Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

4K Dolby Vision Dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jake View Post
    I watched Black Panther on an LG OLED (E7) last night and it looked great, dynamic range, highlights and detail in dark scenes were some of the best I have seen on a Dolby Vision title (that said the night scenes are are graded to be very dark, but that's intentional). Same with Last Jedi when I watched it a few weeks ago.

My mode for Dolby Vision is "Cinema Home" with some custom tuned settings - also, turn off pretty much all of the "expert controls" and "picture options" where possible and turn "energy saving" to "off" (I noticed this one will often dim the UI to save power, it's really annoying).
    Yes the Cinema Home preset artificially raises the average brightness of the picture. The "Cinema" preset is widely regarded as the most accurate, out of the box DV preset. I prefer to stick with that one!

Cinema Home at first looks very nice and vibrant, but the over blown light source reflecting on the subject's face is really distracting to me. It also reduces the impact of HDR specular highlights because it raises the brightness.

It could be that DV is supposed to be this dark! I don't have the TV calibrated yet, but I'm not sure that it would "fix" it.

Comment

I own the TCL R615 that just came out in early May and Black Panther looks atrocious on Dolby Vision through the Vudu app. I played the original disk in my Xbox One X and the HDR 10 looks incredible. The dolby vision version on the TCL Roku tv looks so dim and the colors are really washed out, but HDR 10 on Xbox One X is super bright and the colors really pop. I also checked the Vudu app on Xbox one X and the brightness and color vibrancy is much better than the Dolby Vision version on Vudu through TCL Roku App.

Comment

Originally posted by forager View Post

Yes the Cinema Home preset artificially raises the average brightness of the picture. The "Cinema" preset is widely regarded as the most accurate, out of the box DV preset. I prefer to stick with that one!

Cinema Home at first looks very nice and vibrant, but the over blown light source reflecting on the subject's face is really distracting to me. It also reduces the impact of HDR specular highlights because it raises the brightness.

It could be that DV is supposed to be this dark! I don't have the TV calibrated yet, but I'm not sure that it would "fix" it.
        Cinema/Home Cinema choice also depends on your home environment, etc. (if you watch in a very dark room vs with lights on, window open, etc - or as I mention below, if you just like an overall brighter but maybe less "accurate" picture).

And yes - Dolby Vision is generally graded & displayed so that the darkest scenes may look darker when compared to an SDR version - the reason is that while technically SDR content is graded at a max of 100 nits, most TVs for years have been able to display more, and instead of displaying at the intended max level, they just scale it up to their maximum brightness. So in effect most old content was WAY brighter than the creators intended. If you want that same effect on HDR content you are free to turn up the TVs brightness settings, but it will not be what was intended by the director/colorist/etc.

Note we have identified some issues with dim HDR video (on Xbox1, which Microsoft is fixing very soon; on Android TV, which has already been fixed, and most recently on Roku TCL TV which we are working with Roku to investigate). But generally Dolby Vision *does* have both darker dark scenes and brighter bright scenes - the difference is there is still detail on the dark scenes - ie. in the case of the LG OLEDs we have tested on several TVs and confirmed with Dolby and Disney that the first two scenes are displayed as intended.

Comment

Cinema/Home Cinema choice also depends on your home environment, etc. (if you watch in a very dark room vs with lights on, window open, etc - or as I mention below, if you just like an overall brighter but maybe less "accurate" picture).

And yes - Dolby Vision is generally graded & displayed so that the darkest scenes may look darker when compared to an SDR version - the reason is that while technically SDR content is graded at a max of 100 nits, most TVs for years have been able to display more, and instead of displaying at the intended max level, they just scale it up to their maximum brightness. So in effect most old content was WAY brighter than the creators intended. If you want that same effect on HDR content you are free to turn up the TVs brightness settings, but it will not be what was intended by the director/colorist/etc.

Note we have identified some issues with dim HDR video (on Xbox1, which Microsoft is fixing very soon; on Android TV, which has already been fixed, and most recently on Roku TCL TV which we are working with Roku to investigate). But generally Dolby Vision *does* have both darker dark scenes and brighter bright scenes - the difference is there is still detail on the dark scenes - ie. in the case of the LG OLEDs we have tested on several TVs and confirmed with Dolby and Disney that the first two scenes are displayed as intended.
          Hi Jake - Glad to see there was an issue found with Roku TCL and you guys are investigating. At least I am not losing my mind thinking it was my TCL. You guys rock. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by njrider14 View Post

Hi Jake - Glad to see there was an issue found with Roku TCL and you guys are investigating. At least I am not losing my mind thinking it was my TCL. You guys rock. Thanks for the info!
            l think I can say we felt the Roku was darker than the LG OLED - still trying to understand if that's just a difference of LCDs vs OLED with HDR/DV or there is something wrong (though we have always thought the TCL Roku TV did a pretty good job at DV, so it would be surprising if it was "expected").

Question: you mentioned earlier that you watched a few titles earlier and didn't notice this, but on the same TV and same title you feel it's darker now, is that correct?

Do you have GotG2 UHD? If so, could you take a look at the opening scene/credits? We looked at this on a Roku TCL 55P607 and felt like while "dark" (as intended), it had the proper dynamic range and detail.

Basically, we are trying to understand whether this issue is content or device related (or some interaction between the two). Is it possible you watched it in different setting (time of day/lighting/etc) or have tweaked the TV settings, etc? As the content encode has not changed for BP or Last Jedi since release, if you really felt it was different from a few weeks ago without any other changes, that would indicate hardware issue over content.

Comment

l think I can say we felt the Roku was darker than the LG OLED - still trying to understand if that's just a difference of LCDs vs OLED with HDR/DV or there is something wrong (though we have always thought the TCL Roku TV did a pretty good job at DV, so it would be surprising if it was "expected").

Question: you mentioned earlier that you watched a few titles earlier and didn't notice this, but on the same TV and same title you feel it's darker now, is that correct?

Do you have GotG2 UHD? If so, could you take a look at the opening scene/credits? We looked at this on a Roku TCL 55P607 and felt like while "dark" (as intended), it had the proper dynamic range and detail.

Basically, we are trying to understand whether this issue is content or device related (or some interaction between the two). Is it possible you watched it in different setting (time of day/lighting/etc) or have tweaked the TV settings, etc? As the content encode has not changed for BP or Last Jedi since release, if you really felt it was different from a few weeks ago without any other changes, that would indicate hardware issue over content.
              Jake - Yes, I watched Black Panther at midnight when it was released and saw no issues at all and the same with SW: TLJ. I would tend to agree with you about a possible hardware issue except I had 2 others who have TCL 55P605 units test both films. They both had the same response that BP was unwatchable and TLJ was very dark in DV. If you scroll up a bit you can see a similar response from Shroomage34

I also installed the Dolby Vision app that is available on TCL app store. The picture looked absolutely awesome on all the demos. Went back to the Vudu app and both of those movies still look horrendously dark in comparison. The best example I can bring up is they are both Spiderman: Homecoming extremely dark on release.

Troubleshooting steps on my end while watching Black Panther and The Last Jedi:

Movies were tested in both day/night.
              1. I kept my regular settings in the picture menu.
              2. Reset all picture settings back to default and saw no change at all.
              3. Went into the Roku app and changed all settings to default and still saw no change.
              4. As a last test to eliminate any other settings issues I hit the reset button on the back of the TV and re-downloaded all apps.

Here are other movies I tested w/ results before and after the reset was done on the Vudu app:

Lucy - no issues - looks fantastic!
              Pan - no issues - looks fantastic!
              GotG2 - no issues - looks fantastic! Opening scene/credits looks fine on my end. Movie looks darker than other movies but the colors and highlights still pop.
              Man of Steel - no issues - looks fantastic!
              Spiderman: Homecoming - no issues - looks fantastic!
              The Great Wall - no issues - looks fantastic!
              Batman v Superman - no issues - looks fantastic!
              Wonder Woman - no issues - looks fantastic!
              Black Panther - extremely dark - colors/highlights are very mute
              Star Wars - The Last Jedi - extremely dark - colors/highlights are very mute

Hope this helps.

Comment

I also did a quick test with Kong Skull Island. Watched the opening scene until Kong shows up on the ledge of the mountain. Played it in the Vudu app through the Roku TV and through iTunes on an Apple TV 4k. Vudu app had a darker image and the colors are much brighter on the Apple TV. So I still wonder if there is an all around issue with Roku TV and the Vudu app.

I did sample the same movies on the Vudu app on Apple TV and I noticed the same dark issues w/ Black Panther and The Last Jedi. So I don't know anymore. Different device, same problem. Maybe it's just how it's supposed to be which would be a bummer.

Comment

I have also noticed that Dolby vision films are very dim compared to a few weeks ago. Black Panther does not look like it is in Dolby vision, though the Sony 2017 TV is firing up the DV profile...

Comment

Has anything been found regarding this?

Comment

I just downloaded vudu on my sony tv x930e (2017). I noticed all the dolby vision content I have are converted terribly dim. Is there a way to remove dolby vision or have an update? All the movies I purchased looked better on HDX or on my samsung 2016 tv with its HDR on (but not dolby vision).

Comment

Originally posted by bautistar1 View Post
                        I just downloaded vudu on my sony tv x930e (2017). I noticed all the dolby vision content I have are converted terribly dim. Is there a way to remove dolby vision or have an update? All the movies I purchased looked better on HDX or on my samsung 2016 tv with its HDR on (but not dolby vision).
                        There is a 930E owners forum on AVS Forums. Check there for more information such as picture settings that could be of assistance. If others are having the same problem you may find a solution there.

Comment

I have a TCL 65R615. Many Dolby Vision titles I have are dim. (like putting sunglasses on). This includes the VUDU app thru an ATV4k as well as the internal TCL VUDU app. Movies I have tested extensively: Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War. Last Jedi is doing this too. Thru the ATV4K I can switch back and forth from SDR to Dolby Vision. When I go back to SDR, the picture looks great (no darkness, no veil). Help!

Comment

Originally posted by mjames9999@gmail.com View Post
                            I have a TCL 65R615. Many Dolby Vision titles I have are dim. (like putting sunglasses on). This includes the VUDU app thru an ATV4k as well as the internal TCL VUDU app. Movies I have tested extensively: Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War. Last Jedi is doing this too. Thru the ATV4K I can switch back and forth from SDR to Dolby Vision. When I go back to SDR, the picture looks great (no darkness, no veil). Help!
                            I own the TCL 55P607 and just recently upgraded the firmware to 9.0. This seemed to have fixed some of the DV issues that I was also experiencing. I did notice a difference overall. Are you still on 8.0?

Comment

I'm on 9.0. TCL 65R615 2018. I did a side by side on Black Panther. Movies Anywhere version, all the colors pop, not dark. On Vudu using DV, colors look flat. DV is much darker. Apartment scene at the beginning. Jungle scene. (overly dark on DV, you lose a LOT of detail in scenes) I have all the settings identical. Using 2.2 for gamma. I am using the internal TCL apps.

On AppleTV4k: HD only version of the movie. No color pop (because it non DV or HDR10) but brightness is great. You see everything.
                              VUDU 4K DV: Much Darker, losing too much detail

Comment

Hi,

Just found this thread since Captain marvel in DD is mostly unwatchable on my don't ae1 via the vudu app on the Apple TV 4k but looks great on the TV vudu app.

For me at least, the issue seems to be that the Apple TV to or the vudu app is outputting to the TV in bt2020, with the TV set to auto video format in the picture menu. If I change this to anything other than auto or bt2020, adobergb for example, this seems to fix problem.

Do we know what video format the vudu app and/or apple ap should be outputting?

Thanks.

John.

Comment

Working...
                                X