Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Upgrade from HDX to UHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrade from HDX to UHD

Originally posted by OSUGrad2X View Post
    I'm curious if this will work with bluray itunes codes or just from the itunes store.
    Does iTunes differentiate? Redeemed movies show as a purchase in your account history.

Comment

I swear Apple upgraded SD to HD files a long time ago but I'm not sure, especially since I (currently) use Vudu exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremymc7 View Post
        I swear Apple upgraded SD to HD files a long time ago but I'm not sure, especially since I (currently) use Vudu exclusively.
        I think it might have been a free upgrade from 720p to 1080p when the Apple TV got upgraded

Comment

Originally posted by Cranston37 View Post
          I think it might have been a free upgrade from 720p to 1080p when the Apple TV got upgraded
          That's a great deal for those Apple owners. Upgraded to 1080p and soon to 4k all for FREE.

I always wanted the best picture and sound, which meant Vudu. Apple was always behind the leader. Soon, very soon though Apple will be in a similar level to Vudu.

Comment

All this comparison to physical media really needs to stop. With physical media you have so many other costs to consider -- producing the actual physical media (discs, cases, covers, inserts), all the time, research, and energy in estimating correct production runs (how many discs do you make?), delivery costs both in direct-to-consumer and retail, if there's a problem with the discs (rare, I'm sure) then you have recovery/replacement costs, warehousing costs for the physical media that you produce, reprinting if you underestimated demand, and on and on not to mention all the manpower needed to manage all that inventory (estimate demand, store, stock, ship, etc). The costs for delivering digitally are surely minuscule compared to the costs of delivering physical media; the studios themselves aren't even responsible for digital delivery either (that would be Vudu, iTunes, Amazon, etc. that are providing the network infrastructure). The other studio benefit to going digital would be that it eliminates cannibalization of profits from used-disc sales -- if you buy something on disc, then you can sell that disc, and it can be resold again and again blocking the studio from any potential profit each time. With digital, that just can't happen.

There are a ton of upsides for studios in digital deliver. While there are a lot of upsides for consumers as well (mostly convenience) there are several downsides to consumers that really need to be addressed:
            • You must maintain an account in whichever digital service you are wanting to use, e.g., Vudu (i.e., no anonymous watching of media)
            • You must have internet capable of streaming the movie every time you watch anything
            • You are at the mercy of the service to maintain their systems, maintain quality of service, keep your particular movies available for streaming, remain online, not go out of business, etc.
            • The hardware you use to watch your movies absolutely could become unusable. Compare this to, say, buying a DVD and a DVD player ... if you maintain it, your DVD player will never just stop being able to play your DVDs. On the other hand, a streaming service may eventually become unusable on your current computer. In other words, given enough time, you almost certainly will have to upgrade your hardware just to continue watching your currently purchased media.
            • There is absolutely no way to offset the cost of purchasing movies by selling the ones you don't want anymore. Likewise, there is no way to purchase used media at a reduced price. In other words, to go digital you will likely spend more money more often.

Digital has some unique implementation/delivery differences over physical media that (should) have HUGE implications:
            • Not only is knowing whether someone actually owns a movie is no longer extremely difficult to do, it's built into the system.
            • Delivering any content in the entire catalog to any consumer used to be costly (time and money), but now it's trivial.

However, studios (or maybe Vudu) keep wanting to treat digital the same as physical media: buy a "digital copy" for the same amount of money (even though it costs them less), take on all the additional risks (and some rewards) of letting someone else maintain and store the copy in good faith that both they and you will maintain access to that copy, and force you to repurchase the exact same media if it is made available in a different format.

That last part is particularly salient. With physical media, it makes sense to have to repurchase. If I own a cassette tape, and then buy a CD player, a new physical thing has to be physically produced (and all the associated costs) for me to be able to listen to that same media on a new device. The same is absolutely not true for digital. Vudu doesn't charge me $20 to be able to play on a Roku, and then another $20 to be able to play on an Xbox, and then another $20 to be able to play on a laptop, and so on. For them, it doesn't matter... no matter what, it's a digital stream going out to a device. What's the difference between a HDX and UHD stream? Essentially, the amount of data going out. I can see the justification for charging a little bit more for UHD vs HDX because higher resolution = larger storage and stream requirements, but a complete repurchase?

Studios/Vudu should be incentivizing customers to choose digital (which saves them production and distribution costs and eliminates used sales) by offering a clear upgrade path. A consumer that knows that there is a clear upgrade path to their purchases is probably much more likely to purchase and is probably much more likely to upgrade (rather than repurchase). Heck, I thought that's what HDX was at first... it's HD, but if you pay the extra for "X" then you will always have access to the highest res version of the movie down the road. I was sadly mistaken, but this is an option that should seriously be considered. If you could pay $30 for the UHD version or $40 for the... we'll call it... "Forever HD" version (you will always be able to access the highest res version available), which would you pick? I would pick the FHD one every time. Would I spend $30 to buy the same movie I paid $30 to buy on UHD, which I paid $20 to buy on HD? Nope. Would I spend $30 to get the UHD version of a movie I already paid $25 for for the HD blu-ray... nope. Would I spend $5-10 to upgrade that same movie (and most other movies in my library) to UHD... you bet.

The bottom line is that keeping the whole "repurchase" mindset I don't think is so much about greed as it is momentum (keep doing what you've always done) and a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences between the new media (digital) and old (physical) and customers' mindsets. If they really understood those then greed would dictate that they offer upgrade pricing.

...ok that was long and rambling. Hopefully something I wrote made sense to someone!

Comment

That's a great deal for those Apple owners. Upgraded to 1080p and soon to 4k all for FREE.

I always wanted the best picture and sound, which meant Vudu. Apple was always behind the leader. Soon, very soon though Apple will be in a similar level to Vudu.
              When Apple is providing a free upgrade to 4K for available titles you already own in HD, yet Vudu is asking me to pay another $24.99, I wouldn?t say that they are at a similar level. It’s no contest.

My Vudu activity has stopped until I see them match the new industry standard of free upgrades established by Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by tomandshell View Post
                When Apple is providing a free upgrade to 4K for available titles you already own in HD, yet Vudu is asking me to pay another $24.99, I wouldn?t say that they are at a similar level. It?s no contest.

My Vudu activity has stopped until I see them match the new industry standard of free upgrades established by Apple.
                As mentioned previously in one form or another:

I?m far more concerned about UV going under then I used to. At the moment I?ve decided to sit on the fence and see what shakes out in the next so many months. I?ve also started redeeming the iTunes copies of movies that I stopped (double) redeeming years ago when I felt much more comfortable with UV and all the choices for UV providers which have mostly dried up. Also I?ve bought the latest AppleTV which I haven?t bothered with for years. With AppleTV offering Vudu and iTunes and especially with all the increasing instability of Roku it seems like a good choice. Until the shakeout I?ll have a ready to go backup wh never I want. Sure there are titles I have on Vudu that I don?t have on iTunes but I also have (older) titles on iTunes that aren?t on Vudu or are only available in better then SD on iTunes.

Comment

The best picture and sound? No offense to Vudu, since I've been using them for almost ten years now. But streaming is not the best picture and sound. You get that from disc.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt View Post
                    The best picture and sound? No offense to Vudu, since I've been using them for almost ten years now. But streaming is not the best picture and sound. You get that from disc.
                    best picture and sound*

* not including physical media, of digital streaming services.

Comment

Originally posted by ValZho View Post
                      The other studio benefit to going digital would be that it eliminates cannibalization of profits from used-disc sales -- if you buy something on disc, then you can sell that disc, and it can be resold again and again blocking the studio from any potential profit each time.
                      This is why I never understood why digital movies tend to cost more than Bluray movies. Most of my Vudu collection came from UV codes for this reason; a lot of older movies cost between $4 and $10, with a UV code, while the same movie can be anywhere from $10 to $20 on Vudu.

Originally posted by ValZho View Post
                      The bottom line is that keeping the whole "repurchase" mindset I don't think is so much about greed as it is momentum (keep doing what you've always done) and a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences between the new media (digital) and old (physical) and customers' mindsets. If they really understood those then greed would dictate that they offer upgrade pricing.
                      You'd think that giant corporations would understand basic economics--the marginal value of a movie that I already own but in lower resolution is going to be much less than for a movie that I don't own at all. As such, the optimal price for upgrading a movie is not going to be the same as it is for purchasing the movie new.

Comment

Working...
                      X