kinds of things. I don't let myself be interrupted then either. To each their own. We just have different lifestyles and I respect that.

Comment

That's kind of sad if your life is so complicated that there is anything more than a slight chance of having to interrupt a movie due to things out of your control. As for movies/series spread across time on TV, they structure those things as to have natural breaking points (why do you think those things are typically called miniseries). Look, I understand if that's your viewing habit and I respect that. I still stand by my statement that movies are meant to be watched in one sitting and being interrupted in the middle of one (especially if it is out of your control) can't do anything but diminish the experience. Movies spend time and effort setting a mood, building suspense, etc. That's what they are typically going for. Whatever emotional state you are in when you interrupt it will not just come back instantly the next day. I do agree that we would all benefit from a 48 hour rental window and that sometimes stuff just comes up. I would just rather see 100% rentability and I think that is probably about 10,000 times as important.
        Add me to this list (complicated life). even though I agree that watching in multiple sittings sometimes makes for a different movie. I manage a small company and one thing I try to live by is that I am always available. So, it just happens from time to time. My wife is also busy as a teacher and many times we get a movie started at 9 and one or both of us wake up having missed some or much of it.

I do not find it as much an annoyance as some here though. I remember too well video rentals in the 80's- 24 hour period, full additinal rental if you were a minute late. I understand we have moved on from that, but I also know the studios' control fetish runs deep. As long as Vudu lives by the same rules as every other service out there, I will live with it and hope it slowly changes.

Comment

My life is fairly uncomplicated, and I have somewhat nocturnal habits so the 24 hour limitation doesn't typically hinder me. The reasons I'm so vocally against it is, well firstly, it makes no sense. More importantly, it puts people off ever using the service. The download model is a hard sell for some and every review online mentions this restriction as a con. I also know people who list it as their biggest reason for not buying a Vudu or even an AppleTV box.

Comment

I would just rather see 100% rentability and I think that is probably about 10,000 times as important.
            I do agree this is a bigger issue. I've been very vocal about this one too!

Comment

Originally posted by larrs View Post
              I do not find it as much an annoyance as some here though. I remember too well video rentals in the 80's- 24 hour period, full additinal rental if you were a minute late. I understand we have moved on from that, but I also know the studios' control fetish runs deep. As long as Vudu lives by the same rules as every other service out there, I will live with it and hope it slowly changes.
              I agree with most of what you said in your post. But I want to make clear that it is not that I find it annoying. The issue for me with these a so-called "lifestyle digital devices" that deliver entertainment on demand is that their business model should adjust to the end user's lifestyle not the other way around. If the content owners and providers adjust to the end user's needs they can extract the most profits out of repeated use. I'm just not going to adjust my schedule around the Vudu box.

I also agree that it's the studios problem. But we can not be complaisant. We must make our views known so that the business model gets adjusted. Big companies have a big problem with this... as it is hard for them to turn on a dime. But we have seen results recently. DRM is out of iTunes content... Would you have foreseen that the day that Apple signed the initial agreement with the studios... maybe... but you would have been skeptical. The consumers continually complained about the issues inherent to DRM to the point where answering complains started to affect the bottom line and technology to secure the content became an obstacle for growth.

Rage, rage... against the dying of the light... Do not go gentle into that good night. D. Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
                I agree with most of what you said in your post. But I want to make clear that it is not that I find it annoying. The issue for me with these a so-called "lifestyle digital devices" that deliver entertainment on demand is that their business model should adjust to the end user's lifestyle not the other way around. If the content owners and providers adjust to the end user's needs they can extract the most profits out of repeated use. I'm just not going to adjust my schedule around the Vudu box.
                I couldn't agree more. People have a very mobile very "unsettled" lifestyle today. Things happen. Kids get sick. A person falls asleep during a slow part in a movie. The pipes burst, etc. Crap happens and I should be able to watch my content that I paid for whenever and wherever.

The studios need to understand this. Their rules for watching should be flexible so that they adapt to my lifestyle needs, not the other way around. Then Redwein is happy and Tamanaco is happy and I'm happy too.

It's even more of a headache for purchased content. I should be able to purchase a movie, be able to download it from my box and watch it on whatever device I have wherever I go (I'm even willing to drop quality for a portable device just so that I can have the content there). Period. I'm also a big fan of the idea of being able to watch content from one Vudu on another Vudu that is on the same account.

The studios need to use the "Field of Dreams" ideology: Build it and they will come -> Make digital media flexible and people will flock to it.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadHodge View Post
                  The only time I've watched the last part of a movie the next day is when I started the movie the night before and passed out before the end.
                  No kids, eh, HeadHodge?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
                    No kids, eh, HeadHodge?
                    I have kids (8, 10, and 26 years old). We don't need to split our movie watching over 2 days either, not even when they were younger. Of course there were many days when we just didn't have enough time to watch one so we waited until we did.

Comment

Working...
                    X