Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

Vudu Accelerates Plan to OEM its VOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vudu Accelerates Plan to OEM its VOD

Originally posted by tamanaco View Post
    How do I start... The current Vudu interface is not customizable... but in the future it might be... You might choose to remove the Vudu Labs icon on the top right of main page of the Vudu interface. I try to think of the Vudu box as a somewhat customizable TV turner with many stations. In the past you had to live with all those numbers in the dial, but today you can remove the numbers from the dial if they bother you that much. In your case, the Vudu main page you would only have the functions to access the "highly polished content" you want to view. I already do something similar with my SqueezeBox... The menu items can be added or removed from the UI.
    I have to ask, are you ever going to be happy with having other content in your Tivo? If not, doesn't Tivo also offer boxes without the VOD bells and whistles. If they do, you should get one of those.
    If you are saying that I may just be able to remove the Vudu Labs button, the button's existence doesn't bother me. I just said I don't use it. If what you are saying, however is that you envision the Vudu STB remaining and the content from Vudu Labs "promoted" into the first class UI, and you can use the polished UI on top of all kinds of data, then I'm perfectly fine with that. The more content the merrier. My skeptical comments about the "do everything box" were based on the premise that the separation of the Vudu from the non-Vudu content was the way it was going to be in the long term and what Vudu and Tivo have currently done. If you are saying you believe it is going to drastically improve, then I could be quite happy with that.

About the running on the other boxes, you gave a lot of reasons why it wouldn't work very well. My questioning whether it could work well or not was motivated by the original article that specifically mentioned that Vudu was accelerating its plans to run on things like DVD players. I was questioning how they could possibly do that well, for a variety of reasons. I honestly can't tell your positon on that from your post. I just don't see that being an offering I would be interested in.

About the Tivo suggestion that I get one without VOD, I'm happy with my series 3 for the features I use it for. I simply don't think they have done a very good job with VOD. Remember, I said I was fine with both Vudu Labs and Tivo's handling of VOD as long as they didn't interfere with what I use Vudu and Tivo for. I never said that their existence bothered me. If Tivo could find a way to elegantly fold VOD in in a way that was as good as Vudu, then I would consider switching to them for VOD as well. So far that hasn't happened. I'm not opposed to them doing it. I just wouldn't be happy with what they have done so far and what they have done so far makes me wonder if it isn't a pretty tough problem to solve. They do have this new search capability coming out. Maybe that will be something that moves toward a good integrated solution. I will certainly check it out when it gets here.

The bottom line for me is, I want something as nice as the current Vudu interface and user experience is as a front end for VOD. Whoever does that best will get my money. If it includes extra content, great, as long as the interface and user experience don't suffer because of it.
    Last edited by redwein; 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

After hearing about the layoffs, I'm already clearing a space in the closet next to my Beta HiFi VCR , DCC tape deck , MiniDisc Player , D-VHS Player , and HD-DVD Player. oops,I forgot my LaserDisc Player. Looks like I jinxed the Vudu just by buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAKEMAN8 View Post
        After hearing about the layoffs, I'm already clearing a space in the closet next to my Beta HiFi VCR , DCC tape deck , MiniDisc Player , D-VHS Player , and HD-DVD Player. oops,I forgot my LaserDisc Player. Looks like I jinxed the Vudu just by buying one.
        Unless you're the Detroit Lions, your due for a win. Heck, I'm willing to bet some cheese that the Lions will not repeat the perfect failed season (double wager for a win in the first half of the season). Vudu could be the game that changes your luck!

Comment

even know if Hulu...Hulu is growing....Hulu might overtake youtube....partner with Hulu....similar with Hulu....The Hulu ..Hulu... Vudu... Hudu... Vulu...
          Yawn

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Comment

Originally posted by redwein View Post
            The bottom line for me is, I want something as nice as the current Vudu interface and user experience is as a front end for VOD. Whoever does that best will get my money. If it includes extra content, great, as long as the interface and user experience don't suffer because of it.
            Well, I don't know what you want or if Vudu is going to make your dream box. But I'll say it again... Vudu needs to grow its base or get some funding "fast" in order to remain in business as an independent company. They can survive by adding users via additional content channels in the Vudu box, partnering with someone in the media business to provide them with Vudu software and services. Anything that will give a substantial and fast return. Being acquired is another option, but the independence goes out the door.

Enhancing the existing offering for the existing user base is way down in their priorities list. At this point any expense that does not result in quick returns will shorten their runway.

Since my suggestions above are not up to part... I'll stop suggesting them and I'll let the big brains analyze the problem and solve it. But before I go... I'll ask you... given that you've dismissed every thing I said... with Vudu's funding drying out... after your "analysis"... what should Vudu be doing to remain in business?

Comment

Well, I don't know what you want or if Vudu is going to make your dream box.
              I don't see how it's possible that you don't know what I want since I have described it very clearly.

Comment

I'll ask you... given that you've dismissed every thing I said... with Vudu's funding drying out... after your "analysis"... what should Vudu be doing to remain in business?
                Um, that's completely untrue that I dismissed anything you said, let alone everything. And why are you referring to anything discussed on another thread? This thread had nothing to do with "analysis". In fact, I didn't use that word once. My comments on this thread have related to the topic being discussed on this thread only which was Vudu's acceleration of OEMing their software for it to run on other boxes. I thought the other thread was closed and we just agreed to disagree. As for this thread, you have dismissed everything I have said, told me I didn't know anything about streaming, responded to my posts in a way that completely ignores almost every thing I said, etc., while all I did was asked some questions about how anyone saw Vudu's stated plans playing out and gave my opinion about what I liked and what I didn't about the way things currently are and the way it seemed like things were going based on the OP. I also gave some insight as to my reasoning. I honestly can't see how your responses even followed from my posts.

BTW, please notice that on this thread that I even acknowledged that Vudu would need to do whatever it takes to stay alive. I simply stated that I hoped that at the end of it all, I would still like using the product. Exactly what is wrong with that?
                Last edited by redwein; 01-28-2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Bottom line of this thread: OEM'ing their software is a good move. It has been done many times in many industries and there is safety in numbers. Heck, even Tivo was rumored for years to be dying and that really dried up after they licensed their software to Comcast and Cox (and it still is just in Beta, but the rumors died). That gave more people confidence and Tivo's stand alone sales rose considerably.It would be great to have Vudu on Time Warner Boxes, tivo boxes, in LG, Samsung and Sony "connected" TVs and in many 2.0 Blu-Ray players.

Comment

Originally posted by larrs View Post
                    Bottom line of this thread: OEM'ing their software is a good move. It has been done many times in many industries and there is safety in numbers. Heck, even Tivo was rumored for years to be dying and that really dried up after they licensed their software to Comcast and Cox (and it still is just in Beta, but the rumors died). That gave more people confidence and Tivo's stand alone sales rose considerably.It would be great to have Vudu on Time Warner Boxes, tivo boxes, in LG, Samsung and Sony "connected" TVs and in many 2.0 Blu-Ray players.
                    Completely agree with your post... Even just initiating "exploratory" talks with the "potential" of signing an agreement to OEM Vudu software to one of those players would have a positive impact. They need to change the perception out there. Seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel would give Venture Capitalist an incentive to look at Vudu again, reset their perception and release some funding. At this point, it's all about positively changing future expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by larrs View Post
                      I dont' disagree. But that still does leave the questions of what form that would take and how closely the end result will resemble the Vudu of Today as far as polish and functionality are concerned (e.g. will it be a least common denominator solution, just a content provider, etc.). In the Tivo/Comcast case, it's easier to see since Tivo could theoretically just replace Comcast's DVR interface with their own, thus making it work just like a Tivo. It's less clear in the Vudu case. I'm still curious about that and it shouldn't be viewed negatively to ask. I think those are interesting things to discuss on this discussion board. So far there haven't been a lot of answers.
                      Last edited by redwein; 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I dont' disagree. But that still does leave the questions of what form that would take and how closely the end result will resemble the Vudu of Today as far as polish and functionality (e.g. will it be a least common denominator solution, just a content provider, etc.). I'm still curious about that and it shouldn't be viewed negatively to ask. I think those are interesting things to discuss on this discussion board. So far there hasn't been a lot of answers.
                        Well, if you follow my train of thought from one of my previous posts regarding splitting VUDU into two separate divisions (or profit centers) where one involves only being a content provider for acquiring and disseminating movie content and the other for VUDU hardware mfg and sales that promotes and supports the VUDU box to be used by multiple content service providers to disseminate their content, I could see the content arm just focusing on providing content in multiple formats that are made to be compatable with the various devices out there that can display content.

With that vision, the VUDU content division would provide content in multiple forms and formats. So even though they may partner with someone like LG, the movie content may come from VUDU, but the interface may look nothing like the one on the VUDU box nor the content have the same quality.

Then the Hardware division would focus on adapting multiple content providers to present their content in a format that's compatible (or complies) with the VUDU rich viewing experience. They would be content provider agnostic and he VUDU content division would simply be one of those customers for the VUDU box.

Comment

Ok. I can clearly see that. I wonder if that's what they are thinking. From the OP, it sounded like they were OEMing their software which more sounded like Vudu running on a DVD player, rather than just providing content for it. Also, assuming they do become a content provider, where will they provide this content from? Will it be all of our Vudu P2P boxes, even though the DVD player isn't a peer? Will they add servers to provide the content? That sounds like a big investment and somewhat inconsistent with what the financial realities seem to be.

Comment

Ok. I can clearly see that.
                            That's a first for me, thanks!!!

As you suggest, the devil is in the details.

Comment

Working...
                            X