Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

4K Dolby Vision Dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4K Dolby Vision Dim

Been watching Last Jedi, Black Panther, and Spider-man HC in Dolby vision on LG OLED. Any one else notice that it is incredibly dim? Not getting much "pop" in the highlights at all, everything seems to just blend together. On the native app and 'cinema' DV mode.

I watched Black Panther on an LG OLED (E7) last night and it looked great, dynamic range, highlights and detail in dark scenes were some of the best I have seen on a Dolby Vision title (that said the night scenes are are graded to be very dark, but that's intentional). Same with Last Jedi when I watched it a few weeks ago.

My mode for Dolby Vision is "Cinema Home" with some custom tuned settings - also, turn off pretty much all of the "expert controls" and "picture options" where possible and turn "energy saving" to "off" (I noticed this one will often dim the UI to save power, it's really annoying).

Comment

I concur with the original poster. The beginning apartment scene and initial jungle scene are very dark.

Comment

no problem using DV titles with my Vudu / CCU / LG set up. looks fantastic!

Comment

I dont own Black Panther yet, however, the Last Jedi looks great. I am viewing it on my Apple TV 4K on a LG OLEDC6. I havent notice anything on other DV movies as well. I will have to check Spider-man: Homecoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillietalls View Post
            I concur with the original poster. The beginning apartment scene and initial jungle scene are very dark.
            What device are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeF View Post

What device are you using?
              I'm using the Apple TV 4K plugged directly into my Sony 75x940E. Also, Black Panther plays in HDR10 and not Dolby Vision.

Comment

I'm using the Apple TV 4K plugged directly into my Sony 75x940E. Also, Black Panther plays in HDR10 and not Dolby Vision.
                netnothing
                Me and netnothing we?re talking about this in another thread and it was deleted. We both have the Sony x930e. The Vudu app on the TV looks fantastic, but the native movie app and Vudu on the Apple TV both look real dim(no pop to it at all in DV). I believe it?s a problem with hdr/DV over hdmi on the Sony?s. My Xbox one x also has the same issue. As well as my Roku streaming stick +. My amazon, Netflix, and Vudu all are real bright on the android tv apps,

Comment

I think Vudu said they were having issues with some DV titles on the ATV and they've had to revert to HDR10 on them....just for the ATV. The other DIM issue I am seeing also but mainly on the ATV only, not the Android app on my 930e.

Originally posted by JakeS550 View Post

netnothing
                  Me and netnothing we?re talking about this in another thread and it was deleted. We both have the Sony x930e. The Vudu app on the TV looks fantastic, but the native movie app and Vudu on the Apple TV both look real dim(no pop to it at all in DV). I believe it?s a problem with hdr/DV over hdmi on the Sony?s. My Xbox one x also has the same issue. As well as my Roku streaming stick +. My amazon, Netflix, and Vudu all are real bright on the android tv apps,
                  Interesting that other thread was deleted. I've been talking about this on the AVS forums as well in the 930e forum. I posted this comparison:

As of right now, comparing the following are the results I see (all Dolby Vision titles):

Vudu ATV app vs iTunes ATV = these look the same
                  Netflix TV app vs Netflix ATV app = these are pretty close (much closer than in the beginning of beta for 11.3), but I still would give the nod to the TV app having just a little more color and pop and brightness
                  Vudu TV app vs Vudu ATV app = The new Android TV app looks way better. Richer and brighter colors
                  Vudu TV app vs iTunes ATV = The TV app looks way better still. Richer and brighter color

Comment

Originally posted by netnothing View Post

I think Vudu said they were having issues with some DV titles on the ATV and they've had to revert to HDR10 on them....just for the ATV. The other DIM issue I am seeing also but mainly on the ATV only, not the Android app on my 930e.

Interesting that other thread was deleted. I've been talking about this on the AVS forums as well in the 930e forum. I posted this comparison:

As of right now, comparing the following are the results I see (all Dolby Vision titles):

Vudu ATV app vs iTunes ATV = these look the same
                    Netflix TV app vs Netflix ATV app = these are pretty close (much closer than in the beginning of beta for 11.3), but I still would give the nod to the TV app having just a little more color and pop and brightness
                    Vudu TV app vs Vudu ATV app = The new Android TV app looks way better. Richer and brighter colors
                    Vudu TV app vs iTunes ATV = The TV app looks way better still. Richer and brighter color
                    Agreed! I?m not a member on the avs forums, but I will join tonight. I?m Curious what everyone else is saying.

Comment

I've noticed this as well, using the android VUDU app for UHD movies (I have a 2017 4k Sony).

Comment

Having the same issue with Black Panther. Watching this off of the Vudu app on Roku TV on a TCL. Dolby Vision is extremely dim. Noticed this happened with Star Wars The Last Jedi as well. I watched both films on release and never noticed the issue. Now I watched them both today and I couldn't even get through them it was so dim. I had the same issue with Spiderman Homecoming and it was eventually fixed on the VUDU side.

Comment

Originally posted by njrider14 View Post
                          Having the same issue with Black Panther. Watching this off of the Vudu app on Roku TV on a TCL. Dolby Vision is extremely dim. Noticed this happened with Star Wars The Last Jedi as well. I watched both films on release and never noticed the issue. Now I watched them both today and I couldn't even get through them it was so dim. I had the same issue with Spiderman Homecoming and it was eventually fixed on the VUDU side.
                          Have you adjusted the DV brightness settings while watching your content? What about the local contrast settings? What TCL TV model are you using?

I personally own the TCL 55P607 and have also noticed this on my TV. This issue is being investigated. I'll report back when I have something to share.

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeF View Post

Have you adjusted the DV brightness settings while watching your content? What about the local contrast settings? What TCL TV model are you using?

I personally own the TCL 55P607 and have also noticed this on my TV. This issue is being investigated. I'll report back when I have something to share.
                            I am using the TCL 55C807. I know the peak brightness is low but HDR content is great. When watching content over on Apple 4K the dimming issues are non existent. I?m actually noticing more movies that are very dim with DV enabled. Thor Ragnarok, Shape of Water, and Ghost in the Shell. These were 100% watchable before.

As far as settings go, I reset the picture settings to default for DV Dark, Normal, and bright. All with the same results. I only have Dynamic Contrast on my model and I keep that Off. Thanks for for reply back! Hope this helps in any way.

Comment

FelipeF - Bringing this one back to the top. Any updates on this by chance? Wondering if this is a Roku TV issue with the Vudu app. On iTunes 4k/DV I'm seeing 0 issues and picture quality is great. I'm starting to see more and more movies in my library on Vudu w/ Dolby Vision that have extremely dim picture and not just the ones listed in my last post. Sorry for the bump.

Comment

Working...
                              X