Announcement

Collapse

Fandango at Home Forum Guidelines

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

The Fandango at Home Forums are designed to help viewers get the most out of their Fandango at Home experience. Here, Fandango at Home customers may post information, questions, ideas, etc. on the subject of Fandango at Home and Fandango at Home -related issues (home theater, entertainment, etc). Although the primary purpose of these forums is to help Fandango at Home customers with questions and/or problems with their Fandango at Home service, there are also off-topic areas available within the Fandango at Home Forums for users to chat with like-minded people, subject to the limitations below.

Please post all comments in English. When posting a comment in the Fandango at Home Forums, please conduct yourself in a respectful and civil manner. While we respect that you may feel strongly about an issue, please leave room for discussion.

Fandango at Home reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party reserves the right to refrain from posting and/or to remove user comments, including comments that contain any of the following:

1. Obscenities, defamatory language, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
2. Email addresses, phone numbers, links to websites, physical addresses or other forms of contact information
3. "Spam" content, references to other products, advertisements, or other offers
4. Spiteful or inflammatory comments about other users or their comments
5. Comments that may potentially violate the DMCA or any other applicable laws
6. Comments that discuss ways to manipulate Fandango at Home products/services, including, but not limited to, reverse engineering, video extraction, and file conversion.

Additionally, please keep in mind that although Fandango at Home retains the right to monitor, edit, and/or remove posts within Fandango at Home Forums, it does not necessarily review every comment. Accordingly, specific questions about Fandango at Home products and services should be directed to Fandango at Home customer service representatives.

Terms of Use - User Comments, Feedback, Reviews, Submissions

For all reviews, comments, feedback, postcards, suggestions, ideas, and other submissions disclosed, submitted or offered to Fandango at Home, on or through this Site, by e-mail or telephone, or otherwise disclosed, submitted or offered in connection you use of this Site (collectively, the "Comments") you grant Fandango at Home a royalty-free, irrevocable, transferable right and license to use the Comments however Fandango at Home desires, including, without limitation, to copy, modify, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and /or distribute such Comments and/or incorporate such Comments into any form, medium or technology throughout the world.
Fandango at Home will be entitled to use, reproduce, disclose, modify, adapt, create derivative works from, publish, display and distribute any Comments you submit for any purpose whatsoever, without restriction and without compensating you in any way. Fandango at Home is and shall be under no obligation (1) to maintain any Comments in confidence; (2) to pay to users any compensation for any Comments; or (3) to respond to any user Comments. You agree that any Comments submitted by you to the Site will not violate the terms in this Terms of Use or any right of any third party, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, privacy or other personal or proprietary right(s), and will not cause injury to any person or entity. You further agree that no Comments submitted by you to this Site will be or contain libelous or otherwise unlawful, threatening, abusive or obscene material, or contain software viruses, political campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any form of "spam."

You grant Fandango at Home the right to use the name that you submit in connection with any Comments. You agree not to use a false email address, impersonate any person or entity, otherwise mislead as to the origin of any Comments you submit. You are, and shall remain, solely responsible for the content of any Comments you make and you agree to indemnify Fandango at Home for all claims resulting from any Comments you submit. Fandango at Home takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Comments submitted by you or any third-party.
See more
See less

As of Jan 2020, what are the audio/video bitrates for Vudu 4K UHD streams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As of Jan 2020, what are the audio/video bitrates for Vudu 4K UHD streams?

Hello VUDU team,

I'm looking into the best streaming platform for 4K movies. I'm using the native VUDU app on an LG OLED 4K TV.

As of Jan 2020, what are the audio/video bitrates for VUDU 4K UHD streams?

Anyone have intel on this^ ?

Comment

It hasn't changed since it was introduced. Still tops out at 15Mbps.

Comment

Originally posted by bestquality View Post
        It hasn't changed since it was introduced. Still tops out at 15Mbps.
        Thanks for chiming in Bestquality.

Wow still at 15 mbps. I was hoping things would've improved by now. I've been digging around and it seems some other platforms can maintain an avg bitrate of about 25 mbps on streaming 4K.

I do hope that VUDU will improve the video/audio bitrates in the near future.

Comment

I don't understand this. Why would the movie studios provide different bitrate encodes to different providers? I don't believe they would. I believe the file is the same no matter who the provider is. The bitrate to which it arrives to your device is subject to so many factors. for bestquality, it happens to be 15Mpbs. Unless of course the provider caps outgoing bandwidth with some kind of throttle or QoS settings, I can believe that part.

Unfortunately, i have no way of determining what my bitrate might be.

Comment

Yeah, I would like to know how to determine the bitrate. Does someone have a method they can share?

Comment

If you go through an AVR, the AVR apps will sometimes show the audio/video bitrates. I believe my Denon app does that but it's been a long time sine I checked.

389 UHD
              765 HDX
              3 SD

Comment

Originally posted by SinGA View Post
                I don't understand this. Why would the movie studios provide different bitrate encodes to different providers? I don't believe they would. I believe the file is the same no matter who the provider is. The bitrate to which it arrives to your device is subject to so many factors. for bestquality, it happens to be 15Mpbs. Unless of course the provider caps outgoing bandwidth with some kind of throttle or QoS settings, I can believe that part.

Sorry, but most of this is not true. Different providers do get different versions of films, you can see this with different aspect ratios at different providers. And different providers do stream at different but rates. 15 is not the best quality or the maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Ghost View Post

Sorry, but most of this is not true. Different providers do get different versions of films, you can see this with different aspect ratios at different providers. And different providers do stream at different but rates. 15 is not the best quality or the maximum.
                  That's crazy! I only use Vudu as a provider, so I wouldnt know. And, I usually watch the disc, and use Vudu as a "backup".

Another +1 for physical media.

Comment

I don't understand this. Why would the movie studios provide different bitrate encodes to different providers? I don't believe they would. I believe the file is the same no matter who the provider is. The bitrate to which it arrives to your device is subject to so many factors. for bestquality, it happens to be 15Mpbs.
                    Each provider has their own encoding specs for customer delivery. Vudu's UHD target is 15Mbps. That's not my connection, that's the highest bitrate Vudu will deliver to customers today. I don't think the OP was asking about their own connection but Vudu's specs generally.

Eeach provider has certain customer devices that need to work and maximum bitrates they're willing to pay for whether it's storage costs for their content delivery network or bandwidth costs. Vudu's 9Mbps bitrates for HDX were better than the industry for a long time but they've fallen behind the competition when it comes to UHD.

Comment

Originally posted by bestquality View Post

Each provider has their own encoding specs for customer delivery. Vudu's UHD target is 15Mbps. That's not my connection, that's the highest bitrate Vudu will deliver to customers today. I don't think the OP was asking about their own connection but Vudu's specs generally.

Eeach provider has certain customer devices that need to work and maximum bitrates they're willing to pay for whether it's storage costs for their content delivery network or bandwidth costs. Vudu's 9Mbps bitrates for HDX were better than the industry for a long time but they've fallen behind the competition when it comes to UHD.
                      i'm a storage admin so i understand what you're saying. that's crazy if that's the way it works. another +1 for physical media.

Comment

Physical media will always beat out streaming media, provided there is physical media with what you are looking at. When just looking at streaming providers, Vudu does do better than Amazon Prime (average bitrate 10 Mbps and peak 13 Mbps) and FandangoNow (average bitrate somewhere over 10 Mbps but no Dolby Vision or Atmos). Apple TV (ITunes Movies) tops the list at average bitrate of 25 Mbps, Movies Anywhere also at 25 Mbps, and even Netflix averages 17 Mbps, and while it is positive that Vudu does both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, while their target may be 15 Mbps, from what I have seen from independent testing puts Vudu averaging right at 14 Mbps, putting them behind Apple, Movies Anywhere, and Netflix. With over 10 Mbps between the top and the bottom, there's no special equipment needed to see the difference as it becomes obvious when comparing. While putting out all these numbers, they are all relative because it is not taking into consideration TV brand and format, what box or format is being used to stream. There are so many variables involved 100 different people could conduct the same tests as these numbers come from and the numbers would skew up and down based on equipment brand, etc. etc. etc. Personally, I am a big fan of Vudu's Disc + Digital as I try to maintain both physical media library and digital libraries as well, and because of that, Vudu comes out on top for me, because I can buy a new release in 4K and get the digital early and the disc on release day, which is a pretty good service.

Comment

Bitrate is not the definitely of quality, that's just the amount of data that your movie requires. There are many different video encoding technolgies and the more advanced ones boast of greater detail at the same, or lower, bitrate. Check out HEVEC (H.265), VP9, H.264, MPEG-2 etc. Visual quality does not have a perfectly trusted, argument-ending objective measurement. There are some, but what it comes down to is your preference and the visual experience you have as a user. Has anyone done a double-blind objective side-by-side comparison?

I have an anecodtal story. Just the other day I was watching The Hobbit, which I have not seen since it was in theaters. I bought it on iTunes and I was excited to watch it in 4K, since it was just released. However, on iTunes I was dissappointed in the 4K version, it just was blurrier than I expected. This is admitedly just an opinion. I watched almost to the end, still disappointed. I checked a YouTube video comparing Disney+ to 4K Blueray on an OLED TV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbN00Sm0Bsg&t=26s). But I remember HD+ on Vudu and all my movies are shared through MoviesAnywhere, so I picked up where I had left off on Vudu. And the quality was immediately noticable to me. There were more highlights and sharp details. The picture wasn't as blurry and it appeared to have sharper edges around hair. So I would say Vudu has the best UHD video I have seen, from this example.

Comment

Had similar results on the Apple app. 4K streams look very soft to me. Same movie on Vudu looks sharper and has better colors. Sticking with VUDU for digital viewing

Comment

I believe that is correct- the studios provide the exact same master files to all retail providers (and its a very large file- probably the equivalent of the physical UHD Disc and then the retailers individually create their own encoded files at their various bitrates, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X