Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

VUDU prices are too high!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VUDU prices are too high!

I'm sure this thread has been started before, but I could not find it. I've been relatively happy with D2D on most of my DVDs, with just a very few not recognized. I have purchased a few on-sale copies of newer movies and have been happy with the price. However, most of the time I can purchase the actual Blu-Ray AND it often has a free UV copy for less than the Vudu price, even on sale. I realize the convenience of having cloud copies, especially for multiple devices. But, Vudu needs to drop their prices and be more competitive on HDX purchases if they want the Blu-Ray market. I will note that HDX quality, although really excellent, is still not up to Blu-Ray quality, but is more than acceptable, if the price is right. As a note, I looked forward to their Past Oscar Winners sale this year, and anything that I wanted, I could find cheaper through Amazon, or sometimes in the Walmart roto-bins in the store. My suggested threshold is $9.99 for first run pictures, and $4.99 for has-beens. And let's not even talk about those insane Disney movie prices!

Re: VUDU prices are too high! (And PLEASE don't close my thread!!!!)

Vudu doesn't usually close threads like these. Your feeling is correct; there have been several.

I don't think threads like yours where people complain about prices being too high are effective at all. Companies don't look at customers stated opinions about pricing being too high. Companies look at sales charts. That's a much more effective resource to a company to determine pricing. If people are paying those high prices in numbers that satisfy the company, threads like these will never cause a price to drop. Of course that doesn't mean a company couldn't say, "We hear you, and we lowered our prices!" But it's not the thread that did it. It's the lack of revenue.

It's easy for a customer to say what prices should be. But customers don't know the costs associated with providing goods and services. Many customers like to state that overall revenue will go up if prices go down, because more people will buy. If it was that simple, gas would be 10 cents/gallon.

The only effective thing consumers can do to get prices to come down is to stop buying. Of course, that has to be done by customers in large numbers. There's a reason NFL gift shops charge $100 for a jersey. People pay it.

Comment

This is why I still buy so many BDs. You get a free UV copy most of the time plus the higher quality audio and video (bit rate).

Comment

It's not just supply and demand, either. The movie industry has a distribution network that is still responsible for the bulk of its home entertainment revenue. Distributors and retailers are the direct customers of the studios, not you and I. Digital movie distribution has the potential to be really disruptive to those relationships, so the prices are kept artificially high so as not to completely undermine the current cash flows.

In the long run, prices will drop because they can with digital. I think you can expect some pricing fixing lawsuits otherwise. But these high prices for now are a way of keeping the distribution networks from revolting.

Comment

Originally posted by MattO View Post
          It's not just supply and demand, either. The movie industry has a distribution network that is still responsible for the bulk of its home entertainment revenue. Distributors and retailers are the direct customers of the studios, not you and I. Digital movie distribution has the potential to be really disruptive to those relationships, so the prices are kept artificially high so as not to completely undermine the current cash flows.

In the long run, prices will drop because they can with digital. I think you can expect some pricing fixing lawsuits otherwise. But these high prices for now are a way of keeping the distribution networks from revolting.
          Exactly.

Unfortunately for us, despite what some members might harp on about, it's not about whether the current digital media price maximizes profits for the studios, it's often about the perceived cannibalizing of physical media sales by increasing digital media sales. What they refuse to realize is that the two are not completely fungible.

Comment

Re: VUDU prices are too high!

Thanks for letting me vent! I DO like the idea that on the UV copies, I don't have to store them, dust them, or move them! I'm running out of room to store all this dog-gone media. Plus, how many copies of Star Wars does one need? I've got 4 - First Laserdisc release, Special Edition Laserdisc, DVD, and now BD! Sheesh! (And YEP! - I'll probably get a 4K copy when that technology comes to fruition.

Comment

I’ve been a subscriber since 2013. I am a huge streaming fan and I keep track of my purchases: I own 312 movies and have spent about $5,000 on purchases and rentals. In the last 7 years, Vudu has offered me 1 coupon for $15 credit. That was in 2014. I contacted Vudu last Mayand said that they may wish to offer more incentives to keep subscribers from going to sites where they can purchase and rent for less money and better quality (i.e. superior to HDX). They ignored my email. Do what I did and stop paying them money. If 5K is not worth enough for an email reply, then $1 is too much to give this company, especially given that my money was paying the salary of the agent who ignored me. Now Vudu wants $25 for the new Bill and Ted movie. What a joke. Go to Fandango. All new releases, same price as Vudu, and better quality compared to Vudu’s mediocre HDX. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpn View Post

Companies don't look at customers stated opinions about pricing being too high. Companies look at sales charts. That's a much more effective resource to a company to determine pricing. If people are paying those high prices in numbers that satisfy the company, threads like these will never cause a price to drop. Of course that doesn't mean a company couldn't say, "We hear you, and we lowered our prices!" But it's not the thread that did it. It's the lack of revenue.
                I don't think Disney is looking at the digital sales figures for 'The Love Bug' and 'Tombstone' and say 'GEEZ, these are selling GREAT at $18. Leave them there!'

I do think that Disney does not care very much about drawing extra revenue from their deep non-franchise catalog titles. Hence the rumors running around about Disney so-called abandoning 4k physical media. That is never what the original report was. If I was to re-translate the original report in the most simple way, it would be 'Disney will continue to support Physical 4k media for all new releases, plus be (re)releasing Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and Animated Classics in 4k physical media. There is a good chance Disney will NOT be supporting new physical 4k releases on many of our deep catalog non-large franchise titles including PRETTY WOMAN, SIGNS, THE BLACK HOLE, and many others.'

I'm sure this decision is derived from the fact that Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and Animated Classics have made up probably something like 90% of their total movie sales revenue. Why would they focus on the bottom 10% if they are already the top dominating studio?

But to agree with the original post, Disney / Touchstone prices are WAYYYYY to high, $9.99 is fine for SD, But $18 for HDX???? It Should be $12.99 for old catalog across the board. Even those non-sale prices are a bit high, but that should be the ceiling for the old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond204 View Post

But to agree with the original post, Disney / Touchstone prices are WAYYYYY to high, $9.99 is fine for SD, But $18 for HDX???? It Should be $12.99 for old catalog across the board. Even those non-sale prices are a bit high, but that should be the ceiling for the old stuff.
                  This!! I have bought nearly all of the Touchstone movies I wanted at their regular HIGH price. They rarely go on sale. Being they are catalog titles of years past, they should not even be that high. Most of them you can find DVDs for extremely cheap, compared to their SD at $10. It's crazy.

Comment

They do, indeed have very high prices for certain TV Shows and Movies. At most, a season of newer TV is usually around 19.99 to 24.99 depending on network / episode count. But there are some that go 24.99 to 34.99 and maybe even higher for just one season, despite episode count.

Oddly enough, once in a while, they will put this high-value seasons on sale for $4.99 to $9.99, but then they go right back up afterwards, rather than get re-priced more reasonably and in-line with other TV shows.

For instance, they had a sale on the The Waltons TV show. Every season was $4.99 except the 1st season. It was, and still is, $24.99.

I also notice that when some things go on "sale" -- the sale price appears to be the same price it was before it went on sale.

More recently, it looks like some content was raised up in price, from what they were before.

Anyway, what bugs me more is content they have listed that is not freed to watch, is not for rent and is not for sale. For instance, currently, The Time of the Doctor (listed as Doctor Who: Season 1) has a "Sale" tag on it. However, you can't buy it as a season, (you buy the individual episodes, of which one is grayed out). Why it is on "sale" but has no price to buy it?

Comment

A new thread was added today with an interesting fact - Disney just RAISED all of their SD prices to $17.99 to match HDX prices!!!! LOL

What Is this a case of?

A. - Disney home entertainment exec thinking - 'Wow, our sales on SD titles at $10 are decent and our deep catalog titles are flat at $18 hmmmmmm oh wait yes I can FIX THIS!!!! We'll just simply raise the rates of our SD titles to $17.99 so consumers will not really have a choice to buy at a less expensive level! Then they will certainly buy all of their titles at the $18 price point!!!! (Where's my raise supervisor????)

B. - Corporate mandate from top of Home Entertainment that the future ongoing focus of their business will be Disney Plus subscriptions, and that digital purchases will be discouraged by raising (or maintaining) crazy high price points. (Very Cruel, Disney!!!)

C. - Or finally, the most consumer friendly and least greedy appearing - hopefully some kind of computer or communication glitch that occurred and in due time those SD prices will be lowered back to $9.99, AND HDX prices will be lowered down to $12.99 with the understanding that the hard working families that wish to purchase digital product from their studios would greatly appreciate that (whether or not they are subscribers to Disney +) especially in these difficult times caused by the Covid19 Pandemic. (if I were to guess, the least likely, unfortunately esp. since other retailers have matched...)

Oh these are turbulent times indeed....

Comment

Working...
                      X